Just back from Hershey Park

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
Just back from a trip to Hershey Park. Since that topic comes up so often here feel free to PM me for specific questions related to budget. I am glad to help. The first thing I can tell you is that the lunch ticket deal is NOT a bargain. I got 4 thinking it would save us $$ but it was a break even proposition at best. If we went again then I would buy 1 or 2 of thise to get the deal with the refillable cup, but buy the rest of meals a la carte!

Hey we were there this weekend too! We spent $70 on lunch!:scared1: There are 6 of us and we actually shared and only got 5 meals and yet still $70. Made Disney seem cheap.
But we did have a great time. And the weather was perfect for us. Not too hot, not too cold.

We went last weekend on the first day they opened. We spent 48 dollars on lunch for 3 people, and only one of us got a soda! But the cheap ticket price and beautiful weather made up for the expensive lunch.

We were there as well! We're a family of 5 (me, DH, DS10, DS8, DD6). We have a refill cup and share beverages. We usually purchase one meal in Hershey and then have second meal (brought in to Chocolate World from the cooler we keep in the car) followed by the outrageous Hershey's milk shakes. We have season passes and do day trips to Hershey all through the summer rather than a big family vacation. In past years I was allowed to bring a cooler jug filled with ice water into the park. This time they made me empty it before entering. Not really a problem since you can get cups of ice water at any of the food counters. The sweet security officer at the gate suggested I bring the cooler in empty and fill with cups of ice water which I think is a good idea, esp since the food lines in the boardwalk area in the heat of the day are a mile long.

I know it's not Disney, but it's close and it's clean and we really enjoy it!

Forgot to mention...with the season passes we get a 15% discount on food, the refill cup, refills and we get free parking!

Season passholder too!

If you purchase the season pass by the end of September for the following year you can get a discount. "Santa" paid $120.00 each for both adult and child.

Ditto on the Season Passes. So worth it if you live close, just buy them early the year before for the best rates.

Season pass holders here too. Pays for itself on our 3rd day. Free parking, admission, 20% off camp fees, 15% off food. We rarely eat INSIDE the park but did so this past weekend because we were with other friends. 30$ for 3 at Subway. Usually pack 1 bottle of water, package of crackers and big bag of Hershey twizzlers in our backpack for munching. Of course we hit chocolate world both on the way IN and on the way OUT. In the summer I splurge for milk and cookies at night before we leave. Kid's are older now and still love milk and cookies:)

We went to hershepark last summer, and it made Disney food look cheap :scared1:
It was insane how expensive the food was.
I was in shock most of the day after we ate.........LOL:rotfl:

We went on Good Friday with the beautiful weather. I have to disagree a little. While I thought it was very clean and the staff very nice, the lines were way too long and the food was insanely expensive. I almost felt like they had let too many people into the park. I guess I'm used to Disney Fastpass and not waiting on lines, but I was fed up by about 3pm. We're in PA and we love Dorney Park! I guess my expectations were really high but after paying $17 for 3 pretzels and 2 waters and riding only about 3 rides in about 90minutes, I was not feeling the love. And don't get me wrong, I love me some Hershey but afterall, rides are rides. After getting off the Reese's Extreme Challenge Ride, my kids turned to me and said "mom, it's not as good as the Buzz Lightyear ride." LOL

The park was dead Sunday after 4 PM. We hit tons of rides. I walked onto the Great Bear and was one of about 10 folks on the whole ride! The only complaint was rather than send it empty they waited a couple of minutes to see if anyone got in line! Soooo dead. Walked right onto the Sports cars and Turnpike Old Time cars with the 2 year old (often long line for these as it is a slow loader). Just like Diz, you have to be there early, be there late .... go against the crowd flow. Hit Choc World on way out to get a dozen cookies for the road. Yummy!

The park was dead Sunday after 4 PM. We hit tons of rides. I walked onto the Great Bear and was one of about 10 folks on the whole ride! The only complaint was rather than send it empty they waited a couple of minutes to see if anyone got in line! Soooo dead. Walked right onto the Sports cars and Turnpike Old Time cars with the 2 year old (often long line for these as it is a slow loader). Just like Diz, you have to be there early, be there late .... go against the crowd flow. Hit Choc World on way out to get a dozen cookies for the road. Yummy!

How could I forget the cookies!? I got 6 for the deal price- and it was actually not crazy expensive(the $2 milk was) But that chocolate cookie with peanut butter chips was so stinking delicious! I want to drive back out there to get another!

Yeah, I think it is about $10 for a dozen. That isn't too bad considering this are not any run-of-the-mill cookies. That are big and GOOD. I mean GOOD. We often drive up just to buy them, ride the singing cow ride (didn't used to have the cows), and buy a few other "new release" candies to try.

This thread hits home as we were in Washington DC, this weekend at my brothers house. Sure the museams are free, except it cost $85 for lunch for my family of 5. WOW!!! stopped at Hershey on the way home just to do Chocolate World, another $80 lunch!!!! This is why you can't take a family anywhere that is reasonable. Let's face it, both lunches I am sure had a cost to the place of $10. Do they really have to gouge everyone?????

This thread hits home as we were in Washington DC, this weekend at my brothers house. Sure the museams are free, except it cost $85 for lunch for my family of 5. WOW!!! stopped at Hershey on the way home just to do Chocolate World, another $80 lunch!!!! This is why you can't take a family anywhere that is reasonable. Let's face it, both lunches I am sure had a cost to the place of $10. Do they really have to gouge everyone?????

Agreed. Their prices for food & souveniers make Disney look like Wal-Mart. I guess they figure they have a shorter time period to make a profit, so they hit us as hard as they can.

Feeling your pain on the prices. We were in Atlanta for the weekend and avoided eating at the aquarium and Fernbank museum, but did eat at the Zoo. 2 kids' meal hotdogs with chips and drinks, 1 order of fries, 1 order of chicken strips, 1 regular Coke, 1 regular lemonade: $28. The 4 of us shared 3 meals. We can get 4 meals at WDW for $30.

Don't even ask about the food at Turner Field. :scared1:

The last time we went to Sea World, I thought their prices were a lot higher than Disney's. It was over $40 for 4 lunches.

We went on Good Friday with the beautiful weather. I have to disagree a little. While I thought it was very clean and the staff very nice, the lines were way too long and the food was insanely expensive. I almost felt like they had let too many people into the park. I guess I'm used to Disney Fastpass and not waiting on lines, but I was fed up by about 3pm. We're in PA and we love Dorney Park! I guess my expectations were really high but after paying $17 for 3 pretzels and 2 waters and riding only about 3 rides in about 90minutes, I was not feeling the love. And don't get me wrong, I love me some Hershey but afterall, rides are rides. After getting off the Reese's Extreme Challenge Ride, my kids turned to me and said "mom, it's not as good as the Buzz Lightyear ride." LOL

To be fair, that's like saying you went to WDW Easter weekend, and were surprised it was crowded! We've always gone weekdays in June, and it's great! We once went in May on a Thursday, and it was dead.

To the poster regarding smithsonian lunch prices in comparison. Did that last week too. Lunch for 3 (hotdogs etc) 40$ and Metro cost $37 for 3 for one ride into the city and one ride back out to Rockville:sad2:

We live in MD and went to DC Friday. It cost 35.00 for us to ride the metro! I know things cost more now but when I was a kid the Metro was the cheapest and easiest way to go. Next time we might just drive down and pay to park.

Karen

I took 5 kids (one under 5 so no charge) to the National Zoo the monday after Easter. I called DH after getting on the metro to tell him that a day pass is now $8 something. We got there after 930 (cheaper fare) so I paid $12.25 for us to ride in from Shady Grove. I waited to buy the return tickets to see how long the kids would last (got really warm) Glad I did since we were back on the Metro before 3pm (cheaper fare) and paid another $12.25 for the return trip. Then 4.75 for parking. I packed a lunch and drinks. So for 29.25 plus gas (about an hour away) to get to and from the metro station we had a good time. It was the first trip on the metro and the DC zoo for the 3 boys that I took along.

ps. no sooner than I got home, DH called and said that he was bumped and would be flying into Reagan National instead of BWI. 30 mins later had to make a 2 hour car ride to pick him up and a 2 hour car ride home :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter