Just Back from 2 Days. Some Thoughts and My Experience

Well I will be one of them come August. Myself (grandmother), my sons mom in law (Grandma2) and three grandkids ages 5, 7, and 9. It was a combination of this being a special trip, not relying the whole trip on my tech skills ( ok, but not like the kids of today, for sure! I should probably give the phone to the 9 year old!) The other adult does NOT do tech, she only recently upgraded from a flip phone and mostly will facetime with grandkids and text. Wanting to be present and keep an eye on grandkids and not phone, at least until I get a handle on the park and the app. My mom recently passed, and Im using some of the money she left me for special family experiences, this is one of them. One of my grandkids will have a DAS due to some anxiety/sensory issues, so this helps me not have to be on a schedule for LL on the rides she doesn't want to do. First day in a new place is more challenging for her.

For some I'm sure if they are spliting the cost between a few families or friends, it's probably not much more than people dropping $$$ on lightsabers or restaurants like Napa Rose.
I wasn’t trying to pass judgment I was commenting on an observation. I do suppose splitting it among 6-8 people can be somewhat cost effective.

I forgot to add this tidbit and was reminded by a YouTube video today.

Last Thursday and Friday I saw the most private VIP tours I’ve ever seen. I would say no less than 10 of the plaid vests guiding folks around both parks over the two days. How do so many people have that kind of dough?!?
I feel like there's a lot of pent up energy from the pandemic and people are spending all their vacation budget from their last few years all at once, which is probably also what's driving such high numbers for Genie+ users. It would be interesting to see how much that goes down as the months pass. I think the last few years have also made people think about valuing their time with loved ones differently and maybe splurging for a VIP tour guide for a day with higher quality time spent with loved ones is worth it.

I been seeing a trend on these boards also, people casually throwing around numbers in the tens of thousands talking about trip
prices, DVC and other things…..

Disney is going for that demographic now. The “budget” threads are dying….

Its kinda sad to see it in action, people being priced out of WDW after years of loyal patronage.

But that their business model now. Like many things soon to only be affordable yo the upper classes.

It not a judgement, its just the reality.

I just tallied my upcoming WDW trip where I’m renting DVC points to save some dough and I’m just over $3k for just me. Plane/tickets/hotels though, I did spend an extra $300 upgrading to “first” class for my flight out there. It’s about $1k over what I thought I’d spent or what I wanted to. I used a yearly bonus to pay for it all and maybe was a bit impulsive but it’s been 11 years since I’ve been. I also haven’t gone on a vacation in many years. It’s a lot of money and I know it’ll be worth it. I don’t know how these YouTubers go from the UK multiple times a year or from across the country multiple on-property trips a year.

I just tallied my upcoming WDW trip where I’m renting DVC points to save some dough and I’m just over $3k for just me. Plane/tickets/hotels though, I did spend an extra $300 upgrading to “first” class for my flight out there. It’s about $1k over what I thought I’d spent or what I wanted to. I used a yearly bonus to pay for it all and maybe was a bit impulsive but it’s been 11 years since I’ve been. I also haven’t gone on a vacation in many years. It’s a lot of money and I know it’ll be worth it. I don’t know how these YouTubers go from the UK multiple times a year or from across the country multiple on-property trips a year.

With $3K, you could stay at an off-site hotel that includes free shuttles to Disney World for an entire month. DVC is a discount for certain deluxe resorts but never a cheap way to visit WDW.

But if you must stay at a Deluxe Resort, you could sign up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred with 80K bonus and a Marriott credit card with 3 free night certificates as your sign up bonus. You use 20K Chase points per person to fly United Airlines domestic using a Turkish Airlines transfer. You use those 3 free night certificates and some additional Marriott points for 4 nights at the Swan, Dolphin or Swan Reserve. After accounting for the fuel surcharges, resort fees and annual fees on the credit cards, the total cost of hotels and transportation for an entire family from anywhere in the US would still be less than $500.

For YouTubers, Disney trips would be business expenses. Not only would they be tax write offs but if spending 10K on a trip to WDW could earn them more than that from YouTube, it's an investment, not a cost. A restaurant owner is going to spend on rent, ingredients, etc in order to make money. It's the same here.

With $3K, you could stay at an off-site hotel that includes free shuttles to Disney World for an entire month. DVC is a discount for certain deluxe resorts but never a cheap way to visit WDW.

But if you must stay at a Deluxe Resort, you could sign up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred with 80K bonus and a Marriott credit card with 3 free night certificates as your sign up bonus. You use 20K Chase points per person to fly United Airlines domestic using a Turkish Airlines transfer. You use those 3 free night certificates and some additional Marriott points for 4 nights at the Swan, Dolphin or Swan Reserve. After accounting for the fuel surcharges, resort fees and annual fees on the credit cards, the total cost of hotels and transportation for an entire family from anywhere in the US would still be less than $500.

For YouTubers, Disney trips would be business expenses. Not only would they be tax write offs but if spending 10K on a trip to WDW could earn them more than that from YouTube, it's an investment, not a cost. A restaurant owner is going to spend on rent, ingredients, etc in order to make money. It's the same here.
I’m not spending $3k on lodging alone nor have I ever stayed I was doing a budget ir cheap trip. I don’t go very often (read: once a decade) and it is a special occasion so I went with the convenience of BWV and BLT for my stay. I’ll be able to walk and not take the buses. Plus, I was able to afford my trip. I don’t do credit cards and paid cash. Stayed within my budget as well.

I’m the type of person who does enjoy time in the room and having a nicer room with amenities and a better geographic location is worth the added expense for me. I will never stay at poo century again ever. I just can’t. I don’t want to hassle with an off site stay. If I can’t afford to stay there at the level I desire then I don’t go. It’s not a drug for me that i have to find any way possible to go. I go when can afford to. YMMV and that’s totally cool too.

As for the YouTubers only a handful of them are actually breaking even making a profit on their videos. Contrary to popular belief, not many of them are making $10k off a series of let’s say 5 videos for a single trip.
Unless they have several hundred thousand subscribers.

The fish tacos, pretzel bites and tuna poke at Ballast Point are the best stuff there. I love them.

I never find myself on the phone that much with G+. I book my next ride the second after I check in at LL and the phone goes away. I see a lot of people saying this and I just don't understand what y'all are doing wrong

The fish tacos, pretzel bites and tuna poke at Ballast Point are the best stuff there. I love them.

I never find myself on the phone that much with G+. I book my next ride the second after I check in at LL and the phone goes away. I see a lot of people saying this and I just don't understand what y'all are doing wrong
Apparently you’re just superior to us.

Wow, thank you for these tips.

@CoachBeard,

Thank you for your review.

I am much like you. I rent DVC because I love the convenience, amenities and Disney ambiance.

I am also recently going back to solo travel and took a semi solo trip. This made me realize that I can be comfortable traveling solo again. Next stop Disneyland in Fall.

Have a wonderful time in WDW. I know you will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter