Just Back (Dec 3-11). Refreshing for 7 & HS FP Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loving this thread...learned so much already. I am still a bit confused about he opening window for modifying
lets say I have 3 fp+ 9-10, 10-11,, 11-12,. Once I scan in at 9 if I want to move up my 10 and I try to modify to move it up to 930 will it give options in the 930-11 range and also after 12 because of my 11-12.

Also Reluctant I am considering purchasing the club level passes as well. The CM told me they couldnt overlap times with my regular. How did you work that out? Is it ok to pm you for more specifics?

I am loving this thread...learned so much already. I am still a bit confused about he opening window for modifying
lets say I have 3 fp+ 9-10, 10-11,, 11-12,. Once I scan in at 9 if I want to move up my 10 and I try to modify to move it up to 930 will it give options in the 930-11 range and also after 12 because of my 11-12.

Also Reluctant I am considering purchasing the club level passes as well. The CM told me they couldnt overlap times with my regular. How did you work that out? Is it ok to pm you for more specifics?

Yes, feel free to PM me. :)

We stacked our FP+ one after the other -- 10 am, 11 am, noon, 1 pm (CL), 2 pm (CL), 3pm (CL) (I think maybe once we built in an hour or two break for an ADR between the sets). But we scheduled the free FP+ first on most days so we could start modifying them to earlier times as soon as we tapped in at the first ride.

We were told by DSS that none of the FP times could overlap when we called to schedule them. There has been one report by a DISer that they were allowed to overlap them, though -- so YMMV. Sometimes with that kind of stuff it's the luck of the draw on the CM you happen to get. Also, the subsequent free FP+ we pulled as 4th and beyond, the MDE system would not allow to overlap with our CL ones.

HTH, but again, feel free to PM me if you need more info! :)

If you tap your first FP around 9 you could then look to modify the 2nd FP. You won't be able to choose a time that would overlap the 3rd FP when modifying FP#2. There really isn't much point in doing that anyways though because then you'd be moving it later rather than getting to use more FP's. In tiered parks I like to have used my first 3 FP's in the first hour if possible (unless specific scheduling for the day dictates otherwise).

If you tap your first FP around 9 you could then look to modify the 2nd FP. You won't be able to choose a time that would overlap the 3rd FP when modifying FP#2. There really isn't much point in doing that anyways though because then you'd be moving it later rather than getting to use more FP's. In tiered parks I like to have used my first 3 FP's in the first hour if possible (unless specific scheduling for the day dictates otherwise).

Yes, thank you that is exactly what I want to accomplish...move up the times so that I can get to the 4th :-)

Can confirm. Even though I’m not going till the end of the month and have an open FP slot, I check the 9:31 and 2:31 drops about every other day, and I get a little rush each time I’m able to snag fast passes for SDD for four (as well as the other two being available). Here’s to hoping it lasts.
Wait.. so I can try this in advance? I’m going in February... should I cancel my toy story fast pass and then try this??

Wait.. so I can try this in advance? I’m going in February... should I cancel my toy story fast pass and then try this??

No, for those of us with AP's or tickets linked with available FP dates, we can look for FP's day of. So I can watch this afternoon for FP's this afternoon (well, up to 30 days out as well).

Ok? So confusing. Have read this post several times... everyday I goto my fp for toy story and hit modify hoping slinky will pop up. It never does... btw what’s an anytime pass that u all speak about

Ok? So confusing. Have read this post several times... everyday I goto my fp for toy story and hit modify hoping slinky will pop up. It never does... btw what’s an anytime pass that u all speak about

In advance there isn't much movement of FP's (there will be a little bit but the odds of catching it are quite low). Night before and day of is when there is the most movement of FP's which is when refreshing to add or modify will be most effective.

If a ride goes down during your FP slot it may cancel your FP and replace it with an Anytime FP. This will normally be able to be used any time during that same day at that same park for most rides. It will include the ride that you had the FP for but may limit some of the rides (you're not going to be able to use it for Flight of Passage if you get it because Everest went down for instance).

In advance there isn't much movement of FP's (there will be a little bit but the odds of catching it are quite low). Night before and day of is when there is the most movement of FP's which is when refreshing to add or modify will be most effective.

If a ride goes down during your FP slot it may cancel your FP and replace it with an Anytime FP. This will normally be able to be used any time during that same day at that same park for most rides. It will include the ride that you had the FP for but may limit some of the rides (you're not going to be able to use it for Flight of Passage if you get it because Everest went down for instance).
Thank you

@JETSDAD We will be at HS on Monday, if you have a chance to check the 9.31 drop this weekend and report back that would be so much appreciated!

Just got back from another great trip. I was nervous going into this one because I rely heavily on refreshing for FP's night before and day of but normally for only 3 people....this trip was 7 people so I didn't know what to expect. Here are some pointers from my trip.

Absolutely break it up into groups of 3 & 4 when refreshing and go for overlapping times when looking for anything popular. Stuff like Dumbo just look for 7, it will be fine. I usually work on the group of 4 first as it will be a bit more difficult and then do the group of 3 to match/overlap.

Will this work for rides such as FOP & SDD? YES! I had the start of the days all nicely laid out with FP's selected and AK planned for 2 days near the end of the trip. After 2 days everyone decided they wanted to do AK the next day! My heart kind of sank a bit knowing that FOP would be the highlight and assuming the odds would be low. That night I was able to get overlapping FP's for the 7 of us for an AM time slot for FOP. One of the things I personally wanted to do this trip was ride SDD at night but of course I was not willing to hold up an entire day of refreshing for 1 evening FP. During the rain one afternoon I managed to get SDD for that night for the 7 of us. The only ride that I didn't look to add day of was 7DMT because we did it once standby right before our MVMCP night and everyone preferred other rides. All other rides we were able to add with reasonably short waits (sometimes we would just go watch a show or grab a snack to fill some time).

It does take more patience and more flexibility than refreshing for a smaller group but it does work.

Now to the Hollywood Studios FP drops. I posted about it a few weeks ago but kind of tucked it away into another thread....didn't want to jinx it for my trip. It is something I watched for weeks leading up to my trip and now can say that for at least 5+ weeks it has worked including during my trip. Every day that I have checked I have noticed 2 FP drops for HS for all of the TSL rides. Same times every day. At 9:31AM it opens up a lot of FP times for all TSL rides including SDD for FP's between 11-12 (start times). At 2:31PM it drops FP's for TSL for 4-5. We used these drops both times one day for SDD. Again we broke it up into 3/4 because I didn't want to risk it not working on a larger group so I do not know how well it works for groups larger than 4. I watched again this morning at 9:31 and it worked. To note, if SDD is down in the morning there is a chance it might not be included in the FP drop (noticed this 1 time a couple of weeks ago). I also do not guarantee this will continue to work but it has been consistent and it did work for us.

I just wanted to post because I do tend to promote refreshing as a great way to plan a trip but also know that many groups are larger than my normal group.
I am planning my first trip in December for the first week 2019 so I was just curious about the temps and crowds. thanks

I am planning my first trip in December for the first week 2019 so I was just curious about the temps and crowds. thanks

Temps are all over the place that time of year. We have done it two years in a row and during a week long period you can go from shorts and t-shirts to being bundled up and quite cold (this from a Canadian). We haven't found the crowds to be bad but just stay away from MK on non-party days.

Okay, now this is epic.

You've obviously helped quite a few people with these great tips, JETSDAD. That's the DIS at its best - when people post golden tips that shine onto the trips of distant strangers.

Years ago, I read on these boards a tip about paper FP that caused a seismic shift for me and transformed every park visit that followed. I wanted to pay it forward, and years later posted a thread about FP that a change in TOS later threw out of gamut. But that thread helped a lot of fellow guests and brought community and friendships into my life that I expect to be lifelong. Yours, too is a golden tip - a tip that causes the FP to rise up to meet you, the lines be always at your back, the drops shine warm upon your MDE, and rains fall soft upon your Anytime FP.

It's true that if podcasters get their teeth in it, the magic at these particular times will end. But FP magic will be reborn again at other times. And happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness. So gather ye FP while ye may, and thanks for the golden tips.

so if planning mid February does anyone know when they may adjust the opening times for the parks... I heard this is a good way to snag fast passes later in the game

so if planning mid February does anyone know when they may adjust the opening times for the parks... I heard this is a good way to snag fast passes later in the game

There really isn't any set date/time they change hours so it makes it hard to try to plan around. Yes, it can work well if they happen to open early and opens up some AM FP's. Extending evening hours doesn't really help though for FP purposes.

There really isn't any set date/time they change hours so it makes it hard to try to plan around. Yes, it can work well if they happen to open early and opens up some AM FP's. Extending evening hours doesn't really help though for FP purposes.
Ok thanks... spending a lot of time trying. To get fop and slinky dog

A lot of following month hours updates occur on the 2nd or 3rd Friday of the month before. Today or next Friday are sort of in the zone for a possible Feb hours update, so keep an eye out (of course, anything is possible). When hours change, FPs are usually loaded in the system within a day or two (it has historically not been instant).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!