Just back and sick as a dog :(

I can't believe I need to point this out to an adult but this is why you cough into a tissue/napkin or your arm!

It sounds like your family needs to be more diligent about hand-washing/hygiene.

Maybe the OP was coughing into a tissue but if there is "stuff" is coming out of your nose the tissue gets wet and it can get on your hands, it's not like a tissue covers your whole hand. I don't see where the OP said she was coughing hacking into her bare hands. I thinks that's an assumption on your part.

I agree and disagree. Yes, hand-washing is best but if people saw a sanitizer pump at a buffet, they would be more apt to use it because it's more convenient. When I gave birth to my children in a great medical center in NYC there was hand sanitizing pumps on the walls outside of every patient's rooms. Nothing is 100% but why not add them?????? What harm would it be for Disney to put sanitizer thru-out wdw? or better yet hand wash stations near food establishments?

Actually, I agree with disney not having them.. My understanding is when those room pumps went in the staff at the hospitals started to get sick more often. They found out they only work for 4-5 times and then they actually do more harm. You just need to properly wash your hands after using it a couple times but I think in the case of somewhere like disney. If that information I was told is accurate we'd see a lot more illness with them out for those that do not know but this is just speculation on my part.

You're out in public, bring the supplies you feel work best for your family with you.

We're just back as of Saturday.

Three of our party got the stomach flu while there. The little one in front of us to see Olaf CLEARLY had croup. We used a ton of hand sanitizer.

Someone is dragging their child thru the parks with croup? People amaze me. Poor child probably felt horrible. So many selfish people in this world, it's scary.

Just got back from an amazing 7 day trip this evening - some terrible tummy flu going around; saw kids throwing up everywhere - in the bushes, on the buses.... I felt very sorry for them and their families and we redoubled our handwashing! Heard some other families talking about norovirus going around.

Despite all that, my 2 1/2 yo grandson started throwing up in Disney Springs this morning, our last day, after we checked out of the resort, threw up again getting out of the taxi at the airport, and then again on the airplane. Poor him, poor us, and I felt sorry for anyone around us, but what else can you do?

Don't know where this belongs...but wonder if disney has more sickness than usual going around (tis the season, I know)

All but one had a bad cold while we were there (we were the sad ones buying cough meds and Kleenex from the gift shop)

Our daughter vomited right before we left.we got home last night and the whole family has a bad stomach bug.

One thing I noticed, there are no hand sanitizer pumps anywhere at disney. We bring our own. But it would be great to have in the food courts and the checkout lanes etc. I was coughing up a lung while getting breakfast and still had to touch the pay pad...was so hoping the older gentleman behind,me disnt pick anything up from,me!
Thanks goodness. That stuff is horrible. I am waiting on the day for it to be banned from use. It causes more harm than good, in my view.

I got violently ill on day 6 of our last trip then DH did the same a couple days later at Universal. Personally I don't think I have ever been as sick in a 24 hour period as that trip. Nothing stayed in me at either end. Only Pedialyte and crackers brought me back to the living. But it was my 12th trip to Disney so I guess the odds finally caught up with me!

Irony is that was the first trip in years that I actually used Hand Sanitizer on a regular basis :rolleyes1

Am I the only one getting a little freaked out reading this thread? :scared:
It's really nothing to freak out over.
Disney is huge with thousands of people. I dare say that it's more people at once than most any one comes in contact with any other time of their lives. So there are germs and lots of them. If you allow yourself contact to germs and allow your body the chance to build ways to fight them off (aka, throw away hand sanitizer and other antibacterial products) you probably will come through fine. If you have any weaknesses then you stand a chance of the germs getting in. I'm of the believe that germs are our friends and make us stronger, not weaker. Those of us without any underlying medical conditions of course. Obviously there are some out there that do have immune system issues due to some conditions

Someone is dragging their child thru the parks with croup? People amaze me. Poor child probably felt horrible. So many selfish people in this world, it's scary.
My middle had croup sooooo many times. I know that cough everywhere. We were standing behind them making the ugh face

OP here.

Wow,never knew sanitizer was so bad. My doctor office has it all,over and my doc always uses it! I know it isn't a cure all, but I figured it was a good first line defense!

I kept thinking, I wish they had a hand wash next to the mug wash!

Hope everyone that has the crud gets better soon. I just had my first food since Sunday night (a cracker lol), so hopefully this bug is on the way out. Fingers crossed!

Am I the only one getting a little freaked out reading this thread? :scared:
You are NOT alone! DH just told me to cancel any and all buffet meals to minimize our risk of illness. Yikes. My skin is crawling! :crazy2:

It's really nothing to freak out over.
Disney is huge with thousands of people. I dare say that it's more people at once than most any one comes in contact with any other time of their lives. So there are germs and lots of them. If you allow yourself contact to germs and allow your body the chance to build ways to fight them off (aka, throw away hand sanitizer and other antibacterial products) you probably will come through fine. If you have any weaknesses then you stand a chance of the germs getting in. I'm of the believe that germs are our friends and make us stronger, not weaker. Those of us without any underlying medical conditions of course. Obviously there are some out there that do have immune system issues due to some conditions

Great! This is exactly what I think.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is not bad. Triclosan, on the other hand, has been banned, but that won't be found in sanitizer anymore. It's true that it doesn't replace hand washing.

Don't know where this belongs...but wonder if disney has more sickness than usual going around (tis the season, I know)

All but one had a bad cold while we were there (we were the sad ones buying cough meds and Kleenex from the gift shop)

Our daughter vomited right before we left.we got home last night and the whole family has a bad stomach bug.

One thing I noticed, there are no hand sanitizer pumps anywhere at disney. We bring our own. But it would be great to have in the food courts and the checkout lanes etc. I was coughing up a lung while getting breakfast and still had to touch the pay pad...was so hoping the older gentleman behind,me disnt pick anything up from,me!
I've said this on many threads here before....wash your hands often! I use to get sick at the parks until I started doing that. I wash after every ride and do not touch my face at all.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is not bad. Triclosan, on the other hand, has been banned, but that won't be found in sanitizer anymore. It's true that it doesn't replace hand washing.

Yes, as long as the hospitals and Dr. offices, etc. etc use hand sanitizer, we will continue to use it also. Sanitizer is 'not' bad, just is no 'substitute'. We 'do' wash our hands, but lots of times it is not convenient.

Also, keep your hands away from your face - that includes rubbing itchy, tired eyes (surprising how often I see people do this, as well as subconsciously touching their faces when talking, etc.). I keep a kleenex handy to wipe itchy eyes.

We always use hand sanitizer after looking at restaurant menus (one of the germiest things out there!!) don't touch railings, interactive walls, etc.

Yes, especially until you have it ingrained into your daily life it might be hard to remember, but we keep our hands to ourselves 'literally' mostly without thought now.

The last time any one of us got sick at Disney was about 20 years ago. We had to go to emergency room for severe sore throats, fever, the first night, so had to have picked up germs before going. (was also 'before' using sanitizer). We very seldom are sick now, especially respiratory.

I also avail myself of the sanitizing wipes at grocery stores for the cart handles.

LOL, same boat, got back Saturday night. The whole time there I'm thinking about germs and how theres no way im NOT getting sick being in this giant mass of humanity. I go back to work Monday, and right when I think I'm in the clear, the cold started attacking in force Monday morning, and now I'm sniffling and sneezing away typing this. I suppose I should be happy it didn't happen on vacation.

You're 100% right. Disney should be putting sanitizer pumps at their buffets, at the exits of their rides and ANYWHERE they can. When I gave birth to my children, there was sanitizer wall pumps outside my hospital room. Cruise ships have sanitizer all over, they actually have an employee MAKING you sanitize your hands before you eat at the buffets. Unfortunately, Disney wants to make everything look like "MAGIC" and don't want to remind people that there are germs all over. Yes, I think Disney is totally irresponsible with not having more sanitizer/hand washing areas when they have soooooo many people in a concentrated area. Why would people who spent thousands of dollars on vacation want to ruin it by being sick. Disney drops the ball on this!!!! Always has.

I agree, they should have sanitizer pumps and hand washing stations. They have a mug wash station, but no soap. The food court at our local mall has a bunch of sinks and soap to wash up before eating. I thought it was a great idea.

Hand washing is best, but sanitizers are a good back up. But as always, you can lead a horse to water...........

I agree, they should have sanitizer pumps and hand washing stations. They have a mug wash station, but no soap. The food court at our local mall has a bunch of sinks and soap to wash up before eating. I thought it was a great idea.

Hand washing is best, but sanitizers are a good back up. But as always, you can lead a horse to water...........
There is a bathroom near every QS food court and in every restaurant, TS and QS. What's stopping folks from washing their hands?

There is a bathroom near every QS food court and in every restaurant, TS and QS. What's stopping folks from washing their hands?

Well, I don't think anyone is taking about hand washing station in a TS or QS restaurant. For that you would just go use the restroom sinks to wash up.

I am taking about the food courts where the bathrooms are very out of the way and not big enough for the sheer volume of people. We stayed at CBR which has thousands of rooms, and the bathroom is tucked in the corner, almost hidden, and difficult to find. There are 2 sinks. Definitely not enough to handle the crowds of people, and people would probably not waste time seeking it out. If there was a hand washing station, near the drink dispensers, I think more people would be inclined to use it and it would be much more convenient. There is already a mug washing sink there, but no soap.

Well, I don't think anyone is taking about hand washing station in a TS or QS restaurant. For that you would just go use the restroom sinks to wash up.

I am taking about the food courts where the bathrooms are very out of the way and not big enough for the sheer volume of people. We stayed at CBR which has thousands of rooms, and the bathroom is tucked in the corner, almost hidden, and difficult to find. There are 2 sinks. Definitely not enough to handle the crowds of people, and people would probably not waste time seeking it out. If there was a hand washing station, near the drink dispensers, I think more people would be inclined to use it and it would be much more convenient. There is already a mug washing sink there, but no soap.
Sorry, but if you want to wash hands what is a few more steps? Fact is, there are sinks around and they can be used to wash hands. People choose not to use them. I'd prefer they keep the handwashing away from the food court and in the bathroom. Who needs the soap flying around the food?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter