Just back 3/9-3/11....I guess they call these the good, bad and ugly.

starjazz

DIS Veteran
Stayed at Pop. Arrived around noon on 3/9. Magical Express worked really well - only about 25 minutes to resort midday on a Thursday. 90 minutes from plane landing to resort. Felt great about that!

We swam a bit and enjoyed the resort, then entered park at 2:30 for 2:50 first FP+. Nice half day, lower crowds at MK. Friday was full MK day - didn't feel crowded at all, but stand by lines were longer than we like. No problem though, had a great day.

My 6 yo bought that cute photo at the HM shop that makes her look like a ghost. What a great souvenir for 20 bucks.

One tip we got here at the Dis before going was to sit in the garden opposite the Wishes dessert party garden for good viewing. I can't say enough about how well this worked. We all showed up about 30 mins early, I ran to get a snack for everyone, enjoyed relaxing while waiting. Then we ACTUALLY SAT during Wishes and had a great view for everyone. It was an emotional experience knowing it was the last time we'd see it. Highly recommend and thanks for the tip, Disers!

Epcot F&G was nice. Thoroughly enjoyed WS. Future World was less fun for us because again, lines were long on Saturday, as expected. But we skipped Illuminations and got our Soarin' ride in to close out the day. It was one of my favorite Epcot days ever, despite Spring Break crowds. The extra stuff to do there was awesome - kids holding butterflies, great photo ops, great food/beer stands, dinner in China for a change (often do Japan or Germany), and the various acts in the WS were all really fun.

Summary points:
  • I wouldn't go again during Spring Break, most likely. This is not a complaint at all, but we didn't get anywhere near the amount done that we normally do during slow season (and yes, it does still exist)
  • Pop Century was outstanding for us. Nice pools, good enough food, and unruly kids mainly only during normal awake times so we slept peacefully. No sign of renovations, but we didn't go looking for it. We also had 4th floor, lake view which I'm positive helped with noise and atmosphere.
  • Flower and Garden is great. We'd never done it. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
(One negative story to share, I guess its "the ugly", that shocked the heck out of us, but needs sharing: Wife used an ECV this year because she's fresh off hip surgery. We intentionally left Epcot about 10 minutes before the end of Illuminations in order to get a jump on the bus crowds. We were all lined up where we THOUGHT we were supposed to be based on the handicap markers on the ropes. Line continues to grow, but when we got there we were only about a zig and a half back, if you know what I mean - definitely would have made that first bus with ease. Bus shows up, driver walks over to us, says were not in the right spot and we'll have to go to the back of the line. ?!?!?! The Back? By now it was 3 and half zigs and zags back. I admittedly lost my cool on the guy because he was so brash about it. He basically just dropped that on us and proceeded back to start letting everyone else on. I walked up to him and asked why he was making us go to the back and he said, "you need to talk to the people that were in front and behind you." I said, "what difference will that make, you've already opened up the bus, so we can't get on now anyway". A second later, he walked back toward us to holler at some other people that were jumping ropes to go somewhere (since Pop is the last bus stop), and my wife and I laid into the guy. We were just furious since we'd left early to make that first bus, and the back of the line meant we ended up missing three of them. Completely unlike any other CM I've ever experienced, and at the end of a long day, was the last thing we expected or needed. Unfortunate for sure.)

Glad you enjoyed the trip and thanks for the tips.

Regarding the driver, hopefully you got his name (and hometown on his tag), you need to write an old fashioned letter or send an email to Disney regarding your experience with him. I'm sure he was stressed after a long day but that's no excuse for his behavior, there are too many super nice drivers to let a bad one wreck their Disney positive attitude.

Wow, can't believe your bus driver. What a tool. I agree, if you know the driver's name I'd sure report him.

I have to know though, where did he send you to load, if not the handicapped "rectangle" ?

Wow, can't believe your bus driver. What a tool. I agree, if you know the driver's name I'd sure report him.

I have to know though, where did he send you to load, if not the handicapped "rectangle" ?
Do EVC's go through the regular line now?

We had a similar experience at MK with ECV in December. While he didn't yell, it was obvious we were looking for the ECV line and he would just standby there and point until we looked up. He did want us to snake through the line and only put one ECV on and the hightailed it to stand in the back and not even converse with us. I managed to get a name and included it in my email to customer relations when I got home

Yeah, he wanted us to. Only spot where that was requested. Everywhere else they said to drive straight to the handicap loading spot. At that location though, it wasn't as clear as others, so granted we probably were not in the exact right location, but close enough and obviously ECV users. It didn't make much sense. But it was one guy, and he was clearly having a terrible day or was just a jerk, hard to tell honestly, but not enough to ruin our trip. 99.99% of everyone we meet there is beyond awesome.

They were in February. They had them go through the regular line and when they near the end of it, that's when the "Bus Helper? (not sure what to call the person but he was helping to get the bus loaded and everyone ready to get on the next one) put them in the handicapped rectangle to get on the next bus.
Folks in the ECV's weren't happy about it but that's what they were doing in February.

I saw it at MK and Epcot and AK. DHS still had them going directly to the handicap rectangle.

I wonder if this is the new plan for ECVs? Gave in to people complaining about them taking up sitting space on the buses or "cutting" in line because they got on first. I know I never see it as a perk with mom on an ECV.

They were in February. They had them go through the regular line and when they near the end of it, that's when the "Bus Helper? (not sure what to call the person but he was helping to get the bus loaded and everyone ready to get on the next one) put them in the handicapped rectangle to get on the next bus.
Folks in the ECV's weren't happy about it but that's what they were doing in February.

I saw it at MK and Epcot and AK. DHS still had them going directly to the handicap rectangle.

In many ways this makes sense to me. ECV users should wait like everyone else. In the past, the line could be four-five zig/zags long and an ECV drive up, get in the rectange, and board the next bus before those who had already been waiting. I'm sorry, but that's not fair to those who have been waiting. However, OP should NOT have had to go to the back of the line. They should have been directed to the rectangle and been first to get on the next bus.

In many ways this makes sense to me. ECV users should wait like everyone else. In the past, the line could be four-five zig/zags long and an ECV drive up, get in the rectange, and board the next bus before those who had already been waiting. I'm sorry, but that's not fair to those who have been waiting. However, OP should NOT have had to go to the back of the line. They should have been directed to the rectangle and been first to get on the next bus.

I pretty much agree, being first time ECV users, it did seem a bit uncomfortable to roll up to a line and get on in front of everyone else. But honestly, only at the end of the day going from parks back to the resorts would we have had to wait for more than one bus. And the problem with ECVs going through the line is that if they're not at the VERY FRONT of the line, there's no way they'd get on the right bus. If they were the 10th person in the line, normally they'd get on, but not in an ECV because they have to load first. So, I'm not sure there's a perfect way. And if they default to benefiting the ECV users, I'm okay with it because, lord knows, they have enough other disadvantages that if they get on a bus first, well, big whoop, ya know? So many things at Disney end up not being exactly fair (rope drop, queues for rides, queues for food, etc.), that you just kinda have to get used to it and understand we're people.

If there was a "bus helper" at every line, that'd probably work. But there were not bus helpers at every line for every bus after park closing - that's for sure. Which is probably why we weren't in exactly the right spot to begin with. It just wasn't totally clear based on the markings.

It may seem more fair, but it is also more dangerous to load an ECV onto a full bus. Lots of feet and toes and bodies to get in the way. And then there is the fun of trying to make people stand when they are sitting in the seats where the ECVs go. Much easier and safer to load the ECVs first.

It may seem more fair, but it is also more dangerous to load an ECV onto a full bus. Lots of feet and toes and bodies to get in the way. And then there is the fun of trying to make people stand when they are sitting in the seats where the ECVs go. Much easier and safer to load the ECVs first.

I didn't mean for them to load the ECV onto a loaded bus. By the time they got near the front, the drivers should be able to ask people to let them by and to get on first OR when they do get to the front, they move into the "rectangle" and they're on the next bus.

I pretty much agree, being first time ECV users, it did seem a bit uncomfortable to roll up to a line and get on in front of everyone else. But honestly, only at the end of the day going from parks back to the resorts would we have had to wait for more than one bus. And the problem with ECVs going through the line is that if they're not at the VERY FRONT of the line, there's no way they'd get on the right bus. If they were the 10th person in the line, normally they'd get on, but not in an ECV because they have to load first. So, I'm not sure there's a perfect way. And if they default to benefiting the ECV users, I'm okay with it because, lord knows, they have enough other disadvantages that if they get on a bus first, well, big whoop, ya know? So many things at Disney end up not being exactly fair (rope drop, queues for rides, queues for food, etc.), that you just kinda have to get used to it and understand we're people.

Just wanted you you to know that your words caused me to see things differently. Thank you.

I didn't mean for them to load the ECV onto a loaded bus. By the time they got near the front, the drivers should be able to ask people to let them by and to get on first OR when they do get to the front, they move into the "rectangle" and they're on the next bus.

Agree, when the driver pulls up, he surveys the line. If there is an ECV in the first row & 1/2, he can get them out & load them. As Disney developes new attractions, they are making lines accessible & doing away with separate enterances. No reason they shouldn't go that way for buses too. So many more people using ECVs now, Disney does need to react to it.

The reason I'm ok with them getting on first is they have to get off last. It evens out.

If there was a "bus helper" at every line, that'd probably work. But there were not bus helpers at every line for every bus after park closing - that's for sure. Which is probably why we weren't in exactly the right spot to begin with. It just wasn't totally clear based on the markings.
I can't fathom how anyone would know where to go, especially if they've been there before. Did they erase the painted rectangles for Handicapped loading?

One tip we got here at the Dis before going was to sit in the garden opposite the Wishes dessert party garden for good viewing. I can't say enough about how well this worked. We all showed up about 30 mins early, I ran to get a snack for everyone, enjoyed relaxing while waiting. Then we ACTUALLY SAT during Wishes and had a great view for everyone. It was an emotional experience knowing it was the last time we'd see it. Highly recommend and thanks for the tip, Disers!

I had not read this tip. Can anyone tell me where this is?

I had not read this tip. Can anyone tell me where this is?
Robo has a fabulous sticky with maps. He has this area marked on one of them. It's the old FP area where they have the artificial grass areas around trees

MK-Hub-WishesDessert_110516_zpsom6xmfei.jpg

if I am in the line with everyone else then you do not get to cut in front of me when the bus is only half full because they can not load my ECV. only fair I was there before you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter