June 5, 2016 - Magic Goes to England, Ireland, Scotland and France

Thanks BadTink Pink. I will be asking you questions for Dublin soon!

We are planning on prepurchasong our Hop On Hop Off bus pass before leaving.

BadTink Pink-

How long would you say to your Guinness Storehouse?

Thanks!!!

How are you planning to get there?
Its not walkable from the ship, well you could if you liked walking and didnt have a time limit on your day :)

From O'Connell Street you can take the number 40 bus http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/40-/ that will take about 20 minutes, depending on traffic. A taxi will take about the same time as the centre of Dublin has alot of construction atm due to a new tram system, laying of tracks.

It is also on the routes of both the Green and Red Hop on Hop Off Bus Companies, but they could be longer as they dont take the direct route that the normal bus and taxi take

Sorry my question didn't make sense when I just reread it. Trying to multitask as I put baby down for nap.

How long to visit the Guinness Storehouse. An hour or 2?

Thanks!

Hi all,
I am a big DCL fan and I've been on 8 cruises so far. I live 6 miles away from Newcastle, so will be planning on visiting the port to say hi to the Magic. If you have any questions re Newcastle feel free to ask. I noticed many of DCL excursions go to the angle of the North, be warned there are major roadworks going on around the angel as they are widening the A1. Journey times might be a lot longer than stated. Traffic gets bad around there. To be honest I was so surprised that DCL seems to be heading South, Durham & Beamish are great, but I would have expected an excursion north e.g. to alwnick ( alwnick castle was used when filming harry potter) and the northumberland coastline for shea beauty. Any way feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help.

Sorry my question didn't make sense when I just reread it. Trying to multitask as I put baby down for nap.

How long to visit the Guinness Storehouse. An hour or 2?

Thanks!

ooooh, lol no worries. I would give at least 2 hours in the building, possibly near 3 hours, then about 20 minutes each way travel time. It is a self guided tour, in a one way system through 4 flours of the building. There are interactive exhibits and videos and demonstrations along the way. The last part is the Sky Bar, where you get 1 free glass of Guinness or soft drink included on your entry ticket. If the weather is good, there are amazing views of Dublin from the Sky Bar. After the bar you exit the building through the souvenir shop. The shop is only accessible to those who have an entry ticket, so make sure to have a good look and buy anything you are interested in, as once you leave you cant get back in.

How long will a visit to the Book of Kells take? What about a visit to Christchurch and Belfrey tower? Thanks!

The book of Kells is located in Trinity College, right in the centre of Dublin. It is a very popular exhibition and can get very crowded with long wait times. I would allow about 1 hour for that, depending on how long the line is.

Christchurch is at the very end of the street from Trinity College. It would take about 20 minutes to walk from Trinity to Christchurch. I found this for you http://christchurchcathedral.ie/visit-us/guided-tours/ information, times and prices for a guided tour which includes the Belfry. I would allow about 1 hour , maybe longer for Christchurch

Welcome! I'll add you to the Who's Sailing on the first page (post #2) where you'll also find other information.

We've done three cruises in the Med plus the Baltic, so we're looking forward to a new itinerary.

Thanks for the welcome! We too are looking forward to a new itinerary.

WOW, that is amazing. I'm sure we've seen one another around the ship as I seem to see the same people all the time on the ship when we cruise. I'm posting a trip report of our Norway and Northern European Cruise now. I just uploaded the last bit of the Norway cruise and will work on the Northern European one next. There's photo's so take a look and see if you see yourself. I also did a trip report on our Alaska cruise, you may see yourself on that one as well.

Just read your trip report and it brings back great memories! Looking forward to the Northern European parts.

If you had Pa as your room attendant, then were you in one of the cabins 750x? We were in 7512, while my parents were in 7510 and my brother and his family were in 7508 (there were 11 of us on the B2B Cruises).

The book of Kells is located in Trinity College, right in the centre of Dublin. It is a very popular exhibition and can get very crowded with long wait times. I would allow about 1 hour for that, depending on how long the line is.

Christchurch is at the very end of the street from Trinity College. It would take about 20 minutes to walk from Trinity to Christchurch. I found this for you http://christchurchcathedral.ie/visit-us/guided-tours/ information, times and prices for a guided tour which includes the Belfry. I would allow about 1 hour , maybe longer for Christchurch
Thanks! I booked Book of Kells at 9:30, and have an any time of day Christchurch tix, with a 12 Viking Splash tour..

Thanks! I booked Book of Kells at 9:30, and have an any time of day Christchurch tix, with a 12 Viking Splash tour..

Ok, then you will be fine. The departure point for Viking Splash tour is near Trinity College, Book of Kells. When you exit the college, go up Grafton Street, the pedestrian shopping street. You will pass the Disney Store :) then turn left at the top of Grafton Street and walk down the side of the park. Theres alot of construction work in that area at the moment, not sure if it will be finished by June. Just contact Viking Splash to double check the departure point as they may have moved due to the construction works.

Then after the Viking Splash, head back to Christchurch in the afternoon

Ok, then you will be fine. The departure point for Viking Splash tour is near Trinity College, Book of Kells. When you exit the college, go up Grafton Street, the pedestrian shopping street. You will pass the Disney Store :) then turn left at the top of Grafton Street and walk down the side of the park. Theres alot of construction work in that area at the moment, not sure if it will be finished by June. Just contact Viking Splash to double check the departure point as they may have moved due to the construction works.

Then after the Viking Splash, head back to Christchurch in the afternoon
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all your tips :) Heard great things about Overlord Tours for Normandy but ended up booking with NST(Normandy Sightseeing Tours).
We are trying (2 adults) to find a private tour of Normandy - do you know if your van is already full? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Golly, I thought much of my port planning was finished - I hadn't even thought about needing to pre-book things like the Book of Kells.... we're planning to do Dublin on our own, and that's one of the things we want to see. Gotta get busy again!

If you're doing Dublin on your own, are you planning to use one of the HOHO buses? If so, the green one or the red one? We're trying to decide. We like to use HOHO's for an overview so we definitely one one with the live narration. We'll be picking it up after we visit Trinity College and we know at some point we'll probably want to get a snack/light meal while we're out.

I printed out the routes and stops so that might help us figure out if there's something particular we want to be sure to visit but we haven't gotten that far yet. It looks like you can pre-purchase tickets and save a little bit.

BadPinkTink, if we were your guests and wanting to do a HOHO tour, which would you tell us to do? And what stops would you tell us to get off at? I figure we'll have about 4 hours for HOHO route plus any sights we get off to view.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest