jumped the shark?

I am not going to be happy until I hear Pete get really pissed about a topic with Disney and then we hear him throw a chair across the room. :lmao:

I like the guest and I like the new format of the show.

I think having outside opinions is a good idea as long as we don't always hear a big "rah rah" Disney all of the time. Call the shots as you guys see them and as you have done in the past.

Bob will never be able to be replaced and I think there will always be some void in the show, but IMHO the Podcast crew always have and I think always will do one hell of a Podcast.

Keep up the good work group.

I LOVE the show and it feels good to keep listening with the podcast because after Bob's passing, the podcast and the disboards were a comforting family that my "other" family didn't understand. I feel like we all have been through something, and you always come out of a sad event with different eyes and different hearts. I am here for the long run, keep up the great work! :goodvibes

Amy

As Walt famously said "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Pete and company are clearly thinking along these lines. Not everything that Disney tries works. Sometimes it needs tinkering, sometimes it's a bad idea, and sometimes it works right out of the box.

It's easy to stay with what works, until one day you wake up and it's no longer fun or interesting. Far better that the crew keep pushing themselves, and the audience, with new directions.

I'm along for the ride. It's like when I cook for my spouse's family (eight siblings, plus significant others and kids). I'm not going to please everybody, so I don't try. I just try to do my best.

I was reading some internet gossip and apparently, the new euphemism for "jumped the shark" is "nuked the fridge."

For those of you who've seen the new Indiana Jones movie, you know what I mean. :happytv:

And I don't think the show's nuked the fridge.

Hmmmm...

Interesting thought, but I have to respectfully disagree.

I really enjoyed the Kevin Yee interview. It is not like there is a financial relationship between the site and Mr Yee's blog. I found him to be a very interesting guest, and have subsequently enjoyed reading his blog.

As for the rant...it seems Pete tries to temper his opinions most of the time, but from time to time a rant slips out. I actually enjoy them, but I am VERY difficult to offend. I did notice the discomfort among some of the other members of the Podcast crew that didn't see eye to eye with Pete, and their interaction seemed quite genuine, not rehersed or over edited or produced.

I know how hard it must have been for the OP to start this thread. From reading this board I can tell he has been an ardent supporter of the podcast for quite a while. He took a big risk airing his opinion and I respect him for it. I am so impressed with the people on this board for the thoughtful discussion on this thread.

The Podcast took quite a hit with the loss of Bob (as we all know), and will likely take a while to find it's rhythm again. I will continue to listen, a bit wistfully, and enjoy the segments as I always have.

... It is not like there is a financial relationship between the site and Mr Yee's blog.

This is an interesting comment to me as it seems many people think along these lines.

Not trying to pick on you deide ;) but I honestly believe people forget that without "financial relationships" these boards wouldn’t exist. I realize this is just my opinion and it is not shared by many but I would be fine with a sponsor interview once in a while. I would be upset if the show turned into a paid infomercial but I have no issues with an interview every now and then.

I think it’s crazy that Pete always has to say “We have no financial relationship with these people”. As long as the information is on topic, helpful, and informative I don’t care if they have financial relationship.

Hey Pete & Company I know you are reading the comments. I don't say
much but I must say my piece. You are doing a great job. I loved the
show in the past and love it now. I appreciate everything you do. I met
all of you and you have become one group of good friends to many. I
realize what a big job it is to put this together along with a blog. Yes I
don't care about all of the conversation or emails, but that happens with
any conversation we have. I have learned something new every week from
each podcast. I have listened to many podcasts and to me you
are the best. Others may think differently but I bet many think like me. I
can't wait to go on the cruise as I know you are working behind the scenes
to make it memorable to everyone. Thank you for all you do and don't be
afraid to try something new.

John

I have to say I was a little taken back by this thread. Just 2 days ago, as I was running and listening to last weeks podcast, I thought what a great job the team has done fillling the Bawb void. Yes, I miss 'Bawb", but the podcast has continued to be something I love listening to each week. I was afraid with Bawb's passing that I would not enjoy the podcast as much but Pete and the rest of the team have done a wonderful job of continuing to produce a podcast that is informative, fun, down to earth, personable and simply a joy to listen to.
I enjoy Pete's rants, I like all the information (and understand the repeat stuff;afterall, there are new listeners), I LOVE the interaction between the 'team'.

I'm agreeing that the direction of the podcast has changed.... but we knew that was planned before we lost Bob.

Do we all love the new direction? Probably not, but then, not everyone loved the OLD direction either! It's a case of "never gonna please all the people all the time."

Be true, be comfortable, and march on. That's about the best we can hope for!:confused3

Perhaps someone is just:stir: ?? no offenese.

Sorry, but you must be new to the Podcast. Otherwise, you would know that Rex (WildeOscar) would never do anything like this just to annoy people. No offense.

That being said, I have to agree with Rex. As practically everyone else has said, the Podcast had to change when we lost Bawb. However, I'm not a fan of long interviews with others. I like the roundtable format that the DIS Unplugged is known for.

Since the past 2 shows have both had interviews, I hope that it was just a coincidence. I'm just not a fan. That's one of the reasons I don't like many of the other shows. One or two people talking for an hour and a half with interviews and background music doesn't interest me. Kevin Yee's was interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of his after reading a blog of his that dealt with his first Disney Cruise. I'll have to look for it. I just wasn't a fan after reading what he had to say (he wasn't all that happy with it...and it was all for reasons that I believe were totally in his control).

Should the Podcast continue in this direction, you can be certain that I will still be listening. You would still find me listening should the team just sit there for an hour and talk about whatever they wanted (hmmm....special show, perhaps????). It's going to take something drastic to get me (along with practically every other person of our "extended family" here) to stop listening.

For those who have listened to the entire history of podcasts (either been a long time listener, or gone back to catch up), it's fairly easy to see that the format evolved just a bit over time, even back then. I think the same can probably be estimated for the "long form" interviews.

For what it's worth, I'm happy to see the interviews, as they inject some new material and new viewpoints. At the same time, I agree that they do have a bit of a scripted/monologue type of feel to them. Not sure that's quite the right words to describe it, but it seems at least a few people probably know what I mean.

But, that doesn't make it a bad thing. It's worth remembering that this new type of segment is new to the team as well, so they probably aren't completely comfortable in exactly how it works, how the conversation will flow, etc. The fact that it's over the phone probably makes it a little more detached as well. But, like most new things, I think as we get used to it, so will the team, and I would be very surprised if the interview guest segments didn't start to become more roundtable-ish in the very near future.

It was also mentioned that some segments cover content that we (as individuals, not collectively) really don't care about, and it's absolutely true. The store tours segments--wonderful as they were--covered a subject that I really couldn't have cared less about. But, I enjoyed listening and learning, and the (somewhat minimal) round table interaction still spiced it up. And, all that time was redeemed when I was able to tell a coworker about the menagerie of hello kitty stuff she'd be able to find at the Japan pavilion.

The whole political rant thing is an interesting topic. In this case, I think the discussion was certainly inspired by a very relevant news story, and not at all out of place on the show. That it touched upon a political issue was basically inevitable given the content. The differences in opinion around the table were likewise interesting, and seemed to be pushing near the boundaries a bit, particularly when Kevin added his own feelings to the discussion, which really weren't related to the story at hand. But even still, it's only natural that one's feelings on the issue would come up in discussion, and that's why we like having the personalities around the table. And it's hardly as though he was saying "you all should vote for XYZ this November". So, yes, there was some political ranting in some form, but I hardly think it was outside the spirit of what Pete intended when he promised to keep away from political topics.

As I posted earlier...it's not that I didn't like the interviews, I just felt they ran a little bit too long (cut into too much of Pete's rant time! :teeth: ). I hope they have more guests in the future but hope some of them are actually at the table with them so it's more casual as the phone interviews don't really allow the others to jump in and join the discussion as much.

Oh well, whatever format they go with -- I am always going to be a fan!

As I posted earlier...it's not that I didn't like the interviews, I just felt they ran a little bit too long.

I have to agree with this thought. I know and understand that to grow there must be change. I'm very comfortable with change and support what Pete and the crew have been doing. I'm just not happy with the length of the interviews. I feel 10 minutes or so is enough time to get across what needs to be said. Anything longer than that and I seem to tune out. Heck, even on TV interviews you get a commercial break.

Keep up the great work! I'm a listener for life.

There are always going to be bits in the podcast we aren't too keen on. FOr example i have no clue about NASCAR or Fishing, so those segments were lost on me (the only reference to Nascar i have, is seeing 'Cars' once!). I still enjoy the banter even if i know i would never do Richard Petty or a boat excursion.

I did like learning more about Gifts of a Lifetime, as its sounds like something i might like to do sometime in the future!

The podcast has to appeal to everyone, and i think getting a broader group of people to interview and things to do makes it accessable to everyone!

There are, however, a few changes i don't like. Bring back the living playings of the voicemails!! I don't care if the sound quality was bad, the banter was great! (Just a suggestion) :goodvibes

There are always going to be bits in the podcast we aren't too keen on. FOr example i have no clue about NASCAR or Fishing, so those segments were lost on me (the only reference to Nascar i have, is seeing 'Cars' once!). I still enjoy the banter even if i know i would never do Richard Petty or a boat excursion.

I did like learning more about Gifts of a Lifetime, as its sounds like something i might like to do sometime in the future!

The podcast has to appeal to everyone, and i think getting a broader group of people to interview and things to do makes it accessable to everyone!

There are, however, a few changes i don't like. Bring back the living playings of the voicemails!! I don't care if the sound quality was bad, the banter was great! (Just a suggestion) :goodvibes

I totally agree with this. I loved when they ran them live, and I did not notice any appreciable sound degradation.

This is an interesting comment to me as it seems many people think along these lines.

Not trying to pick on you deide ;) but I honestly believe people forget that without "financial relationships" these boards wouldn’t exist. I realize this is just my opinion and it is not shared by many but I would be fine with a sponsor interview once in a while. I would be upset if the show turned into a paid infomercial but I have no issues with an interview every now and then.

I think it’s crazy that Pete always has to say “We have no financial relationship with these people”. As long as the information is on topic, helpful, and informative I don’t care if they have financial relationship.

For future reference, I guess I should disclose that I too have a "financial relationship" with the DIS.

I sponsored them!! (See above my avatar) I encourage everyone who can to do the same!! ;)

I really do like this podcast. I've only listened since October, but find it keeps me entertained on my long runs when training for marathons!

I wish the team would do more kid stuff. As a mom to a 4yo and 2yo...I want more info that works for kids. Our first family trip to WDW was in January...I would have loved someone to tell me that Bugs Life was a TERRIBLE attraction for little kids! Wow...that was awful! :scared:

I'm a former radio broadcaster...so I understand how it works. I think they do a very good job and I can appreciate the the work that goes into producing long form programming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter