July W.I.S.H - Summer of Independence!

What are some habits you have in place and what are some that you’d like to put in place to help you live a healthier lifestyle?
To answer my own question:
I think I have some good habits in place. I sweat everyday, I use my AppleWatch as my tracker, I have a good morning routine & get a good amount of sleep(maybe not as much in the summer, but definitely during the school year), I work hard & am kind, I practice gratitude and smile often :)

I’d like to try to start my day with a glass of water. And I’d also like to read up more on apple cider vinegar. Anyone use this?

This past year has helped me to start managing stress with self-care activities and I’d like to try to continue with them. I found walks after school while listening to podcasts very helpful (which also qualifies as “alone time” in this article).

Good article!
Sitting inside the American Experience waiting for the rain to pass-
It is surface of the sun hot this week and I realize more than ever how important it is to maintain a healthy weight and keep active. I see people of all ages just struggling in this heat-
After 4 days of more indulgent choices we chose watermelon for a side today! And we split a sandwich as well. I don’t want to go home 10lbs heavier, so I am making some judicious choices! Ice cream is still on my list, though!
Alone time is important to me-I like going off to read my book for an hour or lie down for a short rest-I recharge and am more able to cope with the craziness of a family vacation!

I do a few of these things.

When I work from home I walk at lunch. It is only maybe 30 minutes but it is something on the days that seem to be very busy. I do inadvertently do intermittent fasting. I just normally don't eat until about 10. Some days even later and I have stopped eating a snack before bed. I do smile a lot and always think on the bright side. This was a bit of contention for DH and I over the past year. He is the complete opposite.

I don't have a teaspoon of vinegar a day but I make my own Italian dressing that uses it and I have that maybe a few times a week.

On work nights I get enough sleep. DH and I have been going to bed between 8:30 and 9. I am waking up before my alarm lately. On days off I stay up to about 11. I used to stay up later but I have gotten used to this early bed time and I just can't do it anymore.

I do have a fitness tracker (Fitbit). I love it because I can keep track of what I am doing.

Here is what I need to work on.

I do need to work on over coming my fears. I have a ton. This will always be a work in progress. Though speaking in front of people more has become part of my goals at work, per my boss. He knows my fear, well I think all of work does. I have gotten better. I started at one point and told him I would not speak in front of people. He has slowly gotten me to do some but said this year I need to step up more instead of passing the wand to my 2 co-workers that don't have a problem with this.

I do not have a healthy morning routine. I get up and am out the door in 15 minutes. I just can't wake up in the morning.

I also need to work on walking every 30 minutes while at work. This has been the hardest. I get busy and then realize it has been several hours and I haven't moved.

I need to drink more water period. A good way to start is to drink a glass in the morning. But this would mean getting up earlier.

• You don’t have to do everything, and you don’t have to do it all at once.
I really liked this ⬆ quote from the bottom of the article. So in that spirit, here's my "picking and choosing" ~

Things I do:
2. take the stairs
10. get sunlight every day
15. cultivate a positive mindset – You’ve seen the screenname. Sometimes I do this to a fault, and let problems go too long, but generally, I think it serves me well.
16. get enough sleep – This is HUGE for me. I feel like so many of our problems (from personal health issues to society's troubles) are related to lack of sleep, and I sometimes feel like I’m the only one in my house who takes sleep seriously.
17. start your day with a healthy morning routine – I definitely have my routine, and I’m grumpy if I don’t get to follow it!
20. spend time alone / 21. do things you enjoy - These are often the same thing for us introverts. LOL
23. a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar keeps the doctor away – I don’t take this every day, but I do when I feel like I’m fighting off a sinus infection, and I think it works!
30. practice gratitude
31. a walk around the block is better than no walk at all – yep! I usually walk on the treadmill in the evening, even if I only have 10 minutes, just to preserve the routine.

Things I might start doing:
1. drink a glass of water first thing in the morning – I used to do this, and it really did make me feel good, but I’ve gotten lazy.
5. switch to non-toxic household cleaning products – I've bought a few already, but should keep slowly converting.
9. stand up every 30 minutes while working – I’m great about being on my feet during the school year, but I need to work on this in the summer. I lose track of time on the computer!
19. floss your teeth – I do this “sometimes” but really should be more consistent.

Things that probably aren’t for me:
4. get a fitness tracker + track your steps – I tend to get a little too obsessive about record-keeping. I don’t need another thing to track!
11. fill your home with houseplants – I do believe they are good for the air, but my cats are both chewers, and many are poison to them.
13. have a daily green smoothie – I hate smoothies, all smoothies.
28. intermittent fasting can promote weight loss – I’m more of a “need to keep my blood sugar steady” person.

YES! I forgot to mention that in my post! That was probably the most important take away from the whole article! Thanks for sharing that!
My WW leader used to emphasize this-changing the way you eat, exercising and drinking 8 glasses of water every day can be overwhelming. I focused on my eating first and after about 6 months started an exercise program.
I need to focus on sleep as well. I need a better and more consistent routine.

Great article, but I have to admit just reading the list was a bit overwhelming.

Focusing on just a few things I can/should start doing:

3. Make half your plate veggies... a challenge to be sure, but something to work on.
5. Non-toxic household cleaners... this has been on my list for a while, and will finally happen in the coming month.
7. Daily probiotic... did this for a while and need to get back to it.
12. Sweat daily... at the very least I need to be doing saunas weekly, 1. I don't love getting that hot and 2. It is even harder to get that hot when it is so warm outside.

Woohoo…I’m down a few of my vacation pounds.
Woohoo…I’m back into a workout routine with a new program.
Woohoo…my eating is getting back on track, while still enjoying an occasional summer treat :)
Woohoo…my body is able to do fun things this summer (hiking, biking, swimming, kayaking, etc)

I forgot my biggest woohoo -- We had Christmas in July as a redo of our missed Christmas and also celebrated the 5 kids birthdays that were missed this past Saturday. It was nice to finally be all together again. We play a game called crazy bingo. They are a bunch of cheap gifts, like candy, wrapped and when ever someone roles a double you get to pick a gift. After all the gifts have been taken you open and share what you have. Then you set a timer (we usually do 10 minutes but it can be any amount of time) and every time you get doubles you can steal from someone. When the timer goes off you do one last turn around. It is fun to see what people go for and what the hot item is. This time I put in a big bag of peanut butter M&M's. I have been craving them lately and when I got them I have every intention of getting them. But I didn't go for them. I decided I didn't need them. If I want them that bad I can get a single bag of them.

Then we had an ice cream cake from DQ. Everyone was getting these huge pieces. I cut mine in half. It was a normal size and plenty for me. DH told me later he was proud of my self control I was showing on Saturday. I even ate a few bowls of salad.

That’s great!!! Sorry it’s been over a year, but how wonderful to get together again! ❤

It has been great. Last weekend my family got together for the first time. I have seen then individually but not as a big family since right be fore the shut down. Though we did do zoom calls at the holidays it is not the same. Then last night was with my dad and this Sunday will be DH's family. I have missed the get togethers and it is nice to do them again.

For some reason I'm not very woohoo-y this morning. It isn't that I'm in a bad mood, or am I? I've had a few anger flashes the past few days, that hasn't happened in a long time. And I've been waking up at 2-3am again, and not being able to get back to sleep. Not sure what the triggers are for this to start happening again.

I did drink my entire jug of water yesterday, so woohoo for making water goals... I've been a little under lately.

Woohoo I've been wanting olives lately and finally got some kalamata's and some green olives marinated in tangerine and hot peppers. So so good, but as I kept munching on them I realized they are packed full of salt and I did feel like my ankles were swelling a bit. So no more olives for me. I guess that really isn't a woohoo is it, well, it was while I was eating them.

Woohoo I'm losing weight and feeling better.

Woohoo I ordered another bespoke linen tunic from the Maker I found on Etsy, which should arrive before vacation.

It’s Thankful Thursday! What are you grateful for today?

I’m thankful to still have my parents. Yesterday was my dad’s birthday. And this year on Father’s Day I realized that I’m the only one in our close group of friends whose dad is still living. And he’s active. Next year my sister and I are planning to take him to Yosemite for his 75th birthday.

I’m thankful for my independent and active kids. Yesterday my son drove to Lake Wallenpaupack (almost 2 hours away) to spend time on the lake with his friends. My daughter and her friend go hiking about once a week this summer.

I’m grateful to have received a picture of my classroom, cleaned & furniture set up. Even more grateful that it looks like a kindergarten classroom this year with tables (not desks) and rugs. (But I’m still concerned the Delta variant will ruin that).

I’m thankful for my body to continue to allow me to workout and it’s gentle reminders to eat better (bloating, etc). Yesterday was a good day in terms of eating and we even took my dad out for lunch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter