Job Switch - insurance related

Boardwalk Jedi

DIS Veteran
Hello, I'll be switching jobs soon and will be without insurance for a month. Currently I carry the insurance for me, hubby and our four kids. Since I'm not in my twenties and without responsibilities anymore, I can't bubble wrap myself and pray for good safety vibes during that month. While DH is looking into his own workplace's plan, we doubt it's possible given they have specific enrollment periods. I can purchase the COBRA plan from my current place, but it's A LOT of money. I've put in a few calls to some companies about short term health plans (not full plan, but something in case of disaster)., In the meantime I thought I'd post here for anyone else's experiences or knowledge. Thx!

Hello, I'll be switching jobs soon and will be without insurance for a month. Currently I carry the insurance for me, hubby and our four kids. Since I'm not in my twenties and without responsibilities anymore, I can't bubble wrap myself and pray for good safety vibes during that month. While DH is looking into his own workplace's plan, we doubt it's possible given they have specific enrollment periods. I can purchase the COBRA plan from my current place, but it's A LOT of money. I've put in a few calls to some companies about short term health plans (not full plan, but something in case of disaster)., In the meantime I thought I'd post here for anyone else's experiences or knowledge. Thx!
If you are losing your coverage due to a new job then your husband should be able to enroll you in his plan. While it's true you enroll during Open Enrollment - this would be considered a "Qualifying Life Event" and therefore you should have no problem enrolling on his plan. How long after you start your new job are you going to be without insurance? Typically cobra can be retroactive meaning if you find out you need ti you can apply and pay back premiums for 30 or 60 days I believe.

If you are losing your coverage due to a new job then your husband should be able to enroll you in his plan. While it's true you enroll during Open Enrollment - this would be considered a "Qualifying Life Event" and therefore you should have no problem enrolling on his plan. How long after you start your new job are you going to be without insurance? Typically cobra can be retroactive meaning if you find out you need ti you can apply and pay back premiums for 30 or 60 days I believe.

I was going to say all of this. You do not need to pay for COBRA unless you need healthcare as in an emergency happens and you can back pay it. Do you have the figures for both your husband's company insurance and your new one? I wouldn't sign up for his if your new insurance is better.

I was going to say all of this. You do not need to pay for COBRA unless you need healthcare as in an emergency happens and you can back pay it. Do you have the figures for both your husband's company insurance and your new one? I wouldn't sign up for his if your new insurance is better.

My new insurance will be better. I had no idea COBRA could be used in case of emergency....which is what I was looking for.

My new insurance will be better. I had no idea COBRA could be used in case of emergency....which is what I was looking for.

Yes this is what you should do! 5 years ago I quit my job and DH was self employed so we joined a medical sharing ministry. My employer coverage ended Nov 30 and new sharing coverage started Dec 1. I did not know I was pregnant (long story as we had 3 kids including a 6 month old). On Dec 24 i was rushed to the ER via ambulance for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. I spent 2 days in the hospital and worried the while time because I knew conception took place in October and our new "insurance" would not cover pregnancy related issues if conception occured prior to start date (Dec 1). Once I got home I remembered a conversation with a coworker from a while back that he told me Cobra was retroactive and you have 60 days to enroll (I think 60 maybe 90). So i immediately called to enroll just myself for December and January (just to cover follow up dr visits for Jan). It was a lifesaver and they covered all the medical Bill's, I just had to pay the 2 months of premiums.

So I would get all the regular visits done before you leave your job and just use Cobra as an emergency in the interim! If you have to take a kid to the doctor I would just try and pay the cash rate.

the other option i had co-workers do was-

depending on the end of the current job/beginning of new-if you have any leave on the books w/the current job is it possible to set it up with their h/r to use it to take you into the next calendar month (month new job starts) with a delayed official resignation date? w/most jobs if you are 'employed' by them on the first of the month you are eligible to healthcare for the entire month so if the new job starts 1/1/19 instead of resigning from the old effective 12/31 you use the last of your old job's vacation/leave time to cover you for 1/1/19 (with a resignation date of 1/2/19) and get coverage for that month. you might have to pay a bit out of pocket for the premium if your leave time wouldn't cover it but it would be at the same rate as an active employee.

the other option i had co-workers do was-

depending on the end of the current job/beginning of new-if you have any leave on the books w/the current job is it possible to set it up with their h/r to use it to take you into the next calendar month (month new job starts) with a delayed official resignation date? w/most jobs if you are 'employed' by them on the first of the month you are eligible to healthcare for the entire month so if the new job starts 1/1/19 instead of resigning from the old effective 12/31 you use the last of your old job's vacation/leave time to cover you for 1/1/19 (with a resignation date of 1/2/19) and get coverage for that month. you might have to pay a bit out of pocket for the premium if your leave time wouldn't cover it but it would be at the same rate as an active employee.

Not sure. I know you are not allowed sick days once you give notice and that insurance cuts off on your last day.

Not sure. I know you are not allowed sick days once you give notice and that insurance cuts off on your last day.

if that's the case i would be looking to how you've been paying for any employee share of premiums b/c most policies are paid on a monthly premium basis so if your last day is say the 10th of a given month and you paid your employee share on your 1st of the month paycheck then you should be covered for the entirety of that premium period (so through the end of that month). some employers also start taking employee premiums for their first month of coverage ahead of when the coverage began (w/ my dd her med kicked in 11/1 but her last paycheck in october had a premium pulled b/c her employer wants to make sure that the employee is always ahead a month on their share of the premium). you might be eligible to a refund of one month's premium and def. should not see a premium taken from your last paycheck.

Our company insurance goes to the last day of the month regardless of day of departure. If you leave on the 2nd, you have insurance through the 28th/30th/31st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter