Jim Lewis Fired from WDWCo

Status
Not open for further replies.
uh oh...Dont know yet if this is good or bad...He was a nice guy with a good head on his shoulders meanwhile perks cutting and cutting though

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ion-club-executive-ou20110813,0,6823618.story

The president of Walt Disney Co.'s time-share business was fired Friday, according to several people familiar with the move.

A spokeswoman for Disney confirmed late Friday night that Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis was no longer with the company. She declined to discuss further details.

"We wish Jim Lewis well in his future endeavors and we plan to announce his successor in the near future," spokeswoman Rena Langley said.

Lewis had been president of Disney's time-share business since 2006.

The abrupt move comes only about two weeks before Disney opens one of its most ambitious time-share projects: Aulani, a Hawaiian resort with 460 Vacation Club units and 359 standard hotel rooms. It is the first major resort Disney has built away from its theme park properties.

It also comes one month after a management shakeup within Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. The changes included inserting the head of Disney's cruise business, Disney Cruise Line President Karl Holz, between Lewis and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs.

Only a few years ago, Disney Vacation Club was one of the fastest growing units within Disney's $11 billion parks and resorts business. But time-share sales slumped during the global recession and credit crunch.

Disney Vacation Club operates 11 facilities around the United States and has more than 400,000 members. The business is headquartered in Celebration.

As others have said, this is not necessarily a good thing. Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it!

While DVC could always improve, it could also get much worse. Hopefully we will get an improvement, but you never know....I will reserve judgement on this one.

Very true, but all of we DVC members on here know the difference between quality and crap.(VGC vs BLT, and only from what I read on here. I've never been to BLT and can't say, but have stayed at VGC many times, and can't say enough about it.) It just might help if we all write to corporate and thank them for this latest quality upgrade in the form of getting rid of someone who scoffs at the consumer.

As others have said, this is not necessarily a good thing. Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it!

While DVC could always improve, it could also get much worse. Hopefully we will get an improvement, but you never know....I will reserve judgement on this one.

I doubt it will get worse. It was pretty ugly on the inside and I've heard wonderful things about Karl Holz. Also, not mentioned in the article, Al Weiss retired a few months back and from what I understand he covered Lewis's rear end for a long time. I think Disney has finally awoken to the fact that DVC was losing it's distinction in the industry and I hope they work to replace it.

Graydon, my apologies for my very first post, thinking you might be a troll. But usually when an unknown comes on with a HUGE story, it usually is.

I'll echo what Sammie said, and thanks for the news Graydon.

Chris

Trust me I am a "bean counter" by profession... it can get MUCH MUCH worse. DVC and Disney have lots of opportunties to cut back and make both the employees and the members whine..... I can sit here and make a list of things I would do if "finances" were the motivating factor.... and all of them would have people like this :guilty: and thinking "gee things were not so bad" :eek:

(And if posters on here think "we are going to be happy now" :lmao: DVC members were "unloved in thier own minds" before Mr. Lewis and will be after. Unless Disney suddenely starts giving "free dining" or "pays us to visit" I don't see a giant outcry of love on here)

They didn't get rid of him JUST for bean counting. He made them a lot of money. Read Graydon's second post. He sums it up pretty well.

1) The guy was a bad manager
. . . would not listen to employees
. . . would not hear issues form members
. . . would not accept improvement ideas
. . . would not admit errors
2) Definitely nice to have him gone.
3) However, I remember the saying when getting replacements
. . . better to have the devil you know
. . . than the devil you do not know

They didn't get rid of him JUST for bean counting. He made them a lot of money.

I would guess that Disney is making a political move in firing Lewis. First of all, very, very rarely does a company publicly state that they fired an executive. The only reason that I can think of is that Disney is trying to correct the Aulani issue with the State of Hawaii and if it's not corrected, it could cost DVD a billion dollars or more. Some reports state that Lewis was aware of the Aulani problem and he ordered sales to start anyway even though he was told by Hawaii not to.

Secondly, Karl Holtz may be flexing his muscle being Lewis's new boss and/or they had a major falling out. One thing you can be sure of is that the DVD/DVC will take on the same business attributes as the DCL and now Holtz can hand pick his new president.

I don't know that much about the DCL but maybe DVCers will at least get clean, well maintained resort rooms before 4PM with the new management.

:earsboy: Bill

I just love how the OP was tried, judged and executed on the first page. I have not read the whole thread in its entirety however I believe there are some people on here who need to seriously offer an apology to the OP.

I would guess that Disney is making a political move in firing Lewis. First of all, very, very rarely does a company publicly state that they fired an executive. The only reason that I can think of is that Disney is trying to correct the Aulani issue with the State of Hawaii and if it's not corrected, it could cost DVD a billion dollars or more. Some reports state that Lewis was aware of the Aulani problem and he ordered sales to start anyway even though he was told by Hawaii not to.

Secondly, Karl Holtz may be flexing his muscle being Lewis's new boss and/or they had a major falling out. One thing you can be sure of is that the DVD/DVC will take on the same business attributes as the DCL and now Holtz can hand pick his new president.

I don't know that much about the DCL but maybe DVCers will at least get clean, well maintained resort rooms before 4PM with the new management.

I think the risks associated with keeping Lewis were beginning to outweigh any amount of cash he could bring in.

Many longtime DVCers, who bought in the early days, have expressed their displeasure in how DVC has been heading in the last few yrs. I dont remember that much negativity pre Lewis days. But since he has been there, things in units have declined. By himself, no he couldnt fix those things, but he had the power to fix them by letting up on monies to do so. Refurnishing of old units, OKW alone has gotten a bad rap from its owners, especially those longtime owners.

Cheap...its the word that comes to mind for the dues we pay each year that is supposed to keep DVC at the top of the timeshare pile. Cheap is what DVC has become.

I, like so many here, feel the same about change, it might get worse. But in this case, IMO, change will be better.

I wont share my source, but a ASA our family knows has pointed out that many DVC CMs have become disgruntled about recent hires at the ASA level that are the typical pushy timeshare folks, not typical DVC/Disney type personalities. And it was causing lots of disgruntle among its "good" people. To the point of quitting.

So Lewis being gone, it will be a good thing. It will take DVC awhile to get back on top. I for one liked when we were at the top, I look forward to at least having that opportunity again.

John Frost at TheDisneyBlog.com has chimed in with a post about Lewis:

http://thedisneyblog.com/2011/08/13/disney-vacation-club-shakeup/

Sales numbers have nothing to do with it. DVC isn't putting up pre-recession numbers, but neither is the rest of the industry. DVC's sales volumes have been quite respectable, with prices (and profitability) reaching all-time highs.

I think the risks associated with keeping Lewis were beginning to outweigh any amount of cash he could bring in.

For the most part, yes. File it under the heading of "I can't believe you were stupid enough to do that!" ;)

Stories vary a bit depending upon the source but at the very least, Lewis deserves blame for the Hawaii licensing being mishandled. Some go further and claim that he knowingly flaunted the laws by selling when he knew they shouldn't.

Many bosses are disliked by their employees so that alone wasn't likely to lead to his ouster. But the state of those relationships didn't do anything to save him once more serious issues came to light.

Many bosses are disliked by their employees so that alone wasn't likely to lead to his ouster. But the state of those relationships didn't do anything to save him once more serious issues came to light.

...yeah, but most companies aren't on the verge of major lawsuits over those relationships.

Two years ago at the Association meeting he promised that he would contact me about some questions that I had. Guess I can stop waiting for the call.

Much like the promise he made (at the same meeting) that he was going to look into the DVC cable TV offerings when asked about the FOX network selections, or lack of.

His replacement has been chosen, I am sure even before Jim was let go. No I don't know who it is, but was told the announcement will be made soon.

My biggest complaint with Jim was that in the beginning he was very much for the membership and implemented some good improvements. Then it was like the glory of being head of DVC, went to his head and he thought himself above everyone. That he could do and say whatever and no one could check him on it and his agenda became self promotion over what was good for DVC.

I think the Aulani situation was just the final straw in a building dissatisfaction from many factors.

...yeah, but most companies aren't on the verge of major lawsuits over those relationships.

I don't know any specifics on HR-related issues / lawsuits so I can't comment on that. If you do, please share.

The one constant in everything I'm hearing is Aulani. Either he is being held responsible (as President) for subordinate errors or he is totally culpable by approving sales when he knew paperwork was not in order. Somewhere between those two extremes.

Other things were the proverbial icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter