Jiko?

ufgator

DIS Veteran
We're thinking about eating at Jiko for our 1st anniversary dinner, esp. since we're staying at AKL. Is it good (I know reviews on here are good)? Is it romantic and quiet? Is the menu the same as the one on All Ears (it's from 6/04)? Is the food similar to Boma? We both like Boma, esp. DH. What do people wear? Any thoughts or info is appreciated. Thank you.

Can't tell you if the menu is up to date as it was last year that we were at Jiko, but other than that, the answer to all your questions are basically yes, lol. It is basically quiet and romantic, softly lit, pretty not busy visually, generally more of an upscale feel and definitely a more adult feel compared to other Disney restaurants. While the entrees were not exactly "African," the appetizers and items "from the cooking place" were closer to Boma type food. I had the pork, DH had the filet and mac and cheese. We both tasted each other's food, and not only was it really good, it was definitely of the quality you would find at an upscale restaurant in "the real world." Jiko is a great choice for your anniversary dinner. Since you are staying at AKL, if for some reason you don't get PS's for the restaurant, you can give them your name and they will call you in your room when your table is available if you want. People dressed nicer than the normal "park casual." Some of the other diners where dressed in dresses and suits, but anything except shorts or jeans would probably not stand out as unusual. DH wore a polo shirt and dockers and I wore "dressy" capri pants and a blouse. We were perfectly comfortable with that.

Jiko is awesome and very romantic. When we went my wife had some sort of Filet Mignon and I had the Monkfish. The food was superb, the wine was excellent and the service was wonderful. This was in early Dec '03. I dressed "business casual" and my wife, who could look beautiful in a burlap sack, wore a mid length black skirt, white shirt and a colorful wrap. Just curious, how many husbands remember what their wife wore one night 1.5 years ago? It's worth the stop and it's so nice to have have to travel to get somewhere. I do recommend it.

Actualy, shorts and jeans would not stand out at all. In fact, you'll see folks dressed that way at Jiko all the time. Can't recall ever seeing anyone in a suit though---. The majority of folks will be in "business casual"--i.e the polo shirt and dockers.
And make no mistake--there will be kids.
But all in all, it's a perfect spot for a "first anniversary" dinner.

I agree with what has already been said above. We loved Jiko, and were there 2 1/2 weeks ago. I would recommend it for and Anniversary. We dressed up a little, but as it is a Disney restaurant, you can see all forms of dress there. Allears does have an updated menu from 1/05, it was basically the same when we were there. The menu from 6/04 is the kids menu.

we love jiko! have celebrated anniversaries and birthdays there and it was just perfect! happy anniversary! :earboy2: :wave:

Jiko is super-fabulous! Because it's Disney, you can't be guaranteed the quiet part :teeth: but I have been twice and it was quiet and wonderful both times! tHE LIGHTING IS LOW AND THE SERVICE AND FOOD ARE AWESOME!
gO FOR it! Especially since you're staying at The Lodge :cloud9:

My husband and I were there for an "adult" dinner in February. We thought it was wonderful. I had the scallops and I think he had a shrimp curry dish. Mine was very good, but his was even better. The Taste of Africa appetizer was amazing!

It was a very subdued, romantic atmosphere. I don't know if this indicates that I lack class, but I wore jeans and dressed them up with a nice top, and my husband wore khakis. I didn't feel out of place at all. There were definitely others in jeans, and some a little more dressy (business casual, I would say). I didn't see any suits, but I think that whatever you would feel comfortable in would be just fine.

DW and I were there last week. We didn't think it was anything special. Our server was mediocre. I felt it was loud. I will give credit to the hostess as she knew what to do quiet a screaming toddler. Filet was ok but I don't see what the big deal with mac and cheese was.

If you like Boma, you will love Jiko. It is outstanding, food/service/atmosphere.

CaipiraBob said:
Jiko is awesome and very romantic. When we went my wife had some sort of Filet Mignon and I had the Monkfish. The food was superb, the wine was excellent and the service was wonderful. This was in early Dec '03. I dressed "business casual" and my wife, who could look beautiful in a burlap sack, wore a mid length black skirt, white shirt and a colorful wrap. Just curious, how many husbands remember what their wife wore one night 1.5 years ago? It's worth the stop and it's so nice to have have to travel to get somewhere. I do recommend it.

The restaurant would be worth it if my DH could remember what I wore! :rotfl:

Thanks to everyone for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter