Jedi Academy - Tips & Highlights

Thank you for these great tips! My DS8 loves everything SW and was crushed when he didn't get picked on our trip 3 years ago. Hopefully with these hints he'll get picked during our trip at Christmas. fingers crossed...

Thank you for these great tips! My DS8 loves everything SW and was crushed when he didn't get picked on our trip 3 years ago. Hopefully with these hints he'll get picked during our trip at Christmas. fingers crossed...

And for a very magical moment, I always bring an extra sign and share with another child. There is always some kid there trying for his 3rd time, just really hoping this time he will finally be picked. I love to make his day:)

And for a very magical moment, I always bring an extra sign and share with another child. There is always some kid there trying for his 3rd time, just really hoping this time he will finally be picked. I love to make his day

Wow what a wonderful idea. You are a gem and get the true magic of Disney. I am sure there are parents who thank god for you.

Thanks to all the advice I found here on the board, last Saturday, my 6 year old grandson was chosen at the 10:30 show. We dressed him in a Star Wars Lego Shirt that was black but had bright colorful lego Jedi characters on it. We found a tatoo with Yoda at Toys "R" Us and put that on his cheek. My granddaughter who is 17 and extremely artistic, painted the same Yoda on a poster board with green and black lettering that aid "Battle the Dark Side - I Must!!". It was awesome. At 10:00 AM, we went to the area and sat down - front row. As the space started filling up, the kids and I moved back to let little kids sit in front. We watched my grandson strike up a conversation with the two little boys sitting next to him - one on each side. I was amazed at how many parents still sat in front with their kids when little kids were behind them just dying to get chosen. My granddaughter actually walked up to the guy who's son was sitting next to my grandson and pointed out to him that if we hadn't moved back, his son would not be in the front row and that he could easily see over the kids heads so he should move back a bit and let the kid behind him sit where he was. I was proud of her. She said it very nicely and the father did move. Anyway, when the Jedi Master came out all the kids were standing by that time and cheering - jumping up and down. My grandson held his sign over his head and it ended up over all three little boys heads because it was so large. The Jedi master chose 10 kids from the Nemo side and then he turned to our side and said -I believe the force is very strong with these three boys right here holding the Yoda sign. The boys were so excited. :dance3: My grandson practically threw the sign at us and off they went. The one little boy's mom said "I think we just piggy backed onto your sign!!" I paid a lot of attention and when they had finished picking (30 kids) - everyone with a sign or a star wars shirt was picked. There was a little boy sitting across the rope aisle from us who was crying because he wasn't picked. We gave him my grandson's sign and his Dad said they would try again at the next show. He was thrilled. We got great photos and I will try to post some this weekend after I get them downloaded from the cameras. I appreciate all the tips/advice. It was great!!!!

Thanks to all the advice I found here on the board, last Saturday, my 6 year old grandson was chosen at the 10:30 show. We dressed him in a Star Wars Lego Shirt that was black but had bright colorful lego Jedi characters on it. We found a tatoo with Yoda at Toys "R" Us and put that on his cheek. My granddaughter who is 17 and extremely artistic, painted the same Yoda on a poster board with green and black lettering that aid "Battle the Dark Side - I Must!!". It was awesome. At 10:00 AM, we went to the area and sat down - front row. As the space started filling up, the kids and I moved back to let little kids sit in front. We watched my grandson strike up a conversation with the two little boys sitting next to him - one on each side. I was amazed at how many parents still sat in front with their kids when little kids were behind them just dying to get chosen. My granddaughter actually walked up to the guy who's son was sitting next to my grandson and pointed out to him that if we hadn't moved back, his son would not be in the front row and that he could easily see over the kids heads so he should move back a bit and let the kid behind him sit where he was. I was proud of her. She said it very nicely and the father did move. Anyway, when the Jedi Master came out all the kids were standing by that time and cheering - jumping up and down. My grandson held his sign over his head and it ended up over all three little boys heads because it was so large. The Jedi master chose 10 kids from the Nemo side and then he turned to our side and said -I believe the force is very strong with these three boys right here holding the Yoda sign. The boys were so excited. :dance3: My grandson practically threw the sign at us and off they went. The one little boy's mom said "I think we just piggy backed onto your sign!!" I paid a lot of attention and when they had finished picking (30 kids) - everyone with a sign or a star wars shirt was picked. There was a little boy sitting across the rope aisle from us who was crying because he wasn't picked. We gave him my grandson's sign and his Dad said they would try again at the next show. He was thrilled. We got great photos and I will try to post some this weekend after I get them downloaded from the cameras. I appreciate all the tips/advice. It was great!!!!
:thumbsup2

We went to DL in February and my 8 yr old daughter was thrilled watching the kids at the JTA. She wanted to participate so badly, so as soon as the show ended , she plunked herself down right by the lines where the characters come out . There was no way anyone was getting closer than her. Since the young man strolling around(who was dressed as a jedi knight),keeping an eye on things saw her, he came over and talked to her for about 15 minutes till other people started to file in. A few kids tried to move her over but he was pretty quick in letting them know they had to find another spot. Of course they picked her.If anyone sits there that long there is no way they would not pick her. So if you have the time and could use a good break,it is a sure way to make that magic happen. We also had front row seats at a table which was great.
IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Good luck 626Mom. :hippie:

Get a sign in his hands & have him jump up & down!!! :yay:

Please report back & let us know how it goes.

:)

And for a very magical moment, I always bring an extra sign and share with another child. There is always some kid there trying for his 3rd time, just really hoping this time he will finally be picked. I love to make his day:)

Great idea QueenDoOver. :thumbsup2

Almost as welcomed as free Corny Dog while you're waiting for the Fireworks.......or a free FP to Griz Rapids on a 100 degree day!! :cloud9:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the help!:goodvibes We were at Disneyland 12/26-12/30 among the crush of humanity. We followed the tips; showed up early, staked out a prime location (yes that concrete floor is COLD and HARD!)and had our signs made. My two boys were the first ones chosen :yay: and it was the highlight of our trip. Thank you everyone for the advice!

Colton got picked on our first attempt the first day. He would have loved to do it again but with the crowds i though it unfair for him to get picked twice when there were so many others who wanted to do it. After all thanks to DIS we were in the know! We did share signs with families that were obviously not on their first attempt. What a feel good moment when those children got picked too.

My DD11 has been chosen 3 times so far to do the training. I think there was one time (maybe 2) when she wasn't chosen. She hasn't had a sign or been wearing any Jedi clothing. What she has done is keep jumping up and down the entire time they are picking kids, waving her hands around. Twice she was the last one chosen and I think it was because she was still jumping up and down til the very end. One of the PP we have befriended told us they want the high energy kids.;)

Last time she did it she was with her friend who hadn't done it before. She got chosen right away but my DD11 was the last one picked. ;) I was so glad they got to do it together. :cloud9:

My tips are:
Go on a day that isn't going to be too busy and do the first show. (this worked for us the first time)
Have your child jump up and down and show lots of energy. That's what they are looking for.

So, if you don't have a sign, don't despair. Your DD or DS may still get chosen.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the help!:goodvibes We were at Disneyland 12/26-12/30 among the crush of humanity. We followed the tips; showed up early, staked out a prime location (yes that concrete floor is COLD and HARD!)and had our signs made. My two boys were the first ones chosen :yay: and it was the highlight of our trip. Thank you everyone for the advice!

from Colton's Mom: Colton got picked on our first attempt the first day. He would have loved to do it again but with the crowds i though it unfair for him to get picked twice when there were so many others who wanted to do it. After all thanks to DIS we were in the know! We did share signs with families that were obviously not on their first attempt. What a feel good moment when those children got picked too

626 Mom, Good to hear that the tips are still helpful. :thumbsup2

Colton's Mom, Very Cool that you were able to share the signs with kiddos who where there for their second Jedi show. It's nice to spread the excitement of being picked by the Master Jedi to others. Well done. :hippie:

We just got back from going over Christmas and we did the 2nd or 3rd show of the day. We arrived about 20 minutes before show time and it was semi packed. My son was sporting his Oregon Duck sweatshirt and was picked 1st on our side and the second picked was wearing an Oregon Ducks shirt.

I will say we heard a lot of Go Ducks from CM's and guest alike. Heck we even had a parade member come over and say it.

So if your team is doing well or is well known it may be a benefit to sport your colors.

My ds6 just did this last week. We did the first show on a slow day. He was wearing a Mickey shirt and was picked citing that. He was also very energetic.

I saw it mentioned in this thread earlier in passing, but if your child does Jedi Training if you go to the photo store on main street and tell them the date, time, and whether your child fought Vader or Maul, they will load the photos of your child onto a photopass card so you can include them on your CD. Or you can buy very expensive prints there if you don't want to buy the cd.

We just did Jedi Training yesterday, and signs worked to get my two sons picked. I was a little nervous at first, as he was picking a bunch of kids without signs (there was another fairly large group of 5 or so kids with signs). But I told mine to keep jumping and waving their signs, and in the last pass he chose the other group of kids, and my two, so all the kids with signs were picked. I guess motivation to have them keep jumping and waving those signs! (And they loved the Jedi training!)

We just did Jedi Training yesterday, and signs worked to get my two sons picked. I was a little nervous at first, as he was picking a bunch of kids without signs (there was another fairly large group of 5 or so kids with signs). But I told mine to keep jumping and waving their signs, and in the last pass he chose the other group of kids, and my two, so all the kids with signs were picked. I guess motivation to have them keep jumping and waving those signs! (And they loved the Jedi training!)

I guess I need to get busy making a sign.. any new suggestions?

Just updating on our trip this past week. My son was picked on our first try (thank goodness!). He was wearing a bright yellow Star Wars shirt, and of course we brought a sign.

(Side note about the sign: when we went through the security check, the lady took the sign out and called over to another worker asking if that size was okay. It was fine, but apparently they had somone earlier that week bring in a bigger sign that they didn't allow...so keep that in mind when creating a sign! Ours was just printed on regular 8.5x11 paper and taped to foam board cut to that size.)

We were sitting on the left side (as you're facing the stage), and was the only one on our side with a sign. There was a family on the other side with two signs, one for each of their kids. My son wasn't the first picked, but was picked fairly quickly in the process. We then gave the sign to another little boy who was trying to get picked, but it was too late, and he didn't get chosen.

My son was the first to fight Darth Vader though (somehow he must have weaseled his way up to the front when they had them all gather off stage on the right side). He was kind of disappointed after the fact because he didn't get to "fight" Vader, he only got to "train" with him. I'm pretty sure he was expecting an epic battle of some sort! :lmao:

Some pictures of my little padawan:
IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

Here is is, trying to shake things up a bit. The look on the Jedi Master was priceless!
IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

Oh, and our sign. I know I was looking for some inspiration and couldn't really find anyone's signs...so hope this helps someone. I think most are handwritten. I made ours in Photoshop, and it wasn't until we got to Disneyland I started worrying about the potential copyright infringement at using a Disney/Lucas owned image...but apparently it was okay.
MICKEYPICKME2sml.jpg

So loving this thread, going in October and I really want my 7yo to do this. He's always battling with this "light sabers" at home. I really think he would get a kick out of this =) Thanks for all the info.

Thanks for sharing your experience Karelle. :thumbsup2

Great pics....I especially like the second pic. You could do a caption over your DS who's pointing at Vader & appears to be saying:

"Dude....you're going down!! " :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter