• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

January Exercise Challenge!

I hope it's not too late to join. I just saw this and would love to hop onboard!
I'll aim for 800 minutes this month.

So far I've done 70/800

As for what motivates me to get moving, I've got to say it's my kids. I can only work out once all the kiddos are in bed (DD5, DD1 and DD3 months) and often by that time I want to just fall into bed myself. But instead I go look at my kids and remind myself that I'm doing this for them too, to be a positive role model as someone who takes care of themselves and also just to be able to run around with them and keep up with them as they grow up.

Please put me down for 1275. :cool1:

This is great, thanks for doing it. Trying to stay on track, we are going to be moving at least twice this year. The more good habits happen now the more likely they are to continue later...

Anyone have any good phone apps (android) for weight watchers? I just need something to figure out points and track them, nothing complicated. We aren't signed up "officially" for the program with the WW site, just doing it on our own.

I'm using Hal Higdon's winter maintenance running plan; I hope I don't keel over first.
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51239/Winter-Running-Training-Program

Not sure if it's available on the android as I have an iphone, but I use itrackbites to monitor WW food and activity points and I love it. The "pocket guide" to look up points values of common foods is not great, but there's always the internet to look up the nutritional info of anything not in there and then just use their calculator.

60 mins running today. :woohoo:

Not sure if it's available on the android as I have an iphone, but I use itrackbites to monitor WW food and activity points and I love it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out!

I know we don't do Questions of the Day on this thread, but I thought I'd throw this one out there as inspired by another thread in this forum: What motivates you to exercise when you are tempted not to?

Wanting to run the Disney races! Haha. I have completed half marathons before, but without training properly, so the next day (or days... OK, week) I was absolutely miserable. So if I want to run a Disney race, I've got to be able to at least limp around the parks the next day for the sake of my husband. That means more than just the ability to bust it out on race day with the adrenaline and then crash - but the actual ability to run the race well and finish strong. Lots of parallels for that in the rest of my life, I'm learning.

:cool1: The colors are starting to change on the first post! And only 3 1/2 days into January. That's great! In case anyone was wondering, we have as a group, completed 3649 minutes of exercise (or nearly 61 hours) in the past 3 days! Go WISHers!

AFM: Last night I did 40 minutes of really tough lower body strength PT last night (and some abs). Gotta get rid of that "mushy" quad....

My total: 100/800

I know we don't do Questions of the Day on this thread, but I thought I'd throw this one out there as inspired by another thread in this forum: What motivates you to exercise when you are tempted not to?

For me I have several tricks that can get me going:
1. I put on music that makes me want to get moving (usually something on my running playlist.)
2. I read a few pages of a fitness magazine or running magazine
3. I step on the scale (up, down or same results doesn't matter - seems to remind me to keep at it)
4. In my case, if I don't work out, my body starts to protest, so I remember the days when I was so injured that I couldn't do active things I liked to do, and I know that working out is the only way to keep my body able to do those things.

I found by checking out all the blurbs from www.runningblogs.org, www.werundisney.com, and coming on here to see what everyone is accomplishing is a great way to get and keep me motivated.:thumbsup2 And knowing that I'm only about 7 pounds away from my goal weight that has taken me an ENTIRE YEAR to get to, is juice enough to get me off the couch. Plus Wonder Mutt seems to have an endless amount of energy and I feel guilty if I don't at least TRY to help her burn some of it off::yes::!!

I also love checking Facebook or Twitter throughout the day for motivational thoughts from I<3 to Run, Fit Approach, and random fellow WISH'ers. Just knowing we're all battling the same aches and pains makes all the effort seem a little more comforting!:rotfl:

And good luck Mrs. AR on your half!!:thumbsup2:wave2:

PlutoBaby said:
I found by checking out all the blurbs from www.runningblogs.org, www.werundisney.com, and coming on here to see what everyone is accomplishing is a great way to get and keep me motivated.:thumbsup2 And knowing that I'm only about 7 pounds away from my goal weight that has taken me an ENTIRE YEAR to get to, is juice enough to get me off the couch. Plus Wonder Mutt seems to have an endless amount of energy and I feel guilty if I don't at least TRY to help her burn some of it off::yes::!!

I also love checking Facebook or Twitter throughout the day for motivational thoughts from I<3 to Run, Fit Approach, and random fellow WISH'ers. Just knowing we're all battling the same aches and pains makes all the effort seem a little more comforting!:rotfl:

And good luck Mrs. AR on your half!!:thumbsup2:wave2:

Seven pounds away is great! WTG!

I'm in need of some of my own advice and tricks at the moment. Dh is STILL not home from work again (I hate being an accountants wife at year end), DS is whiny and bored of me and I just ate microwaved chicken nuggets with him for dinner because I was so tired. I really need to run tonight but I also just want to pour a glass of wine....

Seven pounds away is great! WTG!

I'm in need of some of my own advice and tricks at the moment. Dh is STILL not home from work again (I hate being an accountants wife at year end), DS is whiny and bored of me and I just ate microwaved chicken nuggets with him for dinner because I was so tired. I really need to run tonight but I also just want to pour a glass of wine....

Run a short run, and THEN pour the glass of wine as a reward. :)

Rose&Mike said:
Run a short run, and THEN pour the glass of wine as a reward. :)

Alright alright. DH finally got home. I'm getting on the treadmill.... Yay for Saturday rest day tomorrow!

Thanks rose.

Edited: I did a 45 run min so.... I'm up to 145/800.

Fun day today! Went hiking/spelunking at Pinnacles National Monument with the family. Got in 190 minutes. That puts me at 300/1000.

35 minutes on the treadmill. I might get some more minutes in today, I received a new dance game for the kinect and I think I might bust a few moves today!

98/600

60 min on the elliptical this morning brings me to 204/1000

January 4: 2 hour walk
January 5: Walk 1, Run 6, Walk 3: 2 hours 28 minutes

Total minutes: 268

That brings me to 643/3000

As to what motivates me, it's the before and after pictures below. Losing 117 pounds changes who you are and your entire life. Everything has changed for me. I never, ever want to go back to being that person again and if it takes leaving my house and running at 4 in the morning, I will gladly, gladly do it. I also like that it gives me control because eating is something I will probably always struggle with. I run or walk every day so even on my bad days, all is not lost.

I also love the feeling I get - especially after a 10 miler which I do at least once a week (including this morning). I'm not fast at 43 and it takes me a long, long time but the feeling stays with you all day long. You just feel like you can do anything. There is nothing like it for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter