January 2021 W.I.S.H. - New Year, New Goals

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the January 2021 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) challenge - New Year, New Goals!

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! So hop aboard and post your personal goals. :cheer2:

We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday,
Free For All Friday,
Social Saturday &
Self-Care Sunday.

This month's hosts
Jan 4 - Jan 10 --- Summer2018
Jan 11 - Jan 17 --- PollyannaMom
Jan 18 - Jan 24 --- Oneanne

Jan 25 - Jan 31 ---

Last edited:
I'm Summer, chronologically 56, mentally 25. I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside of NYC. After one year of teaching Kindergarten, I taught PreK in an inner city public school system for 18 years. I now teach Kindergarten again in my 20th year of teaching. I am currently teaching 17 students remotely until mid January when we will return to a full class of students.:scared1: I cannot wait for my family and I to get vaccinated, so that we will all feel safer. I have a 23 year old daughter who is taking online classes at an Art & Design school in NYC for Fashion. I’m married to a 61 year-old essential worker and fellow Disney lover.

I've lost 27 pounds on Noom. I am rededicated to losing weight using the concepts I learned on Noom, logging on MyFitnessPal, and getting exercise by walking on the beach or on my new treadmill that has not yet arrived.

I'm Nicole, 50, originally from upstate New York and currently living in Massachusetts with my DH, DS (who is due to go back to college in Maine later this month) and two cats (who are convinced they are princesses.)

I've had several jobs over the years. - When I first moved here, I worked in mutual funds for a big bank, left to be a SAHM for a while when I had DS, and substitute taught while he was in school. This year, I'm homeschooling my honorary niece and nephew - twin kindergarteners. I'm really enjoying the planning aspect that I missed out on while subbing.

My January goals are to keep up with my exercise routine, continue very slowly losing a little weight, and possibly up my healthy cooking to include more variety.

I can host week two.

I'm Lizanne, a 64 year old single lady living in Seattle WA. I've worked for the same company for 37 years, but have changed jobs every five or so years, which included having the opportunity to move to different places in the country.

My intention for 2021 is to get healthier... mentally and physically. My word for the year is "move" and now having learned "friluftsliv" I'm adding it as well. I intend to read at least 12 books, one per month. And I may or may not "move" households this year, but either way I will get rid of the junk that has piled up over the past 10 years of living here, so I'm ready when it does happen.

I can take week three.

I'm Linda from the Pacific Northwest. We were empty nesters and are now guardian to our niece's 8 (very soon to be 9!) year old twins. Mom is going to school for two years. We've had them 1.5 years. The end is in sight! They're cute.

DS1 is getting married probably in October and DS2 is a junior in college, in New York City. Right now he's here because all his classes are on line and we saved thousands not paying room and board in NYC!

Obviously I'd like to lose weight for the wedding. Since the pandemic started I've lost about 20 pounds just being careful what I put in my mouth. My tummy has gotten persnickety lately so I really need to be careful. I was pleasantly surprised at my weekly weigh in to see I'd lost not gained. That was a happy shock!!

I'm going to continue watching what I eat as well as continue my o'dark thirty yoga class and my little weight lifting routine. I'm also adding a quick (under 20 minute) walk to my day. The twins think I'm gone forever when I go for my walk, then I tell them I used to walk an hour every morning. That blows their little minds! I did get three walks in with my girlfriends over the break. So lovely.

I'm not looking forward to that yoga class tomorrow! I've been sleeping in and doing her recorded version later in the day. But I will force myself to get up since I'm back to work tomorrow and back to a schedule and routine!

I am Stephanie from Northeast Ohio. I am 41, married with 2 teenagers (13 and 14).

Since Christmas I have been lazy. Starting tomorrow I am back to a schedule as DH and I are back to work and the kids will be back at school (virtually). My plan is to walk on the treadmill at lunch each day. I need to get my eating and workouts back in order.

Last night DH and I binged all 8 episodes of Bridgerton on Netflix. We loved it. The only bad thing is we were up until 3 am finishing it. I am exhausted today. It will be an early night for me.

I’m Cristin, 44, wife, & mother of 16 yr-old twins (who just got their drivers licenses yesterday). I live and teach live (not virtual) kindergarten in southeastern PA. My husband is currently looking for a new job. My kids are currently virtual as per our choice, but will return to live schooling for the second semester.

My focus for January is to establish healthy eating habits. This pandemic has not done good things for my eating or my weight. I keep meaning to start using MyFitnessPal, but my day gets away from me. So I’m back to planning everything I eat using the 21 Day Fix containers. I have this week planned and mostly prepped. And I’m excited to get back into a routine! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed the break and took full advantage of the time to rest. So now I’m ready to start back to school refreshed and get back into healthy habits!

My goal for January is to lose 5 pounds. I will do this by:
- using the 21 Day Fix containers
- planning my meals/snacks each Sunday
- completing Transform 20 workouts daily
- drinking at least 80 oz of water per day
- getting 7-8 hours of sleep each night

Motivation Monday:
View attachment 548057

What would you like your chapter to include?
I would like my chapter to include me adopting a healthier lifestyle. I would exercise 5 out of 7 days a week. I would eat many more fruits and vegetables.

These healthier behaviors would result in a more resilient immune system; I would have more energy; and I would look better. The day will come that my DD will get married, and I want to feel well and look beautiful for the wedding festivities. I want to be able to be active and play with my future grandchildren. I don't want to be limited by my weight any longer.

I would also like my chapter to have me eating healthy and taking care of my body. I hope it includes me getting the vaccine and COVID being less of an issue. Then it could include me going back to Disney World! 🤞

I also agree with everything @Summer2018 said. I started my healthy lifestyle journey with the goal of being active as I get older so I can be there for my kids and hopefully grandkids someday.

@MickeyMom76, congrats to the twins on their drivers' licenses!
Thanks!
I have to admit that I had a little twin-mom anxiety that one would pass and one wouldn’t. But luckily that wasn’t the case. Now it’s a new anxiety due to them now driving off without me. But it has already shown to be convenient as son worked until 10 last night and I didn’t have to go pick him up. I was in bed and as soon as I heard the car pull in the driveway, I turned off the tv and went to sleep ;)

Thanks!
I have to admit that I had a little twin-mom anxiety that one would pass and one wouldn’t. But luckily that wasn’t the case. Now it’s a new anxiety due to them now driving off without me. But it has already shown to be convenient as son worked until 10 last night and I didn’t have to go pick him up. I was in bed and as soon as I heard the car pull in the driveway, I turned off the tv and went to sleep ;)
Congratulations to the twins!

@MickeyMom76 Congrats to the twins on getting their license. I am starting to get nervous for my DS to get his. He gets his temps in the fall :scared:

For my new chapter I want to get my weight back in order. Like others COVID has done a number on me. There have been too many low points where I eat a bunch of stuff I shouldn't. This past year has been beyond hard at times. I am ready to get back on track.

Crib notes for the 2021 chapter of my life-book:

... be healthy and active
... make more friends
... with covid in-check, able to do group activities like bird watching and hiking
... clear out clutter and lighten the load
.... travel, explore more, get out in to the world

Congratulations to your twins! You learn very quickly to fall asleep once you hear the car door slam!

I’m Sandra, happily retired in south central PA. My husband and I hope to spend most of the year at our place in Ocean City, Md and are working towards to that goal.

Health wise my goals are to eat healthier meals, exercise consistently and over the next two months lose the extra 10lbs I have gained over my WW goal weight.

My chapter would have a daily checklist of small steps to help me achieve my goal:
Stop buying/eating empty calories
Walking 5 days out of 7
Drinking water with every meal.

I never thought of it that way, but I agree strongly with distraction. Last night after dinner, I was really wanting to eat cookies. But I asked the family if anyone wanted to play cards. And it worked...I never ate the cookies. I know I eat less at school that I do at home on the weekends or during breaks because I’m so busy.

I also had a moment yesterday where I opened my desk drawer at school where I keep my chocolate. It was more out of habit though than a craving. So I didn’t take any and shut the drawer. Then I kept thinking about it, so I opened the drawer again and basically used self talk to decide if I needed it. I didn’t.

For those who don't know me I am Tammy and I live in MT along with my husband and two daughters. My oldest is 15 turning 16 this month. She will hopefully get her learners permit right after she turns 16 provided she can pass the written test and we can get an appointment for her. She will not be eligible for a restricted license for 6 months during which she will have to complete so many hours of driving including a certain number at night.
My youngest is 13 and has a number of disabilities including a global developmental delay of unknown cause and profound childhood global apraxia along with sensory processing disorder mixed type.
I homeschool both girls and have their entire educational career with a short stent where 13 year old attended an hour to 90 minutes a week at the local public school for preschool based services as well as a partial year that she attended a small private preschool with a total of 5 students if you count the teachers toddler age child tagging along for some social language practice. The other kids in the class being the niece of the teacher and a good friend of 13 year old. Her older sister was good friends with 15 year old and the entire family have become good friends. They have moved to another state and we miss them bunches. The Nephew of the teacher's husband and the daughter of the man that teacher's huband's sister (nephew's mother) was engaged to. I would have like to have seen her have another year but the two kids who were going to be step siblings moved and since the teacher could not get enough kids to make it worth while she ended up working for a local daycare. They later moved to another state where her husband had gotten a better job.
The girls and I are active in the 4-H program where 13 year old is taking Family Adventures, Microwave Cooking level B 2nd year, Leathercraft level 1 first year, and Photography level 1 third year along with being the club historian. 15 year old is taking Cat level 2 year 1 and Beginning Embroadary 1st year. She may add some addtional projects as well.
The girls are participating in a homeschool bowling league this year as well and are doing great at learning the skills needed. 13 year old bowl using a ramp which has it's own and different challenges while 15 year old is working on learning how to use a good stride and release the ball with plenty of control to make it go where she wants it. They have their own set of lanes so we are seperated by clear barriers from other families participating which is currently one other family.

Motivation Monday:
View attachment 548057

I would like my chapter to include that we get back to a new and renew sense of normal though not necessary a complete normal from before this pandemic all started. There are things currently that I would like to keep including people have a sense to stay home when they are sick or not feeling well-please can we stay out of the stores is it really necessary to not only take your sick toddlers into places like walmart to pick up their prescription from the doctor but then spend the next hour doing shopping in the store while your baby looks absolutely miserable and is coughing and what ever else all over everything. I hope that places that don't have a drive up window for the pharmacy keep a pull up area and continue to have someone bring your prescription out to you so people don't need to go inside when they are not feeling well. (I have always used a place that has a drive up window so I have never had to take a sick child into the store or take myself in when I am not feeling well).
It is my hope that people have more respect in general of the personal space of others when we are no longer required to social distance of at least 6 people from those not in out household or for some their pod group. I thought the term pod that I heard on the radio this morning to describe a group of 2-3 households who are choosing to socialize a bit closer than with others was a nice term so decided to adopt the term myself.
I would like to get my house a bit more organized ok quite a bit more in addition to getting it at least somewhat presentable again without having days that I end up over doing it physically with my health issues which includes chronic fatigue and fibromyellgia. This way I don't end up putting myself out of commission for 2-3 days at a minimim and sometimes if I decide to push through too much to get something done as long as 2 weeks. I want to get back to doing some light walking in my house as well as eventually getting back to doing workouts in the pool. In addition I would like to start getting back to doing some light weights 1-3 pounds. I would like to continue to eat better while still enjoying good food and not as many trips through the fast food window which I tend to do when we are busy and running from one thing to another. More simple dates with my husband even if it is driving together to go and run some errands. Our errands for Monday were to an auto parts store to drop off the starter for DH's car to have it worked on, to the feed store to pick up the catfood order (didn't get the potting soil I had ordered as they had to modify my order) and to the grocery store to pick up the order from there which included some fish for me. I told my husband that he can have some as well. I also said the girls can have some but I know their answer is they are not even interested in trying some. Oh well more shrimp, crab meat, salmon, and cod for me. I will have some nice fish on days that the rest of them have either chilli or sloppy joes since I can not have those due to being allergic to the tomatoes in them.
Topic Tuesday: Cravings

View attachment 548277
View attachment 548278
View attachment 548279
View attachment 548280
Credit- Noom

How do you deal with cravings?

I try and find something else to do after figuring out if I am having that craving because I am honestly hungry or am I thining thirst is hunger. Am I needing something to do factors in as well. If I am actually hungry I determine if there is something else that I can have that might be a better choicer or if allowing myself to have a small amount of that item might be an option. Spending extra to purchase higher quality items of some of my favorites has been a great way to deal with such things as a cravy for chocolate as I find I am both wanting to make it last longer and feeling more satisfied with what I get to have. Items that are only sold seasonally help as well in this because a good quality salted caramel chocolate piece that I can only get between November and February at best becuase the company makes a limited amount and some years they sell out really fast will find the bag lasting longer of individually wrapped pieces will last much longer than the bag of salted carmel chocolates sold in the grocery store i can get year round and just have to open the bag and start eatting them knowing that when it runs out it is just a trip to the store to get another one.
It is sometimes something as simple as having a small slice of cake or a single cupcake instead of eatting the entire cake or an entire box of cupcakes in a setting when I have them around due to holidays or a birthday. We will be having a cake to celebrate DH's 50th birthday later this week but we don't need to eat the entire thing in one day and I plan to be happy with a smaller piece on the day and maybe a few more thoughout the next couple of days instead of getting upset that I didn't get my equal share when I have a I love anything with sweets child who has gotten her dad's metabolism and honestly can eat anything that I swear I gain 5 pounds just looking at it while they struggle to gain weight decides to eat several pieces one after another in a setting. 15 year old is not a sweets eater though will have a slice of cake for special occasions usually removing the frosting and giving it to 13 year old.

Depending on how bad my feelings are, I tend to distract myself. When my Granny Kay passed away (I was in my early 20's) I continued to work. I got the call after work but I was staying to help with a program that night. I worked at a daycare at the time. I stayed and worked that night night to keep busy and I worked at least a half day the next day before my feelings got too much to be with the kids. One think I loved about working at the daycare was that there was no shortage of babies. If I was having a bad day and I had time I would just sit in the infant room and rock one of the babies. I swear babies are the best medicine. They seem to make it all better. This is what I really miss about the daycare but also glad that I moved on from there.

This year I have been really bad with distracting myself. I have ate my feelings way too many times. This is what I need to get back. Being able to get back to the office and the kids activities will help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!