January 2020 Car Rental Thread

Dollar has extended their holiday sale. Just booked two weeks at 380.00 for a full size

Thrifty having a flash sale through car rental savers I got midsize SUV $183 from 1/30-2/4
Previous was $240 through Costco with Alamo
According to site this sale is today only

I changed my pickup time by 15 minutes and the price dropped over $50. I currently have 3 vehicles reserved because I can't decide what is going to best meet our needs. 5 adults, 1 child... 2 ECV's when going to/from parks - staying off-site :P (the collapsible Go-Go Sports). Its between a Minivan, 8 pax Minivan or Premium Crossover. The Minivan is the lowest at $532 for 2 weeks (Jan 25-Feb 8) thru CAA (aka AAA). Includes 2 Additional Drivers Free & Booster Seat.

I checked the final day (today) of the Dollar "extended holiday discount" deal, or whatever it's called, forget the exact name. It was actually better than when I checked it yesterday. They offered a mid-size SUV for about $187, all-inclusive, for January 18-25. I took it and got rid of my existing Costco Budget which was about the same price but for a compact. As noted upthread, Costco tends to get better as your dates approach, so they may yet win my business. (If you use Dollar, I'd suggest signing up for their Dollar Express program to minimize/eliminate the annoying upsells at the counter.)

Just switched to a midsize SUV with Dollar for $250 for Jan 24-Feb 1.

This is the first time we've used Dollar. Since we are Dollar Express members do we just go right to the garage to pick up the car?

I just booked with Dollar
Dates January 7(8 pm)-18 (8 am)
Standard Car (Compact was the same $)
After taxes and fees
$298.24 with AAA discount (code 3000049)
Same dates and car with Alamo was $348

Hoping this comes down but will start checking daily as I am a month out.

I checked today again and clicked on that Dollar holiday sale and my rate dropped $41.
Previous rate above was $298.24 (standard car)...
now $257.19 (mid size)

Just switched to a midsize SUV with Dollar for $250 for Jan 24-Feb 1.

This is the first time we've used Dollar. Since we are Dollar Express members do we just go right to the garage to pick up the car?

Yes, Dollar Express is very easy.
Go out to the car rental door, cross walk way, turn left, find the Dollar Kiosk (they share it with ???? Budget or some other rental agency), show them ID, payment etc and they will show you to the row of cars to choose from. Hope that helps.

We booked with Dollar today as well. Midsize SUV, Jan 24th to 31st, $209. Little nervous about going outside our Alamo comfort zone, but I'm doubtful Costco rates will drop that low.

So close to getting below $500 for a two week minivan rental. Prices were down again today. (Alamo, Costco - although I'm booked for just a few $ more thru CAA for the 2 additional drivers & booster seat free)

wow that's $40 less than ours for only one less day! Great deal!

I'm still a little nervous about giving Dollar a shot (it's been years....and when we have used then twice in the past, once we got to pick our vehicle and once we didnt) but for that price, it's pretty tough to pass up. What has your experience with Dollar been like?

I'm still a little nervous about giving Dollar a shot (it's been years....and when we have used then twice in the past, once we got to pick our vehicle and once we didnt) but for that price, it's pretty tough to pass up. What has your experience with Dollar been like?
I'm with you, Alamo has always been our best experience and we often find cheaper prices with Dollar but ultimately I go back to Alamo for peace of mind. I have done Budget and Hertz, Budget was horrid and Hertz was fine but never as easy as Alamo.

We like Alamo but rates are not as competitive for late January. Not impressed with Budget but we honestly have not had any problems with Dollar. We had a car issue once and took it to the Wyndham at DS and swapped it out.

I have booked through National, Alamo, Budget and Dollar at MCO. I haven't ever had a really bad experience with any of them. They have different loyalty programs and I've signed up with all of them just to avoid the lines inside the airport. To some degree I don't understand the loyalty to one agency over another unless your company is paying. I just strictly go by who is cheapest. All the agencies are basically in the same lot across the street at the airport and seems they are all owned by the same corporation. A few years ago I did get rear ended by another WDW tourist leaving Typhoon Lagoon. When I returned to my hotel room I immediately called Dollar (who I was renting from that trip) who were very kind, exchanged information. They gave me a code to give to the airport attendant to expedite my return a few days later. Over all I have booked with Dollar the most frequently in the effort to save money. Hope that helps someone trying to make a decision.

We haven't used Dollar before. We used Budget last time and the wait was horrible (but we didn't have whatever their program is so we stood in the loooong line). I figure it's a major company so should be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter