January 2014 Rental Car Deal Watch

It's starting, both Hertz with AAA and Alamo with the VISA code have dropped since Saturday. Not where we want them to be, but it's a start.

I hear ya! Our 1 way rental is still working out to be about $50 a day...still WAY too high!

I tried just about every code on Mouse savers and again...still too high!

I just reserved a full size car for 1 week for $144 through carrentalsavers.com. You can cancel through them anytime and you don't pay until you pick up the car. It's through Alamo. I'll keep checking to look for any other price drops.

I just reserved a full size car for 1 week for $144 through carrentalsavers.com. You can cancel through them anytime and you don't pay until you pick up the car. It's through Alamo. I'll keep checking to look for any other price drops.

Did you have to use a coupon code or anything?

I'm totally new to this.

Just kind of deciding we want a rental, too.

We're at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo for four nights; then off-site at JW Marriott Grande Lakes for one night (this is due to stupid planning on my part, we have an extra night); then cruising for four nights from Port Canaveral.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rent at Orlando airport, incoming, and then return the car in Port Canaveral, before the cruise?

Our dates are Jan. 21 - 26. (Not including the cruise portion.)

Thanks, y'all!

Yes, we do it all the time. They usually charge you a $25 surcharge for the one way rental.

MY 8 day rental was $179 base...by the time they tacked the taxes and charges on it was still way too high!

I didn't use a coupon code or anything. That's just the rate I got. But not all the car categories were at the price.

I'm totally no rental-car expert but I am quite pleased with the deal I got today.

• I went online and joined the free Hertz gold club, so I don't have to wait at the counter.

• Got a $30 off coupon on the Hertz site, which worked.

• Plus, because I have AAA, I got a 10 percent discount off the already good rate.

• Plus, because of the AAA, I get one free child seat. I have two kids that need them, but I'm only paying for the one seat. That's a savings of $63 right there.

Base rate = $249 for a full-sized car from Hertz for a week. And add $63 for two child seats, and my total cost is $312 for a full-size car (including all the taxes and fees).

PS: Also, I'm picking up at Orlando Airport but dropping off at Port Canaveral before our cruise. Usually that boosts the price quite a bit, but it didn't this time.

Way to expensive!!
Keep checking. You should be in more the $140-$180 range.

check out rental car mamma dot com they always have awesome codes. Sign up for the mailing lists for all the major companies. they will send you emails with upcoming specials.

Its way to early to book. Rates get cheaper the closer you get. I usually end up booking about 2 weeks out.

many felt the same way you do but got burnt this year (see the Oct rental thread here). Always a good idea to book something that you can live with then keep re-checking. For Oct rental I found my best rate in June.

I need to rent a mini van:headache:for January trip. In June booked 8 nights with national using KLM code and $30 entertainment coupon = $313.xx.

Have no idea what mini vans usually wind up renting @:confused3but right now it's double what I paid in October for standard/full size Alamo rental.:crazy2:

many felt the same way you do but got burnt this year (see the Oct rental thread here). Always a good idea to book something that you can live with then keep re-checking. For Oct rental I found my best rate in June. I need to rent a mini van:headache:for January trip. In June booked 8 nights with national using KLM code and $30 entertainment coupon = $313.xx. Have no idea what mini vans usually wind up renting @:confused3but right now it's double what I paid in October for standard/full size Alamo rental.:crazy2:
2-4 weeks out is the time that rental car companies release their last minute specials. I have never had a client complain about their vehicle price when booking within the last month.
Nor have I ever found a better price months in advance then closer to the date.. That's just my personal opinion.
October last min rates were/are extremely reasonable . I just booked a car for next week for a friend Mco 7 nights )117 taxes/ fees included for a standard vehicle.

just booked a rental from Dollar (in the airport) for Jan 7 - Jan 13 using
Promo Code: 5C13E
Minivan for a base rate of $189.99

We use Dollar almost every trip and we have never had any issues with the vehicles we get from them.

I will keep watching tho, because usually about 14-21 days out, they do have some specials and I can usually get an even lower rate.

I need to rent a mini van:headache:for January trip. In June booked 8 nights with national using KLM code and $30 entertainment coupon = $313.xx.

Is the KLM code the one where you have to call National if you want to cancel it or can you do it online?

We use Dollar almost every trip and we have never had any issues with the vehicles we get from them.

I will keep watching tho, because usually about 14-21 days out, they do have some specials and I can usually get an even lower rate.

That's a decent rate but does Dollar still make you wait in line? I generally get a similar rate with other companies closer to rental date. After bypassing all the lines and going straight out to the garage with National, Alamo and Budget, I just can't bring myself to spend an hour in line with three kids for a Dollar rental.

2-4 weeks out is the time that rental car companies release their last minute specials. I have never had a client complain about their vehicle price when booking within the last month.
Nor have I ever found a better price months in advance then closer to the date.. That's just my personal opinion.
October last min rates were/are extremely reasonable . I just booked a car for next week for a friend Mco 7 nights )117 taxes/ fees included for a standard vehicle.

my Oct week has over Columbus Day for years, it's prime time, didn't see any last minute rates that came near my rate. Everybody up to that date in the thread who were in the wait until the last minute camp were scrambling, but nice to hear some with later dates fared better. Everybody has a system, congrats on finding one that works for you.

Is the KLM code the one where you have to call National if you want to cancel it or can you do it online?

if having an issue you can email them to cancel, no problem. They will send you a confirming email.

that is a really good rate for a minivan:thumbsup2 If you find any other good minivan rates please post!

I just tried it for my 8 nights beginning 1/11 but have a feeling marathon weekend is going to be an issue with a good rate. Here's the quote I just got:

Rental Time:
1 Week at $269.99 per week. Unlimited mileage. 1 Extra Day at $44.99 per day.

Total Base Rate
$314.98

I just found a minivan with Hertz for $280 for a week in January using my BJs discount, best deal I have found so far but hoping to get an even better rate.

So this is bizarre, but with alamo if I pick my car up at MCO and drop it off at the WDW car care center my rate is $100 less than if I drop it off at MCO. :confused3

Strange, that. "Code" wouldn't work for me and my dates are just a few days ahead of you .
I did book with Dollar last week for 175 city Special. I

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter