Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution (School Lunch Reformation)

3TinksAndAnEeyore

DIS Veteran
Have any of you seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, a new reality tv show about the nutrition in school lunches? For those with kids (whether in public, private, or home school) the program is a must see. Even without having kids, what he has to say about nutrition is really interesting. The first show was on a week or so ago and I Tivo'd it and finally watched it. I thought it had a lot to say about how the USDA's somewhat unethical policies dictate the nutritional content of school lunches.

Here are a couple of links:

This one is from Jamie Oliver's website and is about the show.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns...ood-revolution

Here's a review of the show from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/ar.../26oliver.html

and a overview of the show and how the govt. is looking at changes from the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/di...ch.html?src=mv

I love Jamie Oliver. He has a real no nonsense approach to food making it easier for people to cook healthy homemade food. He did the same thing in the UK a few years back and has completely revolutionised the school dinners system.
He also visited Rotherham (a town in the North of England) to encourage the locals to cook their own food and pass the recipes and know how on.
Way to go Jamie :thumbsup2

We need the funding though. Week one Jamie went way over budget. It will be interesting to see if he can come in on budget and still have the quality of food that he wants.

And holy cow, those guide lines. Who was the brainiac that said pizza crust was 2 grains?!?!?

I wish he'd come here. Our food is horrible, beyond horrible.

As I mentioned over on the BL thread, I was mad at myself for forgetting to TIVO it last week.... but it is set to go this week.

I work in the public school system and I am horrified DAILY by what is fed to the kids. But you know what... some of what they bring from home is JUST as horrifying!!! It is just NO WONDER that we are bringing up a generation of kids that are destined to be overweight and unhealthy! When a parent packs a lunch box for an elementary age child that includes cheese puffs, fruit punch, cookies, and pb&fluff on white bread.....all I can say is....:scared1:

......................P

if you missed it, you can see the episodes on Hulu.com - that's where i watched both episodes

really good show and very eye opening

I think this show is fascinating. Of course, it's easy to see he's onto something, but I am concerned about how he's going about implementing the changes. Seems like he's spooking a lot of the residents a bit. Maybe that's what's needed - obviously he's gotten results in the UK. I was glad that teacher taught those kids what fruits and vegetable sare! After I saw that clip where they didn't know any of them, I took my own boys to the store and was so relieved that they did know what most of the fruits and vegetables were.

I still need to watch the most recent episode!

I just loved how that group of high school students -- totally, un-trained chefs-- took on and made dinner for 80! (last Friday's episode).

I work in a high school, and despite having salad bar available every day and healthier options, most students still go for the daily pizza and french fries. Processed foods rule here in Western Washington too.

Laurie

I will have to check out the show on hulu. I'm interested to see if it's possible for Jamie to make the changes needed within budget.

I've been horrified at what the $250/week preschool/daycare centers serve for lunch (we've been interviewing some new ones lately and have received sample menus). Funding shouldn't be the problem for them as it is for public schools.

There is a book called Lunch Lessons that addresses a lot of these issues and has a bunch of ideas of what to pack your child for lunch and snack.

As being from WV (native to VA though), funding will be a big hurdle. I know the cafeteria workers at my DD school. If they had the choice, they would cook different meals. But their "choices" are based on the food they are given to serve and time constraints. Lunches are varied based on the age level too. Elementary schools have a set lunch for each student. Middle school students get a choice between two different lunches and High School students have even more choices. I have seen first hand, you can give a student a very healthy lunch and most will only eat part of it. Not necessarily because it tastes bad, but because they just dont lean towards those foods.
Dont get me wrong, Im all for this concept. I have been agrivated with some of the lunches that DD is offered. There are lots of dynamics that complicate the issue and hopefully, Jamie will tackle these with some patience and understanding.

We just got through the new episode. I love that he's taking it to the youth of the town - seems like he had an easier time in the high school, actually! I am just saddened that french fries are considered to be a vegetable. :sad2:

That radio guy sure is a curmudgeon!

I have been watching it with my kids and we really enjoying it. I also wish he would come to my neck of the woods...

At our elementary school they have corn dogs, pizza, hot wings, and nachos on a regular schedule. Then the PTO sells chips and sodas as a fundraiser :confused3

So frustrating. I am hoping the program will influence the way school lunch is served. It sure seems like those in charge are giving Jaime Oliver a hard time. Why pizza crust can be two grains, but his brown rice isn't is ridiculous. and the argument at the high school about the amount of veggies in his stir fry was insane. Deep Fried potatoes shouldn't be considered a vegetable at all!:confused3 If the salad (which was probably iceberg lettuce) was optional for the meal with a chicken patty sandwich and fries why wasn't that optional for his meal as well?????:headache:

I've been wanting to watch it. I saw a preview on tv looked interesting. I was reading info his page and his reference page on Oprahs page.

As for the budget I am assuming its the schools budget?? I sure hope he can get some budgets set up for school lunches. If not schools should seriously consider a increase in price. I don't think the parent's would mind and the ones that do can send their own junk if they think its cheaper. I now it will come down to the free and reduced programs that cause budget issues. I'd LOVE to see some reforms. I remember reading something published of Bush saying he was going to help get soy milk into schools. So far I have yet to see that so don't think he did even work at it. :confused3

I'm very thankful they have salad offered at dd's school she says she picked it almost everyday now. :rolleyes1

We need the funding though. Week one Jamie went way over budget. It will be interesting to see if he can come in on budget and still have the quality of food that he wants.

And holy cow, those guide lines. Who was the brainiac that said pizza crust was 2 grains?!?!?

I wish he'd come here. Our food is horrible, beyond horrible.

Former President Regan had ketchup declared a vegetable choice :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter