Its official, starting tomorrow on June 15th. Masks are not required at Disneyland and no social distancing for vaccinated guests.

Obviously this is the first day and there is probably a lot of hype involved for locals.

But, it's worth watching at least the first few minutes of this video to see Rope Drop this morning; especially if you are concerned about crowds and/or distancing.

Now we just need activities to return to normal and continued vaccinations. Having Disney back is great, but for us out of town folks it's a little bit bittersweet without everything running full steam. I'm not sure if I want to drop thousands with travel, hotels, etc if I can’t get the Chefs Table at Napa Rose, or the Afternoon Tea at the DLH, or even try to request the Adventure tower (my fav) at DLH. I know things take time, but I'm hoping it's a quick ramp of weeks rather than months and months.

Watching how quick these kinds of things come back will also help paint more of a picture on what Halloween time at not only Disney, but Universal and Knotts might be like. No one has announced plans yet, but it's absolutely clear Universal is building out their Halloween Horror Nights. I'm hoping for very minimal changes overall (or none by then?) and the next couple months will be a huge test for that. Crossing fingers cases remain trending downwards even after Disney tests the waters....

It's definitely up to the individual to decide if this new change is something they can handle or not.
If the thought of having unvaccinated or vaccinated strangers with you in a Splash Mountain log scares you... then probably not the right time to go... or maybe don't ride that ride.
Disneyland will be around. Policies, vaccinations, health environment etc.. will change over time where it may align with different individuals' comfort level.

I agree. Yes, there Will be unvaccinated people, herd immunity people, and other people with various other viruses and illnesses around you. There will be people who get too close. This will all happen
If you are uncomfortable with any of this, then it is on You to not go at this time.

Obviously this is the first day and there is probably a lot of hype involved for locals.

But, it's worth watching at least the first few minutes of this video to see Rope Drop this morning; especially if you are concerned about crowds and/or distancing.

It's weird to think that once upon a time, that happened most mornings, and we didn't think anything of it. Now it makes me uncomfortable to look at!

"As we have realized the benefits of reservations in helping to manage Guest visitation and provide an even better experience, our reservation system will continue and we will gradually increase attendance as our operations allow," the resort said in a statement.

This has the same feeling that baggage fees had. That is, once they were introduced, they had zero chance of ever going away. Not a fan. We’ll see what this means for future AP holders (I’ll never call them “memberships”).

Anyone going to the park today? Just curious what it will be like. We all have assumptions. But just interested to see what "relaxed" social distancing looks like. Hopefully most rides are truly running at full capacity. We leave for our trip in 10 days! (Well a wedding to attend in Sacramento and then on to Disneyland!)
We’re here today - in DCA to start. There is absolutely zero social distancing and all the markers were pulled up overnight. They’re are loading rides at full capacity. Using indoor queuing. I’d say 75% without masks - and even though it’s hotter, it feels so much cooler & tolerable than yesterday. Haven’t been over to DL to see if the dividers on rides are removed, but about to go on Soarin so I’ll see if that one is gone. Lines got crazy for about an hour late morning, but are back to totally manageable right now. It doesn’t help that RSR and TSMM have been down much of today.

ETA: the plexiglass was still up in the queue, but down on the ride itself.

Last edited:
"As we have realized the benefits of reservations in helping to manage Guest visitation and provide an even better experience, our reservation system will continue and we will gradually increase attendance as our operations allow," the resort said in a statement.

This has the same feeling that baggage fees had. That is, once they were introduced, they had zero chance of ever going away. Not a fan. We’ll see what this means for future AP holders (I’ll never call them “memberships”).

Well, we had a version of an AP that required reservations and we had dynamic pricing on single day tickets. Now they can combine those together for an even more powerful system. Limit capacity to whatever they need to maintain guest satisfaction while at the same time have a single system for dynamically pricing tickets for non-AP holders. I hope it doesn't stay either, but it seems to Disney that this will be a powerful system for them to use and just brings a lot of "pros" with it (for Disney).

[That said, I'm fine with a "cheap" AP coming back that requires reservations Fri-Sun or something and holidays and peak summer days. I almost got a year out of that pass for the same price I was going to spend for 6 days in the parks.... well if COVID hadn't hit.]

I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority, but I'm disappointed with this decision. Glad about not wearing masks outside (which I agree isn't necessary. But now I'll be more worried about my 9 year old in indoor queues with unvaccinated, maskless adults. And me and DH will still be wearing masks because we don't feel like we can ask our child to and not do so ourselves.

Probably not worried enough to cancel our trip (starting June 20), but not thrilled either. Guess we'll be trying to figure out how to ensure our own distancing in line.

We get there on June 21. All three of us are fully vaccinated, but my kids (20 and 15) insist we will still be wearing masks regardless of policy. We will see how they feel in the heat.......

I feel good right now about traveling while vaccinated, but also think this is a window of opportunity to travel and feel a little "normal" before things might get worse again. (Hope I'm not violating policy here..... just sharing my thoughts for my family on travel).

We will be there next week. I am packing a travel umbrella to help with distancing where ever I can. Obviously this won't work inside - but I do like Matrixleos and use my backpack to create space between folks and my kid. I've never liked folks in my bubble - even before virus.

I'm excited about the possibility of umbrellas keeping people away. We usually go in the winter.....

Also love the backpack idea.
So, I did a thing. Apparently I'm going to Disney (Park hopper, California Adventure first) on Friday. 🙈 By myself. I don't even know if I'm flying or driving yet, or where I'm staying... EEEEK

That escalated quickly!

I'm starting in DCA on Friday too ! Let me know if you want some company , I love meeting people and may have some dining reservations I can share :)

I love everything about this. Post pics!!!

Limit capacity to whatever they need to maintain guest satisfaction…
I doubt that this has anything to do with guest satisfaction. I don’t believe that’s been a true priority for Disney ever since they discovered guests’ true crowd tolerance levels. They want to sell as many tickets as the fire marshal will allow. I think they know/believe that most/enough people will come, irrespective of crowds. Guests may get annoyed when the park is crowded and make a lot of noise about never coming back. But those are usually empty threats and, on the rare occasions when they’re not, there will always be someone to take the place of lost guests.

I suspect that requiring reservations will give Disney finer control over labor costs (because they’ll schedule CMs commensurate with attendance numbers) and will, therefore, increase profitability. I don’t blame them for this, necessarily. But I think it’s important to remember that DL operates first and foremost as a business that answers to shareholders.

I'm excited about the possibility of umbrellas keeping people away. We usually go in the winter.....

Also love the backpack idea.

That escalated quickly!

I love everything about this. Post pics!!!

Yes. Yes, it did. I’m still kind of in shock over how it happened. 🙈 These boards have definitely fueled my Disneyland obsession over the year! I’m also very excited to spend some time the day before and after with my friends in Anaheim. We are pretty close, but I haven’t seen them in person in a year and a half! So the whole thing is a little surreal and very exciting! Just hoping the forecast doesn’t get any hotter for Friday. But, it’s supposed to be 117 here much of the week, so I will probably still be fine… :-)

I doubt that this has anything to do with guest satisfaction. I don’t believe that’s been a true priority for Disney ever since they discovered guests’ true crowd tolerance levels. They want to sell as many tickets as the fire marshal will allow. I think they know/believe that most/enough people will come, irrespective of crowds. Guests may get annoyed when the park is crowded and make a lot of noise about never coming back. But those are usually empty threats and, on the rare occasions when they’re not, there will always be someone to take the place of lost guests.

I suspect that requiring reservations will give Disney finer control over labor costs (because they’ll schedule CMs commensurate with attendance numbers) and will, therefore, increase profitability. I don’t blame them for this, necessarily. But I think it’s important to remember that DL operates first and foremost as a business that answers to shareholders.
Sorry, I totally meant to say guest "satisfaction", just like how they mention increasing ticket prices has been to help balance crowding and thus improve guest satisfaction. I would love a little less crowds or wait times, but people are going to pack Disney if there is a ticket they can buy. You're absolutely right, this gives Disney a much finer and possibly "real time" view of how busy it is going to be and thus schedule for that and possibly increase single day ticket prices more dynamically and then announce during shareholder events that they've using "every metric to try and adjust crowd levels for the best experience possible (also we made more money)."

We’re here today - in DCA to start. There is absolutely zero social distancing and all the markers were pulled up overnight. They’re are loading rides at full capacity. Using indoor queuing. I’d say 75% without masks - and even though it’s hotter, it feels so much cooler & tolerable than yesterday. Haven’t been over to DL to see if the dividers on rides are removed, but about to go on Soarin so I’ll see if that one is gone. Lines got crazy for about an hour late morning, but are back to totally manageable right now. It doesn’t help that RSR and TSMM have been down much of today.

ETA: the plexiglass was still up in the queue, but down on the ride itself.

How early were people lining up at the gates? We are headed to DCA tomorrow and wondering what time we should be down there to be in for rope drop. We were there a few weeks again and based on that planned to be at the Harbor entrance at 7:00 but now that they aren’t holding at the temp check I’m not sure how early to get down there.

How early were people lining up at the gates? We are headed to DCA tomorrow and wondering what time we should be down there to be in for rope drop. We were there a few weeks again and based on that planned to be at the Harbor entrance at 7:00 but now that they aren’t holding at the temp check I’m not sure how early to get down there.
We came in from M&F - parked at 7:50 and were in the parks by 8:30, but the Harbor side is still crazy according to friends we have who used that side. They got in line at 7:50 and was back to Harbor/Disney Way. I don’t know how long it would have taken because they had a medical exemption that got them through security faster (not sure how that works), but it took them an hour with it.

We came in from M&F - parked at 7:50 and were in the parks by 8:30, but the Harbor side is still crazy according to friends we have who used that side. They got in line at 7:50 and was back to Harbor/Disney Way. I don’t know how long it would have taken because they had a medical exemption that got them through security faster (not sure how that works), but it took them an hour with it.
Thank you for sharing! Do you think M&F was open before 7:50?

I was at Harbor on Sunday at 7:15am, got into the park by 8:20am and on RSR by 8:35am. That said, this is before the rope drop came into play. I much prefer parking at Anahiem Gardenwalk if I'm going. Much easier access (24 hours) to get in and out. It's $18 for theme park parking. Just gotta be willing to do the 2/3 mile walk from Gardenwalk to Harbor entrance.

Wow, reading all these "June 15th" updates and comments has me both excited and nervous. We're going week of 7/12. Our family will continue to go with masks, if no place else at least on the rides. But you know what I'm more worried about are "incidents" you know, people arguing/fighting over the rules, the following or not following of rules, etc. Granted, seeing as there are basically no more rules anymoe I suppose there's not much to fight over anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter