It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

So I'm running an opinion poll here. ;)

The only good flight that I could get to Japan leaves really pretty early in the morning (for me!). It leaves at 8:45am, which means leaving for the airport at 6am at the latest. Well, absolutely *no-one* is available to take me to the airport that early in the day! So I'm weighing my odds. I could drive myself to the airport; but I'm not the best driver that early in the morning, plus long term parking for the 16 days I'm going to be gone could end up rather steep. Folks have suggested Uber or Lyft, but, honestly, I'm pretty leery about getting in a total stranger's car at 6am in the morning. What can I say, that's just me. I could take a taxi; also a pretty expensive option, and one that makes me a bit nervous, because I've had taxis just not show up a couple of times. So the option that I was left with, which is also not the cheapest option, is to get a hotel room near the airport. I could have someone drop me off there the night before, relax for the evening, then shuttle to the airport in the morning. Sort of start my vacation a bit early. It also has the advantage of lessening that morning-of stress of last minute packing. I'd already be all packed; all I'd need to do is re-pack whatever I took out the evening before and that morning, and be on my way. It's not cheap, but it does have it's attractions.

So WWYD?

Sayhello
What about a car service or limo service? Might be more reliable than a cab and cheaper than a hotel? I do Uber/Lyft all the time and wouldn't hesitate, but I understand your reticence. I'm more leery of cabs. Otherwise go for the hotel--sleeping in a little more is always worth it :)

The only good flight that I could get to Japan leaves really pretty early in the morning (for me!). It leaves at 8:45am, which means leaving for the airport at 6am at the latest. Well, absolutely *no-one* is available to take me to the airport that early in the day! So I'm weighing my odds. I could drive myself to the airport; but I'm not the best driver that early in the morning, plus long term parking for the 16 days I'm going to be gone could end up rather steep. Folks have suggested Uber or Lyft, but, honestly, I'm pretty leery about getting in a total stranger's car at 6am in the morning. What can I say, that's just me. I could take a taxi; also a pretty expensive option, and one that makes me a bit nervous, because I've had taxis just not show up a couple of times. So the option that I was left with, which is also not the cheapest option, is to get a hotel room near the airport. I could have someone drop me off there the night before, relax for the evening, then shuttle to the airport in the morning. Sort of start my vacation a bit early. It also has the advantage of lessening that morning-of stress of last minute packing. I'd already be all packed; all I'd need to do is re-pack whatever I took out the evening before and that morning, and be on my way. It's not cheap, but it does have it's attractions.

So WWYD?

Sayhello

Personally, I'd take an Uber. I've taken an Uber to the airport as early as 4 am and no issues. But if that is out of the question then nothing wrong with a hotel near the airport. We recently had an overnight 12 hour layover coming home from the Maldives and decided to stay at an airport hotel for the comfort and convenience. I like airport lounges but 12 hours is too long. I also had an upcoming positioning flight to reach an award flight to Europe for this summer get cancelled by the airline. I wound up having to book a new flight that comes in the night before so I am looking at another overnight in a hotel to catch my long haul flight the following day. As a travel hacker, I rarely pay for hotels or flights. If you have any accumulated credit card or hotel reward points that may mitigate the cost. I used Chase Ultimate Reward points to pay for my hotel at the Dubai airport coming back home from the Maldives. The unexpected hotel for my positioning flight this summer is being paid for with Marriott points.

So WWYD?

Sayhello
I have 6am flights out of LA to the airport a couple of times a year, so the trip early morning of would be OK for me.

However, for you - I’d second the recommendation of an airport ride share van or car service. That is what we are using for Japan since Getting to LAX is a nightmare & as you note trip is too long to park a car for 16 days. However, price them out compared to a taxi as some options can be more expensive - ie limo vs car vs shared van like Super Shuttle. I’m with you re using Uber or Lyft, not really my first choice either.

I also know folks who choose the close hotel the night before, and like the stress free early morning closer to the airport. If you could leave at 6am for an 845 flight, sounds like you are maybe close to the airport?

Considering the long flights ahead, I’d go with whichever option feels more “right” to you.

So WWYD?

Sayhello

How much is "not cheap"? It does seem that you are fairly close to the airport (if you can leave 2hr45min in advance for an international flight), so I'm not sure how expensive Uber/Lyft/taxis are.

Personally, I'd probably go with the hotel option, if it weren't too much more expensive, just for ease/peace of mind. But a car service is also a good idea (if it were me, I'd buffer the pick up time a bit, but I'm a worrywart).

I'm flying ANA also. You'll have to let me know how it is. I've read good things about them!

Sayhello

I quite like ANA - though most of my flights with them have been the shorter within Asia flights (e.g. 7 to 8 hours between Tokyo and Jakarta), not the trans-Pacific legs. I've done all classes. Good service in them all (obviously first > business > economy). The lounges are NRT are quite nice (you can use the ANA or UA ones and both have specific ones/areas for First class, though UA might not anymore).

So WWYD?

Sayhello

I'd definitely Uber -- you can even schedule the ride the night before. While I'm not a frequent Uber user, every time I've used them I've been very happy (including a few times in Johannesburg, SA). If you aren't comfortable with the regular Uber you could schedule UberX (the nicer vehicles). I always sleep better in my own bed, so I'd try to avoid an airport hotel if possible.

To answer your earlier question, we are on the June 2nd departure. Our package just arrived and I am getting excited for the trip!

What about a car service or limo service? Might be more reliable than a cab and cheaper than a hotel? I do Uber/Lyft all the time and wouldn't hesitate, but I understand your reticence. I'm more leery of cabs. Otherwise go for the hotel--sleeping in a little more is always worth it :)
A car service is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. The sleeping in a bit would be nice. I'm really just torn because each option has pros and cons. :)

Personally, I'd take an Uber. I've taken an Uber to the airport as early as 4 am and no issues. But if that is out of the question then nothing wrong with a hotel near the airport. We recently had an overnight 12 hour layover coming home from the Maldives and decided to stay at an airport hotel for the comfort and convenience. I like airport lounges but 12 hours is too long. I also had an upcoming positioning flight to reach an award flight to Europe for this summer get cancelled by the airline. I wound up having to book a new flight that comes in the night before so I am looking at another overnight in a hotel to catch my long haul flight the following day. As a travel hacker, I rarely pay for hotels or flights. If you have any accumulated credit card or hotel reward points that may mitigate the cost. I used Chase Ultimate Reward points to pay for my hotel at the Dubai airport coming back home from the Maldives. The unexpected hotel for my positioning flight this summer is being paid for with Marriott points.
So far, I haven't been able to find anything I can cover with points. Most either have no reward nights available or are too far away to be worth it. But I *am* looking at that option.

I have 6am flights out of LA to the airport a couple of times a year, so the trip early morning of would be OK for me.

However, for you - I’d second the recommendation of an airport ride share van or car service. That is what we are using for Japan since Getting to LAX is a nightmare & as you note trip is too long to park a car for 16 days. However, price them out compared to a taxi as some options can be more expensive - ie limo vs car vs shared van like Super Shuttle. I’m with you re using Uber or Lyft, not really my first choice either.

I also know folks who choose the close hotel the night before, and like the stress free early morning closer to the airport. If you could leave at 6am for an 845 flight, sounds like you are maybe close to the airport?

Considering the long flights ahead, I’d go with whichever option feels more “right” to you.
Unfortunately, ride share vans like Super Shuttle don't exist here. I wish they did, but so far, no go. I may look into a limo or car service. I live 30 minutes from the airport, and it's relatively small. Last time I flew internationally, it was Air Canada, and they had no-one at the check-in desk until an hour and a half before the flight! :eek: So yes, close and don't have to worry about getting there super early.

How much is "not cheap"? It does seem that you are fairly close to the airport (if you can leave 2hr45min in advance for an international flight), so I'm not sure how expensive Uber/Lyft/taxis are.

Personally, I'd probably go with the hotel option, if it weren't too much more expensive, just for ease/peace of mind. But a car service is also a good idea (if it were me, I'd buffer the pick up time a bit, but I'm a worrywart).
For the hotel room, I was mostly finding in the $200 range. But I did find one this morning for $153 for the night. Uber/Lyft would probably be between $35 - $45. Taxi would be well over $50.

I'd definitely Uber -- you can even schedule the ride the night before. While I'm not a frequent Uber user, every time I've used them I've been very happy (including a few times in Johannesburg, SA). If you aren't comfortable with the regular Uber you could schedule UberX (the nicer vehicles). I always sleep better in my own bed, so I'd try to avoid an airport hotel if possible.

To answer your earlier question, we are on the June 2nd departure. Our package just arrived and I am getting excited for the trip!
I didn't realize you could schedule Uber ahead of time. I'll have to look into that. And how much Uberx might be. I definitely sleep better in my own bed, but I think I'd sleep better knowing I was so close to the airport & didn't have to worry so much about getting there.

Thanks for the opinions folks. Keep them coming! I'm still considering options!

I quite like ANA - though most of my flights with them have been the shorter within Asia flights (e.g. 7 to 8 hours between Tokyo and Jakarta), not the trans-Pacific legs. I've done all classes. Good service in them all (obviously first > business > economy). The lounges are NRT are quite nice (you can use the ANA or UA ones and both have specific ones/areas for First class, though UA might not anymore).
Thanks! That's good to hear. I'm flying Premium Economy, so that gives me access to most of ANA's Lounges. I'm going to have to find out what is available to me for the United Airlines portions, especially the 6.5 hour layover at LAX!

Sayhello

Our ABD date is 9/29-10/9 with the ABD TDL/TDS post stay 10/9-10/11 and we are adding 2 extra nights to that on our own. I went to the TDR site to see what attractions will be closed while we are there. Journey to the Center of the Earth will be closed AGAIN. This is the second time we are going to TDL/TDS after an ABD and the second time that the ride will be closed for refurb. Aaarrrghh! Looks like we will have to plan another trip after the expansions are complete.
First of all you guys are on our ABD so hello again as we get closer. I was in mourning all yesterday when I found out about the maintenance on Journey. We are going to TDR the week before our ABD starts just got all our room packages squared away. I get that rides need to be worked on... it just really makes no sense that it’s going to be down 3 months Summer and Halloween (which watching trends of maintenance I’ve never see it be down). I truely hope it’s something dire that is a safety hazard (which is what I’m telling myself to feel better). While I’d love to dream and say we’ll definitely be back... there’s a whole world to explore. Just wanted to vent that out. I know the trip will still be epic and amazing Journey or not. And just getting to Japan will be another bucket list activity achieved

I have read there are ATM issues-- need to have a Japanese account etc. True?
I found this note about ATMs in Japan in our AbD trip booklet -

Many ATMs in Japan do not accept cards issued outside of Japan. Exceptions include ATMs found in 7-11, Family Mart, or Lawson convenience stores as well as post offices, airports, and some major department stores.

especially the 6.5 hour layover at LAX!
LAX has a relatively new international terminal, within the the last 2-3 years. I’ve explored it a bit when I had time before other flights. It is light, airy, spacious ( all compared to the rest of LAX) and has several restaurants and shops to explore if you want to get out of the lounges for a bit. Seems like it is set up for longer stays either arrivals before flights or waiting for connections. Not sure which airline you are taking out of LA to back home; if time allows, you might want to try spending some of your layover time there rather than in the other terminals.

So I'm running an opinion poll...

So WWYD?

Sayhello

I use a car service. It’s more expensive, but it’s also more convenient. I’ve used Uber’s before too, but depending on where you live, getting a Uber super early in the morning sometimes isn’t predictable. So if you do use Uber, schedule it. I’ve also gotten a hotel room. But in this particular case I’d arrange a driver. We have one now that I’ve known and used for years so it becomes pretty easy arranging the transfers.

Cool! We’ve been out of town for a couple weeks. It will be exciting to open up the box :)

Many ATMs in Japan do not accept cards issued outside of Japan. Exceptions include ATMs found in 7-11, Family Mart, or Lawson convenience stores as well as post offices, airports, and some major department stores.

Interesting. Has anyone contacted our first hotel in Kyoto to see what they say? I almost always get cash from ATMs when traveling abroad.

Yup, that was one of my sources on this topic!

I would echo the advice to schedule an Uber for a specific time. My mom's done several solo earlier than that and she's had good experiences. They do have some safety features built into the app also: "Share your trip details with a friend. While en route, tap “Share status” in the app to share your driver’s name, photo, license plate, and location with a friend or family member. They can track your trip and see your ETA without downloading the Uber app."

Yup, that was one of my sources on this topic!
Interesting. Has anyone contacted our first hotel in Kyoto to see what they say? I almost always get cash from ATMs when traveling abroad.
Well, shoot. That's going to take some re-thinking. I'm used to using the ATM when I need cash, especially at the end, for the Adventure Guide tips. I'm not a fan of shlepping that much cash around with me anymore. :( I believe I read that 7-11's are all over the place, though.

LAX has a relatively new international terminal, within the the last 2-3 years. I’ve explored it a bit when I had time before other flights. It is light, airy, spacious ( all compared to the rest of LAX) and has several restaurants and shops to explore if you want to get out of the lounges for a bit. Seems like it is set up for longer stays either arrivals before flights or waiting for connections. Not sure which airline you are taking out of LA to back home; if time allows, you might want to try spending some of your layover time there rather than in the other terminals.
I haven't flown internationally out of LAX since I was in college, and that was a LONG time ago! :) Thanks. I'll definitely keep this in mind during my 6.5 hour ordeal! ;)

I use a car service. It’s more expensive, but it’s also more convenient. I’ve used Uber’s before too, but depending on where you live, getting a Uber super early in the morning sometimes isn’t predictable. So if you do use Uber, schedule it. I’ve also gotten a hotel room. But in this particular case I’d arrange a driver. We have one now that I’ve known and used for years so it becomes pretty easy arranging the transfers.
I'll have to see what I can find in the way of a car service. That does sound like a nice way to go.

I would echo the advice to schedule an Uber for a specific time. My mom's done several solo earlier than that and she's had good experiences. They do have some safety features built into the app also: "Share your trip details with a friend. While en route, tap “Share status” in the app to share your driver’s name, photo, license plate, and location with a friend or family member. They can track your trip and see your ETA without downloading the Uber app."
I'll look into that. :) Just have to find someone who can track me at 6am in the morning...

Cool! We’ve been out of town for a couple weeks. It will be exciting to open up the box :)
Oh, that's right! You're on the June 2nd departure, also! You're having a busy spring, aren't you! :) I guess we'll probably be ships that pass in the night, as I'll be heading home from Tokyo on May 31st. When do you guys arrive?

Sayhello

Well, shoot. That's going to take some re-thinking. I'm used to using the ATM when I need cash, especially at the end, for the Adventure Guide tips. I'm not a fan of shlepping that much cash around with me anymore. :( I believe I read that 7-11's are all over the place, though.

7-11's were numerous but not as numerous as Starbucks when I went!

Oh, that's right! You're on the June 2nd departure, also! You're having a busy spring, aren't you! :) I guess we'll probably be ships that pass in the night, as I'll be heading home from Tokyo on May 31st. When do you guys arrive?

We arrive late on May 31st!

We arrive late on May 31st!

We arrive either on the 30th (I'm hoping for this day) or 31st! Do you have any plans for June 1st? I booked a private photographer for a few hours for dd's informal grad pics, then a guide (a friend of the photographer's) for the remainder of the day! I have read such nice things about Kyoto -- I'm glad we are arriving a bit early.

So far, I haven't been able to find anything I can cover with points. Most either have no reward nights available or are too far away to be worth it. But I *am* looking at that option.

I don't recall if you have one of the Chase Ultimate Reward earning cards that has an annual fee like Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve. If you do, you can use Ultimate Reward points to pay for a hotel even if they don't have award nights. You just book it through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal and use points to pay.

We arrive either on the 30th (I'm hoping for this day) or 31st! Do you have any plans for June 1st? I booked a private photographer for a few hours for dd's informal grad pics, then a guide (a friend of the photographer's) for the remainder of the day! I have read such nice things about Kyoto -- I'm glad we are arriving a bit early.

The only definite plan is Kate and I are eating at Kikunoi for dinner on the 1st. It's a traditional kaiseki meal that Kyoto is known for. Otherwise, we have a few temples and the Gion district that we want to visit. There's

First of all you guys are on our ABD so hello again as we get closer. I was in mourning all yesterday when I found out about the maintenance on Journey. We are going to TDR the week before our ABD starts just got all our room packages squared away. I get that rides need to be worked on... it just really makes no sense that it’s going to be down 3 months Summer and Halloween (which watching trends of maintenance I’ve never see it be down). I truely hope it’s something dire that is a safety hazard (which is what I’m telling myself to feel better). While I’d love to dream and say we’ll definitely be back... there’s a whole world to explore. Just wanted to vent that out. I know the trip will still be epic and amazing Journey or not. And just getting to Japan will be another bucket list activity achieved

Hi! I thought about booking room packages for the post stay but we want to try for a Harbor View Room again. My understanding is that none of the room packages come with option for a Harbor View room.

I thought when we visited last year that we'd just be crossing off the rest of our visit every Disney park in the world list. We knew fairly quickly we'd be coming back every few years. Scotland is another country we go back to nearly every year. There are some places that I just fall in love with and want to revisit. That said, we still go check out new places each year. The bucket list doesn't ever seem to get shorter. The more I cross off the list, the more I wind up adding to it.

I do think this trip will be phenomenal! The Disney parks are icing on the cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts