It's all about Rides and Rocks (the trip that nearly wasn't) TR starts page 6

I had better try posting en route then or as soon as I get back that bit of the trip if I have any helpful hints on seeing DA!! and tempting you with some pics!

Glad to hear your thumbs up for Love. I am now really looking forward to seeing it. Our last (and first visit) to Vegas we were tired at the end of the trip after NYC, Washington and a road trip and didn't see any show as I hadn't prebooked and the queue for discount tix put us off so I think our state of mind that couple of days coloured our impressions of Vegas.

I had better try posting en route then or as soon as I get back that bit of the trip if I have any helpful hints on seeing DA!! and tempting you with some pics!

I'm hoping you both post pics and tips in preparation for my visit in Jan!!

I love CDS. With a previous company I got to go to one of their opening nights in Perth, and attend the after party and meet some of the performers. On a related note, I couldn't believe how many of those amazingly fit and athletic people smoked :rotfl: I don't have anything specific to add for the shows in Vegas though, since we saw The Lion King instead of CDS. Before I realised The Lion King was on, I was going to book tickets to Love, but DH does enjoy The Beatles.

I will also be keen to see your photos, and see what I'm missing out on by sticking to the west coast :rotfl:

I would highly recommend going to Santa Fe. If your husban is into science stuff there's a plaque on a wall in a shopping place. I can't remember the name of the store but the plaque is in the courtyard that's fenced in. It's he site where the Manhattan Project met. I can give you other tips if you are interested. We have done Route 66 all the way to Needles, CA....extensive Las Vegas.....New Mexico culture and snow skiing, seeing turquoise mining places, you name it. We also tend to stay on the cheap. It find AMAZING deals!

That would be great, thanks! :thumbsup2

Glad to hear your thumbs up for Love. I am now really looking forward to seeing it. Our last (and first visit) to Vegas we were tired at the end of the trip after NYC, Washington and a road trip and didn't see any show as I hadn't prebooked and the queue for discount tix put us off so I think our state of mind that couple of days coloured our impressions of Vegas.

I know what you mean. I finished my first US trip in Vegas, and I was worn out from the previous two weeks, so wasn't enthused about much of what I saw. Love was the exception :) but otherwise I thought Vegas was pretty overrated.

Hi Wendy, I'm a little late jumping in here, I haven't even finished reading through the whole thread but wanted to quickly say that I'm so glad you've a trip coming up! It sounds like you had a lot to deal with recently. As someone who also does not have a 2014 trip planned, I'm so happy that you're getting to go in October. I've always loved reading your TRs, and will be looking forward to reading this one as well. I will now slowly go through the thread...

Have updated the trip plans with some minor changes. Changed from Vdara to the Carriage House as DH did not want to use valet parking for a rental car particularly and that's really all Vdara has. Means we also get to have a cupa before bed and coffee in bed in the am without having to go out to buy it - we hated that last time in Vegas, it was such a pain. Can laze about in the am before moseying out for a late breaky before our flight to LAX. All the reports on Diagon Alley at Universal is getting me very excited! Now counting down days til I book our FP+. Am hoping to nab a Seven Dwarves Mine Train as one of course. On MDE does anyone know if you can edit "My Plans" info (show times etc not actual bookings). I have managed to stuff it up and have some duplicate entries but can't remove them and can't find anywhere info on if you even can. Just annoying my tidy mind to have them sitting there. 69 days to go -:cool1:

All you OCD planners out there will send me empathy - discovered when the power was outed Tues am the docs I had open at the time when the back up power kicked in (whereby I immediately saved and closed them while battery back-up was working then logged off), overwrote the originals as 0kb = everything lost. ALL my WDW notes and planning-just thankful the entire road trip doc wasn't open at that time. My bad as I was working directly off the shared drive not the computer C drive and DH always tells me not to do this but its a new PC and I hadn't got round to copying files across yet. :furious:

Somehow think the replacement notes will be a lot shorter and what I don't remember I had I won't miss. Guess I am thankful it wasn't an important work document but I am sure you can hear the gnashing of my teeth right now regardless. and maybe I am wrong but I am laying the blame fair and square at Windows 8 which I HATE!!

Oh no to losing some of your planning documents, that would have sent me into a panic.

Like you I am getting very excited about visiting WWoHP. This is our first trip to the East Coast, so WDW will be new and exciting as well, but as a family who have enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies I think visiting Universal will be especially awesome.

Forgot to add, I had my first foray into MDE a couple of weeks ago. I was able to remove some planned shows out of MDE, but it took ages for the page to load, and it was only once the page had loaded fully that it allowed me to delete them. I then lost enthusiasm ( as it won't be until the 30 day mark that I can get really serious about planning as we are off-site), so have not been in since. I will have another go in a few weeks time.

Have updated the trip plans with some minor changes. Changed from Vdara to the Carriage House as DH did not want to use valet parking for a rental car particularly and that's really all Vdara has. Means we also get to have a cupa before bed and coffee in bed in the am without having to go out to buy it - we hated that last time in Vegas, it was such a pain. Can laze about in the am before moseying out for a late breaky before our flight to LAX. All the reports on Diagon Alley at Universal is getting me very excited! Now counting down days til I book our FP+. Am hoping to nab a Seven Dwarves Mine Train as one of course. On MDE does anyone know if you can edit "My Plans" info (show times etc not actual bookings). I have managed to stuff it up and have some duplicate entries but can't remove them and can't find anywhere info on if you even can. Just annoying my tidy mind to have them sitting there. 69 days to go -:cool1:

YAY for getting FP+ booked in.

Hope you managed to clean up your plans. If not, I think there is somewhere you can email to get help from Disney IT.

All you OCD planners out there will send me empathy - discovered when the power was outed Tues am the docs I had open at the time when the back up power kicked in (whereby I immediately saved and closed them while battery back-up was working then logged off), overwrote the originals as 0kb = everything lost. ALL my WDW notes and planning-just thankful the entire road trip doc wasn't open at that time. My bad as I was working directly off the shared drive not the computer C drive and DH always tells me not to do this but its a new PC and I hadn't got round to copying files across yet. :furious:

Somehow think the replacement notes will be a lot shorter and what I don't remember I had I won't miss. Guess I am thankful it wasn't an important work document but I am sure you can hear the gnashing of my teeth right now regardless. and maybe I am wrong but I am laying the blame fair and square at Windows 8 which I HATE!!

OUCH!!!! That hurts. :sad:

All you OCD planners out there will send me empathy - discovered when the power was outed Tues am the docs I had open at the time when the back up power kicked in (whereby I immediately saved and closed them while battery back-up was working then logged off), overwrote the originals as 0kb = everything lost. ALL my WDW notes and planning-just thankful the entire road trip doc wasn't open at that time. My bad as I was working directly off the shared drive not the computer C drive and DH always tells me not to do this but its a new PC and I hadn't got round to copying files across yet. :furious: Somehow think the replacement notes will be a lot shorter and what I don't remember I had I won't miss. Guess I am thankful it wasn't an important work document but I am sure you can hear the gnashing of my teeth right now regardless. and maybe I am wrong but I am laying the blame fair and square at Windows 8 which I HATE!!

How annoying! Computer are a marvellous invention, but when they let you down, they REALLY let you down.

Caroline what did you do to remove them? Was it in edit plans? and did you just hit delete? Thank guys for the empathy. It was quicker redoing as I knew (mostly) where I had sourced info but it is a leaner version. At least I have plans reworked out to know what I want to FP+ and preferred times since I can go in later this week and book. Now have to retrieve best viewing spots for parades etc but its getting there! Internet has been down 3 times this week for hours at a time too (just back on after being out 24 hrs) - not helping! and making me cranky!! (1st world problems).

Caroline what did you do to remove them? Was it in edit plans? and did you just hit delete? Thank guys for the empathy. It was quicker redoing as I knew (mostly) where I had sourced info but it is a leaner version. At least I have plans reworked out to know what I want to FP+ and preferred times since I can go in later this week and book. Now have to retrieve best viewing spots for parades etc but its getting there! Internet has been down 3 times this week for hours at a time too (just back on after being out 24 hrs) - not helping! and making me cranky!! (1st world problems).

:hug:

Yep pretty sure there was a delete option. Too scared to go back in there at the moment as apparently it was down for hrs yesterday

For the experts on getting items shipped to your hotel can you give me any advice. I read somewhere don't use US postal service as delivers to PO Box, instead make sure use UPS or FedEx-not sure yet delivery options on what I want to buy (not sure of supplier yet). Any advice would be appreciated. I presume I have it addressed to the hotel with Attn: my name, res number, arrival date?? Do you ring the hotel prior and ask as a courtesy/let them know you are doing this (will only be 1-2 smaller parcels max). On arrival is it usually brought to my room by a bell hop? If not is there any tipping etiquette with this arrangement I should be aware of? Thanks guys.

For the experts on getting items shipped to your hotel can you give me any advice. I read somewhere don't use US postal service as delivers to PO Box, instead make sure use UPS or FedEx-not sure yet delivery options on what I want to buy (not sure of supplier yet). Any advice would be appreciated. I presume I have it addressed to the hotel with Attn: my name, res number, arrival date?? Do you ring the hotel prior and ask as a courtesy/let them know you are doing this (will only be 1-2 smaller parcels max). On arrival is it usually brought to my room by a bell hop? If not is there any tipping etiquette with this arrangement I should be aware of? Thanks guys.

I tend to call my hotel to let them know if I'm shipping anything to them. If my boxes are brought to the room, then I would tip them.

As to which shipper I use.....that depends on what I'm buying and which shipping options they offer. I have to say that I haven't used USPS in a long time.

These days, we tend to get things shipped to relatives living in the US. So, I don't have any up-to-date information to share.

Have fun with the shopping !

I have a BOG lunch FP+ for 12 noon on our MK day - :banana:

Also changed our hotel for our second last night in Orlando to one near Alamo car hire as our other hotel was near Budget and Avis who were twice the price of a one day hire with Alamo. So car hire is booked for our day to visit KSC and to drive back to the airport hotel for our disgustingly early departure the next am. All the important stuff is now booked/organised - just dithering over tours in Monument Valley etc and waiting for LOVE in Las Vegas tix for Nov to be released with 50% off code. Every other month for past 4 months they have so have hopes will Nov too.

In meantime have tix for Queen - Its A Kinda Magic the week before we leave. Heard great things about this show and possibility a friend's son will be drummer (he just finished a tour with the Michael Jackson show).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter