Is your state running out of gas?

OK, I'm going to somewhat blame the media. Just got home awhile ago and happened to go to our Channel 6 website (out of Lansing) They're totally discussing the gas shortages with many pictures and small print underneath the pics that have NOTHING to do with Michigan. I feel it should just be a little blurb somewhere. But that's MHO!
OK, I'll bite. First, it would have been nice to have a link to the story you're commenting about. Second, did you read the story or just look at the pictures? This is a national story. Just like a hurricane would be. When a hurricane is heading to Florida, do you not see the stories in Michigan?
I could be wrong but I think the poster was more trying to draw attention to the fact that because the states most impacted by it weren't really called to attention (thus the comment about small print) it can cause people in areas not impacted to go out and get gasoline thus causing issues (including price increases) in areas without supply issues caused by the hack. That may happen regardless just by reporting it but you can still make it very evident don't do xyz but instead do abc in areas not directly impacted by the hack.
Actually we don't know what was in the article PP was commenting about. I went to WLNS' website and found this article...
https://www.wlns.com/top-stories/do...-commission-warns-drivers-amid-fuel-shortage/
And the first words are "As fuel stations in the East run out of gas amid panic-buying after cyberattackers hit the Colonial Pipeline on Friday... " (emphasis mine)

Maybe that's not the story PP was talking about, but it was the first one I could find talking about the shortage (there's another article about Colonial posting for a 'Cyber Security Manager', but that one only talked about the shortage about 1/2 way through the story).

Actually we don't know what was in the article PP was commenting about. I went to WLNS' website and found this article...
https://www.wlns.com/top-stories/do...-commission-warns-drivers-amid-fuel-shortage/
And the first words are "As fuel stations in the East run out of gas amid panic-buying after cyberattackers hit the Colonial Pipeline on Friday... " (emphasis mine)

Maybe that's not the story PP was talking about, but it was the first one I could find talking about the shortage (there's another article about Colonial posting for a 'Cyber Security Manager', but that one only talked about the shortage about 1/2 way through the story).
This doesn't appear to have anything to do with my post, perhaps a DIS glitch?

OK, I'll bite. First, it would have been nice to have a link to the story you're commenting about. Second, did you read the story or just look at the pictures? This is a national story. Just like a hurricane would be. When a hurricane is heading to Florida, do you not see the stories in Michigan?

It was just WLNS news out of Lansing. And yes I read the article. My bad.....just my opinion on it. Your bite made me realize maybe I should have just moved on. Sorry. :hug:

Saw this on Twitter:

[Guy bringing a plastic bag full of gasoline into his house while smoking a cigarette] No way I'm taking a vaccine. Too dangerous.

I haven't done that, but I remember once when I was a kid I saw someone desperate enough to get some fuel into a car that ran out of gas just to get it moving to the gas station a few blocks away. That person grabbed a wide mouth jar and filled it with gasoline from a gas pump. Somehow no attendant stopped it. I saw it being poured (no funnel) into the filler.

There were some weird things over the years I remember, including the first vapor recovery pumps. One gas pump handle had a really short nozzle, but this one fuel filler inlet had a "door" that had to be pushed open by a standard sized nozzle at the time. Couldn't get it in and the gas station attendant (this was full serve) jammed a hose in there to hold the door open.

The good news is that the pipeline is back online as of Tuesday afternoon. It will take a few days to get back up to full capacity, but the solution is in sight.

The good news is that the pipeline is back online as of Tuesday afternoon. It will take a few days to get back up to full capacity, but the solution is in sight.

It's going to be a mess for a while. This is going to be fun because of all the alternative plans to deliver fuel. There were all those long-haul truckers, ships, barges, rail, etc. that were contracted to deliver fuel.

I honestly don't know if we are? I mean, I've obviously seen headlines in the news, but haven't looked in my area. I haven't had an issue going to the pump yet.

My town has a refinery in it, I work from home, and most people I'm close with have the ability to work from home if they really needed to so I honestly haven't looked into it too much.

I will say, I just got home from the store and my car might as well be on empty, so at the very least, my car is running out of gas!

North of Atlanta, pipelines go right through here and we have a hub ...

On my morning commute, 11 of the 12 stations in my 7 mile drive were out of gas.

Best laugh was on way back this afternoon the same station still had gas and the pumps were not full ... I drove literally a couple tenths of a mile and the next gas station (must have gotten a delivery) was packed in the parking lot, a car had run out of gas going in so people were driving in the exit, blocking all those trying to leave. The line was backed up blocks. Pure chaos. :rolleyes:

This doesn't appear to have anything to do with my post, perhaps a DIS glitch?
Nope. Meant to quote you. I thought you were reacting to @Kitty 34's post about the news (since you referenced 'small print' as did she). If that wasn't what you were talking about, I misunderstood and apologized.
It was just WLNS news out of Lansing. And yes I read the article. My bad.....just my opinion on it. Your bite made me realize maybe I should have just moved on. Sorry. :hug:
Was it the article I posted? If so, IMO, you gave a false impression with the "I feel there should be a little blurb" (about the shortage not being in Michigan), since the first line of the story said the shortage wasn't in Michigan. The fact (not opinion) is the article I posted did say exactly that. If it was another article, I'd be interested in reading it.

Nope. Meant to quote you. I thought you were reacting to @Kitty 34's post about the news (since you referenced 'small print' as did she). If that wasn't what you were talking about, I misunderstood and apologized.
I was referring to her post but I wasn't really looking for proof of her exact article she was exactly referring to. I was just trying to provide clarity to what she was talking about (at least the way I read her comment) in response to MillauFr's response to hers about profits and media.

Kitty was just sharing her opinion on her local news (backed up by Colleen as well regarding the topic of news coverage for unimpacted states), I'm pretty sure we've all read stories describing what she did so I didn't really think it needed much more than just clarifying what I assumed she meant by her comment (rather than about profits). Some days I'm like a :magnify: with stuff other days I'm not. Today is a day where I'm not :)

I can’t wait to see if Saturday Night Live makes fun of this mess!

Some people are idiots and their freaking out caused this.
And gas stations so willing to make a buck , not setting guidelines on how much a person can get.
#GasFreakOut2021

This is the third time in the last 15 years where gas stations have run dry due to hoarding.

In each case it took well over a month after the underlying problem was fixed before you could be guaranteed that every gas station had gas.

By next week you might be able to get gas, but not at your preferred station or the first or second station you visit.
I waited in line at my preferred station at around noon today and filled up for $2.58/gallon. The country is not out of gas. There is no shortage. This is theatrics.

I waited in line at my preferred station at around noon today and filled up for $2.58/gallon. The country is not out of gas. There is no shortage. This is theatrics.
There are definitely areas that have the majority of stations out of gas due to hoarding. I don’t think anyone said the country was out of gas.

When hoarding ran the stations dry in the past it took several weeks for people to calm down and stop topping off everyday.

Several weeks where station A would have gas on Monday, none on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then gas again on Thursday while station B had gas and was out on a different schedule.

History is just repeating itself.

There are definitely areas that have the majority of stations out of gas due to hoarding. I don’t think anyone said the country was out of gas.

When hoarding ran the stations dry in the past it took several weeks for people to calm down and stop topping off everyday.

Several weeks where station A would have gas on Monday, none on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then gas again on Thursday while station B had gas and was out on a different schedule.

History is just repeating itself.

I'm a little older than dirt, and I've ridden out a lot of hurricanes, too. The worst of the gasoline runs was definitely the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973-74. It lasted a full six months, and when it was over prices never dropped back anywhere close to previous levels; nothing since has come anywhere close. At the time I knew several country families who chose to sink a tank in the yard; one of them still uses it.
images

During the embargo certain days were designated for purchasers whose license plate number ended in a particular number; you got gas that day whether you needed it or not, because there might not be any available locally when your designated purchase day rolled back around.

This pipeline issue is really not much of a problem in the greater scheme of things, though it is definitely an aggravating inconvenience in places where hoarders have most gone off their nut.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter