Is your state running out of gas?

Had to take my daughter to an appt just now. Most stations that I saw had their pumps covered. Walmart had gas but it looks like only at a few pumps.

I’m supposed to drive to Orlando Tuesday but might have to cancel.

Does that mean we should just go with it now? Just write it into the cost of doing business and accept it as normal? Every time it succeeds it becomes more likely to happen again.
No, it's got to be dealt with or it will get much worse.

No, it's got to be dealt with or it will get much worse.
From what I'm hearing, the problem is over and we should be back to normal availability over the weekend -- but it does show how venerable we are /how dependent we are upon gas.

From what I'm hearing, the problem is over and we should be back to normal availability over the weekend -- but it does show how venerable we are /how dependent we are upon gas.
By "problem" I believe he's talking about the issue of ransomware in general, and whether caving to the demands will make the problem more prevalent.

By "problem" I believe he's talking about the issue of ransomware in general, and whether caving to the demands will make the problem more prevalent.
Ah ... I agree that since this situation seemed to work out pretty well for the crooks involved, other nere-do-wells will try something similar. They'd probably go after a different commodity, and it's scary that such people can affect the lives of ordinary people.

And ultimately we'll all pay more for goods because of it.

No, but my husband is on SC and is supposed to be driving home on Sunday. Hopefully he'll be able to find gas before then.

Does that mean we should just go with it now? Just write it into the cost of doing business and accept it as normal? Every time it succeeds it becomes more likely to happen again.

They do. Businesses now pay for insurance for this.

Sure it sounds bad. However, a company will have to think of its own interests. We have an industry of anti-malware products that are constantly trying to keep up. The cost to the US economy of this hack is in the billions. Less than $5 million is frankly a pittance.

The gas station at the front of my neighborhood has been out since Tuesday. But this morning on my way to work all of the pumps had cars, so they must have gotten a delivery this morning. I'm sure by the time I get home they will be out of gas again. But we are getting deliveries.

No, but my husband is on SC and is supposed to be driving home on Sunday. Hopefully he'll be able to find gas before then.
I live in SC. It's pretty hit or miss out there right now. But tell him that his best bet is to check early in the morning. The one's I have talked to said the chances are higher at that time.

Unfortunately, companies have been doing this for a long time. And they don't like it to get out that they paid. I heard yesterday that 50% pay the ransom. I initially read that they did not pay the ransom....but they already had, it leaked and then the company admitted they did pay it.

Unfortunately, companies have been doing this for a long time. And they don't like it to get out that they paid. I heard yesterday that 50% pay the ransom. I initially read that they did not pay the ransom....but they already had, it leaked and then the company admitted they did pay it.
People keep saying this and I'm not surprised. But that wasn't my point. The very fact that they are contributes to this continuing to grow.

People keep saying this and I'm not surprised. But that wasn't my point. The very fact that they are contributes to this continuing to grow.

Oh, you're 100% correct. The way I've always heard it described is that it's "the price of doing business" for companies. But I totally agree with you....it's awful and will continue to hurt companies, individuals, and countries. This group apparently claims to be an "ethical" hacking group....by not hitting non-profits, hospitals, schools...etc. They only go after private companies. But here in the States, most of our infrastructure is handled by private companies. And how many people missed work, school, doctors's visits...etc, because there was no gas.

Oh, you're 100% correct. The way I've always heard it described is that it's "the price of doing business" for companies. But I totally agree with you....it's awful and will continue to hurt companies, individuals, and countries. This group apparently claims to be an "ethical" hacking group....by not hitting non-profits, hospitals, schools...etc. They only go after private companies. But here in the States, most of our infrastructure is handled by private companies. And how many people missed work, school, doctors's visits...etc, because there was no gas.

It's just another business model. The Darkside group even says on their website that they're just doing it to make money.

Oh, you're 100% correct. The way I've always heard it described is that it's "the price of doing business" for companies. But I totally agree with you....it's awful and will continue to hurt companies, individuals, and countries.

I'm wondering how much is lost to credit card fraud compared to ransomware attacks? When you hear of reports that people are able to invent fake names and fake social security number and still get approved for credit cards makes you wonder about banks' flimsy security.

They can fancy themselves "ethical" hackers (what a laugh) but when you interfere with the critical infrastructure of the country, you can cause all sorts of serious issues you never thought about. There's nothing ethical about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter