Is "Walking a reservation" unethical?

It is because of our VGF ownership that I am most distressed about the walking. Like a lot of people apparently, we bought to go in December and because of point costs, we want a studio, either lake or standard view. Well, I booked this morning, :). (What we got is no longer available.) DH and I are going on the Disboard Podcast cruise next December and we wanted to go to VGF either before the cruise or afterward. 2 years ago, I had to waitlist, and apparently some were walking because in a matter of days, the waitlist came through. I booked the weekdays we wanted, and will get the Friday and Saturday night elsewhere in a 1 bedroom where we can do laundry!:laundy:

Bobbi

After reading your comment that what a person typically books influences your thoughts on walking my first thought is that it is more likely due to either having actually been affected by walking (which is hard or impossible to prove) or else the fear of being affected by it. The small categories have always caused fits for people even long before walking.

I do book the small, scarce categories frequently but I had been affected in booking those long before walking - dating back to before online booking with calling in right at 9am and the room being gone, so I go in with hopes but also a back up plan or two just as I've always done. Now, walking would actually be beneficial for me vs what it was before and would be for anyone who knows about it. My thoughts about "fixing" walking are that any change will most likely affect any date adjustments no matter what the reason and we often do adjust because of travel arrangments. So that "fix" will be far more detrimental to me and I think will cause a pretty big outcry from many members. For those that getting the room for very specific dates and very specific categories I recognize it's going to be different concerns. I'm doubtful that one can request both to have walking eliminated and to still be able to make changes without restrictions or cost. I'd be ok if walking ended but for me, my fear is the cure.

I guess that people do not want to go back to the "day by day" booking, but that would fix walking. Of course, that could give you holes in your reservation, but single day wait lists often come through.

For me, it's a once every 2 year frustration. I have more AKV points, so if we really want Concierge, I can book a 1 bedroom which is easier. (DH and I are happy with 2-3 day CL stays). I did not buy enough VGF points, in fact I was annoyed because the March UY had to wait a whole year to get points, and I cut back on the number of points that we would buy. That was truly a serious mistake. I would not mind "having" to get a 1 bedroom so that I did not have to worry about getting a reservation there at all.

I am very happy with the 4 night VGF stay that I was able to book this morning.

I guess that people do not want to go back to the "day by day" booking, but that would fix walking.
I'm on board with that idea. They added the +7 day, which opened the walking loophole, because they were tired of getting daily calls to add on to reservations. Since online booking came later, I think it may make sense to go back to the way it was and everyone can book their vacation one day at a time online, or wait until their whole vacation is available and book it then.

I guess that people do not want to go back to the "day by day" booking, but that would fix walking. Of course, that could give you holes in your reservation, but single day wait lists often come through.

Nope - that was much much much much much more awful than not getting a particular room IMO. (Can you tell I thought it was awful?! ;) ) But we've had discussions about this back when they changed. Day by day was also not what DVC wanted - it was supposed to be that you booked from your date of check-out which was not day by day. In essence, day by day was that systems equivalent of walking a reservation but with worst consequences IMO - because you'd very likely end up with holes in your reservation and need to move one or more times.

Membership has also changed a lot since that time and my best guess is that a lot of people who were happy day by day bookers would not be so happy now. Online booking would only intensify the potential problems.

I think we booked day by day for CL at Jambo and for my mom's birthday party in 2003, when I could have only afforded what we "needed" if we had SV at the Boardwalk.

My other complaint with DVC is that everyone is confined to 2 waitlists. I cancelled a waitlist yesterday just in case I had to waitlist today's booking.

Last edited:
There's one bright side. Those that "walk" create openings for those who are "wait-listed."

What's not to like :)
But it often gives it out of order rather than those who planned appropriately. IF the wait list were a perfect system, it'd be close to making those left out whole but it isn't.

I think we booked day by day for CL at Jambo and for my mom's birthday party in 2003, when I could have only afforded what we "needed" if we had SV at the Boardwalk.

My other complaint with DVC is that everyone is confined to 2 waitlists. I cancelled a waitlist yesterday just in case I had to waitlist today's booking.

The 2 waitlists is pretty limiting when you consider that at some resorts that isn't enough for you to waitlist for every booking category in a room size. So if you just want to stay at AKV somewhere in a studio you can waitlist for 2 of the 6 possibilities.

I guess that people do not want to go back to the "day by day" booking, but that would fix walking.

I never went through it, but I don't think I would want that at ALL.

Overall, I don't see walking as a problem...maybe it's because (a) I own at AKV and (b) I am realistic in knowing that getting a value room if I want one may not be possible. As such, if I need a 'cheap' room I will be satisfied with a standard view. (Though we do have a value room booked for next fall for a few nights to try it out.) I just don't want to have to "fight" for a room just to save 10-15 points.

I have never had a problem getting "value" accommodations at AKV. I agree that a Standard villa would suit me just fine if value did not come through.

The 2 waitlists is pretty limiting when you consider that at some resorts that isn't enough for you to waitlist for every booking category in a room size. So if you just want to stay at AKV somewhere in a studio you can waitlist for 2 of the 6 possibilities.
I agree. Also, if you have more than one contract with the same UY at different properties you still only get 2WLs. It makes it difficult if you are trying to book multiple rooms for a family gathering for a high demand room category.
It does not seem fair that a person with 1,000 points and multiple home resorts only gets 2 WLs.

I agree. Also, if you have more than one contract with the same UY at different properties you still only get 2WLs. It makes it difficult if you are trying to book multiple rooms for a family gathering for a high demand room category.
It does not seem fair that a person with 1,000 points and multiple home resorts only gets 2 WLs.

So if you have multiple contracts but different use year, each gets two WL's? Man, I'm getting ripped off......

Yes, that seems to be the single benefit of owning different use years. That alone is not worth the drawbacks.
Overall I tend to favor having them together but there are other potential benefits. The main other one I can think of right now is if one travels at specific times and possibly if they want specific resorts. For something like BLT or BWV the extra WL slots can be huge, not so much for SSR or OKW.

As others have pointed out, walking a ressie isn't necessary anyways the majority of the time, therefore doesn't impact others the majority of the time either -- and when it does, that means availability is limited, therefore walking is necessary to maximize your chances of getting the ressie you want. In that case, the person who invests 10x the effort (calling every day to walk a ressie vs. booking online once) is the one that edges out those that choose not to. The choice to do it is really just a cost/benefit analysis of the additional effort every time vs. the occasional benefit.

I feel like I may be stumbling into a hornets nest here, but....I'm pretty new to DVC and just discovered this "walking" strategy. I'm in the middle of piecing together a convoluted trip. We own at BLT and are currently a few weeks away from being able to use points on a second resale contract, also at BLT (transaction is in progress).

I have a good portion of our BLT nights booked for the first half of our stay - using all the available points from our first DVC contract, which isn't many. I don't have much hope of being able to get into BLT on a wait list for the second half of our trip. So - I'm looking at a Poly studio at the 7 month booking window. However, I know that is going to be a nearly impossible task as well.

I'm toying with the idea of walking this Poly room attempt at about a week out and seeing how that plays out. Are there any risks to walking your reservation that I need to be aware of? I haven't decided what I want to do yet, just trying to dig up as much info as possible. Thanks!

I feel like I may be stumbling into a hornets nest here, but....I'm pretty new to DVC and just discovered this "walking" strategy. I'm in the middle of piecing together a convoluted trip. We own at BLT and are currently a few weeks away from being able to use points on a second resale contract, also at BLT (transaction is in progress).

I have a good portion of our BLT nights booked for the first half of our stay - using all the available points from our first DVC contract, which isn't many. I don't have much hope of being able to get into BLT on a wait list for the second half of our trip. So - I'm looking at a Poly studio at the 7 month booking window. However, I know that is going to be a nearly impossible task as well.

I'm toying with the idea of walking this Poly room attempt at about a week out and seeing how that plays out. Are there any risks to walking your reservation that I need to be aware of? I haven't decided what I want to do yet, just trying to dig up as much info as possible. Thanks!
If you walk at 11 months and are able to get that first night, then nobody else can cut in front of you so long as you're walked past the current 11th month window.

At 7 months, owners with home resort advantage can "cut you off", so to speak. That's most likely to happen during F&W.

That said, the good news is Poly is currently about 25% sold and 60% released so many more rooms than owners. The bad news is that everybody renting points at Poly are causing owners to use points for the current 7 month window Oct bookings. As a Poly owner, I've had 3 seperate people on multiple forums ask me if I'd be willing to rent points because they read old posts that I had done so in the past.

Bottom line, your chances are probably better than average but walking at 7 months isn't a sure thing once you get the first day like it is at 11 months.

Walking at 7 months can be a disappointment, home resort owners have already booked and every other owner at all of the resorts could be walking the same reservation as you. You need to plan for the worse and hope for the best.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes, the risk is if you need to bank or borrow points to do a walk, and then the 7-month walk fails because an owner books up a night in front of you. If your points are not at risk because they are within their home use year, then it wouldn't HURT to walk at 7 months.

Yes, the risk is if you need to bank or borrow points to do a walk, and then the 7-month walk fails because an owner books up a night in front of you. If your points are not at risk because they are within their home use year, then it wouldn't HURT to walk at 7 months.
This. It won't hurt to walk at 7 months. You won't be able to block people who own at the Poly, but you will be able to block those who also want to book at 7 months.

facebook twitter