Is upgrading to a studio worth it?

Stormin'theCastle

Mouseketeer
Okay, so I am booked at CBR for 1/17 to 1/24 with the 4/3 deal. My DH agreed to the trip because it was such a great deal (don't get me wrong, he loves WDW, but we went twice in '09!) We usually stay Deluxe, although we tried a Value over spring break.

This is my first moderate stay, and I'm having trouble getting excited about the resort - in particular, the room. Last January, we stayed in a 1-bedroom at SSR (thanks to the 4/3). We absolutely loved having what felt like a condo! It was a dream. Full kitchen, w/d, separate bedroom, Jacuzzi tub! :cloud9:

I don't want to pay for a 1 bedroom this time, but I am toying with upgrading to an SSR studio for an extra $632 (I would be using the SGG code discount instead of the 4/3 if I did so).

We would get a balcony, the fold-away sleeper sofa (which means extra space when not sleeping), and the kitchenette (regular coffee maker, toaster, microwave), which I see as perfect for having breakfast in the room every morning. (Not sure I'd do that at CBR with only a fridge.)

While no one spends tons of time in their room, when it's cold in Jan and you can't necessarily swim, it's nice to relax in the room. I think DH and I would love the balcony for a little space from the kiddos in the evenings.

Oh yeah, haven't mentioned this to DH! ;) Not sure he'd go for the extra expense unless I'm really convinced it's what we should do. Figured I'd get some feedback here first. Would anyone like to weigh in? TIA! :goodvibes

Disclaimer: as I get ready to post this, I'm thinking $600 is a lot of money...more than I'd save on breakfasts obviously...but it might make for a more relaxing vacation?!:confused:

I think you'll have a hard time going from a 1 bedroom at SSR to the CBR. For my money I'd stay at SSR.

If you're already committed to either a regular room or a DVC studio (vs. a 1 BR), I would probably just stay where you are. I don't really think it's worth another ?$90 or so a night for a DVC studio. And I say that as a DVC owner at SSR, who has stayed in studios, 1 and 2 BRs, so I have nothing against DVC properties - I just don't think an SSR studio is worth that much more. I might feel differently if you were talking about Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas because at least in those you're getting better access to 2 parks.

Just my two cents.

First of all, is the extra expense going to cause you any financial hardship? Are you going to be super skimping through the trip, or when you get home, to pay the difference? If so, stay where you are. You can have a fine vacation in a moderate resort. If you want to save money on food, you can always keep cereal and bread in the room, with milk and drinks and sandwich fixings in the fridge.

If you can easily come up with the difference, then I would probably upgrade for the reasons you mentioned. It would be nice to have a room with a balcony, and more floorspace during the day, plus you can save some money by utilizing the kitchenette for breakfast and snacks. Although I like the moderate resorts and I like the DVC resorts, there is definitely a more deluxe feel to the DVC resorts, even if you're only in a studio.

I would never suggest that someone go into debt or incur financial hardship in order to take a vacation (Disney or otherwise). Only you know if the extra cost will be easy for you to absorb, and whether the value you receive from the upgrade is worth it to your family.

Although the balcony and kitchenette are nice I don't think they are worth an extra $600.00.

Personally SSR doesn't appeal to me. I loved the theming of CBR. I also really like POR. Of the mods, POR would be #1. Love the boat to DTD and evening entertainment, Bob Jackson puts on a great show.

Why not look into a room at WL or AKL? You'd get a balcony and may be cheaper then a DVC studio. I've used the toaster in the CS at Mara or Roaring Forks to toast bagels I had packed from home. Both of those resorts are beautiful.

With the 4/3 deal this past November, we upgraded from a water view room at POR to a studio at SSR, but we got a $200.00 savings.

It was worth it to try something different and we did have a waterview room, like we would have had at POR and we had the water taxi to DTD like at POR. I did enjoy the Turf Club for lunch a few times, but the Artist Palette's food court was not worth the counter service on the dining plan. We ate at POR for the counter service for a few mornings, and the rest we did in the parks.

I wouldn't pay $600.00 more for that.....

Well, CBR is my least favorite moderate - and I love SSR, have stayed multiple times in a 1-BR. But, I would have a hard time justifying the difference in price for the studio. If it was me, I'd just stay where you are at and save the $600.

This past trip, end of September we had reserved a regular room at WL, then another code came out and we called about it and the CM on the phone said they could get us a better deal and a room at WLV, a studio. we've done over 10 stays in the regular lodge and for the price, decided to try the studio at the villas. The one bed and sofa bed are alright, when folded back the sofa offers nice seating and extra room, as for the kitchenette, really no need for a toaster or micro, we did use them occasionallybut not worth the price you got. All in all, the room is basically the same size, less one bed, I think we prefer the regular rooms at the Lodge over the villas. But like I said, our price for the villa was less than a regular room at the Lodge so we gave it a shot, to do over and pay more, nope, not worth it.

Thanks everyone for the input. :goodvibes

Talked with DH and we agree with the majority here, that the price difference just isn't worth the minor amenities we'd get. Gonna stick with CBR and give it a try. I know it gets mixed reviews, but it was the only moderate left when I booked so maybe it was meant to be.

I know my kids will love the pool from what I've seen, and we have some nice dinner ADR's lined up (which saving that $600 will help with!) so I'm not going to stress about the CBR food court too much. We're go with the flow people and we're fast walkers too so getting around should be manageable.

Looking forward to January 17!! :yay:

We are also DVC owners and enjoy CBR alot. We are staying there for 2 nights prior to checking into BWV in May. Have fun.

Have stayed at CBR for the past 3 trips. The food court offers a toaster for all guests to use. If you want to be close to food court request a prefered location such at Martinique. This is where we stayed 1st time with an upgrade due to problems checking in. You will be fairly close to either bus stop of Martinique or Old Port Royal. Food court is fairly large and can accomodate many people. The earlier you get there the less wait you will have for the toaster.

We also stayed in a one bedroom at SSR last year for the 4/3 deal. I too hope I am not going to be disapointed when we stay at a standard room. If I were you, I would talk to your DH, and list out the pros and cons. I haven't been in a studio for SSR, but I have for AKV, and they do seem to be bigger than your average room. As far as breakfasts go, I highly doubt you will save 600 bucks by eating breakfast in your room, but if you add in that you can also have lunch, it may worth it? Also think, how much time are you planning on spending in your room? Last year it rained our entire trip! We spent more time in our room then we did in the parks, but we had a barley 2 year old with us that was not happy in the rain. Personally, I wouldn't pay the 600 bucks to stay at a studio at SSR, I would to stay in a one bed room, but not the studio. Although I thought the resort was beautiful, I didn't like how spread out it was. If we didn't have our car with us, we would have to ride the bus to the lobby. If I could stay in a one or two bedroom, i would be all about it.

The theming of CBR and the grounds are so peaceful that it helps make up for the lack of deluxe amenities. The new pool also looks fantastic for kids. When we don't want to splurge on deluxe, CBR is my first choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter