Is this person on FB in charge of Fish Extender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked some meets here on Disboards. One for Easter Week (!) has about 10 posts and even mention of an FE group on FB. FB was mentioned on every thread I saw and none of them were very active. I think it would be very hard to bring people back from FB.

I just checked some meets here on Disboards. One for Easter Week (!) has about 10 posts and even mention of an FE group on FB. FB was mentioned on every thread I saw and none of them were very active. I think it would be very hard to bring people back from FB.
No it's not. It just takes someone to start the thread and volunteer to organize. Our July cruise has 10 pages of posts and an active FE group as well as a local candy/snack exchange.

I always think that it's funny that people come on the DIS to say that there aren't any more people on the DIS.

No it's not. It just takes someone to start the thread and volunteer to organize. Our July cruise has 10 pages of posts and an active FE group as well as a local candy/snack exchange.

I always think that it's funny that people come on the DIS to say that there aren't any more people on the DIS.

I love this! We've been waiting for a thread to start for the Bermuda NYC sailing on 10/24 w/overnight in port (or we were gonna start it ourselves).

Happy to report, one has been started and we joined right in. It doesn't matter how many pages, we love the cruise meets on the DIS and can't wait to plan with others here.

From the sounds of posters on this thread, FB looks to be a nightmare. So bad that they have to discuss it elsewhere. I agree with the posters who recommend the cruise meets on this site as the best alternative. A great place to discuss and plan everything a Disney cruise has to offer.

Please do point out where I said that. It's not necessary to put words in my mouth in defense of DIS! But that kind of comment is one of the things that turns people off of DIS. People here are frequently beaten up for their opinion. Heaven forbid you don't drink the Kool Aid and worse, heaven help those who actually LIKE Carnival and admit it here!! Personally I think it's funny that people who have never cruised on another line have all kinds of opinions of other lines because of what they've "heard" or "read". Or people who have never been on FB are jumping all over it without understanding the benefits. I also don't like that DIS seems to think they have the monopoly on Disney cruise info...to the point of not allowing any mention of FB (or CC?). Ridiculous! There are other sites with great information - wouldn't they want their cruisers to have access to that?

I think your July cruise is the Member's Cruise? I would expect that thread to be more active although I did mention to you that our Member's Cruise last year had a very active FB page for FE and candy exchanges. Actually all three of our last Disney cruises had great FB pages - lots of info shared, exchanges set up, excursions shared, friendships made. I don't see anything wrong with that!

I do feel there is a decline in current involved members. I remember having to read several pages to catch up at the end of the day with every thread now it’s around 2 pages. But some of the best advice when you are in a pickle can be found here.
I too can be caught up in the drama of heated debate, and sometimes find after I’ve written very long to the point post that I delete it instead of send.
I misinterpret sometimes when someone’s being funny and I’ve had misinterpretations turned back on me. I try to answer threads with less than 3 posts, ignore the what should I wear or late seating questions because I know many good people will answer them.
This cruise I text here more than FB but last cruise I ran a FB page that included FE and knew if my group had questions that I couldn’t answer DISboards would have the answer. DISboards never failed. The larger FB sites never had answers to harder questions that a few previous cruisers would have encountered other than “You should ask DCL.”
I’ll never give you up. I did have the FE Queen once because our admins invited her in and then later got her out. It was getting....
As for mine I started ours day 3 of the listings in 2014 for a 2016 cruise.

Please do point out where I said that. It's not necessary to put words in my mouth in defense of DIS! But that kind of comment is one of the things that turns people off of DIS. People here are frequently beaten up for their opinion. Heaven forbid you don't drink the Kool Aid and worse, heaven help those who actually LIKE Carnival and admit it here!! Personally I think it's funny that people who have never cruised on another line have all kinds of opinions of other lines because of what they've "heard" or "read". Or people who have never been on FB are jumping all over it without understanding the benefits. I also don't like that DIS seems to think they have the monopoly on Disney cruise info...to the point of not allowing any mention of FB (or CC?). Ridiculous! There are other sites with great information - wouldn't they want their cruisers to have access to that?

Sorry, that was not directed at you, but rather at the thread in general. My point was that there is over 20+ pages of posts between 2 threads complaining about FB and stating that they are there because no one comes here anymore. I just thought it ironic. Sort of like that old Yogi Berra line about restaurants "No one goes there anymore... It's too crowded".

I actually like that you are able to post your opinion here. The great thing is that we all have them and they are all correct! Different strokes for different folks, right? The point of all of the threads (that I have read, anyway) is that people are complaining about being shut down on FB. I was pointing out that that doesn't seem to happen here on the DIS. I think that the mods here do a great job.

BTW, I really like Carnival. In fact, our Carnival cruise was MUCH better than our RCCL cruise (and we have done multiple Princess cruises, and I liked those better than either Carnival or RCCL). I personally think that the RCCL people come across Kool-Aid drinkers based on our experience with RCCL, HOWEVER, I freely admit that our experience may have been a one-off experience due to the ship (Serenade) and the fact that 1/3 of the crew quit just before cruise embarkation. I think our experience may have been VERY different on one of the newer, bigger ships.

To your last point, I think FB is great... for those that choose to do FB. I am all for people that want to do FB, really I am. I have zero problem with that. However, there are a lot of people not on FB for a variety of reasons. You say people may not understand the benefits, but they may understand the drawbacks and choose not to use that platform. CC is a wealth of information, especially for lines other than DCL. I find that there is more discussion on DCL here, but do visit both.

I very much disagree with your assessment that the DIS has a "monopoly" on Disney Cruise Info and that they don't allow mention of FB. I mean, if they didn't, why would there be 20+ pages of discussion about it? The point that I was trying to get across is the opposite. That FB DOES NOT have a monopoly on FE groups. Groups exist on both. In fact, I have been on cruises where the two coordinated between the two sites. It can happen...

I think your July cruise is the Member's Cruise? I would expect that thread to be more active although I did mention to you that our Member's Cruise last year had a very active FB page for FE and candy exchanges. Actually all three of our last Disney cruises had great FB pages - lots of info shared, exchanges set up, excursions shared, friendships made. I don't see anything wrong with that!

They may have. AND... there is nothing wrong with that. That is my point. We had 20+ participants in the Southern Caribbean last summer, and we had more than that for our 2015 DVC Alaska Member Cruise. In fact, I suspect that a number of people participate in both FB and DIS exchanges, and again, I don't see where that is a problem. If people want to FB, let them FB. If people want to DIS, let them DIS. If people want to do both, let them do both... It's a free country...

Here is my question. First time I cruised the page was run by someone on the cruise. I can't find any FB groups for my cruise that are not run by someone on that site. Just got the google doc sign up today before seeing this. Was frustrated that said we could not start FE signups until 90 days out. I looked here on DIS for our date and no one has responded. How do you find your date on FB without it being that one? I tried today before coming on here and only one was posted. Thanks

Here is my question. First time I cruised the page was run by someone on the cruise. I can't find any FB groups for my cruise that are not run by someone on that site. Just got the google doc sign up today before seeing this. Was frustrated that said we could not start FE signups until 90 days out. I looked here on DIS for our date and no one has responded. How do you find your date on FB without it being that one? I tried today before coming on here and only one was posted. Thanks
Well, we can't direct you to any groups on other social sites. But, if you want to participate in a DISboards cruise meet group you need to look over on the Cruise Meets board to see if your cruise has one started. If not, you can start it. Fish Extender groups are handled on Cruise Meet groups.

Just looked at the other mentioned site that was not part of other group. Joined there. The Only on that site linked me back to same site. I am a joiner not a starter. I am chicken that way. I did check over there. I am only person who has posted on the DIS so far. A little disheartening. :) I was mentioning to my husband that last time seemed much easier to get things started over there and this one was little bit weird. Like the people but the way FE has been handled was a little different. I guess I will wait and see what develops.

Just looked at the other mentioned site that was not part of other group. Joined there. The Only on that site linked me back to same site. I am a joiner not a starter. I am chicken that way. I did check over there. I am only person who has posted on the DIS so far. A little disheartening. :) I was mentioning to my husband that last time seemed much easier to get things started over there and this one was little bit weird. Like the people but the way FE has been handled was a little different. I guess I will wait and see what develops.
Since your cruise isn't until September, I wouldn't worry about how many are posting on the DISboards meet thread. Often the cruise meet threads don't start being active until 4-6 months out. Keep checking over there. If you're interested in a Fish Extender group HERE, the second post there tells you what to do.

I checked your FB group for your cruise and the admin is someone I would stay away from. In my experience she will ban anyone who disagrees with her or doesn't follow her rules. On my current cruise she is an admin and all posts on the FB group must be approved by the admins. :crazy2: Like mentioned above someone has set up an FE here on dis for your group.

Why not start a new group?

Well, I thought I was the only crazy person. Am doing an upcoming B2B and joined what I thought was my first sailing group on a different social media site--was and am still freaked out at the controlling tone of the admin. Thought it was just me...then I looked into joining the second sailing group...that's when I realized the difference. WOW. It's like night and day...day being the second group and the Dis. Now I find out the admin of the first group isn't even on my cruise...ICK. Can't wait to un-follow her page...am in it due to a magnet exchange. Poor unsuspecting newbie cruisers. It will be my 5th cruise and I got caught in her web. Why, oh why did I go looking for something I had all along on the Dis?!? Thanks for bringing this issue (controlling mega queen of the FE kingdom) to the forefront.

Well, I thought I was the only crazy person. Am doing an upcoming B2B and joined what I thought was my first sailing group on a different social media site--was and am still freaked out at the controlling tone of the admin. Thought it was just me...then I looked into joining the second sailing group...that's when I realized the difference. WOW. It's like night and day...day being the second group and the Dis. Now I find out the admin of the first group isn't even on my cruise...ICK. Can't wait to un-follow her page...am in it due to a magnet exchange. Poor unsuspecting newbie cruisers. It will be my 5th cruise and I got caught in her web. Why, oh why did I go looking for something I had all along on the Dis?!? Thanks for bringing this issue (controlling mega queen of the FE kingdom) to the forefront.

Maybe we need to create an "anti" page with a similar name so that people find it during the search to warn them?

Maybe we need to create an "anti" page with a similar name so that people find it during the search to warn them?

very easy to do, set up a free website which will show up in Google search and then put a redirect to the the DIS,. This means that when someone clicks on the link they get automatically sent to here. Just needs someone who knows about such things and has done it before....... :rolleyes1:scratchin:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter