Is this being Pushy?????

kandb

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if anyone asks their CM when checking in, where there room is before they give you your room keys/cards? When we check into AKL in December, I'm thinking of asking where our room will be before the CM finishes the whole check-in procedure, so I can request a different area before the check-in is complete. If our room is near construction, I can then say can we have a different room. I don't know if this is making sense, :confused3 but my main question is can I ask "where is our room going to be?" before he actually hands me the keys? Thanks, Linda

I was just wondering if anyone asks their CM when checking in, where there room is before they give you your room keys/cards? When we check into AKL in December, I'm thinking of asking where our room will be before the CM finishes the whole check-in procedure, so I can request a different area before the check-in is complete. If our room is near construction, I can then say can we have a different room. I don't know if this is making sense, :confused3 but my main question is can I ask "where is our room going to be?" before he actually hands me the keys? Thanks, Linda

Hm, well, I probably wouldn't. I'm guessing they'll just say "Hang on one moment, I don't know yet." Personally I would just wait until they give you the room number. Maybe it will be a good room/area and you won't even have to ask to change it! :)

When my family and I were checking-in to the Atrium Club of the Contemporay last December, we were told our room would be on the Bay Lake side however it was not ready and we were given our KTTW cards. When we asked what the room number would be the Cast Member said I can't tell you that. I thought that was very odd, so I am not sure if it's the same for all WDW Resorts.

When my family and I were checking-in to the Atrium Club of the Contemporay last December, we were told our room would be on the Bay Lake side however it was not ready and we were given our KTTW cards. When we asked what the room number would be the Cast Member said I can't tell you that. I thought that was very odd, so I am not sure if it's the same for all WDW Resorts.

We had almost the exact same thing happen at WL - the CM said they would not tell us. They will tell you when the room is ready.

A hotel should NOT release a room number before the room is ready. The CM was correct not to tell you.

I do. I ask right away so we can change it if we don't like it. I have been over a dozen times and they have always done there best to find a "spot" I like. I don't think I ask for too much, nothing I am not paying for, BUT I like to be on the top floor, near a quiet pool, and not facing a parking lot. Have been lucky so far. Only 1 bad room at CBR, but we disliked the room and resort so much we never even slept there. We moved to AKL and had the best vacation ever.

If the room isn't ready it's true they won't give you the room #. They will tell you the area the room is located, so I would ask when checking-in or even request that the room not be located in the wing that the construcion is being done.

Of course you can. If you are being assigned a room while you are standing there, you should certainly ask. If you don't like it, that is the time to speak up. If you are waiting for your room to be ready. Ask which one it is. It may be a choice of several and which one is ready first may be the one you get. If he tells you he can't tell you, ask him "why not"?

In all our 38 plus visits, whether room was ready or not, they have pulled out a resort map and have given us the general area, side and general location we might be, and if the room is ready, they have shown us the same layout map with the room circled. We can then either take it by the way it locates to us or change it and on certain times the CM has said to go to our room and see if we like the location when a few other rooms are in the same general location. We never go to WDW during peak or regular seasons, maybe the lax attitude in finding a room for us but its never been a hassle or problem.

I usually say something like "Were you able to meet any of my requests?" which starts a conversation about the general location of the room, even if it's not ready yet. And really, that's all you need to know. For example, if you want an upper floor room at WL overlooking the otter pond, and you requested an upper floor overlooking the otter pond, and they say they did meet your request, what else do you need to know? When I checked into BC a couple weeks ago, they said they met my requests, and they did. Of course, when I got the room number I realized I had also been upgraded from a standard view to a water view, but I'm not complaining since a view was the one thing I DIDN'T request!

To echo other experiences, of course you can ask what your room assignment is. Once they have started the check-in process, we always do. Most of the time we have very few, if any, room location requests as we like to be suprised. I don't think any assignment we've ever gotten is bad and the one that I consider the best assignment ever was a total suprise (didn't ask for it, didn't request it at check in, just went to it and said wow). If you don't like the assignment, ask if they have something else consistent with your preferences before completing check-in. 2 BTWs: 1) Hotels will not tell you your specific assignment if your room is not ready for immediate occupancy. 2) Often, what looks like the "best" location on a map or what is described as the best location in a book like the Unofficial Guide is not necessarily the best location for all travelers (JIMHO).

I usually ask where they have put us. It's usually very tongue in cheek though. I say something like.."Okay, where did the room gods put us this time...wonder if our bad behaviour last trip means they have put us in a laundry room!!!" Usually, that gets the CM laughing at us, they then will say.."Oh, we put you in the 'whatever' area, with a view of 'whatever'...I think you'll like it there." They don't give the room number though...not until it's ready for you.
I have actually been able to change my room location this way...but you can't be demanding or pushy. Just be pleasant and cheerful.

My opinion for today:

Get a map of the resort and check out where you would like to be or not like to be and then make a room request at the start of the process.

Ask only easy questions, such as "Do you have rooms on the third floor?"

Do be aware that the computer screens don't tell where construction is. You should make the request in terms of more obvious landmarks such as "not the Baseball section (All Star Sports example).

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

When we checked into SSR in April, the CM said she was not allowed to give out the room # because it wasn't ready (we asked because there was a jellybean count contest and the kids needed the room # for the entry), but she did take out a map and circled the exact location (building) of our room.

I almost always ask. We love the Tahiti building 1st floor at the Poly, and when I request that at check -in I usually get it. I of course ask very nicely, and early -on in the check in process...I'd hate for the CM to spend 10 min. having to re-do our room assignment. That's not fair to the CM or other guests. Please note too, that we go during slow times. It will be harder to grant requests at full occupancy.

Of course you can. If you are being assigned a room while you are standing there, you should certainly ask. If you don't like it, that is the time to speak up. If you are waiting for your room to be ready. Ask which one it is. It may be a choice of several and which one is ready first may be the one you get. If he tells you he can't tell you, ask him "why not"?

Most major hotel chains (Hilton, marriotts, Crowne plaza, 4 seasons) will not release actual room #'s before actually assignment. Some will not even give you a room floor. They site security standards. You're free to ask for general location.

I'd say definitely ask. on our 2004 trip at ASMovies with our 5yold daughter and almost 10yo nephew, we had a "preferred" room booked. After the very nice cast member checked us in and showed us our room, it was in a building we weren't particularly thrilled about, so I asked if there was anything in the Toy Story bldng. He checked, yes there was. It took a few extra minutes because he had to get us new key cards set up.

So far, we've only stayed at POR. Everytime we check in we ask what building we are in to see if we got the one we requested. If not, we ask if there are any rooms available in whatever buildings we may prefer over the one they assigned us. If not, thats fine too but it doesn't hurt to ask. I imagine the CM would get more annoyed if this was asked after everything is final (when they are giving the keys) rather than while they are in the system.

If you are polite and not demanding, it doesn't hurt to ask.

We're arriving at AKL this Thursday and I plan to ask our for room location (or general area) as the check-in process is getting underway. I'd like make any changes (if needed) earlier in the process rather than wait for the CM to be done and then ask him/her to start all over with a different room. I would think that they would prefer that as well. Hope you have a great stay!

As others have said, you can be given the general area. Not the room number itself. For example, we checked into the All Star Movies and the room wasn't ready so we were told to call back. I asked if we could be told where our room was located so we would know the best place to park when we returned to unload the car. Then we were told we were in Mighty Ducks. No room number though.

Actually, be happy being able to check in early. The offsite places will not give you anything until after the posted check in time. You can check in earlier but you still have to go back to the front desk and stand in line again to get your room keys after the official check in time. Real PITA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter