Is This Allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bean

Mouseketeer
So my poor mom has been on the Disney trip from hell. She and my Dad are on a trip with my brother, his wife, my nephew, and my brother's neighbors and their two young children. My mom is a Disney veteran (AP holder multiple years etc). I think my brother is annoyed that my mom and I know more about Disney (she usually goes with my family as my brother doesn't love WDW like we do :) So....he and his neighbor have planned the trip and have made every newbie mistake possible. Seriously. Like crazy planning things. Breakfast at Ohana at 8:15 with fast passes at 9:00 at HS, wouldn't ride SDMT when it had a 15 minute wait because they could do it later, rode only one ride at MNSSHP and got only one scoop of candy...I could go on and on. They've barely done anything mostly because they said on their last day they were going to have a private tourguide at the MK. My Mom was so confused because she knows a VIP tour is $$$$ and they said "no, it's only $50 a person." They didn't make fast passes for today because my brother's neighbor said that this tourguide could get them into rides, a possible dinner ressie at BOG, and character meet and greets. The neighbor's wife said her boss has used this "private tourguide" before. So anyway, my mom just called and was livid. This morning a cast member named Gracie shows up (out of uniform on her day off) and proceeds to just walk them around. Basically just a human map :) She of course can't get them on rides or get reservations. She just used their app for them. I think she's usually a character minder but didn't have any pull to get them into see characters....Anyway, I thought this was terrible. Can CMs actually charge money while off of work and work as private tour guides? It seems like she misrepresented what she could do (although that could have been the neighbor misunderstanding) but even so it seems wrong.

Oh yes and this cast member also gave them discounts on merchandise around the park as long as they gave her cash (35% off).

Wow, I don't think that is allowed, it cuts into Disney's tour revenue. I am sorry your mom had a bad trip :(

Not allowed at all! CMs sign contracts saying that they will not steal services from Disney. This is directly stealing a service. Also you are not allowed to use your merchandise discount for family and friends. You can buy gifts for them on your discount but can not allow them to pay you back. All CMs let people pay them back but it is always done outside of the parks.

I would alert Disney or have your mom do it. It is just sleazy and you aren't getting the service you thought you were getting because this CM is lying.

Mom should have charged out on her own and done her own thing! No way would I have hung around with knuckleheads like that, family or not.

I agree. I never allow family or friends to sign me up at Disney for anything. I'm a Disney nut for sure and not about to sign up for non authorized tours. I know how 3rd party nightmares are made.

I sent a complaint to Disney Guest relations. I guess they say that they'll reoly to your complaint within three days. My brother also told my mom that they were allowed to meet longer with Buzz and Aerial because she knew those character handlers? Also if asked, they were to say they were the CMs cousins. I think it's awful.

Wow that is unbelievable!

Not something we would ever do. I would rather pay the full rate to Disney and know I am getting what I paid for then try and save a few bucks and then end up in a situation like this.

Holy moly! That's horrible!!!! Your poor mom! I bet she never goes back to Disney with your brother! And I hope this CM is caught and fired!

How does brother, family and neighbours feel about this? Do they feel the trip was a sucess? Were they happy with the "private tour'?

I am fairly sure Gracie is going to be fired. She violated her contract on so many levels and it would seem she has done this before not only for your brothers neighbors, but I would bet for others as well. At 35% discount she would probably be a salaried or long term FT employee, which would indicate she knows the
rules quite well and just doesn't care to follow them. She may be a subcontracted/leased department CM who is abusing her privileges.
I am sorry that your Mom was in such an awkward situation. So frustrating.

I really feel for your mom in this situation. If she was traveling with some friends or other family, she probably would have been better off doing her own thing as others have said...but she's on a trip with her grandson! I hope the kids and your mom managed to make some magical memories despite the failings of the other adults in this situation!

There would be steam coming out of my ears if I was your mom. I'd be furious.

I usually don't like "turning people in" but this Gracie CM (if that is her real name, btw---if she had any smarts about her she would be using a fake name and no nametag) has this kind of nerve she doesn't deserve to work at WDW.

If she doesn't use her real name, she must have a website/phone number/mail address to be booked. All Disney has to do is to make a fake appointment (use family or friends to avoid her getting suspicious), see who shows up and try to catch her in the act of accepting the cash for the tour, or follow her around till she uses her discount.

There would be steam coming out of my ears if I was your mom. I'd be furious.

I usually don't like "turning people in" but this Gracie CM (if that is her real name, btw---if she had any smarts about her she would be using a fake name and no nametag) has this kind of nerve she doesn't deserve to work at WDW.

If she is using her discount there is no way she is using a fake name unless she is doing it with the family out of sight.

ok, I know this is wrong on so many levels and I agree with everyone who has posted BUT there is another side to the story.

Being a CM is not a well paid job, it is basically on the same pay grade as restaurants in the real world (outside the Disney bubble) Many CMs are on short term contracts or have had their hours reduced. Most CM's live in rented multi person house shares.

MAYBE this CM is doing these unofficial tours as the only way to pay her rent , as her hours at Disney dont pay enough to cover her rent and bills. Maybe she knows what she is doing is wrong and knows she risks but the risk (to her) is worth it , if these unofficial tours give enough money to pay the rent and continue living in Florida and working at Disney.

Yes we all know she is violating her contract with Disney, but who are we to judge the decisions someone makes when they are doing whatever they can to pay the rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter