Is The Garden Grill Gross?

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm really enjoying reading them. Pumba- Your story about Pluto is really cute. It would be hard to be mad for bad service with great character interaction like that!

Does anyone know if the kids still get to decorate their own cupcakes? My little guys would love this!!! It seems like the changes in the DDP have eliminated so many of the fun kid desserts many restaurants used to have. :confused: I hope Garden Grill hasn't changed as well.

We usually pick it for our Candelight Processional. I agree with the other posters that the character interaction is great. We also always get a table on the lower part. I have heard people dont like it if they are sitting in the upper area. Also you have to ask the server for the cupcakes usually since they are not the regular dessert offering which is served family style. Maybe some servers automatically bring it to kids, our kids are teens and I asked for the cupcakes since they didnt care for the family style dessert. Also are the food offerings going to be enough protein for your grandma. I know she could have the salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing and the vegetables are baby carrots and snap peas also bread. Would that be o.k. for her? Does she eat macaroni and cheese? That is served to the kids in a smaller sized bowl. My ds says its gross and tastes like kraft.

We had dinner there a few weeks ago, and I loved it! It was a relucant ADR for me (couldn't get into any other character meals for dinner) and boy, was I surprised! The food was very good, the service was great, the character interaction was excellent, and the dessert was the best I had all week.

We had two adults, two "Disney" adults, and one "free" toddler--when it came to dessert, he came out and asked how many make-your-own cupcakes he should bring. Both of my daughters ended up having those, and the rest of us had a berry/custard/pastry-thing.

I too have enjoyed reading all the replies here. I am so looking forward to our meal there, 5 months 2 weeks seems like forever:sad2:

Does anyone know if they still serve the vegetables from the greenhouse for the Living With The Land ride? I read that once in either the Unoffical Guide or Birnbaum's and wondered if they still do that.

Not sure if they still serve this, but they used to have a yummy roasted vegetable stew as a Vegetarian alternative offering:thumbsup2

But I found the restaurant to be very dirty. I won't get into detail to avoid grossing everyone out.

You can find comments like this about every restaurant at Disney if you read enough of these threads. Just ignore the comments that say either it was horrible or the best they have ever had since these are obvious exaggerations.

There are a few people on these boards that have a tendency to embellish a little;)

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet but occationally
I do eat fish so when I 1st looked at the menu for GG
I was comfortable about the choices.
But and there is a but, I was very disappointed in
the food selection especially the Fried Catfish
because it was made to taste and look like chicken fried steak
(thick batter-heavy black pepper) and there was enough meat already.
The vegetables did not seem fresh to me but taste as if
they open a can and heated it up.
Sorry to be so negative but I thought it resembled and taste like very
expensive Cafeteria food.
:scared1:

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet but occationally
I do eat fish so when I 1st looked at the menu for GG
I was comfortable about the choices.
But and there is a but, I was very disappointed in
the food selection especially the Fried Catfish
because it was made to taste and look like chicken fried steak
(thick batter-heavy black pepper) and there was enough meat already.
The vegetables did not seem fresh to me but taste as if
they open a can and heated it up.
Sorry to be so negative but I thought it resembled and taste like very
expensive Cafeteria food.
:scared1:

Did you ask about the vegetarian entre?

My family and I try to go to Garden Grill every time we visit Disney World. And each and every time we have had a positive and great experience. So I reccomend that you keep your ADR.

Spring '05- CBR:) Winter '05- POR:santa: Winter '06- AKL:goodvibes COLOR="Cyan"]Spring '07-0 Poly:thumbsup2 [/COLOR][/COLOR] (upcoming) Summer '07- BW :yay:

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm really enjoying reading them. Pumba- Your story about Pluto is really cute. It would be hard to be mad for bad service with great character interaction like that!

Does anyone know if the kids still get to decorate their own cupcakes? My little guys would love this!!! It seems like the changes in the DDP have eliminated so many of the fun kid desserts many restaurants used to have. :confused: I hope Garden Grill hasn't changed as well.

Yes, they still do make-your-own cupcakes! We did it when we eat there this past December. It is a lot of fun!!

Does anyone know if they still serve the vegetables from the greenhouse for the Living With The Land ride? I read that once in either the Unoffical Guide or Birnbaum's and wondered if they still do that.

Yes, the veggies come from the Greenhouse there at the Land whenever possible. That was according to our server in December. The veggies were so FRESH that we had to ask and there is mention of it during the ride.

A few years ago they used to have the afternoon "Ice Cream Social" there - it was an awesome break for my DD & I since we had had a late breakfast and had dinner booked - we did a 3pm ice cream treat with Chip & Dale! I wish they would bring that back!

Sorry I'm kind of OT - haven't eaten a regular meal there and just being sentimental!

That's the only time we've eaten there too.
We loved that ice cream social!! :thumbsup2

This is a place that we always enjoy.
DH and I ate at GG way back in 2000 and again with DS3 during our May 2006 trip. Both times the food was great, DH loves the catfish and I love the beef and potatoes. DS did get the decorate-your-own cupcake for dessert and child's meal - he was a free and supposed to be eating off of our plates (we didn't ask for him to get his own stuff, they just brought it out to him). The character interaction was the best we had during that trip (we also went to CP and CM) - all of the characters came to our table twice for a good amount of time.
We have ADRs for GG again for our upcoming trip and are looking forward to it. The restaurant revolves quite slowly but it is neat to be able to see the Living with the Land attraction. We have sat at both the top and the bottom section of the restaurant and really have no preference. We did not notice it being dirty.

My first and only character meal, so I can't really compare it to others...but I was extremely pleased. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Chip, Dale, Mickey and Pluto all visited at least 3 times each. Mickey danced with me, Chip had the hots for my friends mom, and at one point, Pluto stole my salt and sugar holder and we chased him around the restaurant trying to get it. Afterward, he felt bad and stole the holders from other tables and put them all on our table. We got a kick out of that(Pluto is a real kick at the restaurant, isn't he?). Really fun, Dale sat down with us at one point to take pictures and admire the meal. The meal? We loved it, the veggies were fresh, the potatoes were delicious. It was crowded that day, and our server seemed stressed, but he was still very polite and brought our food quickly. A delicious dessert. The scenery change added to the fun. Really just an all around awesome experience. On a VERY busy day, we got great service, great character interaction, great food, and a clean restaurant.

We have been there two or three times. We like it a lot. If you have to pay, then I would go at lunch - it is the same meal, but without a salad or somehting like that, but less expensive. I plan to schedule it for our upcoming trip, as a Candlelight Processional meal. You can make those reservations starting July 2nd. It usually is uncrowded - nice, and the characters come a lot. Usually, you see them twice. You also get nice photos with the characters, since the kids sit on the outside of the booth.

I'm second-guessing my ADR for this restaurant... Can anyone help by letting me know about your recent experiences here?

My party will consist of me, DH, vegetarian grandma, and kids (4 & 6). I initially chose this restaurant because we would be in Epcot for Illuminations, the kids would enjoy the characters, and the menu seemed better for children than the ones with the standard new kids' menu choices.

I've been reading some really mixed reviews lately, though. Is it that bad? This will be the last night of our trip, and I really don't want to end on a sour note.

Thanks for your help! :)

My DD is here having a fit about the fact that people gave mixed reviews about it. She said, and I quote, "It's GREAT!" The food is very fresh, and the family style service, while hard to adjust to, was a great change up from the typical sit down. Of course, Chip and Dale made the whole thing memorable, so much so that it was number one on my DD's list of places to eat when we return in October. So we're giving it a definite thumbs up and go for it. :thumbsup2

I am also very nervous about scheduling this meal as we really don't care for catfish. It is just too fishy tasting for us. We prefer haddock. Would we be wasting our time eating here or are the other offerings enough to make it worthwhile?
:confused3

There is turkey, mac n cheese, veggies, bread and you can order chicken fingers & fries for the kids. DH does not eat catfish either. He filled up on all the other stuff including the kids food. Just tell the server not to give you the catfish and to double up on the turkey. It is family style and all-you-can-eat, so they bring you more of what you ASK for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!