Is Staying On-Site Worth It Now?

For me, it would depend on who I'm going with and what are the needs of the group. But off the top of my head, I am inclined to say no, it's not worth it with most of the amenities seemingly gone.

Now as for the needs of the people I go with, it's still worth it because the need is for proximity. Usually I go with my best friend, but she needs to be close to the hotel to walk back and forth between her meetings. If I were to go with just my husband, we could stay off-site but if we were taking the kiddo, proximity, especially with the need to get to the hotel quick matters a lot.

I usually book a year in advance when the rates for off-site are usually the lowest.
When I can snag a room at the DI&S for $89/night, It's a no-brainer to stay off-site.

While there are no onsite perks right now, my last two trips we stayed onsite at the DLhotel and the Grand - I did manage to get good rates. After the past 2 years we’ve been through it was worth it for me to be in the Disney bubble. Even small things like grabbing a dole whip with rum in the hot tub at DLhotel, or being able to easily sneak back to DCA one afternoon to grab Jack Jack Cookie Num Nums for the kids (ok fine, and riding Incredicoaster single rider.) ;)

Are your friend accustomed to staying onsite at WDW? It can be a shock to some to exit the bubble into the real world. It was for my boys when we stayed at the Hojo, althought we had a fabulous time they visibly “melted” on the walk home. I noticed a difference this last trip that they never complained about the walk back to the Grand. As a PP mentioned, I had no prior experience with the “extras” so my point of comparison is different than a return onsite visitor.
Actually they've never done Disney AT ALL- I have, so they were asking me for info. I'm not even sure how they are with their vacations, but hopefully this helps them out.

Wow, so many responses! Thanks, everyone! I showed my friend this thread so hopefully that will help. I'm not sure if the kids are big walkers yet, but proximity will presumably help. So many hotels being close by definitely changes the game, here.

I also wonder if they're ever going to bring Extra Magic Hours back... and if they do, how much notice they'll give people.

I have a lot of reasons I prefer to stay on site, but I understand that the cost is prohibitive for many. Do I think it's overpriced? As it currently stands, yes. However, it's my escape, it's my "thing," and I'm not a young parent who has to cut costs. I'm not wealthy, but I'm comfortable, retired, and usually sharing the cost with a friend or relative. I hate the walk from Harbor, Katella, etc. I don't find it unsafe, just unpleasant. There's something really nice about being cocooned in that Disney space and not part of the outside world for just a little while.

Having said that, I'm getting more and more discouraged with the many ways in which Disney in general is cutting quality, both in the parks and in the hotel experience. I have been expecting to see it start coming back, but instead it appears to be getting worse. I don't know what that means for me down the road, but I'm watching things unfold and wondering if I'll be doing my usual visits (Dapper Days, Christmas time) if this scaled-back but much pricier and more impacted park experience continues. I mean, for heaven's sake, there isn't even a nice restaurant in DLH! Why in the world did they close Steakhouse 55? Combined with the ridiculous reservation system for dining, it's unacceptable long-term.

While I liked the extra magic hours, it was never the main reason I stayed on site. Nevertheless, it adds to my overall disgust with the penny-pinching and experience-slashing steps that Disney has been taking.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest