Is Rock 'n' Roller Coaster really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do NOT like rollercoasters as a rule, and do get motion sickness on some rides, but this is the BEST ride there is, IMO. I have ridden it 4 times in a row! (benefit of a solo visit!)

This is prob different from other "coasters" for the reasons already posted: in the dark, you don't get the perception of height, in the dark don't know what is coming, and ride is pretty smooth (not jerky) as well as you feel secure in the seat itself.

If just going fast is the factor which freaks you out, you may not like it, but I love speed. Also I pretty much scream the whole way, but it is from exhilaration not fear.

Just to let you know it took me 4 years to do RnR and EE. I couldn't get enough! I loved both of them!

I don't like Splash Mountain or ToT. I have done the both and I will NEVER do it again. I do like Space Mountain also.

RNR is our favorite ride! The only suggestion I have is to take a deep breath before you take off. The take off is so fast it's hard to breathe ;) BUT, the takeoff is one of the best parts! As most have said, RNR is smoother than SM. I can't wait to ride RNR again. We will be riding it in 57 days!
It's really not bad.

Give it a try. IMO, if you can ride EE, you can do RRC. To me, EE is the scary ride even though it doesn't go upside down. I do love them both. RRC is very smooth and you are upside down and back right side up before you realize it. Just keep you head back during the launch and you will be fine. The ride is over in like 90 seconds.

I HATE coasters...I'm just not a coaster fan and would be bored to death in Cedar Point. With that said, I LOOOVE Rockin Rollercoaster! I only remember maybe one loop and one corkscrew but they aren't bad. My deal with coasters is the drop. I hate that feeling...which is why once was enough for me on ToT. RnRC is a very short ride, IMO and its fun. Its intense but not in a scary way. I also love EE and even though I get a bit sick on the backwards part, its my favorite ride at WDW. Again, there are no big drops there and the one drop you see is at such a curve that it doesn't bother me at all. I really think you should try RnRC. You have to remember, WDW isn't Cedar Point and there are not really any terrible thrill coasters there. The rides at WDW are MORE fun IMO!! Just go for it...its a great ride!

Question for knieriem, how was Space Mtn (and Splash Mtn) for you?
Asking because I'm a big wuss too, and I've never ridden them (only Big Thunder & ToT)

I haven't ridden Splash Mountain..plan to do that in November on my birthday trip. Space Mountain was fine from what I remember. It's been a couple of years but I didn't get sick though I did have my eyes closed most of the time..not sure why since it's dark in there!

I plan on writing my first trip report when I get back so I'll have to let everyone know if I chickened out or not for rock n roller coaster.

The part of the ride that I think is the worst is the take off. I felt like I had whiplash. Will never ride it again.

The launch is the best part!

When it's getting ready to start, make sure you lean your head back against the headrest. Otherwise, I can see how going 0-60 in 3 seconds would give you whiplash.

I'm going to Orlando the last week of October. I've only been to Disneyland so far so this will be my first trip to the World.

Everyone keeps saying the launch is so intense and the scariest part of the ride. How does it compare to California Screamin', if anyone has rode both? And do you get a countdown or a warning before the launch on RnR? Screamin' launch was fun but I would hate to take off unexpectedly.

I'm going to Orlando the last week of October. I've only been to Disneyland so far so this will be my first trip to the World.

Everyone keeps saying the launch is so intense and the scariest part of the ride. How does it compare to California Screamin', if anyone has rode both? And do you get a countdown or a warning before the launch on RnR? Screamin' launch was fun but I would hate to take off unexpectedly.

Launch is pretty similar to CA Screamin'.

And RNRC does give you a countdown, so it's not the surprise like you have at CA - unless you know the count with all of the little prep noises.

I want to put this caveat on my opinion to follow: everyone is different and the only way to know is to try it.

That being said, I am the biggest wuss when it comes to coasters EVER. My husband hates it, because I won't ride many things. However, I have been on every "coaster" at Disney with the exception of Tower of Terror and California Screamin at Disneyland.

Here is my take on Rockin Roller Coaster. I have been on it twice. On the third try, I got so hysterical before the ride could start, that they took me off the ride. Yes, I was that crazy person crying that had to literally be carried off the ride. The part that got me so upset: the launch. I can't take it AT ALL. Once the ride starts I'm completely fine... the loops you don't even feel, and it actually kinda cool the lighting and effects in an indoor dark coaster. If you can get past the launch, you're all set!!! So my advice, do your best NOT to look at the ride vehicles take off while you are waiting in the line.

As a side note, I LOVE Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain. I could ride Thunder Mountain a million times in a row and never get tired of it. I can't handle Splash and Everest because of the drop (one drop on each), thus why I won't try Tower of Terror.

I seem to have developed a problem which I noticed on my last visit. I rode Everest and didn't find it scary at all. However, after I got off the ride I was very dizzy for a few minutes. I experienced the same thing riding the Test Track at Epcot. So, I think I need to call these speed rides "quits". I didn't get sick but it wasn't pleasant even if it only lasted briefly. I did ride Splash Mountain with no problem, but that doesn't go fast except, maybe the final drop which I love. Guess I'll ride that one over and over. I have been on Space Mountain, by the way, which I didn't find scary or dizzying at all (at the time). It was rough on my bum, though. It's funny how thise rides affect us differently. I have friends, one who was terrified of Space Mountain but loved the teacup ride. Her (ex)husband loved Space Mountain but couldn't ride the teacups because it made him ill.

The only ride I got dizzy on was EE. I think though it was due to my blood sugar being low before going on the ride and instead of getting out of line, we had been waiting 30 mins, I decided to wait through. I'll never ride any ride ever again with a low blood sugar! I'll be riding it for the 2nd time in November so if I'm not dizzy then I'll know for sure it's the blood sugar.

Thanks for all the advice! I still haven't decided if I'll be trying it out in November....

I love RnR, but the worst part to me is the acceleration at the beginning. Once your body gets over that, the rest is cake. Even the upside down parts. It might be scarier because it's in the dark, but then again that might make it easier because you have no idea what's coming next, lol.

i am not a thrill ride person (i almost went totally jelly fish after riding nitro at 6 flags) but i did love rockin roller coaster. i also tried riding tower of terror - never again!

I rode this for the 1st time last month. After the ride stops and before you get to the unloading platform I told my friend "I don't need to do that again!". But after awhile of walking around and thinking about it I said to her "You know what? That was kind of fun". So will I ride it again? I am not sure. It will be a game time decision on my next trip! ;)

It goes upside down in the dark. If BTMRR is almost too much for you, RnRC surely will be. I love the ride and it is my favorite at WDW, btu unless you really love Aerosmith, the themeing is probably not worth it if you are scared of roller coasters.

I'mnot sure this will help if you are iffy about RnRC, but if you do a google search, you'll find a great site about rollercoasters. It lists just about every roller coaster in the world - including the ones at WDW. What I like about it is it lists the ride elements and defines each (corksrew, say) It is easy to compare with coasters you may have seen or ridden elsewhere. Each manufacturer makes their coasters a certain way, so the track is similar.If you kow the biggest drop is only say 70 feet (Splash) - that kind of puts it in perspective. RnRC may go 0to 60 in a hurry, but most of us go 60mph in our cars every day and think nothing of it. RnRC is 90 seconds start to finish. 90 seconds! You can't boil a cup of water in a microwave that fast!

As for Space Mountian, my understanding is that a big part of what they are rehabbing now is to make the ride much smoother. I think that's one of the reasons why it may be difficult for some to ride it.

RnRC does have a sister coaster. I forget where it is located - but it is outdoors. Seeing it (see above) will give you an idea of what the track looks like - but it may not make it look less scary. It will however give everyone an appreciation for how much the Disney ride theming really add to the ride. presoally I thought the RnRC theming is not Disney's best effort especially when compared to EE or US's Mummy ride...but it still beats no theming by a mile!

I went on RnRR for the first time last week (it was a honeymoon promise I made to my DH). I hate roller coasters - especially drops. That being said, I would definitely go back on RnRR. I was very nervous waiting in line (why do they have to show the launches right in front of you?!?), but once the ride started I was ok. Now that I've been on it once and know what will happen, I think I would enjoy it much more on a 2nd trip. The first few seconds are intense, but after that it really just becomes a nice way to feel cool wind on your face. You should definitely try it!! By the way, I'm still working up courage to try EE...I was game to try it last week (finally), but it was down. Maybe next time!

Every time I go to WDW I chicken out on this ride. I am not a roller coaster fan at all. Up until recently I wouldn't ride anything but I conquered my fears on Big Thunder Mountain (I can actually ride with my eyes open now!) I've ridden Everest once..going to try it a 2nd time in November. Ridden Space Mountain once and Tower of Terror once as well.

Is Rock 'n' Roller coaster any different than these rides? I heard it goes upside down and that's my biggest fear. My husband loves coasters, he's ridden some of the biggest in the US, and says it's not a big deal that you don't notice being upside down.

I'm just afraid that I'll get on the ride and freak out. I don't want to be that person!

Anyone else out there conquered their fear and ridden this ride?

I have done it and I am not a thrill ride person at all.....and I survived! YAY! It is not bad really. It is soooo fast that you don't even realize that your upside down:eek:. The ride is over in a matter of a few minutes. I found the worst part to be the first 3 seconds when it takes off and goes from 0-60 mph:scared1:. I was just about to say "I shouldn't have done this" and then it became just a fast roller coaster ride through the dark with a few loops. I was very proud of myself when I got off.:yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter