Is Kidani bad with wifi?

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
Unfortunately I have to work on vacation (during our off days and in the evenings/mornings before parks). We are currently at Kidani and the wifi is so terrible I cannot even work at times since web pages won't load. I have never had this issue before. Is it just a Kidani thing or does this just happen sometimes? I really wish there were a pay option for better internet because my phone hotspot won't work with my laptop for some reason. I have two trips planned next year (BLT and GF) and I have to figure something else out if this might happen there too. Any suggestions?

No suggestions for right now.

For future trips, I'd get help figuring out how to use your laptop with your cell phone. Disney wi-fi can be good or not. IMO, it's neither reliable enough or secure enough to use for work.

Just back from BWV and wi-fi was quite good for me this time. But all I did was light surfing, and use the MDE app. I also downloaded a newspaper every morning.

Good luck!

We have found Kidani to be no worse than others. Disney wifi is not a great system. Regardless of where we stay, we have found occasional issues of slow speeds and sometimes even not working. The most likely times of day that can happen are in the morning before everyone goes to the parks and in the evening after everyone returns, i.e., the times of day when use is heavy throughout the resort, and it sounds like you are making the attempt to use it at the times it might most likely be inadequate.

Want to get decent service? Get up at 3 in the morning and use it. If it is any consolation, the system now is much better than the first three years after Disney initially installed it, where Disney decided to go so cheap on the system that you could not use it at all in many of the rooms in a resort that were not right next to an access point. It is still going cheap but it is at least a lot better now than before.

My personal solution to the issue is to bring and use an iPad that has its own cellular hook-up.

Last edited:
We were at Kidani over Thanksgiving and thought the wi-fi was good. Of course, we were using phones and Ipads and just surfing the net. The only thing I thought was different, my Ipad didn't always remember the network so I had to select Disney guest some of the time.

Jambo WiFi was godawful over Thanksgiving. Thankfully Disney is in the process of rolling out major upgrades to WiFi at all the resorts. At resorts where it has been completed, like POFQ, speeds are over 50mbps.

In the meantime, you can pick up a travel wifi router for around $25 (see link below). It plugs into the ethernet port in the hotel room and creates its own hotspot.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...&qid=1544627610&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+wifi

We are at Kidani right now and we have had WIFI problems is between 7:00 and 9:00 am. The WiFI seems to slow to a crawl. Also the system seems to drop us from time to time and we need to reconnect. It has gotten better this week than last week. But I would hate to do some work on it in the mornings.

Hi! We will be at Jambo in the beginning of February and my husband is always working. Does anyone know if they still provide an ethernet cable or should I bring one of our own if we do bring a personal wifi router? Is there even still a jack for it? Thanks

Hi! We will be at Jambo in the beginning of February and my husband is always working. Does anyone know if they still provide an ethernet cable or should I bring one of our own if we do bring a personal wifi router? Is there even still a jack for it? Thanks
We are in a 2 bedroom dedicated and the only Ethernet port is in the master bedroom. No cable is provided.

Jambo WiFi was godawful over Thanksgiving. Thankfully Disney is in the process of rolling out major upgrades to WiFi at all the resorts. At resorts where it has been completed, like POFQ, speeds are over 50mbps.

In the meantime, you can pick up a travel wifi router for around $25 (see link below). It plugs into the ethernet port in the hotel room and creates its own hotspot.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...&qid=1544627610&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+wifi
This is a great idea! Also cheaper than upping my cellular data to unlimited. Thank you.

We have found Kidani to be no worse than others. Disney wifi is not a great system. Regardless of where we stay, we have found occasional issues of slow speeds and sometimes even not working. The most likely times of day that can happen are in the morning before everyone goes to the parks and in the evening after everyone returns, i.e., the times of day when use is heavy throughout the resort, and it sounds like you are making the attempt to use it at the times it might most likely be inadequate.

Want to get decent service? Get up at 3 in the morning and use it. If it is any consolation, the system now is much better than the first three years after Disney initially installed it, where Disney decided to go so cheap on the system that you could not use it all in many of the rooms in a resort that were not right next to an access point. It is still going cheap but it is at least a lot better now than before.

My personal solution to the issue is to bring and use an iPad that has its own cellular hook-up.

In the past I have turned the wifi off on my phone in the park because it wasn't good but never had issues at the resort. This trip seems to be the reverse for me.

We are at Kidani right now and we have had WIFI problems is between 7:00 and 9:00 am. The WiFI seems to slow to a crawl. Also the system seems to drop us from time to time and we need to reconnect. It has gotten better this week than last week. But I would hate to do some work on it in the mornings.
It's 11:30 now and seems to be working great! So far I have only been using at night and morning and that clearly isn't working. Luckily today we aren't going to the parks until the afternoon.

Thank you!! I didn't think that there was a cable.

I am not sure what you intend to do. Before setting up the WiFi system, Disney had Ethernet hook-ups in the room to provide wired internet. Once it installed WiFi, it completely eliminated internet via the Ethernet hook-up in the room. The Ethernet hook-ups are still there but they do not themselves provide any hook up to the internet.

The above equally applies to the suggestion above about bringing a portable WiFi router. I assume it needs to hook-up to a wired internet system. There is no internet hook-up system in the room except that provided wirelessly via Disney's WiFi system. You do not need to create wireless hotspots because the whole room has wireless internet. The issue is simply that Disney's wifi is not always that good and unless you have phone, tablet, or other device that has cellular connection to AT&T, Verizon, or other cellular internet provider, you are stuck with the Disney WiFi system for access to the internet.

Last edited:
My husband and I each have had to work at pretty much every WDW resort and it is hit or miss everywhere, I was very glad when I heard about the upgrades.

The wired internet was discontinued when they sent to wifi. It's either the wifi or your own cellular internet connection.

Unfortunately I have to work on vacation (during our off days and in the evenings/mornings before parks). We are currently at Kidani and the wifi is so terrible I cannot even work at times since web pages won't load. I have never had this issue before. Is it just a Kidani thing or does this just happen sometimes? I really wish there were a pay option for better internet because my phone hotspot won't work with my laptop for some reason. I have two trips planned next year (BLT and GF) and I have to figure something else out if this might happen there too. Any suggestions?

Did you call maintenance and report the issue? Routers do go down, need resetting etc.

I actually wrote to the GM last stay (January 2018). They’re aware of the issues and will be using a new provider next time. I would’ve thought that would’ve been completed by now but I wasn’t given a timeline. I’m assuming they had a contract for whoever installed it. Jambo was bad in the rooms and all around the resort.

On the flip side, VGF opened awhile ago and the Wi-Fi there is still decent. Not quite as speedy as it once was likely due to demand, but fine. AT&T was fine luckily-I believe they have a distributed antenna system on site, Verizon wireless may as well.

We were there over Thanksgiving and the wifi was okay. Just a vent, but I have issues with people who talk about and ask about using streaming devices on the TVs with no regard as to the impact on the wifi for the resort. The wifi is not set up to handle streaming of Netflix and other services without impacting those of us that are using it for what it was intended for, our computers for email and web surfing. Good luck

We were there over Thanksgiving and the wifi was okay. Just a vent, but I have issues with people who talk about and ask about using streaming devices on the TVs with no regard as to the impact on the wifi for the resort. The wifi is not set up to handle streaming of Netflix and other services without impacting those of us that are using it for what it was intended for, our computers for email and web surfing. Good luck

Honestly, in this day and age streaming is a given. Disney has always been behind in internet. One would think they are struggling for funding with how behind they are. But, captive audience who is willing to put up with more for the location and conveniences of that. I wouldn't blame the guests. There's a pretty big fail on the internet pipe by Disney, who also happens to be one of the biggest, or maybe the biggest single provider of video entertainment.

Honestly, in this day and age streaming is a given. Disney has always been behind in internet. One would think they are struggling for funding with how behind they are. But, captive audience who is willing to put up with more for the location and conveniences of that. I wouldn't blame the guests. There's a pretty big fail on the internet pipe by Disney, who also happens to be one of the biggest, or maybe the biggest single provider of video entertainment.

My daughter is a college freshman - and colleges have had to adjust to "all streaming all the time" in dorm rooms, with the understanding that while half the dorms is having a Game of Thrones Bingefest, the other half needs the internet to do research and write papers - and have done so successfully. All via wireless because most of this generation would get confused with the idea of an ethernet jack. That Disney hasn't managed it is really incompetence. Yes, its a heck of a bandwidth bill, but Disney hotel rooms aren't cheap - and for us they just pass it through on our dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!