• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it ok to decorate a pool cabana?

UnderneathAMagicMoon

Mouseketeer
This is kind of a random question... does anyone know if it is ok to decorate a cabana at a Disney resort? We will be celebrating two birthdays while there and doing a room party for one, so I was trying to think of a unique way to celebrate the other. I thought that doing a "pool party" for the group of kids traveling with us would be fun, with snacks and decorations in a cabana. I'm assuming that something simple like taping some streamers and decorations to the cabana wouldn't be a big deal?

I was thinking of calling Disney directly but I don't want to be on hold for 45 minutes and honestly I'm not sure if the person I speak to will know for sure (with so many new cast members it seems that sometimes you get a different answer with every person you ask). Has anyone seen a decorated cabana while at the pools? The only thing that worries me is that I know sometimes venues put restrictions on using tape because it can leave a mark, but as the cabana poles are presumably metal and not painted I don't think that would apply?

I’ve seen people hang a birthday sign, balloons, and similar. Can’t say it’s all that common, but I’ve seen it a few times. My opinion is that as long as you’re mindful of anything that could leave marks/a residue like you mention and whatever you do isn’t overly distracting to others (most of the Disney’s resort cabanas are pretty close to each other), then it seems fine to me.

I wouldn’t bother calling and asking, I agree the chances of getting a made up answer are probably pretty high.

Just curious, which resort/cabana are you planning to book?

Hope that helps - have fun!

I’ve seen people hang a birthday sign, balloons, and similar. Can’t say it’s all that common, but I’ve seen it a few times. My opinion is that as long as you’re mindful of anything that could leave marks/a residue like you mention and whatever you do isn’t overly distracting to others (most of the Disney’s resort cabanas are pretty close to each other), then it seems fine to me.

I wouldn’t bother calling and asking, I agree the chances of getting a made up answer are probably pretty high.

Just curious, which resort/cabana are you planning to book?

Hope that helps - have fun!
Thank you, that is really helpful!

I'm hoping to get a cabana at the Contemporary, although we aren't going until the fall, so it depends on whether or not they are full when my 60 day reservation window opens.

Last edited:

Not sure what the limit is on the number of people per cabana, or how many kids will be travelling with you, but keep capacity in mind when making plans.

The official Disney website doesn't seem to say:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/cabanas-overview/

This website says 6 people max at Yacht Club/Beach Club cabanas:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...eview-at-disneys-beach-and-yacht-club-resort/
I didn't think about the number of people. We will have 12 but mostly just need a good place to park cakes, snacks, and decorations - people will be in the pool for the most part.

The second link says that cabanas "can accommodate up to six people" but doesn't say it's limited to 6 people. So I'm not sure if they mean over 6 and you won't have a place to lounge but go for it if you want, or over 6 is not allowed.

Looking at some other forums I think it may be a firm limit of 6 (with a little wiggle room but not up to 12 people).

I've also seen people reference the "60+10" rule for reservations - can someone clue me in to what that is? Why would there be an extra 10 in there?

Looking at some other forums I think it may be a firm limit of 6 (with a little wiggle room but not up to 12 people).

I've also seen people reference the "60+10" rule for reservations - can someone clue me in to what that is? Why would there be an extra 10 in there?

60+10 means cabanas are bookable 60 days from your check in date plus length of stay, up to 10 days. Similar to dining reservations. So if you want to book your cabana for day 3 of your vacation, it’s bookable 60 days from your check in date.

Don’t quote me on the capacity of the CR cabanas - there’s definitely a limit. I’ve heard about being able to add on in some cases, although that may need to be done that day and I’m skeptical you could add that many. You may get some inconsistent info from phone CMs on this one, so just be prepared.

With 12, you may want to think about renting 2 if an option for you.

60+10 means cabanas are bookable 60 days from your check in date plus length of stay, up to 10 days. Similar to dining reservations. So if you want to book your cabana for day 3 of your vacation, it’s bookable 60 days from your check in date.

Don’t quote me on the capacity of the CR cabanas - there’s definitely a limit. I’ve heard about being able to add on in some cases, although that may need to be done that day and I’m skeptical you could add that many. You may get some inconsistent info from phone CMs on this one, so just be prepared.

With 12, you may want to think about renting 2 if an option for you.
Ok thank you! I couldn't figure out why it would be "10" since everyone has a different length of stay but it makes sense if it means "10 max".

I agree two cabanas sounds like the way to go - I may have to mull that one over as that starts to get a bit complicated and expensive for what is essentially a cake and snacks area for this group. Thinking of having Publix deliver some stuff and then doing some serious scouting for a poolside table instead.

Ok thank you! I couldn't figure out why it would be "10" since everyone has a different length of stay but it makes sense if it means "10 max".

I agree two cabanas sounds like the way to go - I may have to mull that one over as that starts to get a bit complicated and expensive for what is essentially a cake and snacks area for this group. Thinking of having Publix deliver some stuff and then doing some serious scouting for a poolside table instead.
I think that if all you want is a "home base" for the cake and snacks, a poolside table is a better (and more affordable) option. The cabanas are designed for relaxing poolside and really don't have a table for dining. There are a couple of small tables which are about the same height as the lounge chairs.

As an alternative, there is a BBQ pavilion at BLT which has a covered picnic table area. This might be better suited to your crowd when it comes time to serve cake. If you're staying at BLT, you might want to consider it.

I think that if all you want is a "home base" for the cake and snacks, a poolside table is a better (and more affordable) option. The cabanas are designed for relaxing poolside and really don't have a table for dining. There are a couple of small tables which are about the same height as the lounge chairs.

As an alternative, there is a BBQ pavilion at BLT which has a covered picnic table area. This might be better suited to your crowd when it comes time to serve cake. If you're staying at BLT, you might want to consider it.
Thank you! Not at BLT this time unfortunately, but I'm hopeful we can make a table work if need be. I'm still kind of enamored with the cabana idea but with needing two it might not make sense for our group.

I'm at the grand floridian in August, I've got a party of 8 staying in different WDW resorts, if I booked a cabana can they come use the cabana if there is only one GF guest in the group?

I'm at the grand floridian in August, I've got a party of 8 staying in different WDW resorts, if I booked a cabana can they come use the cabana if there is only one GF guest in the group?

GF allows non-GF guests to book/use their cabanas. Not sure what the guest limit is though, it may be 6? Or it may be one of those situations you need to pay an extra fee, not entirely sure on that part.

I would think they have a limit on the cabana capacity to avoid it turning into some kind of 'party central' hangout.........say, for example, a large group of college students on Spring Break. Even with a large group of other people, things could easily get out of hand.

I agree with a prior poster who said a few balloons or banners would probably not be an issue. If you are thinking of something much more elaborate, do you want to spend/waste the time making multiple trips back to your room to bring everything and then how long would it take to setup/take-down? Cabanas I have seen are more setup to allow for relaxing in the shade with a relatively small amount of seating.

The table option seems like it is a more workable solution and not nearly as much to deal with.

GF allows non-GF guests to book/use their cabanas. Not sure what the guest limit is though, it may be 6? Or it may be one of those situations you need to pay an extra fee, not entirely sure on that part.
You are correct, it is 6 people per cabana. We were told at GF over 6 people we would have to rent a 2nd cabana.

Yep, it actually says it twice now.

“Cabanas are available for full day rentals. Cabanas at Disney's Contemporary Resortand Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa—as well as those shared by Disney’s Beach Club Resort and Disney’s Yacht Club Resort—are available to Guests of those Resorts only.”

Know Before You Go​

Learn about renting cabanas, amenities and other important information.
  • Advance reservations are highly recommended as cabanas book quickly.
  • Availability of amenities may change without notice. Check with the Resort hotel at time of booking to confirm what will be provided.
  • Cabanas at Disney's Contemporary Resort and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa can only be booked by Guests of each Resort hotel.
  • Cabanas shared by Disney’s Beach Club Resort and Disney’s Yacht Club Resort can only be booked by Guests of either Resort hotel.
  • A MagicBand or Key to the World Card is required at Resort hotel cabana check-in.
  • One Guest in the party must be at least 18 years old.
  • Guests who need to cancel cabana reservations must provide 24-hour notice. The full price of your reservation will be charged in the event of no-shows or same-day cancellations.
  • Rentals may be cancelled by the Resort hotel due to inclement weather. Guests will not be charged in this case.

Yep, it actually says it twice now.

“Cabanas are available for full day rentals. Cabanas at Disney's Contemporary Resortand Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa—as well as those shared by Disney’s Beach Club Resort and Disney’s Yacht Club Resort—are available to Guests of those Resorts only.”

Know Before You Go​

Learn about renting cabanas, amenities and other important information.
  • Advance reservations are highly recommended as cabanas book quickly.
  • Availability of amenities may change without notice. Check with the Resort hotel at time of booking to confirm what will be provided.
  • Cabanas at Disney's Contemporary Resort and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa can only be booked by Guests of each Resort hotel.
  • Cabanas shared by Disney’s Beach Club Resort and Disney’s Yacht Club Resort can only be booked by Guests of either Resort hotel.
  • A MagicBand or Key to the World Card is required at Resort hotel cabana check-in.
  • One Guest in the party must be at least 18 years old.
  • Guests who need to cancel cabana reservations must provide 24-hour notice. The full price of your reservation will be charged in the event of no-shows or same-day cancellations.
  • Rentals may be cancelled by the Resort hotel due to inclement weather. Guests will not be charged in this case.

Yeah, I wonder why they changed that. Not complaining though as I always thought it was a little unfair for actual paying resort guests and an odd policy in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter