Is it me? Driving around Disney is confusing!

I much prefer Google Maps to Waze, but I don't think Waze was your problem. Who is your cellphone carrier? No GPS is going to work if you lose cell signal.

Several other posters have offered good advice.
  • You MUST know where you are going, and where it is relative to other prominent places. If you're staying at an Epcot resort, you MUST know that or you will miss your exit. Same with MK and DS resorts -- KNOW where you are going, both specifically, and generally.
  • I'm like Ross Kratter above -- I'm a sign-reader! But you have to pay attention because your destination may only show on one sign out of 3-4 for the proper exit.
  • I do NOT like downloaded maps. They're fine if they are up-to-the-minute, but not many are and that can be a big problem. Also, not all roads on the map are open to the public. Quite a few are Disney-only.
Yea I believe it was my cell provider. I have T-Mobile. I was trying to get to outlet mall on the way to Universal. I should have made it more clear I left the bubble and first typed in wrong address in WAZE. When I drove by the outlet there was no next exit to turn back around. I wound up on some toll road before I could get mew address into WAZE. Once my phone was connected again I was good to go. But, with me driving by the place on the highway I would have thought next exit would have an option to go under freeway and head back.

When on property I don’t use gps etc. I follow the signs.

You MUST know where you are going, and where it is relative to other prominent places. If you're staying at an Epcot resort, you MUST know that or you will miss your exit. Same with MK and DS resorts -- KNOW where you are going, both specifically, and generally.

Yep. Where am I specifically? What general area am I in? Where am I going?

And then I just have to get my brain to ignore all the “Disney’s” before the park or hotel, and hone in on the useful part of the signs.

Good thing I had an AP, so entered and just turned around and exited.

I’ve messed up (the few times I’ve used GPS) and have ended up at a park like that. Just tell them what happened and they’ll let you through and tell you where to go to get out.

I have ONSTAR in my car and have gotten lost On property.
You really need to know if the Resort is considered a MK Resort, AK Resort, HS Resort, Epcot Resort or Disney Springs Resort location.
It is very easy to see the sign for a resort and end up in the Theme Park parking lots...
The worst is driving through Fort Wilderness at night thinking you want to check out those holiday decorations.... I’ll never do that again!

We wound up at the DHS entrance when trying to get to Pop last fall when using a Garmin and Google maps. We had Google as backup, since I know the roads around there have changed a lot recently and I'm not sure when the Garmin was last updated. The attendant directed us to the exit, they didn't ask for magic bands or anything.

I had an uber driver get lost taking us from Coronado to AK during a trip. He had to pull into an off resort grounds hotel for directions. I am so glad we gave ourselves plenty of time for our dining reservations. I would've been pretty angry if we missed them and got charged.

I had an uber driver get lost taking us from Coronado to AK during a trip. He had to pull into an off resort grounds hotel for directions. I am so glad we gave ourselves plenty of time for our dining reservations. I would've been pretty angry if we missed them and got charged.
That stinks, especially given how close Coronado is to AK! You shouldn’t have had to leave property to get there!

I live near enuf to be a bit more frequent visitor than many and I find the place confusing as hell even tho been going since 1978!!!

To me there's TOO MANY signs ... it get confusing and I need someone else to read 'em so I don't get distracted ..... and I can't remember the last time I was there where there wasn't road construction making most maps 'not current'

or I'm just getting old ..... when we go now (Mrs routinely had multi-day conferences at the resorts pre COVID) we'd park the car and try not to move it until departure time . . .

We had a DME driver once who couldn't find Coronado. He actually drove past it at least once, gave up and moved on to the All Stars, then went back to Coronado. That was a frustrating late night arrival (we were staying at CSR).

That stinks, especially given how close Coronado is to AK! You shouldn’t have had to leave property to get there!
99% of the time we rent a car. Was shocked I didn’t manage to get ‘lost’ last trip at least once. Lost = taking wrong exit, being in wrong turning lane. It’s really easy enough to course correct, well unless you wind up on I-4

We used uber coming back to AKV after one of the events that featured alcohol paired with food.

The uber driver turned onto western way. he tried to insist it was a short cut. Ha, don’t need a translator to know a long-haul attempt when i see one. He quickly course corrected after I called him out on it.

Lots of satellite maps available of WDW. All the planning people tend to do, well worth it to take a glance at the new road modifications in place.

Generally I find WDW signage very clear; the one exception is some of the turns off of Epcot Center Drive, where the sign says "next right" but there is no signage/lighting on the exit itself, and the slope of the ground causes you not to see the ramp before it is too late to turn onto it.

I long ago realized that the best way to navigate WDW is to memorize the most important street names and what facilities and parks each leads to. AllEarsNet has a pdf of the full property map available: download it ahead of time, read it, learn it, don't get lost. https://allears.net/tp/wdwpropertymap.pdf

Generally I find WDW signage very clear; the one exception is some of the turns off of Epcot Center Drive, where the sign says "next right" but there is no signage/lighting on the exit itself, and the slope of the ground causes you not to see the ramp before it is too late to turn onto it.

I long ago realized that the best way to navigate WDW is to memorize the most important street names and what facilities and parks each leads to. AllEarsNet has a pdf of the full property map available: download it ahead of time, read it, learn it, don't get lost. https://allears.net/tp/wdwpropertymap.pdf
This map is pretty out of date. For example, the entrance route into DHS has completely changed, the WDW Speedway no longer exists, and the Four Seasons isn’t on it.

Granted. I did realize after I posted it that that map is somewhat out of date, but the major roads are still the major roads. However, some kind soul has done a updated Google map with the major locations on it:
www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=28.36930649453536%2C-81.52314270502835&spn=0.105733%2C0.238266&z=13&source=embed&mid=1YtMbwgc2lPV-_uKHBgdjDv6yiDY

(Not as easy to read as a graphic map, but again, the point is to get a feel for what the names of the main roads are and how the main roads intersect.) The updated graphic map is actually on the MDE app, right when you open it, before you zoom into a particular park.

No I've never found it confusing. They have good road signage and with all the mapping apps it's pretty impossible to get lost. I've found that it also helps looking at maps of an area on the computer before traveling there to familiarize myself with where things are in relation to one another. After 10 trips to Disney I still do this, especially if we're going to be visiting a new resort for dinner or something like that.

We use GPS. We lived in Orlando and visit at least twice a year but geesh WDW has changed a lot.

For what it's worth, the community that maintains the Waze map around Florida is very good especially with maintaining and protecting the map at WDW

We used google maps the last 2 trips and it made getting around much easier.
The signage has gotten better as have many of the roads.

I quickly learned that, coming down I-4 for example from Universal, take the Epcot exit to go to Magic Kingdom. Then right onto Epcot Center Drive and after a mile down there is a little bear left and then the familiar MK signs come into view.

The official MK exit was to go further down I-4 on to 192 West and then you see the huge Disney World sign from the pre-Epcot days.

Going the other way, from the middle of WDW back to I-4, on Epcot Center Driver it is also designed for Epcot only. I had no problem asking the Epcot entrance attendant for help getting back to I-4, then thanked him and drove on.

"The first Disney exit from southbound I-4 --- Route 535, takes you to Hotel Plaza Blvd. and a variety of nice off site restaurants.
"The second Disney exit" -- The Epcot exit, also good for Disney Springs
"The third Disney exit" -- Osceola Parkway, best way to Animal Kingdom.
"The fourth Disney exit" -- 192, mentioned above.

Never had an issue myself, just follow the signs. Now, if you drive like my step mother did "Sign? I didn't see any signs" you'll have an issue. (Course she would NEVER pass a semi truck on any highway because "It might fall over on me".)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter