Is it just me....

Just thought I would chime in here. As a family of five, we have priced out vacations here in Canada, the U.S., and (pipe dream) Europe, for at least a weeks stay.

For now, a Disney vacation staying onsite is CHEAPER then any of the others. And May will be our 3rd deluxe trip. Disney can be done affordably if one takes the time to wait for discounts, and cheaper airfare. It is not more expensive then anywhere else, IMHO.

I absolutely agree! We have priced out many different vacations and find that we get the most bang for our buck at Disney...and we go every year, and have stayed deluxe the past few years.

We even stayed at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods in CT for a couple of nights and it was almost $400/night....and it's certainly not at Disney!!!!:scared1:
I'm paying far less than that in a CL room at Disney with a good discount, so it's all in getting the good deal.

Again, no one is forced to go to Disney, so if you don't like the prices, don't go. It's pretty simple. I think the price of a Ferrarri is alot, so I don't buy one. Same thing.

While I do agree Disney keeps getting more expensive with each year, I also agree with others that going to Disney is still cheaper than most other vacation destinations. I have done my share of comparing different vacation spots to Disney and most seem to come out more expensive than Disney. We will continue to go and pay those prices as it's a place we love to visit, so I guess we are in the group of those that are contributing to the price increases. But, people need to remember that Disney is a business and is there to make money, not give things away. As a pp said, Disney is a splurge, not a right, just like any other vacation, sports car, etc. If someone doesn't like the prices, he/she doesn't have to go. With that said, there are ways to cut costs by looking out for discounts, go during slower times, etc.....but there are ways to cut costs and still have a great Disney vacation. We only stay deluxe and now that our two DSs are 18 & 20, our resort cost is going to be $50/night extra due to the extra adult fee. Will I like paying that? No. But I will because of where we like to stay and because it's my choice. There are other resorts that would be cheaper, but not what we want, so it's all in choices and Disney isn't making me pay those extra fees because I don't have to stay at that level resort....I just choose to. Disney just sets the prices and if people will pay them, they will keep charging them as well as increase them, just like any other business.

My first question when I read posts of people complaining about Disney price increases and being 'priced out' is how often are you wanting to do? I think if you can afford to go to Disney every year and want to go, then go!! If you can't afford it, don't complain, just save and go when you can!! We make a decent living and can't afford to go every year, but I don't feel like we are in any way priced out of Disney. We went to the beach for a week last year, and the room alone was more than a night at POR for the 5 of us, we had to buy food which was expensive, and we just layed on the beach. For not a whole lot more money we could have gone to Disney. EVERY business is increasing prices, not just Disney. I'm sure their food prices have increased just like ours buying at the grocery store has increased. If you don't like the prices, don't go and leave more rooms available for us that are willing to pay and not complain!

The prices are set based on attendance, I mean its busy and prices are high lines are long and pools are crowded. Now lower the prices and just imagine the amount of people. It's not just done for the money aspect it's also done to control crowds. I for one don't mine paying a little more to stay there for the entire experience, pool, food, buses, parks. Its all an experience. We budget our year to afford at least 2 trips a year. We sacrifice other things to pay those prices. It's expensive for a reason think where else can you have a vacation like this.

I think what makes it so hard is knowing that just five years ago or ten years ago, you paid so much less for the same things. People who are new to WDW trip planning don't have those memories of less expensive vacations to fall back on.

The prices for rooms have gone up much higher than I would have thought in a very short time. Back in 2001, I was able to stay in a room at AKL for $140 a night. That's doubled. We stayed at Poly at less than $200 a night in 2001 as well. That has also pretty much doubled. It used to be that Disney usually added about $10-15 a night each year. That's no longer the case. And now with the weekend and holiday pricing, and with the changing season structure, it's even more complicated.

We've stayed at all levels of resorts over the years. I just can't seem to justify the Deluxe prices anymore and that's where we usually stayed when the whole family unit went. Last family trip we stayed at CSR. I've also done what I thought was unthinkable and have stayed offsite twice in the past two years.

I think what makes it so hard is knowing that just five years ago or ten years ago, you paid so much less for the same things. People who are new to WDW trip planning don't have those memories of less expensive vacations to fall back on.

The prices for rooms have gone up much higher than I would have thought in a very short time. Back in 2001, I was able to stay in a room at AKL for $140 a night. That's doubled. We stayed at Poly at less than $200 a night in 2001 as well. That has also pretty much doubled. It used to be that Disney usually added about $10-15 a night each year. That's no longer the case. And now with the weekend and holiday pricing, and with the changing season structure, it's even more complicated.

We've stayed at all levels of resorts over the years. I just can't seem to justify the Deluxe prices anymore and that's where we usually stayed when the whole family unit went. Last family trip we stayed at CSR. I've also done what I thought was unthinkable and have stayed offsite twice in the past two years.

But, isn't that true of everything? Costs go up...for everything...always have and always will.

I have been planning and paying for my own Disney vacations for 13 years now, and yes, our earlier trips were alot cheaper...and we were making ALOT less money too! I feel like our salary increases over the years have matched or even outpaced the rise of Disney prices, but maybe that's just me.

I remember paying alot less for Disney vacations, but rising prices are always a sign of the times.

I get what you are saying. I do! However, I cannot think of anything that has gone up in price at a rate slower than my paycheck increase. Everything costs more. I can't single out Disney and blame them for it. At least a trip to WDW is not necessary to life, as are my groceries or the gas for my car.

We all have choices on how we spend our disposable income. I drive an older car so I can continue my yearly trips to WDW. I don't buy a ton of new clothes, or have expensive jewelry. The trips are how I choose to spend my money. But I don't think Disney owes it to me to be able to afford those trips. That is up to me.

Yep, everything has gone up and gas and groceries are big ones too. And they probably hurt the bottom line the most.
What I was trying to say was that the price increases are bigger in the last five years than they were in the prior five years. It used to be that you could pretty much count on a room costing about $10-15 more a night the next year. That's not the case anymore.

Mousemommy1 said:
But, isn't that true of everything? Costs go up...for everything...always have and always will.

I have been planning and paying for my own Disney vacations for 13 years now, and yes, our earlier trips were alot cheaper...and we were making ALOT less money too! I feel like our salary increases over the years have matched or even outpaced the rise of Disney prices, but maybe that's just me.

I remember paying alot less for Disney vacations, but rising prices are always a sign of the times.

Disney's price increases have generally outpaced all other price increases. Most prices have not increased by almost 50% in ten years (except gas.) A lot of people have not seen a real increase to their wages in years (especially when insurance costs are taken into consideration.) You ( the general you) can argue that you still consider WDW a good value, but they are definitely pushing the envelope to see what the market will bear. I am sure that they are hoping that My Magic+ will give people enough incentive to stay on site.

Yes. We can't afford it. So we stay off-site and really love it. Tons of space, beautiful resort, separate bedroom for the kids, washer & dryer. And we like the flexibility of having a car and not relying in the buses.

As an AP holder, I go to WDW 4-6 times a year. I love WDW but for the first time we stayed offsite this past Oct/Nov. I always swore I would never stay offsite. However, we loved it so much, we have decided all of our trips will be offsite from now on. I came straight back and booked a one bedroom villa at Bonnet Creek for my upcoming May trip. I normally stay at the moderates, but if I can get a one bedroom villa with a fully equipped kitchen cheaper than I could even a value room (much less my preferred moderate) why wouldn't I. Even with the discounts Disney is offering now, my current reservation for a one bedroom at Bonnet Creek is still cheaper. I think Disney has finally ran us to offsite. I prefer having a rental car to using Disney's crowded buses and have an AP, so don't have to pay for parking. We can get better, but cheaper meals right offsite. With Disney's increasing prices for room and meals, staying onsite has lost it's appeal. I don't agree with the poster who says his 2 y/o daughter is going to stay 2 y/o for the next two years. Cheating Disney is wrong and is not the answer. Those of us that think Disney prices are too high need to speak out by spending our resort dollars and meal dollars elsewhere. Maybe then Disney will lower their prices.

There are gradual price increases to cover costs and margins, and then there are substantial price increases intended to test the markets elasticity.

What I've seen over the last three years is the latter. Disney is most definitely testing the limits of perceived value by reducing or eliminating discounts and raising prices by double digit percentages.

Unfortunately, until it impacts demand, someone at corporate is getting slapped on the back for their ingeniousness:

"Dang, Fred! All this time we could have been charging THIS MUCH? !!!"

This year, I'm staying off site. I'll free up yet another space onsite for a Disney Apologist who's pleas for "Thank you, sir...May I pay even more?" will be happily accomodated.

Sorry, that makes no sense. I'd like to see what evidence you have..

I always wonder why, when you can see how something makes sense from a business standpoint, that makes you a Disney Apologist. No one likes to pay more for anything. It is just some of us can see how it makes sense from the other side of the paycheck. Doesn't mean we like it, just that we understand it.

Where has everyone stayed off site

We have stayed off site a few times. Always at the Staybridge Suites, LBV. It is right by Down Town Disney. We can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit with a full kitchen for around $200 a night. Usually less. And that includes a continental breakfast. They have a park shuttle too, but we have never used it.

Is it just me or is the pricing to stay on property getting crazy?? Even with 30% off to the general public is nuts!! Discounted price to stay at Animal Kingdom is over $300 a night, really and a moderate is nearly $200.00 a night! They are making it very hard for a family too take a vacation there. Any thoughts....:confused:

Whether prices are "nuts" is probably dependent on the person/family, but I can agree with you that they're trending that way. I can offer personally we've opted to curtail our trip this year because of the price increases.

We've been to Disney four times previously, and stayed at SSR the last three. We've enjoyed staying there tremendously, but when I booked the trip this time, the price for the 7-day stay we wanted was close to 30% higher than our last visit (give or take, haven't done the hard numbers). And that's with the 30% discount! (Caveat - we have a party of five including my mom, and that drives a need for a place like SSR rather than a Moderate like POR, or even a value like one of the All-Stars).

My wife and I thought long and hard about that kind of cash. We even considered (and priced) a really nice off-property location we've used that would have saved us about 60% each day. Mind you, I've always been one to tell people to stay on property. But, this time, I actually *had* to consider off-site.

After much consideration, contrasting the hassle of off-property versus the length and cost of our stay, we decided to shorten the visit from a 7-day to a 5-day. Although we hated the idea of the shorter stay, we hated the idea of staying off property even more. I hated to shorten our trip, but pricing made it a practical necessity in our case. And its not like we've gone cheapskate - we're still dropping a huge wad of cash in Mickey's pocket...

We've been to Disney four times previously, and stayed at SSR the last three. We've enjoyed staying there tremendously, but when I booked the trip this time, the price for the 7-day stay we wanted was close to 30% higher than our last visit (give or take, haven't done the hard numbers). And that's with the 30% discount! (Caveat - we have a party of five including my mom, and that drives a need for a place like SSR rather than a Moderate like POR, or even a value like one of the All-Stars).

I'm not sure if it would appeal to you, but you could get a Family Suite at ASMU for much less than even a studio at SSR. Many of my trips to WDW are as part of a family of 6, so I know once you get over the standard 4 people, finding cheapish accommodations becomes even harder than usual.

I'm sorry. What part did you not understand?

In regards to evidence, simply Google "Disney Profitability". You'll see plenty of results.

For instance (and certainly not indicative of all of them):

"...per-room spending rose 6 percent on higher rates and fewer discounted room nights. Disney Co. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo called the results "further evidence" that the company's efforts to wean travelers off of promotions "continues to pay off."

And that is over a year old, before the most recent double-digit increases in some rack rates and re-alignment of pricing seasons.

It's called "testing the market". Kind of like squeezing a pig until it screams.

So far, nobody is screaming loud enough.

Gotta hand it to Disney, though. Whether you agree with it or not, the type of brand loyalty they instill in some of their customers (admirers?) is amazing.

I just saw on another site that they took away the no expiration option on the tickets yesterday. If true isn't this another attempt to squeeze every penny out of their guest. My plan for next visit was to buy 10 day no expiration tickets so I could have 2 future visits at today's prices. They are probably planning on breaking the 100 dollar mark in the next few months and want to take away the ability to save a few dollars for the future by eliminating it now. As far as cedar point being expensive the entire industry follows disneys lead when disney raises prices they all do shortly after, not because they need to but because disney sets what they can get away with

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter