Is Disney really hurting that bad financially?

I dont think they see Universal as a threat.
I think that is the bottom line, right or wrong.

I like the idea of a healthy and growing park nearby, it should make everyone a little better.

But Disney just sees it as a much smaller resort that's getting a little bigger. To make a (possibly bad) comparison, would a 100k sqft Home Depot really be worried about a 10k sqft mom and pop hardware store that's growing to 15k? They probably would not care in the least and would not change the way they run their business.

I'll share my reply from another post to express my opinion:

As someone who just got back from several days at Universal and IOA, I can see why they don't see them as a threat.
In USO, there is ONE coaster running. Their other coaster, The Mummy was closed and has been closed all summer but it's not even a new ride. The other 'rides' they have that are 'newer' - and I'm saying that to differentiate from ET (which looks SO rough, needs an overhaul) - have the exact same ride mechanics and aren't really rides but motion simulators.

Motion Simulator rides:
- Race Through New York
- Despicable Me
- Transformers
- Amazing adventures of Spider-man
- Simpsons ride
- Fast & Furious - a complete joke and can't believe they spent the money to make that attraction where all you see is screens and the bus jostles you a bit
- Kong: Skull Island - see Fast & Furious

In IOA of they have 5 thrill rides - Hulk, Velocicoaster, Flight of the Hippogriff, Hagrid's Magical Creatures and Doctor Doom's Freefall.
The saving grace for both parks has been the WWOHP. Both areas are great! I rode Forbidden Journey and Gringotts multiple times. I didn't ride Hagrid's but also a big draw for people. The Hogwarts express worked on our first day and was shut down for the rest of the week - no explanation and they didn't alert people so I read many unhappy people who had bought 1 day park to park tickets and found out the only thing that made them buy park to park tickets was closed. The guest service was on a completely lower level compared to the experiences I have had at WDW. The team members were not helpful and looked like they were annoyed to have to help us.

I really don't understand how people spend more than 2 days at USO/IOA. Disney blows them out of the water for attractions (merely in the sheer number of them), entertainment and food. Most of the food I had at USO was pretty bad. I'm not saying WDW has gourmet counter service but there is a lot of variety.

I'll share my reply from another post to express my opinion:

As someone who just got back from several days at Universal and IOA, I can see why they don't see them as a threat.
In USO, there is ONE coaster running. Their other coaster, The Mummy was closed and has been closed all summer but it's not even a new ride. The other 'rides' they have that are 'newer' - and I'm saying that to differentiate from ET (which looks SO rough, needs an overhaul) - have the exact same ride mechanics and aren't really rides but motion simulators.

Motion Simulator rides:
- Race Through New York
- Despicable Me
- Transformers
- Amazing adventures of Spider-man
- Simpsons ride
- Fast & Furious - a complete joke and can't believe they spent the money to make that attraction where all you see is screens and the bus jostles you a bit
- Kong: Skull Island - see Fast & Furious

In IOA of they have 5 thrill rides - Hulk, Velocicoaster, Flight of the Hippogriff, Hagrid's Magical Creatures and Doctor Doom's Freefall.
The saving grace for both parks has been the WWOHP. Both areas are great! I rode Forbidden Journey and Gringotts multiple times. I didn't ride Hagrid's but also a big draw for people. The Hogwarts express worked on our first day and was shut down for the rest of the week - no explanation and they didn't alert people so I read many unhappy people who had bought 1 day park to park tickets and found out the only thing that made them buy park to park tickets was closed. The guest service was on a completely lower level compared to the experiences I have had at WDW. The team members were not helpful and looked like they were annoyed to have to help us.

I really don't understand how people spend more than 2 days at USO/IOA. Disney blows them out of the water for attractions (merely in the sheer number of them), entertainment and food. Most of the food I had at USO was pretty bad. I'm not saying WDW has gourmet counter service but there is a lot of variety.
Universal and Disney have the same amount of rides. While the food in the parks isn't the greatest, City Walk has good places to eat. Cause it's just outside the parks it's easy to hop out grab a bit and head back in.

I can easily spend a week at Universal. It depends on the people that visit. Last time I went I rode Mummy 11 times Spiderman 10 times and when Dueling Dragons was there ride it 8 times. If you are into riding things multiple times then Universal is worth it.

Once Epic Universe opens it will make a big difference. Instead 2-3 days at Universal, with a new park it will make it a 5 day trip.

I do agree with Disney not worrying about it much. The big reason many Disney fans don't visit Universal.

Universal and Disney have the same amount of rides. While the food in the parks isn't the greatest, City Walk has good places to eat. Cause it's just outside the parks it's easy to hop out grab a bit and head back in.

I can easily spend a week at Universal. It depends on the people that visit. Last time I went I rode Mummy 11 times Spiderman 10 times and when Dueling Dragons was there ride it 8 times. If you are into riding things multiple times then Universal is worth it.

Once Epic Universe opens it will make a big difference. Instead 2-3 days at Universal, with a new park it will make it a 5 day trip.

I do agree with Disney not worrying about it much. The big reason many Disney fans don't visit Universal.
WDW definitely has more rides than Universal as well much more entertainment.

WDW definitely has more rides than Universal as well much more entertainment.
Maybe it's just me but I go to parks for rides not entertainment. I still say Disney doesn't have to worry about Universal as many Disney fans have no intention to visit Universal. I have said it before but the majority of Disney guests aren't ride people. You skipped out on 2 of the best coasters in Orlando.

Maybe it's just me but I go to parks for rides not entertainment. I still say Disney doesn't have to worry about Universal as many Disney fans have no intention to visit Universal. I have said it before but the majority of Disney guests aren't ride people. You skipped out on 2 of the best coasters in Orlando.
That helps explain the stark difference of opinions we see here on UO. You are there for the rides and only the rides, while others are there for the immersive experience, including entertainment and rides. Different strokes....

And I guess that helps explain why Disney considers it a different animal.

That helps explain the stark difference of opinions we see here on UO. You are there for the rides and only the rides, while others are there for the immersive experience, including entertainment and rides. Different strokes....

And I guess that helps explain why Disney considers it a different animal.
This video here is really interesting. The 'Pugh Two' are 2 YouTube people who only have gone to Universal. They have TONS of videos at Universal. They're like the Molly of Universal.

They moved to Orlando and are now branching out to other parks. This is their first trip to EPCOT. The guy, Tyler, is amazed at the immersive experience in the lands at EPCOT. He originally though they were just a few facades. (Fast Forward to 11:58, 16:35, 18:08, 19:06 and 21:32 to see his takes on this)

They do a great job at showing love for both Universal and Disney without putting either one down.

This video here is really interesting. The 'Pugh Two' are 2 YouTube people who only have gone to Universal. They have TONS of videos at Universal. They're like the Molly of Universal.

They moved to Orlando and are now branching out to other parks. This is their first trip to EPCOT. The guy, Tyler, is amazed at the immersive experience in the lands at EPCOT. He originally though they were just a few facades. (Fast Forward to 11:58, 16:35, 18:08, 19:06 and 21:32 to see his takes on this)

They do a great job at showing love for both Universal and Disney without putting either one down.

I wish fans here would be like that. I know I put down Disney a lot but a lot of Disney fans do the same for Universal.

Avatar was a response to Harry Potter. They have been adding new things. Now Comcast views the parks differently. They want to put more into them.
In that case, I think it was because Disney was ticked off that they could not come to terms to get HP for WDW especially after they saw what a good job they did with it. But that too has worked out OK for Disney becuase they now have full rights to Avatar thru the Fox purchase.

I love watching the Pugh Two! I'm looking forward to seeing them experience more first at WDW.

Last edited:
When you look at the general picture Disney is well known as a company that brings in two things success and money and while people consider Disney to be one of the most profitable film studios they always have had an obsession with trying to attract people who watch their movies and TV shows. Besides movies and TV shows Disney focuses on the second part of their successes which is the vacation industry. And since Disneyland was opened in 1955 and Walt Disney World in 1972 Disney knows how successful these parks get. But I think is causing them the hurt is the fact that they build new attractions and resorts but when they open they're not what people thought it was expected to be. Take for example when the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser opened in March despite promises of being successful from the commercials aired many times is somewhat of a disappointment and I can't see anybody willing to pay the high prices for it and you don't see NO commercials for it at all on TV. Disneyland is successful by debuting Avengers Campus in Disney's California Adventure and when it opened last year Disneyland attendance grew bigger but I think Avengers Campus is mainly there to promote Marvel and with two successful rides and Marvel Meet And Greets with Marvel characters and shows Disneyland couldn't have done it any better. And at Disney Cruise Line they have had a successful year with the debut of the newest ship Disney Wish and have added more cruises and activities such as Marvel Day and Pixar Day at sea and because of the Disney Wish I think Disney Cruise Line will become number one next to Carnival and Royal Caribbean in cruise lines. And let's not forget Disney+ with the successes of original series and movies because ever since they debuted all new shows and movies such as Cars On The Road Thor Love And Thunder She-Hulk Attorney At Law and countless new favorites I believe that these new things will make Disney have a miracle year next year. So I don't think it's the end of Disney it's simply gonna be a new beginning for them

I don't think Disney is targeting a competitive big move for 2025 in Orlando. I think they will let Universal go that year. I see the new Blue Sky ideas (particularly the MK one) coming in 2026 or 2027 so those additions will be the new big thing.

How do you define “ride people,” and what can you point to to support the notion “the majority of Disney guests aren’t ride people”?

How do you define “ride people,” and what can you point to to support the notion “the majority of Disney guests aren’t ride people”?

I'd probably use the term "coaster people" as in fans of the big, mega-coaster types of rides. Certianly there is some crossover, but I think "Disney people" have more affinity for the theming rather than the intensity of the ride - but certainly they like rides in general - that's where all the theming is!

Like BrianL said it means most Disney guests aren't much into intense rides and more into theming. My guess is few Disney guests visit their local park much.

Like BrianL said it means most Disney guests aren't much into intense rides and more into theming. My guess is few Disney guests visit their local park much.
You may be right. Or you may be wrong. Without data you are guessing.

I think there's enough pie for all the parks. Infrastructure is expanding and updating constantly to support larger crowds in Orlando.
Coaster people go to SW & BG, all of Disney and OU together don't come close to the lineup they have.
Disney and UO have a wider variety of full family experiences, immersive rides and shows as well as better dining.
We've rotated around APs since were were married in '94 and I've been going since I was kid and wasn't tall enough for Space Mountain when it was new. All the parks have areas they excel in and areas they are deficient in.

Disney is doing PLENTY. There are some things that got put off - for better or worse. I still think Spaceship earth needs an update (thank you COVID), and I really, really wish they had moved forward on the monorail deal. But they are building and expanding.

The thing is many on here do not see new rides as building. They won't be happy until Disney adds a fifth gate. It's black and white - either you are building a fifth gate in which case you are expanding, or you are not in which case you are standing still. However, Disney does not see a need for a fifth gate. They have plenty of room and ideas they can expand with the current parks. MK has undergone several - and they are adding in even more to MK. AK has so much more than can be done with it, and EPCOT is being redesigned from the ground up at great expense.

Any post that does not acknowledge the current work and claims Disney is standing still lacks credibility. Maybe you do not like what they are doing, but they ARE investing heavily in the parks. Just not in a fifth gate.

Any post that does not acknowledge the current work and claims Disney is standing still lacks credibility. Maybe you do not like what they are doing, but they ARE investing heavily in the parks. Just not in a fifth gate.
Exactly.

Universal has nothing new for the next 3 years, then all at once they open a new park. So, yes, in 2025 - that one year - Universal will introduce more than Disney. But if you count what Universal and Disney introduce in 2020-2025 or 2015-2025, still advantage, Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter