• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is BWV Bus Transportation Really That Bad?

diznyfanatic said:
I had to chuckle at Rink's BWV report but it really got me wondering. Several times while we were waiting for our OKW bus last week we noticed that the BWV buses had just about every WDW stop displayed it seemed. BWI, BC, YC, S&D, Blizzard Beach (or was it Typhoon Lagoon?). The lines and buses appeared to be filled to overflowing.
Remember, the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan, Dolphin and Boardwalk are all essentially one location. Most people just get off at the first stop, but they do make multiple stops.

Coming from the Magic Kingdom, I've found the buses to the Boardwalk to be frequent and uncrowded.

I enjoyed Rinkwide's post, though.

jade1 said:
When we stay at BWV two thirds of our week have no buses at all (EPCOT/MGM). We make 1 AM bus trip to AK and the bus to MK has always been last on straight to MK and we are the first off and walk from S&D. Occasionally we are EPCOT and the monorail over to MK for the evening so in our opinion BWV is by far the best for bus transportation, because it is mostly avoided.
Jade1 is right on the money when it comes to convenience.

The Boardwalk is within easy walking distance of EPCOT and MGM and the monorail, so the only time you ever need to take a bus is to get to a park is the Animal Kingdom. In the early mornings, when you want to get to the Magic Kingdom in a hurry, I find a taxi to the Polynesian is cheap and quick and lets me grab a cup of coffee and the monorail to the MK.

You know the old saying, "I'd walk a mile for a Camel." Well, I'd walk a mile to avoid a bus.

FWIW, during really peak times I think they have express buses. I personally wish they would have just one bus stop for all Boardwalk resorts, but I'm in the minority on this.

diznyfanatic said:
Looks like the best advice to reduce at least part of the journey is to get off at the Swan and walk to BWV.

:thumbsup2 yup, get off at the Swan

In Aug. the bus picked up at BW, then Swan, then Dolphin, the Yacht Club, then the Beach club, then AK or whatever park two days later.......

Coming back......Swan, Dol, Yacht, Beach, BW......
Definately you want to get off at Swan and walk 5 min!

Just got back last week from yet another terrific BWV stay. For the most part, we only shared buses with the S/D. But, there was that one time, when we stood waiting for 30 mins for a bus from DTD back to BW. We watched two buses come and go to YC/BC....stupid me said we'll wait for the BW bus, surely it's coming. And yes, it did...about 15 mins after the previous BC/YC bus left. Normally it wouldn't have mattered but my friend and I really wanted to spend an hour or so at WS for Food and Wine, and have the girls just head back to the room to work on their homework. So, we hop on the BW bus, but stop at the S/D first then head to YC. When we got to BC I told my group to hop off here...everyone got worried, and nervous. But, I'm sure that by the time we were going up that incline by the bridge to BW, the bus was just pulling up to BW!!! The girls headed off, over the bridge, my friend and I headed to France for some nice red wine!!!

Do I think BW has the worst bus service? No, not really. I just try to plan accordingly. Buses to DTD are horrible...have yet to have a good experience with one from BW. THe bus to the MK has been fine...not very long waits at all.

bobbiwoz....we were headed out to MNSSHP that same night, but a bit later on. Sure did get a lot of strange looks..me in my Malificent costume and the two girls as huge, tall Belle and Aurora!!! Hope you had a nice time too!!

I was wondering how often people going to MK just go to EPCOT (international gateway), walk through the park and take the monorail? That was my plan for our Christmas stay? Of course, my family doesn't mind walking, but it seems like that would be quicker than the multiple stop option.

tkd lisa said:
I was wondering how often people going to MK just go to EPCOT (international gateway), walk through the park and take the monorail? That was my plan for our Christmas stay? Of course, my family doesn't mind walking, but it seems like that would be quicker than the multiple stop option.

Does that require a switch at the TTC first?

tkd lisa said:

Its hard if you want to be at the park at opening (unless its an early entry morning at Epcot), and it is quite a hike from the BW to the monorail. We do it a lot coming back - our "normal" plan is to go to the MK (taking the bus or a cab) at opening, leaving about 1:00 or 2:00 and go back to the hotel for a swim, and go into Epcot for dinner. If this is the plan, we may swing through Epcot and pick up Fastpasses to use before or after dinner. It does take about an hour or more to do this.

tkd lisa said:

I don't know about quicker. I'm sure someone will mention how much more "magical" it is than a bus ride, but I don't see it as being any more efficient--particularly since you're on your feet the whole time rather than sitting at a bus stop or on a bus.

BW to IG: 10 min
IG to Ep front gate: 15 min
Wait time for monorail: ???
Ride time on monorail: 5 min
Wait time for MK express monorail: ???
Ride time on express monorail: 5 min

I don't see how you could make that trip in less than 45 minutes--probably more like an hour depending on wait times. Also depends on how quickly you're moving and whether you get sidetracked in Epcot. ;)

And, as Crisi said, it's completely impractical many early mornings and late nights. They won't let you cut through Epcot before 9am (8am EMH), nor will they let you return that way after Epcot's official closing time.

Another consideration on making the return trip is that you'll have to wait in the bag check and turnstile lines at Epcot's front gate. Not such a big deal leaving since the IG is rarely busy, but the front gate is a different story.

Since S/D are not officially WDW resorts, why don't they just share one bus and BWV/BCV/YC could share another? I don't quite understand why all four need to share.

Agree that the bus service is one of the worst aspects of staying at BWV. It's not enough to ruin a trip, but it is definitely annoying.

I don't think they have the worst service because those hotels have very good transport to EPCOT and MGM. So it balances out. Staying in that area does require more thought than other locations. Getting to MK seems to be especially hard and perhaps something they should think about. Coming back from anywhere is no problem if you are staying in BWV, however I wouldn't want to stay at BWI and exit the bus at the Swan.

CarnotaurDad said:
Since S/D are not officially WDW resorts, why don't they just share one bus and BWV/BCV/YC could share another? I don't quite understand why all four need to share.

Agree that the bus service is one of the worst aspects of staying at BWV. It's not enough to ruin a trip, but it is definitely annoying.

I am not very clear either why S/D doesn't have their own transportation, but I'm guessing that they have somehow contracted with Disney and pay Disney a fee to provide transportation for their guests. It might also be included in whatever lease agreements they have with Disney for the resort. Again, just speculation on my part.

Having said that however, I don't think it is fair to penalize guests staying onsite at Disney owned resorts and paying a premium to stay at a Deluxe to have to be inconvenienced with travel times which exceed an hour (as reported by some) due to having to make so many stops as well as some seemingly nonsensical routing (also reported by some).

I just really feel that this issue appears to be something Disney may need to address and maybe they have.

Not having been BWV DVC members very long, I don't feel I have enough information or the right to complain right now about the portion of our dues that are earmarked for transportation costs, but this thread has certainly inspired me to find out more.

I appreciate all the responses and information. :)

doubletrouble_vb said:
I don't think they have the worst service because those hotels have very good transport to EPCOT and MGM. So it balances out.

I have to say I think implying that the bad bus service is justified due to the close proximity to MGM and EP is a cop out. It's just a cost-based move on Disney's part. It would be justifiable if shared busses meant more frequent busses (i.e. a shared bus every 5 minutes instead of a dedicated bus every 15), but that just isn't the case. You don't see busses hit the BW/SW/Dol route any more frequently than you do stand-alone resorts like OKW or AKL.

It just totally amazes me to hear stories about YC and BC STILL being added on to those routes as well.

(BTW, didn't mean to single you out, doubletrouble_vb. Just using your post to get those comments off my chest since so many have said variations of the same thing.)

tjkraz said:
I have to say I think implying that the bad bus service is justified due to the close proximity to MGM and EP is a cop out. It's just a cost-based move on Disney's part. It would be justifiable if shared busses meant more frequent busses (i.e. a shared bus every 5 minutes instead of a dedicated bus every 15), but that just isn't the case. You don't see busses hit the BW/SW/Dol route any more frequently than you do stand-alone resorts like OKW or AKL.

It just totally amazes me to hear stories about YC and BC STILL being added on to those routes as well.

(BTW, didn't mean to single you out, doubletrouble_vb. Just using your post to get those comments off my chest since so many have said variations of the same thing.)

I don't think its a cop out - I think its looking at is as an "average time in transit" and saying that in the end your average time in transit isn't any worse.

We can walk to Epcot - even MGM - in the time it took us to wait for a bus at VWL - that isn't including the bus ride. So the average time in transit from room to park gate for us at BWV is pretty consistantly about 10 to Epcot, 20 to MGM - since we control all aspects of the transport its consistantly the same.

The AK, DTD, MK, etc. have much more variation due to the buses, but that variation exists for all the resorts that have buses. So if the buses run every twenty minutes (and run that consistantly) at the other resorts and BW is a little worse and they run every thirty minutes, I should have an average wait of 10 minutes for a bus at OKW (for example) and 15 at BWV. But I could wait 10 minutes for the bus at OKW to get to Epcot, where I completely take that wait time out of the equation at BWV. In the end, it becomes sort of a wash - for some of us its even an advantage - a lot of BW fans are Epcot lovers - they might go to the MK for a day during their trip, and go to AK once - but they may go into Epcot six or seven times in a week. If Epcot is "just another park" to you and you are MK fans - there isn't a big value in this and you are still hoping for that VCR so you can walk to the MK.

Of course, if you take the boat, you have the queuing issues all over again.

In Feb during Presidents week (a busy week) we rented a car so we decided to do the bus/car race to see who got there faster.

My DH left MK at 11:10pm and took the car home, my DD's and I took the bus- we beat him by 5 minutes. Wishes ended at 10:15 and you couldn't even move to leave so we stayed an extra hour and the crowds were gone by the time we left.

Going into the MK it took longer, as you need to park and then take the monorail.

We took the car to MGM which was very quick- Just across the street and the tram was fast- found that to be much faster than the boat. However, we now decided to get on/off at the Swan for the MGM boat trip. (You save 10 minutes)

During the week the bus only stopped at BW, S&D going to MK and it was pretty fast. BW was the 1st stop on the way and the 1st stop on the way back.

Going to the AK-- OMG !!! It went to the BW, S & D and BB then to AK- I think it took 45 minutes. Then on the way home it went to Swan 1st so we just hopped off there. We were in room 4001 so it was so much easier to walk to the Swan because we were right there. It actually took longer to get to the BW busstop.

Considering the BW is a deluxe, I thought that they would have better bus service too. I was really disappointed in that. They only have to service 2 parks with the buses, they should do much better. The real annoying thing is that the resorts all have their own entrances and it takes forever to go in and out of the separate resorts. If the S&D could share a stop then the bus would only have to stop twice --it would be so much better. The BWI & BWV share a stop. LIke I mentioned before, our room was near Jellyrolls so it was a hike to the bus stop. If the BWI& BWV can share a bus stop, why can't the S&D share one too?

This is the reason I dream of a CRV---!!!!

crisi said:
I don't think its a cop out - I think its looking at is as an "average time in transit" and saying that in the end your average time in transit isn't any worse.

Thats us too, although we are mobile and like walking so it could be different for some folks. But really, if there was a direct bus to EPCOT from BWV there is no way we would take it. Even a direct bus to MGM we would never walk all the way to the front of the resort and then wait 10, 15 20 minutes or whatever for a bus. If we dont walk to MGM we simply watch out the BW View balcony until the boat is coming and walk down and ride (again we like boat rides way better than buses so some folks may hate boat rides). As for the other 1/3 of our week-hey if complaining gets a direct bus to these-have at it.

Bottom line is if we want to get to the EPCOT gate at 5PM (or any time)-we can leave at 10 minutes to 5 guaranteed, the only other resort that can say that is BCV. If we want to get to MGM at 5PM (or any time)-we can walk at 4:45 guaranteed-same story. All the other resorts may very well wait longer to even board a bus. They may not-but there is no guarantee like BWV.

DVC Grammy said:
As you can see from all the responses, the answer is "yes", "no", or "maybe" :teeth: ! A lot depends on when in the year you are going, what time you want the bus, where you want to go and other variables. We just returned from a (mostly) BWV stay, and the bus service was mostly acceptable. Sometimes the buses were for only BW, S, and D; other times, the BC and YC were included. We generally got off at the Swan, either with the bus or the boat, and just walk over to the BW. It's a nice, short walk (and helped us burn off some of those WDW calories :rotfl2: !)

EXACTLY :cheer2:

jade1 said:
Thats us too, although we are mobile and like walking so it could be different for some folks. But really, if there was a direct bus to EPCOT from BWV there is no way we would take it. Even a direct bus to MGM we would never walk all the way to the front of the resort and then wait 10, 15 20 minutes or whatever for a bus. If we dont walk to MGM we simply watch out the BW View balcony until the boat is coming and walk down and ride (again we like boat rides way better than buses so some folks may hate boat rides). As for the other 1/3 of our week-hey if complaining gets a direct bus to these-have at it.

Bottom line is if we want to get to the EPCOT gate at 5PM (or any time)-we can leave at 10 minutes to 5 guaranteed, the only other resort that can say that is BCV. If we want to get to MGM at 5PM (or any time)-we can walk at 4:45 guaranteed-same story. All the other resorts may very well wait longer to even board a bus. They may not-but there is no guarantee like BWV.

Not gonna argue with any of that. But it does nothing to address the topic of the thread: "Is BWV Bus Transportation Really That Bad?"

I'm sure there are many BWV guests who don't spend 2/3 of their trip at just two theme parks. Magic Kingdom...Animal Kingdom...Downtown Disney...Typhoon Lagoon...Blizzard Beach...that's an awful lot of destinations you can't reach on foot.

goofy4tink said:
bobbiwoz....we were headed out to MNSSHP that same night, but a bit later on. Sure did get a lot of strange looks..me in my Malificent costume and the two girls as huge, tall Belle and Aurora!!! Hope you had a nice time too!!

I think it was a great night for a party (OK, it got rather chilly)!! Yes, we had a great time. I'm glad you did too, and I'm sorry we didn't get to say "hi!"
We left just before the second parade, which was probably why we got a seat on the bus, just before it pulled away. How did you fare after the party?
Bobbi :)

In general, the transportation (in terms of getting places in a timely fashion) is horrible at the Epcot Resorts. This includes getting to and from Epcot. The boats have a lot of character and are nice to ride, but they are not an efficient or timely means of transportation. For someone who has mobility issues (which I do not), the walk, even to Epcot, can be a challenge. The bus service at the resorts is, in general, horrible. We ride the buses at WDW every trip, and we have used the buses in the Epcot resort area extensively. In general, we have been extremely pleased with the bus transportation, but the bus transportation at the Epcot resorts has pretty much always been bad on each trip we have taken. One glaring example from our last trip. Boarded the bus at DD to go to Beach Club at 4:45 pm. Didn't arrive until 5:50 pm! Given the proximity, that is horrible.

Doctor P said:
In general, the transportation (in terms of getting places in a timely fashion) is horrible at the Epcot Resorts. This includes getting to and from Epcot. The boats have a lot of character and are nice to ride, but they are not an efficient or timely means of transportation. For someone who has mobility issues (which I do not), the walk, even to Epcot, can be a challenge. The bus service at the resorts is, in general, horrible. We ride the buses at WDW every trip, and we have used the buses in the Epcot resort area extensively. In general, we have been extremely pleased with the bus transportation, but the bus transportation at the Epcot resorts has pretty much always been bad on each trip we have taken. One glaring example from our last trip. Boarded the bus at DD to go to Beach Club at 4:45 pm. Didn't arrive until 5:50 pm! Given the proximity, that is horrible.

I really cant comment on DTD, Typhoon, BB because they are not even on our radar (partly because we do the AP discount for the parks) when we are there so they may be valid points-just irrelevant to us. So I think this discussion depends on what your habits are and if you are mobile (as I have said before). But I would predict 90 plus percent of folks going to walk around WDW for a week are believe it or not-mobile.

Getting to and from EPCOT is horrible at BWV? There are some of us that go to Illuminations at EPCOT. Maybe someone can measure but I think the distance from the France bridge to BWV is almost the same as the lagoon to Bus stop-and you have not even started your bus wait/journey home-how can that be considered horrible? Another 10 minute guarantee from Illuminations to the BWV (less to BCV), all other resorts are 30 minutes MINIMUM by bus after Illimunations ends. Same goes for MGM only 15 minutes.

Walking from EPCOT can be a challenge? Another measurement will prove it less than 1 lap around the countries. Also some folks arrive at EPCOT by bus, get in line for Soarin FP and then do TT-back to Soarin, mabe do a few more rides (SE/Ellen/MS whatever) then head back to the countires for a bite to eat and stroll around. After that they head back home to swim/rest. If you are back in the countries-it is as close to walk to the BWV as back to the bus stop-to how is that horrible?

Habits again-what about a PS at Canada or France. We can swim/nap/rest until we want then leave 15 minutes before and not waste any of our time. If I have a PS like this from OKW/SSR/VWL we leave our room and hour before just to be safe.

Once again, in our experience the BWV bus service to MK is very good, we were always the last on going and never waited for one anymore than any resort and it goes directly to MK. On the way back we never wait any longer for a bus than any other resorts and we are the first off at S/D and walk over the bridge. Can SSR/OKW claim last on, first off on the MK bus? AK has alway been the same as any resort except last trip it stopped at BB (making BB Bus service awesome now that I think of it) so other than DTD/Typhoon which I never do, even the Bus service at BWV is great and the other options phenominal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter