Is Bob Chapek ruining the Parks experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I have a subscription, thanks for the link! This post is ridiculous. Genie is really sending everyone to Swiss Family Treehouse? Lol. Disney is not even trying to hide the fact that the only purpose of Genie is to try to disperse crowds to less popular attractions.
Not to mention that with the regular Genie ( not G+), from the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, the first three suggestions tend to be:
1). Pay for ILL #1
2). Pay for ILL #2
3). Pay for G+ (Hmm sensing a pattern here)
4). Visit an unpopular attraction

Hmm… yeah thanks Disney. I guess the point of Genie is to grab more of our money.

I really do feel bad for first time visitors who believe suggestions on Genie. Disney really needs to resolve this to make it truly in the guests interest.

Dan

Last edited:
The announcement was at D23 Expo in 2019 and that was a beta. So if they had a beta in place 2 years ago, then it's been in development for a MINIMUM of 4-5 years.

I was in the room at D23 when it was announced by Bob Chapek. If anyone thought it was going to be all free, they were naive. It was obvious it was the lead in to paid fastpass.

Also in the same meeting was the introduction of Target Disney Stores. The Target Dog was there and everyone got a Target gift card on the way out. It was also obvious it would be the demise of mall Disney Stores.

The pandemic may have delayed both but it wasn’t the cause.

I grew up with a different Disney World, a better one in my opinion. The now Disney World is just not for me.

The average family really can't have the same experience as those with deeper pockets, now. It was more fair in the past.

I doubt if Disney World will ever get back to as good as it was even if you spend more now. That's another problem.

Also, I expect more breakdowns moving forward, whether it's a ride or Disney transportation. I just don't believe they have the same qualified employees anymore.

It's just not for me anymore, as it is right now.

I was expecting the genie app to have some bugs and not be perfectly optimized.... but WOW... it's sounds atrocious! Just sending you to less desirable attractions all day (even if they're closed). Totally unacceptable.
So predictable. I will probably never even peek at Genie.

I have a subscription, thanks for the link! This blog post is ridiculous. Genie is really sending everyone to Swiss Family Treehouse? Lol. Disney is not even trying to hide the fact that the only purpose of Genie is to try to disperse crowds to less popular attractions.

Has anyone run a test where they delete things like the treehouse at the beginning of the day (like they said they did with Philharmonic later in the blog post to get it to reoptimize) to get it down to what you actually would want to do to see how it sends you around the park?

Has anyone run a test where they delete things like the treehouse at the beginning of the day (like they said they did with Philharmonic later in the blog post to get it to reoptimize) to get it down to what you actually would want to do to see how it sends you around the park?
I did attempt that. It kept the three things I wanted to do, exactly where they were in the schedule and repopulated the rest of the day with other equally awful suggestions and in some cases, the same attraction I removed

I did attempt that. It kept the three things I wanted to do, exactly where they were in the schedule and repopulated the rest of the day with other equally awful suggestions and in some cases, the same attraction I removed

Thanks for the info! I wonder if Genie 2.0 will let you actually customize for only $5 a day?!

Of all the things that people have called short-sighted by Disney lately (a lot of which I think is just either whiny or just venting really) - the combination of Genie asking people what they want for top experiences and then ignoring them has gotta be at the top of that list. You're going to convert zero of the first time guests that are presumably the market for this tool into buying more of your stuff if you send them to the treehouse when they just wanna make it to Space Mountain.

Chapek took over during a pandemic that saw every park on earth closed for months.

WDW is, despite the above, doing a total renovation of Epcot, opening multiple new E-ticket attractions, opening multiple new shows, and opening the most unique and anticipated resort experience in its history.

I’m not saying chapek is great but I really don’t think it’s fair to condemn him yet either.

Lol this is hilarious. Basically, for genie’s intended audience (disney novices who are maybe on their first trip), they would be much better off just randomly going on rides that they want to ride versus following Genie’s suggestions. Someone again please tell me that DME was eliminated because DIsney was worried about “damaging their brand with a degraded service.” 🥴

They announced Genie before the pandemic roared in -D23 August, 2019. No reason to think Genie+ wasn't built in but not advertised at the time. It was prime time to start charging before the 50th crowds if everything in the world/parks had just been going along like it always had.
That kind of reinforces it. I must have been sick the day that was mentioned. But now it makes a lot more sense. They knew (Bob #1, I'm talking about) it was going to not be universally thought of as a good thing and positioned himself not to be the direct target.

I have a subscription, thanks for the link! This blog post is ridiculous. Genie is really sending everyone to Swiss Family Treehouse? Lol. Disney is not even trying to hide the fact that the only purpose of Genie is to try to disperse crowds to less popular attractions.
It works because it has dispersed me to someplace that isn't even Disney. Good Job, Ladies and Gentlemen.

If you were involved in the decisions I feel that may be part of the disconnect if you are looking from business side rather then as the side of the customers. My understanding is decision makers were shocked at negative feedback for canceling the dme. One issue business sometimes have is they weigh things important to them rather then what’s important to customer. Even here you seem to be implying we’re wrong about wanting the service to continue even if in slightly different form.

You may feel the decisions were not made due to profit motives but that’s because you make assumptions of what is and isn’t possible based on budget and assumptions on what guest do and don’t want. In your example the service could continue; if patents were involved theres pathway to license the patent and continue without those companies. It may not be financially viable for Disney to do it but it’s definitely an option and to say profit didn’t play into this is a bit disingenuous because there was pathway to bring it back in previous form if money wasn’t an issue.

IF MONEY WERE NOT AN ISSUE, then perhaps yes - you could purchase the patents, and you could get the TSA to bend (it would take years and they would never do it in the middle of a Pandemic) and you could redevelop technology that other companies had invested years of research in. I can tell you that the budget for my company alone was measured in 20+ million range, and we were just one cog in the wheel and the only reason it was economical was because Disney subscribed to the service; didn't build it, or manage it and was just one (albeit an important one) of our customers.

Frankly it would be the most moronic business sense in the world for Disney spend spend north of 200+ million (AT LEAST what it would cost) and 3+ years bringing back a service that brought in no revenue and although did have some fringe benefits, would NEVER bring back that kind of return. And besides - as mentioned, it would take 3 years for them to do it and by that time people would have moved on.

To those claiming that stockholder value was a part of it, all I can tell you is that clearly you have never been involved in decisions of that sort. Our part was focused purely on the technology and feasibility. Other business units would be responsible to lowering prices based on their costs. DME may be a part in determining how much to charge because they have to pay back the business unit, but NO ONE is sitting there with a calculator and going "mousekeeping.... maintenance.... front desk.... DME. OH WAIT! THERE IS NO DME! CHA-CHING!". It just does not work that way. They add up their costs. They factor in their P&L, budgets, expenses and expected revenues and set a price that the market will bear. It's all very scientific.

But I get it. No one gets likes from speaking about reality. People want to believe that there are evil corporate execs rolling in gold coins making evil manicial laughs. Because that's the "in" thing.

People want to believe that there are evil corporate execs rolling in gold coins making evil manicial laughs. Because that's the "in" thing.

Psychology at work - We all really, really need to hate Chapek and his punchable face. If it's *his* fault then we can hate one person instead of the entity that is Disney which we love. "Disney" would never betray us by changing things we like to things we don't like. We can all continue to feed money to the machine that way.

I ran the numbers yesterday for kicks but now I'm seriously considering it. I priced out our Disney trip for DH & I over Easter Week. Nine nights-2 at POR & 7 at BWI in a garden view room w/ 8 day tix w/ PH's (BEFORE food, drinks, etc). I also priced out 10 days in Milan & Venice Italy on a river cruise w/ a higher end cruise line (w/ all food, drinks & admission to sites, etc INCLUDED). The Italy trip came in almost $2,000 cheaper than Disney! Now we're thinking of canceling Disney & going to Italy instead. Disney was never a good value for the dollar but it was still worth the cost because of the enjoyment we got out of going. It hurts to say it but Disney just isn't as enjoyable anymore.

I wish the Exec's would just get back to the basics & before making decisions ask themselves "What would Walt want?"? After all, if it wasn't for him & his (and Roy's) vision none of them would be working for the Disney company.

Thanks for the vent, I feel better now....

IF MONEY WERE NOT AN ISSUE, then perhaps yes - you could purchase the patents, and you could get the TSA to bend (it would take years and they would never do it in the middle of a Pandemic) and you could redevelop technology that other companies had invested years of research in. I can tell you that the budget for my company alone was measured in 20+ million range, and we were just one cog in the wheel and the only reason it was economical was because Disney subscribed to the service; didn't build it, or manage it and was just one (albeit an important one) of our customers.

Frankly it would be the most moronic business sense in the world for Disney spend spend north of 200+ million (AT LEAST what it would cost) and 3+ years bringing back a service that brought in no revenue and although did have some fringe benefits, would NEVER bring back that kind of return. And besides - as mentioned, it would take 3 years for them to do it and by that time people would have moved on.

To those claiming that stockholder value was a part of it, all I can tell you is that clearly you have never been involved in decisions of that sort. Our part was focused purely on the technology and feasibility. Other business units would be responsible to lowering prices based on their costs. DME may be a part in determining how much to charge because they have to pay back the business unit, but NO ONE is sitting there with a calculator and going "mousekeeping.... maintenance.... front desk.... DME. OH WAIT! THERE IS NO DME! CHA-CHING!". It just does not work that way. They add up their costs. They factor in their P&L, budgets, expenses and expected revenues and set a price that the market will bear. It's all very scientific.

But I get it. No one gets likes from speaking about reality. People want to believe that there are evil corporate execs rolling in gold coins making evil manicial laughs. Because that's the "in" thing.
I think you again fall into trap of viewing the business through your focal point as all or nothing exactly as it is today to have any value to customer. In most basic form Disney could just continue to contract through mears and have service continue for near future as it was for all of 2021. That would cost nowhere near $200 million in development to implement and it’s hard to find believeable excuse for why they woudnt continue other then Disney no longer sees it as necessary and incorrectly believed it wasn’t viewed as valuable to customer base.

If they did decide they need exactly what they had before, Im sure they could find way to implement. I don’t know the ins and outs of what needs to be developed to enable the program to go back to original form but the fact a business model was possible for the last 15 years is strong indication it could continue in future. Id also add this impression you seem to have that no one else is involved in business decisions is incredibly naive as many of us come from much bigger companies with much bigger budgets then you laid out.

TP doing a test comparison of Genie to their product isn't exactly what I would consider an objective analysis......LOL. Clearly they have a vested interest in continuing to get people to pay for their service.

I ran the numbers yesterday for kicks but now I'm seriously considering it. I priced out our Disney trip for DH & I over Easter Week. Nine nights-2 at POR & 7 at BWI in a garden view room w/ 8 day tix w/ PH's (BEFORE food, drinks, etc). I also priced out 10 days in Milan & Venice Italy on a river cruise w/ a higher end cruise line (w/ all food, drinks & admission to sites, etc INCLUDED). The Italy trip came in almost $2,000 cheaper than Disney! Now we're thinking of canceling Disney & going to Italy instead. Disney was never a good value for the dollar but it was still worth the cost because of the enjoyment we got out of going. It hurts to say it but Disney just isn't as enjoyable anymore.

I wish the Exec's would just get back to the basics & before making decisions ask themselves "What would Walt want?"? After all, if it wasn't for him & his (and Roy's) vision none of them would be working for the Disney company.

Thanks for the vent, I feel better now....

Walt Disney has been dead for nearly 55 years. Anyone using "What would Walt want?" arguments half a century later is doing so in bad faith. No one can say what he would want in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter