Is Anyone Else Mortified?

disneyquilter

It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...
Hi all,

Just curious to know if anyone else is mortified by the Annual Pass Disney ticket increases? I am an avid premium AP holder for Disneyland and I am speechless at the increase. We may be going to WDW EVERY year for the price they want now, instead of every other year. :cool1::thumbsup2

I think with Cars Land opening, we all expected a significant increase. 30%+ is bit more than "significant". :faint:

However, if you're doing WDW & DL, the Premier is still a great deal....and only increased 13%. :rotfl2:

We discussed this, of course, on this week's Disneyland Podcast (going up Thursday). There's also a huge thread over on the Disneyland board.

It is mortifying and sad. I use to take quick weekend trips and those 'little' trips are really being priced out of range especially since my two year old will be three soon.

I am all for Disney staying financially healthy but I am think they are cutting off their leg to save their arm.

I am a DVC member and despite my accommodations being taken care of, the tickets are now a MAJOR expense. The cost of tickets use to be inconsequential but between my family growing and getting older (three kids; 12, 9, and two) and the price increases, we probably will go to Disney less often and use our points for larger villas or for the more expensive resorts; if we can get in.

Holy Moley, I just skimmed the thread on the DL board...some tickets went up 35%! Woooooooooow. Is that all due to Carsland? One ticket went up $150, that is huge. I will admit, I am not a fan of Carsl, the new land doesn't interest me at all, so maybe I'm missing something. :confused3

Too much IMO :scared:, but I guess they will price it to what ever they can get.

Since a large number of their guests are locals, Disney is probably banking on the fact that it will still be less expensive for the locals to pay the increase than to travel to WDW.

Holy Moley, I just skimmed the thread on the DL board...some tickets went up 35%! Woooooooooow. Is that all due to Carsland? One ticket went up $150, that is huge. I will admit, I am not a fan of Carsl, the new land doesn't interest me at all, so maybe I'm missing something. :confused3

Annual Passes took the brunt of the increases.

Premier from $749 to $849 (+13.3%)
Premium from $499 to $649 (+30.1%)
Deluxe from $379 to $469 (+23.8%)
Southern California from $269 to $329 (+22.3%)
SoCal Select from $199 to $269 (+35.2%)

Non-hopping ticket increases ranged from from 3.6% (5-day) to 8.8% (1-day).
Hoppers increases ranged from 9.0% (5-day) to 19.1% (1-day).

Don't worry WDW prices will go up as well. It is a high cost but not unexpected. Disney hiking up ticket prices happens as consistently as death. and taxes. With carsland opening as well as the rest of the park, I'm not surprised they raised prices but as much as they did slightly more surprised but not by much

I've been cutting back in other areas like hotels, food and merchandise in order to go to WDW.

I heard that because the CA parks are always so crowded, this may be a way of thinning out the crowd a little bit.:confused3

DLR actually has a lot more Annual Passholders than WDW has.

And also a lot of "free-running" teens who come without their parents. These are the ones who spend almost no money while there and are the ones that they are trying to cut back on. At least at WDW most of the Passholders travel and are getting rooms and meals.

It's an INSANE increase, especially when you consider that a WDW Premium AP (which includes 4 parks, 2 water parks and DQ) is now only a little more than $40 more (I'm including tax) than a DL Premium AP.

Of course, I'm sure the solution to that problem will simply be to raise WDW AP prices accordingly. And they'll keep doing so until enough people stop going, or cut back enough that it impacts Disney's bottom line. They are a business, after all.

DLR actually has a lot more Annual Passholders than WDW has.

And also a lot of "free-running" teens who come without their parents. These are the ones who spend almost no money while there and are the ones that they are trying to cut back on. At least at WDW most of the Passholders travel and are getting rooms and meals.

Well, I have a "free running teen" at WDW and if it goes up alot here... she will be thinned from the herd.:sad1:

Doesn't sound like a good business model. :confused3

if demand is so high that it damages the experience, how else would you propose to handle the situation?

increasing prices reduces demand. that's the point.

the alternative is increasing supply to meet the additional demand. adding a new park is much tougher.

Doesn't sound like a good business model. :confused3

Actually in some cases it can be a great business model. Sometimes it is not just about the quantity of customers you have visiting your business, but the quality of customers.

I heard that because the CA parks are always so crowded, this may be a way of thinning out the crowd a little bit.:confused3

I think that's the deal...

At WDW you can't get a Park hopper over 10 days... so the AP is the other choice...

They're going to have to figure something out.

Well, I have a "free running teen" at WDW and if it goes up alot here... she will be thinned from the herd.:sad1:

Poor Grace. :sad2: Thinned out of the herd. Ah well happens to us all. I scrimped and scrimped and worked at WDW so I could get in free.

Sadly, I may be thinned from the herd due to this increase. I was shocked at how much my premium AP went up, and I might not renew when the time comes in Dec. It pains me to even think about not having my AP anymore, but there are only so many dollars to go around.

I definitely believe that this is an effort to not only cash in on Carsland, but also reduce the number of APs at DLR. There really are too many. The Sundays when none of the passes are blocked out are crazy crowded.

Actually in some cases it can be a great business model. Sometimes it is not just about the quantity of customers you have visiting your business, but the quality of customers.

But it does sound a little like "Hey all you wealthy people get in here. The rest get the heck out." Okay that sounds bitter very bitter. Unfortunately as long as guest continue to come pay the amount Disney will keep raising prices.

Luckily at least at WDW they have affordable hotels like Pop Century so you can cut cost. But eventually you will have a lot of people who come once and never come back. Or you will have people limiting their visits. Or limiting what they purchase via bringing food in the park to limiting what they buy in souvenirs. It's already happening.

Great Googly Moogly ! :eek:

That's one heck of an increase !

Even at DW, the AP costs seem to go up and up with next to NO reward for the "faithful". (And if you're reading this, you probably are, as well...)

Much to my surprise, this will mark our third year without AP's, with very limited visits to the parks. (Except with my Mom over the 4th of July...)

We're much more excited about the new Costa Rica trips being offered by ABD.

Once you've become accustomed to their level of service, there really is NO going back.

Then again, maybe we're just getting older. :tilt:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter