Is anyone cruising with me on the August 27th 2011 Meditteranean Cruise? Hellooooo?

Can they do this without conpensating passengers??????? Many complaints of those passengers on this cruise whose 7 day med was cut to 6 day med???????????????????????????

Their cruises will not have been cut short Diane - they will simply have docked at Barcelona on the Friday night rather than the Saturday morning; their vacation would have stayed the same length - they wouldn't have had to vacate the ship any earlier. The same thing happened on our May cruise - a passenger on-board had a medical emergency, so rather than cruising slowly back to Barcelona to arrive early on the Saturday morning, the ship steamed at speed and arrived on the Friday night so the sick passenger could be transferred to hospital. It would have cost Disney Cruise Line more in fuel costs and in moorage fees but they did it because it was in the best interests of the passengers affected - which will be why they returned early on the cruises you referred to - so as not to expose passengers to potential industrial unrest.

The good news is that there was definitely no airport strike today and that seems called of entirely :yay:
I think a lot of the protesting in Madrid is spurred by the media focus on the area due to the pope's visit for World Youth Day. I am not overly worried about it--besides Madrid is far from Barcelona.

Di--as Halo said, the cruises have not been cut short. Basically when it is not possible to dock in Palma, Disney is using Barcelona as a port. You can stay on the ship all day if you like (and no one needs to be off any earlier on Saturday than they would otherwise), or take an excursion into Barcelona and then come back in the afternoon or evening--just as you would have done in Palma.

It is quite common in the cruising industry for ports to need to be changed at the last minute. Weather, politics, mechanical issues and medical problems can all affect where your ship really goes. We end up with some sort of change in port on about 25% of the cruises we take. It is just how things are in cruising--you have to be willing to go with the flow and make the best of it.

Well lets hope all does remain calm as all our ports are on stress alert/economical issues!

Spain/Italy! Remember, I am watching news feed and issue live daily/interviews with natives etc as these are my Med neighbours and facing the same problems as we have dealt with here for over 2 years,so I think I am the most experienced (victim myself) on this economical situation and how demonstrations and strikes are evolving quickly and the consequences that can occur if residents decide to put up a fight for their human rights! The pope's visit is only a small piece of the problem and does not play a role in the deeper issues at hand!

I am worried and am keeping my fingers crossed! CALM/CALM/CALM

:cool1::goodvibes:headache:pirate::cool2:I cannot wait to touch down in Barcelona, only then I can relax! Have a sleep/go to Spa in morning for swim/drink some wine/beer before heading to cruise terminal later that morning/afternoon!

Not staying directly in Barcelona city centre either before or after cruise,so do not have to worry about city Demos!

I am also following this weeks cruise on their meet site! For any updates!

Been so busy! As on return,start school year on 12th!

Back to reality!

Packed the traditional retzina (Greek Wine) hopefully, I can resist the temptation of drinking it before pirate night!

Trying to balance out luggage!not easy,so prob will take it to airport on Tuesday and ask them to pre-weigh them to ensure kilos ok before departure on Friday! Hopefully none of the 50+ FE gifts will break! Yes, I went from my enitial planning of cabins only to per child+cabin! When they scan my luggage,they are going to think I am crazy with such duplicate items! It will be fun explaining to security in Greek what FE is!

Weather is extremely HOT & exhausting/ hotter and unusual for this period! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Roni

Thank you!!
Looking forward to meeting everyone next week. I tried sending a picture but it looks like it did not go through. I also tried to update my avatar. That looks like it did not work either Must be doing something wrong. I will try again later.

Thanks Julie and Yvonne! I've gotten both your pictures and have added them to the website - GREAT PICS!!! Thanks for sharing!! :cloud9:

Hi everyone, sorry if this question has already been covered somewhere, but I thought it would be much quicker to post, than to read thro 85 pages of thread! I'm sorting out my money this week, and need to know how much I need to keep aside for tipping on board?
Thanks

pirate::cool1:5 days till leave which will pass really quickly now!
I bet everyone is excited to set off!

Weather is holding up fabulously here 35-40 on average.

Hi everyone, sorry if this question has already been covered somewhere, but I thought it would be much quicker to post, than to read thro 85 pages of thread! I'm sorting out my money this week, and need to know how much I need to keep aside for tipping on board?
Thanks

In cash terms, tipping aboard is de minimis - everything can be charged to your stateroom. The only thing you might need cash for is to tip room service, but again you can simply charge this to your stateroom too. So, actual cash needed on board is really zero.

Almost there... Almost there...

So, are people still considering a pre-cruise Barcelona meet-up? There was talk a while back about meeting near La Sagrada, at a Dominos. I know a few people posted that they probably wouldn't be able to, so perhaps the idea was scrapped?

Last mention I could find was in post #807 back in May (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=41193913)

Joe

Credit card question....is anyone only bringing one of each type of credit card and ATM card? Or are say both couples each bringing the same cards? I have spent all morning getting the money situation together and I think I may still be short some Euros!!:upsidedow

Almost there... Almost there...

So, are people still considering a pre-cruise Barcelona meet-up? There was talk a while back about meeting near La Sagrada, at a Dominos. I know a few people posted that they probably wouldn't be able to, so perhaps the idea was scrapped?

Last mention I could find was in post #807 back in May (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=41193913)

Joe

JeanJoe, A few of us are doing the Fat Tire Bike Tour at 4pm in Barcelona http://fattirebiketours.com/barcelona then after that we could do domino's or we were planning to go to the market to pick up fresh food and go watch the water show.

Credit card question....is anyone only bringing one of each type of credit card and ATM card? Or are say both couples each bringing the same cards? I have spent all morning getting the money situation together and I think I may still be short some Euros!!:upsidedow

We are not taking our ATM Cards. We are only bringing one credit card with the same account number for both of us.

JeanJoe, A few of us are doing the Fat Tire Bike Tour at 4pm in Barcelona http://fattirebiketours.com/barcelona then after that we could do domino's or we were planning to go to the market to pick up fresh food and go watch the water show.

We are not taking our ATM Cards. We are only bringing one credit card with the same account number for both of us.
Would you know if I bring some US cash on the ship will they exchange it for some Euros right on the ship?

They should be able to exchange it or what you can do is get a cash advance on the ship where you ask for cash and they just charge it to your on-board credit card. I have done that before.

I just found out that if you take US dollars on board to exchange for Euros there is no limit. Keep the reciept. The exchange rate is the same for the whole cruise. If you want to sell your Euros back, Disney will by them back at the same rate they sold them to you (again keep your reciept for this).

You can write a personal check but there is a $200/day limit.

I would recommend that you bring several cards of different types - and keep them separate.

Different types because you might find, for example, that some places take Visa but not Mastercard; or vice versa. Don't rely on Amex, as it is not universally accepted in Europe (because it charges merchants higher fees). As for Discoverycard, Diners and other such cards, you should leave these at home - you probably won't find anyone who would accept them.

Obviously Disney will accept Visa, Mastercard and Amex. The acceptance issue is for local merchants.

I think its wise to carry multiple cards too in case you are pick pocketed/robbed. It's always safer to have another card in you stateroom safe, just in case.

As above re only taking one credit card.

The best fx conversion rate you will get to Euros should be from using a Visa or Mastercard to withdraw funds from your checking a/c via an ATM. Exact charges will depend upon your individual banks, but Visa and Mastercard will do the conversion at very close to the inter-bank market rate. Because of the commission charges from the bank whose ATM you use, and from your own bank, its not cost effective though for small amounts - rather withdraw $200-$300 equivalent each transaction.

... The exchange rate is the same for the whole cruise.....

I would be very surprised if this is the case - unless the spread they charge is so ridiculously high that they are not bothered with normal market variations.

Changing $ for € on board is simple and convenient, like doing it at any hotel; but you will pay for the convenience as the rate will be awful.

Also, when using your credit cards in merchants, many will offer you the choice to pay in your local currency ($, C$, A$ whatever) rather than € - you should always choose to pay in €, as the exchange rate your bank will use will always be better than the one the merchant's bank will use.

I hope this helps some of you. :thumbsup2

Would you know if I bring some US cash on the ship will they exchange it for some Euros right on the ship?
Yes, but they give a terrible rate. Terrible.
They should be able to exchange it or what you can do is get a cash advance on the ship where you ask for cash and they just charge it to your on-board credit card. I have done that before.

Last year the person in front of us in line wanted cash and to charge it to their account. They were told you could not do this--only exchange cash for cash. I do not know the official policy, but I thought I would share having heard that as it would make me leery of counting on being able to charge Euros to the account onboard. I DO know that Royal Caribbean does not allow getting local currency and charging it to your account as it was written in our "navigators" several times after people kept trying to do so. I do not know if that is the type of policy which is similar from line to line or not.

Last summer on the Magic I found the exchange rate to be pretty much the same as I got charged on the my credit card, so I thought it a fair rate. It was nice to know I could exchange back at the same rate.

I just got a refund for something non DCL related on my credit card the charge had gone through at 1.45 and the refund was at 1.38 so you do not want to have left over Euors that you need to exchange back.

I just got a refund for something non DCL related on my credit card the charge had gone through at 1.45 and the refund was at 1.38 so you do not want to have left over Euors that you need to exchange back.

For the future, if you contact your card issuer in such instances they should amend the rate so that refunds are applied at the same exchange rate. Obviously if the difference is in your favour, then there's no need to contact them. ;)

popcorn::

I have now done "the last shop before we leave" three times. If there is anything else we need I refuse to get it - we can go without. Three sleeps- see you all soon!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter