• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is a last minute trip even possible?

Skroops

DIS Veteran
For many years we would take a last minute trip to WDW. The fast passes were easy to grab and there was always ways to avoid the larger crowds- thanks to this website!
I took a bit of a break from WDW when kids got a little older and we discovered how much we enjoyed cruising on Disney cruises, then other cruise lines.
As the Covid pandemic lessens, I feel like traveling again but my family still refuses to cruise due to Covid concerns.
My idea was to head to WDW and go to MNNSHP as we have done so many times in the past. My idea came to a screeching halt when I discovered MNSSHP was sold out completely! I do not remember that happening before or at least not before October.

We used to love to stay at WDW properties and the higher cost was worth the savings of not renting a car by utilizing the Magical Express and transportation between resorts and parks. Now, I’m not sure if the perks of being onsite are even worth it. Thoughts?

Can anyone give me hope of doing a last minute trip or is it just not worth it? Will this reservation system continue? It seems like too much hoopla. Maybe a lounge chair on the beach in Mexico with a margarita in hand would be better?

Does anyone have encouraging thoughts on last minute trips to WDW? Side question do they ever release extra tickets for MNNSHP? I’m discouraged.

They're adding a bunch of new paid after hours starting 2023, and the Christmas party was priced so high it didn't sell out last year. So, there's hope.

I'd expect to see more paid after hour stuff going forward, like the Villain parties, which seems to match what you are looking for.

How last minute are you talking?

Park Reservations are annoying but they're not the end of the world, especially if you buy a Park Hopper. Can't get a Magic Kingdom reservation? Not ideal, but just hop there a few times.

I don't think the perks of staying onsite have ever been "worth it" in the financial sense. I stay on site because I like the resorts, not because I was getting significant value out of Magical Express or Extra Magic Hours.

Will this reservation system continue? It seems like too much hoopla.
How is pre-booking a park reservation any more hoopla than pre-booking FastPass+ was? It takes like 3 seconds. Like I said above... annoying, sure, but really not a big deal.

They're adding a bunch of new paid after hours starting 2023, and the Christmas party was priced so high it didn't sell out last year. So, there's hope.

I'd expect to see more paid after hour stuff going forward, like the Villain parties, which seems to match what you are looking for.
Yes! Thanks for the encouragement!
I really liked the Princess and Pirates party! But like the MNSSHP, we could get in as early as 4 with the party ticket. I hope it will be the same way.

How last minute are you talking?

Park Reservations are annoying but they're not the end of the world, especially if you buy a Park Hopper. Can't get a Magic Kingdom reservation? Not ideal, but just hop there a few times.

I don't think the perks of staying onsite have ever been "worth it" in the financial sense. I stay on site because I like the resorts, not because I was getting significant value out of Magical Express or Extra Magic Hours.

How is pre-booking a park reservation any more hoopla than pre-booking FastPass+ was? It takes like 3 seconds. Like I said above... annoying, sure, but really not a big deal.
Last minute by a few days. (Except for this week - sorry for all of you with Ian) Actually older FP lol - the rushing for the paper FP. The FP+ was chaotic to begin with, and I guess better later…

I think it depends on how you define last minute. Looking at the availability calendar, there's decent availability, most of the yellow days are for MK and DHS being unavailable or just DHS unavailable.

1664384203166.png

If anything I think the new system has made it easier for short to medium term planners (30 to 60 days out) than it used to be. But I will be glad when park reservations are no longer a thing and I can hop before 2 PM freely.

But I will be glad when park reservations are no longer a thing and I can hop before 2 PM freely.
There’s no promise that the 2 pm hopping will go away if or when reservations ever do.
I think the 2 pm hopping rule is causing a lot of people to forego getting hoppers. We ended up getting them only because we have a kiddo with us who may need a mid-day break, so going back to a different park could be nice. But it remains to be seen whether dgd will actually need the break or not. If she doesn’t, I think we’re gonna feel like we should park hop anyway, since we paid for it, even if we would otherwise have been fine staying @ our initial park. I think it’s really only going to be useful if she needs a break.
My son doesn’t foresee her wanting or even needing to leave. He says he remembers our family opening & closing the parks, and not going anywhere until it was time to head back to the hotel to go to bed. To top it off, we were a DL family, so oftentimes the park was open until 11, 12 or even 1 a.m. The youngest would doze in the stroller… the older ones wanted to keep going on rides. I think she is going to be tired earlier than he expects.

Guess we’ll see. 🤷‍♀️

I think it depends on how you define last minute. Looking at the availability calendar, there's decent availability, most of the yellow days are for MK and DHS being unavailable or just DHS unavailable.

View attachment 706097

If anything I think the new system has made it easier for short to medium term planners (30 to 60 days out) than it used to be. But I will be glad when park reservations are no longer a thing and I can hop before 2 PM freely.
Good to know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter