Is a 7 yr old too old to start playing with Barbie's

DebMcDonald

DIS Veteran
I have three DD's, 16, 9, and soon to be 7 and the 7 year old is our girly girl. They all have AG dolls, Bitty Babies, Doll Houses, Polly pockets, etc., but the littlest is the one that plays with all the dolls. Yesterday she decided that maybe she wants Barbie's for her birthday in August, and with all the rest of the dolls we have I wonder if Barbie is just the same, that being said, I'm at a loss as what to get her as she has no ideas (what don't we already own), but lately the polly's are all over house because she just can't get enough of them. Last night her two sisters swam in the pool in the 90 degree heat while she sat on the deck and played with Polly's. :love:

So if it's not Barbie any other ideas?

We're holding out on the AG doll for X-mas, she wants Lanie.

It sounds like you have a girl who loves dolls. Most of the girls in my family were doll lovers, including myself. I think that if she has expressed an interest in Barbie, I'd buy her some Barbies. You can get them pretty inexpensively and it sounds like she'll definitely play with them. I kept dressing up my barbies until I was about 12, and soon after that my little sister started playing with them. Now they're one of the toys my daughter runs for when she visits my mom's house.

Not at all. I think that is a normal age for girls to play with Barbies. I find my 5yr old is not very interested in barbies yet, but my 7yr old loves them.

If she's asking for them I would get her some. I think it's great that girls play with dolls for as long as possible....keeps them young.

7yrs is perfect. That's when they can finally get them dressed on their own. DD6 (she'll be 7 in Oct) has just discovered barbies.

I would start with a few and maybe a 4 pack of outfits to see how it goes.

You may be able to find some at a garage sale or a consignment shop for cheeper.

I am shocked that she is 7 and does not have any barbies. You can buy a lot of Barbie's for what you would pay for an american girl doll.

Do any of her friends have Barbies? If so have them bring some over one day so you can get an idea for what she may like.

Does she have any Littlest Pet Shops? Those are very popular also.

My DD is only 5 but my bbf's dd is 7 and they are into the same stuff. My DD has been playing with them since whe was 3. She is a girly girl and showed intrest. She plays with my old ones at my mom's.

I don't think 7 is too old if she wants to play with them. My daughter is 8. Never at all has shown an interest in any dolls until just recently when a family friend was discarding an old wooden Barbie dollhouse. She had to have it for some reason and now ocasionally when a friend comes over she'll actually play with it.

My DD turned 11 in March and still enjoys "playing pretend" with her Barbies. All other dolls have been set aside, including her AG Samantha that she got a couple of years ago, but she will still go off to the corner of our basement family room, known as "Barbie World" (It's quite the set-up!) and be content to quietly play by herself there for quite a while. Having said that, many girls her age would think that they're too "grown up" for Barbies, so I guess it depends on the individual. DD also loves to be social, plays piano, reads and is on the school dance team, so since I'm seeing her continuing to mature in other areas, I'm perfectly fine with her not being quite ready to set aside her Barbies just yet. :goodvibes

We were blessed with friends who gave us their enormous collection of Barbie stuff that was in pristine condition. Between that and the occasional garage sale find, we never had to invest much in it, so that was a bonus. :thumbsup2 It sounds like your sweet DD7 might really enjoy playing with them. Maybe you can look for a few bargains (new or used) and at least give it a try. :)

DD just started playing with them this year at the age of 6. I think I played with mine until I was 12 or so. I don't think 7 is too old, at all, and she will probably get several years out of them.

There's no age limit on Barbies. :rotfl: I think that's a perfect age to start playing with Barbies!

Just wanted to add, my DD(7) loves her Barbie pool. It is a small pool and she takes it in the swimming pool, bathtub, outside, etc.

She also has the Barbie Camper, but doesn't play with it as much as the pool.

My DD7 still loves her Barbies, Polly Pockets and most of all, LPS. I love it and want to be a little girl for as long as possible, probably because I have 2 daughters ages 18 and 21 and know just how quickly they grow up. Most of her Barbies are actually her older sisters', but she has gotten a few new ones of her own. They can be found at Target or Walmart on Clearance sometimes for a couple bucks, it's the extra clothes and accessories that get pricey.

I don't think so at all ! Our DD, who is 4, has played w/ her Disney Princess barbie dolls since she was 3 1/2. she LOVES them !! Since Toy Story 3 came out...Barbie is the new big thing. (again) She asked us...."will the girls (the Princess barbies) like to play with Barbie" ....of course, they're all friends.:love:

I'd vote for letting her play w/ Barbie. Wal-Mart and Toys R Us have the Barbie / Ken Toy Story 3 dolls and they're dressed like they are in the movie. They're adorable !

My daughter loved Barbies starting at age 3 until she was about 7. Then she ignored them for awhile. Now, at 10, she has started playing with them again. I remember my imagination being at its peak about this age, so I think it's wonderful that she's back to them. Of course, she's made me SWEAR not to tell her friends she plays with them :rolleyes:

I think 7 is the perfect age to play with Barbie. I really didn't want my daughter exposed to Barbie (although I love her) until she was at least 5. I felt the pieces (shoes, clothes) were too small and she would lose them and be frustrated with trying to dress Barbie. She is just getting interested in them now.

I was still playing with Barbie at 12 too! Now, I've heard of a few pregnant twelve year old's in the next town, I'd rather my daughter still be playing with Barbie.

Barbies are not too expensive-- why not get her some if she wants them?
I has a favorite barbie that I played with until I was 12.

My dd is 6 and will be 7 in Oct. She is the stuffed animal queen - has TONs of them and plays with them every day.

When she was about 4, I got her some barbies at once upon a child with a Cinderella coach and she also has gotten a couple of new ones. She never showed any interest in playing with them or any other dolls she has (other than to take all their clothes off....our home is the naked Barbie capital of the world!!!)

Now all of the sudden she is playing with her dolls, as well as the Barbies. I was so glad you asked this because I have been wondering too. Maybe 7 is the perfect age for Barbies!

I would follow someone else's suggestion and try to get a few at a consignment or tag sale, or even ebay has some in lots that are cheap. You can get them in like new or new condition, so it is not like you would be giving her junky ones for her bday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts