Interesting Experience w/ ADR Change Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way I’m just not seeing what the OP did that was so terrible.

I think praising the part of the change that benefited them (being able to change until 2 hours before) while at the same time complaining about & criticizing that they actually had to stick to the part that didn’t benefit them (no change within the 2 hour time frame) is kind of off putting.

Using the word "petty" to describe a reasonable policy implies that the OP feels the policy is beneath them.

And I'm guessing the first CM flagged the account, so when the second CM got a call mere minutes later, it had already been labeled as a "problem guest." People love to post about how if you don't like the answer the first CM gives you, hang up and keep calling back until you get what you want. But Disney tracks EVERY CALL. They know who you are. And they will label you internally as a difficult guest. Eventually, the favors will stop.

I worked in customer service long enough to know what goes on behind the scenes.

I’m not sure I follow the logic here. So if someone is labeled a “problem guest” by one CM and they call back to speak to another, the next CM accommodates them despite being labeled for bad behavior? That doesn’t seem like a sensible policy.

It just really seems like the first CM was having a bad day and the second CM found that the request was completely reasonable so they accommodated the change.

I’m not sure I follow the logic here. So if someone is labeled a “problem guest” by one CM and they call back to speak to another, the next CM accommodates them despite being labeled for bad behavior? That doesn’t seem like a sensible policy.

It just really seems like the first CM was having a bad day and the second CM found that the request was completely reasonable so they accommodated the change.

The second CM gave the customer what they wanted in order to appease them and prevent a third call asking for "your supervisor." The second CM was probably not in the mood. But if this person tries to do this again, or really call in to ask for any other accommodations, they will likely be told "no" in the future.

I was a manager in entertainment/retail. Our store worked on a membership basis. You can bet we kept "notes" on specific customers and those notes helped me in making decisions on whether I wanted to be nice to them and waive fees or give a refund or not. You repeatedly try to skirt policies, you will not get special treatment later on when something goes wrong and a manager DOES have the power to fix it. Often, the notes mean you get worse treatment down the line. The goal is to eventually get that problem customer to stop coming to your place of business, believe it or not.

Requests are different than policies. Request would be like the CM doing the modification on behalf of the guest (still adhering to policy). What the OP wanted was an exception and what the second CM did was an exception as it was outside of the published policy regarding ADR changes.

When I worked at the insurance company agents who were known to disrespect the employees were put on a no call list meaning they were unable to call and get help for their insureds policies. I don't know if Disney tracks each and every one of someone's phone call but a CM's notes could be notated and depending on what system they use it could pop up with recent calls. The system I had at the insurance company was Siebel and it would populate what were called "service requests" that were in a specified timeframe so you could review previous interactions. For the case of Siebel you could choose to make a comment private so the agent couldn't see it. We did have to use that at times either because it was information the agent couldn't be privy to or we would notate something like "agent was rude, agent wanted us to do something out of compliance, etc"

It's hard to know exactly why the second CM did what they did, could be they didn't care about getting in trouble, could be their supervisor gave them some leeway, could be they didn't realize what they did was against the new policy. I wouldn't say they gave the OP what they wanted to appease them because that would be knowing what was in their mind and that's impossible to know. But regardless the CM did something against published policy. The first CM lacked professionalism but stuck to the published policy.

Since the second CM waived the fee and modified the ADR immediately it’s reasonable to assume the OP’s request was within the CM’s discretion.
No it really isn't reasonable. It just means the CM went against published policy.

What that means for the CM in terms of them doing it is not something we can know for sure. That one phone call could have put the CM out of a job for doing that or it could have no effect or it could be a performance mark on their file for tracking but it doesn't mean that because they did it one should assume they have the go ahead to do it.

Well yeah it's not the OP's fault but the guest's fault in general. You as well as I understand how people make things change for other people. The OP knew the 2 hour window, liked that it gave them the flexibility, but then called it petty when they were then held to that standard. That in itself is probably not going to win many posters on one's side.

It's not just merely a switch from one expensive place to another. In what realm does that honestly make sense to just use that as one's logic for when a generic cancellation policy previously applied generally should now just be considered based on an ever-changing price tag? Would you think that's fair that you were held to a different policy because you didn't spent X amount but someone else did? So you spent $50 but someone else spent $70 and so you should get a different policy than them? I don't for one minute think you would be okay with that.

You can argue all day long about dining alerts but from what we know the OP themselves said they checked MDE. Even so the OP advises they were aware of the new policy but thought they could (however innocent) and even so dining alerts are what type of excuse for controlling one's own impulse?

As for your last line absolutely 100% yes it would hurt because if you've worked with customer service you know 100% it's never just that one person. We all know that one because in our lifetime we've all probably at least once asked to be that exception lol.
This is a little extreme, no? I honestly don't see the big deal in asking to switch restaurants an hour an half in advance. Before the policy police jump in, I do think it's very petty to wanna charge the woman 80 bucks in fees because she missed their deadline by 30 minutes. Do we get paid $10/pp fee if we're seated an hour past our reservation time? C'mon. Instead of complaining about this, let's talk about the ones who are really scamming the policies by shoving their 10 year olds into a stroller or requesting DAS passes to avoid paying for Genie.

This is a little extreme, no? I honestly don't see the big deal in asking to switch restaurants an hour an half in advance. Before the policy police jump in, I do think it's very petty to wanna charge the woman 80 bucks in fees because she missed their deadline by 30 minutes. Do we get paid $10/pp fee if we're seated an hour past our reservation time? C'mon. Instead of complaining about this, let's talk about the ones who are really scamming the policies by shoving their 10 year olds into a stroller or requesting DAS passes to avoid paying for Genie.
Frankly I think that Disney had you reserve an ADR 180 days much less what it is now at 60 days is extreme and have felt that way for years but you know places filled up at 180 days in advance and at 60 days in advance. What you see as no big deal is just your opinion. I haven't even said what my opinion is on charging a fee but I do know that Disney historically allows such latitude until they cannot anymore. Things like BOG for the PPO went on for long enough until Disney opted to find a solution in their minds that would curb the behavior. That's what they do for many things, just kinda how it is. Companies, especially ones that deal with the public so much, generally don't like to have to put all sorts of strict rules in place, it means they have to enforce them, it means a ton more work, and it means more customers whine and whine and whine. But often they put them in place for reasons.

I know some people want to focus on the mere 30 mins..well mere to them but think about it from a standpoint of a moving target. Do you think that if the deadline was instead 3 hours you'd feel the exact same way that it was just a missed deadline of 30 mins? What about when it was 24 hours in advance and someone missed the deadline by 30 mins. Would you feel the same way? These are rhetorical questions. It's just meant that whether any one of us agrees with whatever policy is put in place there is a specified cut off. You go through life with many situations you encounter where there's a timeframe. Even movies have cut offs for refunds.

As far as your $10 if you're seated past your reservation time that's a logical fallacy here and extreme itself.

As for as your last statement..let's not. If that's your rant the Disabilities Board is your spot and a thread could be created there if you want to. And I'm not sure about the stroller part as age doesn't mean they can't be in a stroller but either way..let's not. Or at the very least I'm not participating in that mess of a discussion.

Requests are different than policies. Request would be like the CM doing the modification on behalf of the guest (still adhering to policy). What the OP wanted was an exception and what the second CM did was an exception as it was outside of the published policy regarding ADR changes.

It was a request to change the policy. That’s why Disney has customer service. To resolve problems for their customers. If the consequences were as dire as being imagined here they wouldn’t have granted the request.

I once mailed my credit card bill in two days late. Visa’s policy is that I get a $39 late fee. I called customer service and asked if they would waive the fee and the rep credited my account. Companies have written policies and they also give customer service discretion to alter the policy.

Last edited:
The second CM gave the customer what they wanted in order to appease them and prevent a third call asking for "your supervisor." The second CM was probably not in the mood. But if this person tries to do this again, or really call in to ask for any other accommodations, they will likely be told "no" in the future.

We have no idea if any of this happened.

Last edited:
It was a request to change the policy. That’s why Disney has customer service. To resolve problems for their customers. If the consequences were as dire as being imagined here they wouldn’t have granted the request.
To the bolded that would be a demand. Saying change the policy because you (general you) don't want to pay a penalty fee? That's a demand. Asking to not be charged something that which you should be charged because of a policy is wanting an exception.

They as in Disney didn't do anything here. Disney has a policy, the employee did something outside of the policy. If you haven't worked in customer service much less on the phone you may not understand the background stuff. Not all companies are operate the same but never assume that an employee did something because they had the full backing of the company (that goes for all companies). I could tell you so many stories and I dealt with insurance regulations where there were actual consequences, where you as part of your employment contract knew you could be subpoenaed at any point in time for what you did and said. Every place I've worked at has had employees let go swiftly for even minor things just as much as kept on for major issues. That is how it goes. So you may think no way would Disney just let go of an employee who did what they did for the OP and I very much could....or I could see them do nothing...or I could see them give coaching.

Customer service isn't about resolving problems for customers unless you look at it as resolved means the customer was given an answer and the customer then has to understand that answer even if it's a no. Typically when people say resolve they mean in their favor. That's not how customer service works. Sometimes you get exactly what you want, sometimes you don't, sometimes they give you partially what you want, sometimes you're just answering a question that they could have figured out on their own. People call up Disney for all sorts of things.

In any case I do believe the single biggest reason not everyone is as sympathetic to the OP is giving kudos to the policy for added flexibility but not until they realized it wouldn't work in their favor. I could have easily seen a thread go more for a PSA "new policy caught me off guard" thread. But alas that was not what was contained in the OP.

To the bolded that would be a demand. Saying change the policy because you (general you) don't want to pay a penalty fee? That's a demand. Asking to not be charged something that which you should be charged because of a policy is wanting an exception.

They as in Disney didn't do anything here. Disney has a policy, the employee did something outside of the policy. If you haven't worked in customer service much less on the phone you may not understand the background stuff. Not all companies are operate the same but never assume that an employee did something because they had the full backing of the company (that goes for all companies). I could tell you so many stories and I dealt with insurance regulations where there were actual consequences, where you as part of your employment contract knew you could be subpoenaed at any point in time for what you did and said. Every place I've worked at has had employees let go swiftly for even minor things just as much as kept on for major issues. That is how it goes. So you may think no way would Disney just let go of an employee who did what they did for the OP and I very much could....or I could see them do nothing...or I could see them give coaching.

Customer service isn't about resolving problems for customers unless you look at it as resolved means the customer was given an answer and the customer then has to understand that answer even if it's a no. Typically when people say resolve they mean in their favor. That's not how customer service works. Sometimes you get exactly what you want, sometimes you don't, sometimes they give you partially what you want, sometimes you're just answering a question that they could have figured out on their own. People call up Disney for all sorts of things.

In any case I do believe the single biggest reason not everyone is as sympathetic to the OP is giving kudos to the policy for added flexibility but not until they realized it wouldn't work in their favor. I could have easily seen a thread go more for a PSA "new policy caught me off guard" thread. But alas that was not what was contained in the OP.

I’m missing how calling and asking for the fee to be waived is a demand. But I’ll agree to disagree.

Disney has always been super accommodating when I have contacted them on occasion. Who knows… maybe they have notes on my account that I’m a fantastic customer and that’s why I’ve always had great experiences! 😁

I’m missing how calling and asking for the fee to be waived is a demand. But I’ll agree to disagree.

Disney has always been super accommodating when I have contacted them on occasion. Who knows… maybe they have notes on my account that I’m a fantastic customer and that’s why I’ve always had great experiences! 😁
Or you're just a polite enough person on the phone? I def. have my customer service voice due to years of that. It can become easier too when someone acknowledges.

As far as the demand you said "change the policy" that's a demand as in you don't think any charge should be assessed. Asking for you to not be charged when the policy is to charge and that others would be charged is you asking for an exception.

Everyone who has been everyone has asked for an exception at some point in their lives. You're right Disney can be super accommodating..until they can't anymore (kinda the whole point of making policy changes when they become stricter).

I came here as I have a trip coming up this weekend and the weather looked iffy, so was poking around about the new modification rule.

I am not going to comment on the OPs situation, but hope I can get a response here instead of starting a new thread. I can cancel or modify up to 2 hours before, after that I’m charged the $10 fee, same as a no show correct?

I came here as I have a trip coming up this weekend and the weather looked iffy, so was poking around about the new modification rule.

I am not going to comment on the OPs situation, but hope I can get a response here instead of starting a new thread. I can cancel or modify up to 2 hours before, after that I’m charged the $10 fee, same as a no show correct?
Here's the link to the WDW website. You can read the official policy there.

The short answer to your question is that it depends on where the ADR is. Some need to be canceled 7 days in advance. Read the link. The policy is clearly laid out there.

I agree. I thought the OP was just relating their experience, period. A CM helped them out. When I read the original post, I thought it was great that they were able to get someone to help them.

I've found, in general, that Disney is extremely accommodating to its guests. They don't even call you a "customer." You're a "guest."

For example, I had a trip several years ago where I had to leave several days early because I'd gotten sick. Disney didn't charge me for the nights after I'd checked out, which I didn't find out about until I'd gotten home and saw the final bill. I was shocked, but of course pleased. I didn't ask for this, btw. They just did it. Is this Disney policy? I have no idea.

I agree. I thought the OP was just relating their experience, period. A CM helped them out. When I read the original post, I thought it was great that they were able to get someone to help them.

I've found, in general, that Disney is extremely accommodating to its guests. They don't even call you a "customer." You're a "guest."

For example, I had a trip several years ago where I had to leave several days early because I'd gotten sick. Disney didn't charge me for the nights after I'd checked out, which I didn't find out about until I'd gotten home and saw the final bill. I was shocked, but of course pleased. I didn't ask for this, btw. They just did it. Is this Disney policy? I have no idea.

That is likely standard policy as long as you didn't book a package or use a third party for booking. Room only reservations are not charged until you check out, and departing early almost always results in unused nights not being charged. I have had to do this twice (once for a hurricane in WDW and once for a positive covid test one night into a 3 night stay). I never asked either time, just stopped by the front desk to let them know I had to leave early and they offered it like that's just what they are supposed to do. I was asked both times, "did you book this directly through Disney?" and told if I hadn't, they couldn't do anything for me.

I once mailed my credit card bill in two days late. Visa’s policy is that I get a $39 late fee. I called customer service and asked if they would waive the fee and the rep credited my account. Companies have written policies and they also give customer service discretion to alter the policy.

Spot on! Of course there needs to be some kind of policies in place, however in this situation, the OP was not demanding the CM to switch it without paying the fees, she basically asked what could be done. She didn't like the attitude or the answer and called back to speak to someone else. I probably would've done the same thing. Customer service, especially Disney customer service should have the discretion to alter the policy based on the individual situation.

My experience has been similar. We were in Disney prior to Hurricane Matthew’s arrival and left 2 days early to avoid it. Our last day we went to MK until the pre announced early closure which was 2pm due to the arriving storm. So we had one more day left on our tickets when we left. Upon getting home I called Disney to see about getting a credit for the day the park was closed and they immediately took care of it and gave us a full day credit for the half day we already used as well.

Last edited:
I think the main problem I see with customer service is that after awhile, some reps start to treat a customer like they have called everyday for the last 100 days asking for an exception instead of remembering it’s a different person each time.
No one though has defended the first CM so I think your "main problem" is misplaced here. It wouldn't have mattered in the end though if that first CM was the nicest person possible because in the end the OP didn't get the answer they were hoping for and decided to just call back to get another person.

In a practical sense that repeats itself over and over and over again and yes some people do want exceptions every time, would that be the OP? Wouldn't know that, but it is something that happens. Many of us probably have done that ourselves where we request the same company to give us the same leeway as they did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter