Initial point purchase

tom1944

DIS Veteran
First of all thank you to all of you who respond to the questions we ask. It is very helpful.

I have narrowed my search down to 4 resorts and plan to purchase two sometime early next year- most likely February or March. Of course I have to admit it is very subject to change

They are Copper Creek (most likely) or Boulder Ridge (if the purchase price just makes it impossible to pass up) and Animal Kingdom. I fully expect to make a small purchase at Boardwalk but after a few trips.

Most likely our initial purchase will be CC and AK.

We considered Grand Floridian and Polynesian (my family stayed there the summer of 1972) but decided that the benefit of being on the monorail was offset by certain other considerations

We looked at Saratoga but the less expensive contract did not override the desire to have an 11 month window at the 2 resorts we decided on

Our plan is 7 or 8 days a year most likely late January early February, late August or the dreaded Jersey week in November. We may select some days in a studio but will always have some days in a 1 Bedroom

We expect to purchase around 250 points between the two but are not sure how that allocation should go. Is 100 at AK and 150 at CC better than 125 at each or 150 at AK and 100 at CC. I believe the points required are similar but AK has more options on rooms

Our first trip will be a split stay between the two resorts and if we like it that will continue. If not we will alternate years between the two or a resort available in the 7 month window

So is 250 points adequate and how important is the allocation as long as we purchase at least 100 points at each.

Forgoing all the other questions at the moment, if Polynesian’s lack of 1/2 brs is an issue and otherwise that would be your pick, wait until they release info on the new tower.

So is 250 points adequate and how important is the allocation as long as we purchase at least 100 points at each.

The allocation is extremely important if you are going for Jersey week, which is peak WDW and peak DVC, because the charts are relatively low. You will need that 11 month, and maybe more than that (we call that "walking"). A split stay can actually be even harder to book than just the whole thing at once in that kind of peak season.

1BRs are going to be much easier to book than studios. And AK has a lot more inventory than CCV or BR, plus some categories that can make booking easier. CCV is also unbalanced with studios always being tight.

So, allocation just depends on what you like more and what you want to commit to.

For what it matters, I think CCV is one of the best values in resale right now, especially when you consider it has the long contract length, but the chart of BR. I don't even like WL, and I've seen a few contracts that tempted me.

The allocation is extremely important if you are going for Jersey week, which is peak WDW and peak DVC, because the charts are relatively low. You will need that 11 month, and maybe more than that (we call that "walking"). A split stay can actually be even harder to book than just the whole thing at once in that kind of peak season. 1BRs are going to be much easier to book than studios.

And AK has a lot more inventory than CCV or BR, plus some categories that can make booking easier. CCV is also unbalanced with studios always being tight.

So, allocation just depends on what you like more and what you want to commit to.
I would want January/February for me and my wife.

August when we come down with my daughter and granddaughter

My daughter a teacher wants Jersey week

I can compromise so it will be January one year for me and my wife
August for the 4 of us
February for me and my wife
Jersey week for my small family or maybe I let my daughter use the points that year and we stay home

I'd buy what you and your wife love, not what your daughter wants every 4 years. Sounds like that is CCV.

If you want a CCV studio in general, you need to have CCV points. Maybe not in Jan/Feb, but it doesn't hurt even for then.

You don't need AKL points to book there off peak, especially if you are willing to spring for a savanna view or a 1BR.

I'd buy what you and your wife love, not what your daughter wants every 4 years. Sounds like that is CCV.

If you want a CCV studio in general, you need to have CCV points. Maybe not in Jan/Feb, but it doesn't hurt even for then.

You don't need AKL points to book there off peak, especially if you are willing to spring for a savanna view or a 1BR.
Thanks

That is what I wanted to know

So I might be better off with more points at CCV and also buy at Boardwalk now instead of AK because most likely I can book at AK in the 7 month window? We would want a 1 BR there

I would need the 11 month reservation at Boardwalk?

Thanks

So I might be better off with more points at CCV and also buy at Boardwalk now instead of AK because most likely I can book at AK in the 7 month window? We would want a 1 BR there

AKV is going to be easier to book at 7 months, as long as you are not expecting CL or value. Those are even hard at 11 months.

You need home resort advantage for BWV for anytime in the fall, so Jersey week would be a must,

August is lower travel period so I think you will have flexibility there, I think CCV ans BWV might make sense for the first contracts since having advantage there is more important than at AKV.

Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom! Great choices. Glad to see we have another Peter Dominick fan :)

Looking forward to saying welcome home when you make your purchase. I'm having a hard time passing up on the value of AKL right now. Our plans were to buy more CCV and perhaps a few VDH points, but AKL is very very tempting for us, and we love the resort. We were able to get a room at 7months and that will be our first stop for our welcome home trip in June.

Unless you can get the 2042 resorts for cheap I wouldn't buy them. There are only so many years before they expire and then you have nothing.

The 2042 resorts are: BWV, BRV and BCV - just to name a few.

In your shoes I would go with CCV for the 11 month window in the fall. Going in January or even august I would get SSR so I could use the points at 7 months. Unless you plan to go during the marathon in early January then you should have a lot of choices.

Unless you can get the 2042 resorts for cheap I wouldn't buy them. There are only so many years before they expire and then you have nothing.

The 2042 resorts are: BWV, BRV and BCV - just to name a few.

In your shoes I would go with CCV for the 11 month window in the fall. Going in January or even august I would get SSR so I could use the points at 7 months. Unless you plan to go during the marathon in early January then you should have a lot of choices.
After MLK Day but before Presidents Day

From your choices, I would buy AKL, because I would like to able to book club level every now and then and the 1BR club level isn't impossible if you are flexible on dates. And I don't like WL, because I already live in WL.

But it doesn't matter what I would pick. You have to pick what you like. If you like CCV, then you should buy that.

If you're going to buy BW anyway, I would be buying in now, the next few months. I think prices are going down right now because of all the people selling right now. If APs return after Christmas, I think prices will go back up, and if APs never come back, well who knows.

For CCV and AKL, it might be easier to put all your eggs in the CCV basket.

AKL is one of the easier resorts to book and smaller contracts tend to go for more per point. So it could save you money on your purchase and simplify working with your points.

Agree with Straulin. We have two resorts (one of them being CCV). And I am not pushing CCV since I am owner. Our other home resort we have a lot more points. The more points, the more flexible I can be at booking that resort. Everything from room type, booking cheaper rooms, grabbing two options for a trip and cancelling one once we commit, or one day trying a 2BR or Grand Villa with banking and borrowing. At 7 months, I also have a lot of points to play with. Easier to book a 1BR in general (and we have the points). Easier to maybe book two options or start to put together a trip since I can tie up more points if my perfect trip isn’t fully available. Less freaking out about banking and borrowing. The other great thing is that larger contracts (in general) are cheaper to buy. CCV is a great value for time and money. You can more easily get AKV (particularly higher point view rooms) at 7 months, but guess what, you have more points to do it with anyway. 100 points would be the minimum at this point I would recommend for any resort to have any type of flexibility. I would pick up a bigger CCV contract to start and see how things go. And be sure you want to buy a Boardwalk contract a few years down the road. Unless they really start to drop in price or you really want to stay there, the clock is getting smaller. 19 years left now, while most people typically hold for 10 years, in a few years, 15 or years left (if the contract has all the year’s points) is more of an emotional consideration to always go to boardwalk than a good deal.

AKV is going to be easier to book at 7 months, as long as you are not expecting CL or value. Those are even hard at 11 months.
I definitely agree. I've never even seen CL as an option at the 7 month window, even during covid.

Thanks

CCV studios availability can be tight and booking there for Christmas (if you ever decide to go then) definitely requires home point advantage. The longer expiration and the point chart value really makes it a great resort in my opinion - plus it is the Best resort at Christmas. AKV also has a home point advantage - the concierge and value rooms = both require home point advantage. CCV gives you easier park accessibility. AKV also has the three bedroom units with the pool table in the unit - which is pretty cool. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Depending on how you are planning to use the points, maybe do 150 CCV and 100 AKV

Thank you!... SSR, just the cheapest I could find for now... anywhere on property is a treat for me compared with off-property 😀
There is nothing wrong with that. SSR is the best if you like to spend a lot of time at Disney Springs. Also those points spend just fine at the other resorts at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter