Indirect Flight - Leaving the airport?

scottishgirl87

DIS Veteran
This is a bit of a silly question but on our way back from MCO we have a 9 hour stopover in Newark. It won't be a problem to actually leave the airport for some of this time will it?

Nope, you can ahve a wanfer, however, there is little around Newark to see, New York is possible however

Thanks Obi. Didn't think it would be a problem as long as we're back in plenty of time for security!

I've been to New York before and done all the "touristy" stuff, but BF hasn't, so planning a bit of a "whirlwind" tour just to see a few things he'd like to, but not actually go into any of them (like Empire State etc.). I remember it taking about 30-45 mins in a taxi from Newark into Manhattan so I think we should have time to do a few wee bits, even if it's just Times Square (which means shopping for me!) :love:

Thanks Obi. Didn't think it would be a problem as long as we're back in plenty of time for security!

I've been to New York before and done all the "touristy" stuff, but BF hasn't, so planning a bit of a "whirlwind" tour just to see a few things he'd like to, but not actually go into any of them (like Empire State etc.). I remember it taking about 30-45 mins in a taxi from Newark into Manhattan so I think we should have time to do a few wee bits, even if it's just Times Square (which means shopping for me!) :love:

hi scottishgirl - we flew via newark in May and because of some weather problems we missed our connection coming home and were put up in a hotel overnight (shame ....NOT)
Instead of taking a taxi from the airport consider using the train - the airport has a direct rail link into Penn station which is right at Madison Square Garden - we did this and it only took us 20 mins to get into Manhattan - we spent the afternoon at Times Square/Rockerfeller, then just got the train back - the station is about a 10 min walk from Times Square but you get a great feel for the city on your wander along (past Macy's/great view of the Empire state)

Something to consider:wizard:

hi scottishgirl - we flew via newark in May and because of some weather problems we missed our connection coming home and were put up in a hotel overnight (shame ....NOT)
Instead of taking a taxi from the airport consider using the train - the airport has a direct rail link into Penn station which is right at Madison Square Garden - we did this and it only took us 20 mins to get into Manhattan - we spent the afternoon at Times Square/Rockerfeller, then just got the train back - the station is about a 10 min walk from Times Square but you get a great feel for the city on your wander along (past Macy's/great view of the Empire state)

Something to consider:wizard:

Thanks very much Merlin!! I had read somewhere about a train but I thought I'd read that it took a long time. 20 mins sounds even better! You don't by any chance remember roughly how much it cost for a return?

And sadly, I'm actually hoping for our flight to be "cancelled" due to weather from Newark just for the extra night in NY, lol, I love it there!

Thanks very much Merlin!! I had read somewhere about a train but I thought I'd read that it took a long time. 20 mins sounds even better! You don't by any chance remember roughly how much it cost for a return?

And sadly, I'm actually hoping for our flight to be "cancelled" due to weather from Newark just for the extra night in NY, lol, I love it there!

It was roughly $15 per person each way - so $30 return per person - whihc I think is quite cheap.

When is it you are going? If its April/May then there is a good chance you may be "delayed" the north east gets some heavy rain and storms usually at these times.

Newark airport is quite a functional place, but there is some nice shopping in terminal 2 if you dont have time for NY.

We loved the Contintental service via newark from edinburgh and are looking to use them again in December (unfortunately they were really expensive for Las Vegas in October so we are going with BA!)

m:wizard:

Wooo thanks Merlin! $30 is a bargain really!

It was Newark I flew into when I went to NY in 2006, flew with Continental as well. I remember it being a HUGE airport! And it's good to hear good things about the Continental via Newark route :thumbsup2 It's May we go, the 10th, so you never know! I just don't wanna be delayed on the way out, lol.

Wooo thanks Merlin! $30 is a bargain really!

It was Newark I flew into when I went to NY in 2006, flew with Continental as well. I remember it being a HUGE airport! And it's good to hear good things about the Continental via Newark route :thumbsup2 It's May we go, the 10th, so you never know! I just don't wanna be delayed on the way out, lol.

similar time we went this year, the weather is fab and the flights were great.

have fun:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter