Indianapolis Festival 500 Half - May 8th, 2010

I did it! I crawled off the couch (the flu!!) and went to the computer. Registered for the race. Nothing like waiting til the last minute. I will be a walker waaay at the back, but I will be there. Now, I have to crawl back up the steps again!

Meg

Of course I had to wait until AFTER the increase to get off the fence, but after I saw that it was 95% full last night, I finally stopped wavering. Not only did I register, but DH and DD registered as well. As soon as I told DD that she got a free ticket to a practice day at Indy, she was in. The 5K tempted her, but that lap around the track was the clincher. Never mind that she's never run more than 3 miles before... but she IS taking jogging as her PE elective next semester, and I assured her that there will be plenty of WISHers if she has to walk. She'll probably finish ahead of all of us. :lmao:

Jackie

I'm in! Looking forward seeing all of you in Indy next May.

Now to start making plans for the Coast to Coast 2010.....

As soon as I told DD that she got a free ticket to a practice day at Indy, she was in.

Just don't tell her that a practice tickets only costs $5-10. ;)

For those of you who don't know, I am a HUGE IndyCar/Indy 500 fan. If you have any questions about the speedway or the weekend events, please don't hesitate to ask. This will be my third year running the mini and I usually spend every weekend in Indy in May for practice/qualifying/the race.

Jackie, I wish I was sticking around on Sunday for practice. I would be happy to loan your DD my garage pass for the day, but I have to leave right after the mini this year. The pass (it's called a bronze badge) is only $100 for garage access during the entire month, but that's a lot to pay for only one day.

Just don't tell her that a practice tickets only costs $5-10. ;)

We'll keep that a secret. Actually, I think she's more excited about the lap around the track than anything else. Today she was already trying to decide how to carry her camera. We're probably going to buy her a Spibelt for Christmas or her birthday. Since she's not a runner, she has no fuel belt, none of the "stuff" that we all carry things in, and it's senseless to spend a lot of money buying her a lot since this will probably be her one and only half marathon. She's much more the 5k personality!

I broke the news to my boss today that I'll probably need an extra day off work - we were planning to drive home on Sunday, but will probably wait until Monday now. I've already used most of my 2010 vacation and the year hasn't even begun!

Jackie

I broke the news to my boss today that I'll probably need an extra day off work - we were planning to drive home on Sunday, but will probably wait until Monday now. I've already used most of my 2010 vacation and the year hasn't even begun!

Jackie,

I could have written that myself. I keep finding other things to do and thus keep adding days to that trip. I am planning on squeezing in a visit to the zoo there. I hear it is really nice.

I am looking forward to this race!

Susan

Jackie,
I hear you on the vacation time! I am fortunate to work for a university with very generous vacation benifits. Unfortunetly, there are times when I am just not allowed to be on vacation. Fortunetly for me, the month of May is a pretty good time to be out of the office!

The lap around the speedway can be pretty brutal. For me, it is my favorite part of the race, but also the toughest. I have no idea why. Maybe because you can see how big it is and it just seems like you are in there forever? Maybe someone else can explain it! By the way, it took me over 32 minutes to complete one lap. An IndyCar can complete a lap in something like 39 seconds.

I have a belt that I used to carry my sports beans and camera. I took my camera out just before the speedway and then carried it until I left the speedway. I didn't use it again. The rest of the course is, um, not very exciting. I'll post some of my pictures later.

Susan, the zoo is wonderful and, if you have children, so is the children's museum. People travel from all over for the museum. You should also consider checking out the speedway museum. It is very interesting even if you aren't a race fan. In the past they have had an exhibit about the mini in addition to all of the race stuff.

Some pictures from last year:

Approaching the speedway

2009halfmarathons013.jpg

Entering the speedway

2009halfmarathons014.jpg

On the track

2009halfmarathons019.jpg

2009halfmarathons023.jpg

2009halfmarathons024.jpg

I think I have better pictures from 2008. I'll have to see if I can dig those up somewhere.

Oh the pics have me really psyched! Thank you for sharing these! My DH will be totally jealous since he is only able to enjoy finding me at the finish lines.

Jackie, I use a WDW waist pack as my running pack. I have my camera in a case that strings through the waist belt. My water bottle if I only take one slips on the waist belt also. Inside the pack are my gus, IPod, body glide, tylenol, lip gloss, and whatever else I decide but that's pretty much it. It's a cheap pack and works fine, maybe not "stylin" but oh well. It's me.

Jackie,

The lap around the speedway can be pretty brutal. For me, it is my favorite part of the race, but also the toughest. I have no idea why. Maybe because you can see how big it is and it just seems like you are in there forever? Maybe someone else can explain it! By the way, it took me over 32 minutes to complete one lap. An IndyCar can complete a lap in something like 39 seconds.

Susan, the zoo is wonderful and, if you have children, so is the children's museum. People travel from all over for the museum. You should also consider checking out the speedway museum. It is very interesting even if you aren't a race fan. In the past they have had an exhibit about the mini in addition to all of the race stuff.

DH and I both hit the wall on the speedway last year. I still remember putting my leg up against the wall trying to stretch my hamstring there! I did stop to pat the bricks at the starting line when I crossed. For those who aren't into racing, the strip of bricks are all that is left of the original speedway, hench the nickname, The Brickyard. I saw many people kissing the bricks, but all I could think was yuck! We're not planning to do the race this year, but if we go up to watch our son-in-law (he finished in the top 500 last year) I will cheer for my WISH friends.

Let me second the recommendation for the Children's Museum. It is the largest Children's Museum in the country, and well worth the time for a visit if you have kids with you.

As soon as I told DD that she got a free ticket to a practice day at Indy, she was in. The 5K tempted her, but that lap around the track was the clincher. Never mind that she's never run more than 3 miles before... but she IS taking jogging as her PE elective next semester, and I assured her that there will be plenty of WISHers if she has to walk. She'll probably finish ahead of all of us. :lmao:

Jackie

I will smoke you turkeys. 5 points if you can name the movie Mom.

So I just convinced a sulky teenager to run 13.1 miles so we could watch a practice round that doesn't exist... :mad:

At least you found this BEFORE I called and extended our hotel reservation, so I can be grateful that we'll be able to save money this way. It's a good thing, right? :confused3 How dare they?

That lap around the track better be worth it - she's already planning to kiss the bricks - so between that and the tour of the speedway, maybe she won't pout from now until next Christmas! And now we'll have time to do the Children's Museum too... :)

Jackie

It sucks for the fans, but the teams and drivers are pretty excited about it. All of their twitter messages have been very happy. (Tell DD to follow Marco on twitter if she isn't already. She can hear all about his workouts and dining plans. He doesn't post much in the off season, but it would have been really easy to stalk-I mean "run into"-him during the season.)

Hey, it's a good excuse to take your time during the speedway lap so that she can spend as much time there as possible!

Tickets are on sale for the 500. hint, hint

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter