In a Pickle....DLH or PPH? Which one...

Which would be YOUR choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kimmar067

TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!
....would YOU choose, and why? I booked the PPH, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Should I change my ressies, or leave well enough alone? If I stay put, I'm basically getting a free vacay using my Disney Visa points, but if I change hotels, it'll cost a few dollars out-of-pocket (unless I accumulate more points). Be brutally honest...TIA!

DLH. While I love the PPH, for me PPH is only a consideration if budget is a concern and means the difference of staying off site or on site.

If you can swing it without it being a major financial impact or sacrificing other parts of your vacation I would book DLH.

While you can get cheaper rooms that are just a close on Harbor properties if all you need is a bed and shower in your hotel stay...staying on site and not dealing with Harbor Side security is worth every penny IMO.

DLH. While I love the PPH, for me PPH is only a consideration if budget is a concern and means the difference of staying off site or on site.

If you can swing it without it being a major financial impact or sacrificing other parts of your vacation I would book DLH.
...okay, assuming $$ is not an issue, may I ask why? :rolleyes:

I'd stick with PP and being free! You still get all the great perks of being on property, but can put that money to other use!

I'm a Grand Californian girl through and through (heading there tonight!!!) But, I do not hesitate to stay at Paradise Pier!!!

When are you going? If the pools at DLH will be open I would vote for that, especially if the price difference is small.

I'd stick with PP and being free! You still get all the great perks of being on property, but can put that money to other use!...But, I do not hesitate to stay at Paradise Pier!!!
...I was told that it's the 'least Disney' of the three.....and, furthest from the entrance.

Another vote for DLH! My favorite on property at DLR. I prefer the rooms and quick service/table service options. GCH is great for the convenience factor, but I don’t mind walking through DTD or catching the monorail into Tomorrowland.

Another vote for DLH! My favorite on property at DLR. I prefer the rooms and quick service/table service options. GCH is great for the convenience factor, but I don’t mind walking through DTD or catching the monorail into Tomorrowland.
....where would you catch it from? [newbie here]

....where would you catch it from? [newbie here]

Oh sorry! The station is basically on the other side of security once you head into DTD. It’s actually right next to the now empty Rainforest Cafe on the left which you won’t be able to miss.

If it is truly not much more, I would go with DLH. The new menu and remodel at Tangaroa Terrance and Trader Sam's are so much fun and romantic if going without kiddos. You can get a Dole Whip right at the hotel too, you can't beat that. I also preferred the shorter walk in the mornings. The rooms have whimsy, Disney bubble magic with the headboards that have lights and fireworks/music, and Mickey's hands holding the bathroom lights. BUT if money is no object, I have heard that the GC is amazing...I haven't been but it's definitely going to happen some day!

Oh sorry! The station is basically on the other side of security once you head into DTD. It’s actually right next to the now empty Rainforest Cafe on the left which you won’t be able to miss.

Using the monorail was sooo convenient during our stay at the DLH. I vote for the DLH over PP but GCH over them both. We spend a lot of time on the DCA side so the Grand offers that little extra in any of convenience.. TBH either way you cant go wrong.

...I was told that it's the 'least Disney' of the three.

As a regular of all three, I would actually argue that GCH is the least "Disney" of all three resort hotels...but it is amazing in its own right. PPH has great themeing and Disney feel.

...okay, assuming $$ is not an issue, may I ask why? :rolleyes:

Proximity. That is one of my high priorities. PPH is a bit more of a walk and while you are still in the Disney "Bubble", it feel like you re just on the outskirts. Proximity to DTD and the DLH coffee shops is also nicer...someone can just run down and grab some coffee or something while others are getting ready vs having wait to plan your departure with less amenities available at the PPH. I will still take the PPH hands down over staying off site still, but prefer the GCH then then DLH over PPH.

If you can use your Points and stay for free and nothing out of pocket, than stay with PPH! Sounds like the pool and other amenities aren't a focus this trip so PPH will be just fine!

Walking distance is only a 5 min difference. I prefer the DLH, but that is more my own issues. PPH is nice and has the largest rooms of the 3.

Between the two, I would pick DLH because of not seeing traffic, especially in the morning. We enjoyed our stay at PPH, except for the elevators, and seeing traffic walking to and from the parks. This was when we were able to use the shortcut through the GCH to the parks.

I have stayed at both, our stay at the DLH was earlier this week, and I like them both, but the DLH is just hands down the better experience, imo. If it's not a huge amount extra for you, I'd go with the DLH, but you'll have a great time at PPH if you decide to keep it free, also.

For me, the DLH hotel seemed more "Walt" and Disney in general.

We are currently at DLH. This is our 3rd stay but we have stayed at PPH and GCH numerous times. PPH being our default pick.

With our current experience right now my vote is PPH. I was disappointed with our first and current stay at DLH. Our second stay 2 years ago was great. This time, not so much.

We book standard and the rooms have all been different. I thought it was a tower difference but not I’m not sure. Our room right now is rather small and dark. It’s rather cramped being only 2 beds long. No couch or table. No sitting chair. Our room during our our second stay was quite huge.

Location at DLH is nice. It’s cute and themed. Easy access to Tangoroa/Trader Sam’s. But I honestly don’t mind/care about the walking distance from the park. AND as we left California Adventure tonight, we didn’t cut through Grand California Hotel since wed have to go through another round of security to get back into Downtown Disney. So we had to circle back to the entrance. This making it longer. (I’ll add that it’s raining this weekend)

PPH is predictable hotel room layout. Consistent in size. You basically have 2 rooms. Park facing or sunset. Premium rooms, you are higher. But you can chance it and possibly get a higher room. But even the lower room is just fine. The rooms are larger and bright. The only room I didn’t like was pool level. (Smells like chlorine) other than that the view rooms are fantastic. I’ve watched the fireworks and world of color numerous times from the room.

They also give you 2 bottles of water in the room. This is new but we’ve had it at all of our stays recently. And if you really want to look at cost savings, we always valet at GCH and DLH but at PPH, there’s no need. Parking is right behind the hotel. There are actually more toiletries too. It’s not much but I noticed the other hotels didn’t offer a q-tip/cotton pack. I don’t know if this is just a Pixar Pier promo. But it’s a nice touch. (GCH USED to give sun burn gel and foot lotion but I haven’t seen it lately). There’s a Pixar ball in the room that’s just adorable. In addition to being big and bright, there’s plenty of lighting.

Our current DLH room consist of 2 lights. One on the desk and side table. And an overhead ambience one over the tv console. There are bedside reading lights but it doesn’t help light up the room. And if the bathroom is closed, the closet is in the dark. (DTD facing room at the Adventureland Tower)

For reference, the past 12 months we’ve stayed at PPH 3 times, GCH during fall dapper day and DLH this weekend. And 2 of those PPH stays we’ve gotten a free surprise upgrade.

Last edited:
We are currently at DLH. This is our 3rd stay but we have stayed at PPH and GCH numerous times. PPH being our default pick.

With our current experience right now my vote is PPH. I was disappointed with our first and current stay at DLH. Our second stay 2 years ago was great. This time, not so much.

We book standard and the rooms have all been different. I thought it was a tower difference but not I’m not sure. Our room right now is rather small and dark. It’s rather cramped being only 2 beds long. No couch or table. No sitting chair. Our room during our our second stay was quite huge.

Location at DLH is nice. It’s cute and themed. Easy access to Tangoroa/Trader Sam’s. But I honestly don’t mind/care about the walking distance from the park. AND as we left California Adventure tonight, we didn’t cut through Grand California Hotel since wed have to go through another round of security to get back into Downtown Disney. So we had to circle back to the entrance. This making it longer. (I’ll add that it’s raining this weekend)

PPH is predictable hotel room layout. Consistent in size. You basically have 2 rooms. Park facing or sunset. Premium rooms, you are higher. But you can chance it and possibly get a higher room. But even the lower room is just fine. The rooms are larger and bright. The only room I didn’t like was pool level. (Smells like chlorine) other than that the view rooms are fantastic. I’ve watched the fireworks and world of color numerous times from the room.

They also give you 2 bottles of water in the room. This is new but we’ve had it at all of our stays recently. And if you really want to look at cost savings, we always valet at GCH and DLH but at PPH, there’s no need. Parking is right behind the hotel. There are actually more toiletries too. It’s not much but I noticed the other hotels didn’t offer a q-tip/cotton pack. I don’t know if this is just a Pixar Pier promo. But it’s a nice touch. (GCH USED to give sun burn gel and foot lotion but I haven’t seen it lately). There’s a Pixar ball in the room that’s just adorable. In addition to being big and bright, there’s plenty of lighting.

Our current DLH room consist of 2 lights. One on the desk and side table. And an overhead ambience one over the tv console. There are bedside reading lights but it doesn’t help light up the room. And if the bathroom is closed, the closet is in the dark. (DTD facing room at the Adventureland Tower)

For reference, the past 12 months we’ve stayed at PPH 3 times, GCH during fall dapper day and DLH this weekend. And 2 of those PPH stays we’ve gotten a free surprise upgrade.
I thinking Perhaps our great second stay at DLH was possibly a premium view. Even though we had a partial view of the pool being on the 4th floor of the Adventureland Tower. With DLH you Just have to book a better room and we just got lucky that one time. I will only stay at DLH again for the pool and premium room. But PPH and GCH will be my usual choice.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter