I'm Not Really Harry Potter, But I AM the Rebel Spy! Oct 2016 TR *COMPLETE + New TR Link 8/6

As I was walking back to meet them after my ride, I ended up helping out a frazzled looking mom whose toddler was having an EPIC meltdown. She was trying to get the little girl into the stroller, but the little girl was fighting and stiffening herself out, so the stroller just kept rolling backwards away from the mom. I held the stroller steady for her until she could get the little girl in, and told her I hoped she had a better rest of the day! Looked like it was naptime for them…

That was sweet of you to help! I see that sort of thing and never really know what to do, so it was nice you had an opportunity to help out by stopping the stroller

So cute, love seeing that smile!

After the Teacups

Loved the photos on the teacups too :) Such a classic ride

We decided to go do the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, which is not something we do often.

I have to admit, Aria has not been to the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. In all her visits! I haven't been since maybe 2010!

Hahaha cool dude!

It was just too long to wait around at the TTC to see Wishes. Once we got back to the room, we took quick baths, got the kids to bed, and got ourselves ready and into bed by the time Wishes would have just been starting!

Sounds like a decision I'd make - have you been to the room at Bonnet Creek that's set aside for fireworks viewing? That is sad about Wishes going away, Andrew was NOT happy to hear that, so I am really hoping they do an amazing job with the new show.

So excited I found a new trip report for you! Your family is adorable and I love reading about your adventures!

We were in MK that night as well, it was very busy. I love the People Mover and Mickey's Philharmagic, two of my faves. We saw Wishes for the last time last week, my daughter cried, it is her favorite show. We will miss it for sure.

I remember how much you loved Italy the first time around. It really came through in your ABD trip report. I haven't even been once yet and already have a tentative date for a second trip this summer.
We aren't sure when we want to go on a cruise, yet. Alex's DEROS (basically his departure date) for here is in May, so on one hand we figured we would take vacation leave in route to our new base. That would give us time to let all our stuff make its way across the ocean; however, the school years here usually run until beginning of June. So there's a possibility the kids and I will have to stay back to let Landon finish out his school. If that's the case, then we'd probably end up going around the end of June time frame. I hate going in the middle of the summer when it's the busiest and most expensive, but that's probably what it'll end up being for us.
What about you guys? When are you thinking of going?

That would be a good plan to let your stuff travel home while taking a cruise! However it ends up, I'm sure it'll work out great for y'all. Anytime is a good time for a Disney cruise!! Mardi Gras falls on March 5th in 2019, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that something falls on that weekend before to depart. We are looking at either a 5 or 7 night cruise. We'll be kind of limited to when we can leave, so that will narrow our choices of ships and itineraries quite a bit. Still so long to wait for the dates to be released though, so we've been biding our time by doing tons of research since I have never cruised before at all, and DH has never cruised Disney.

It's great when they are still young enough to eat off everyone else's plates.

SO great, especially when she loves to eat so much!!

Ahh, the stiff board move. That's a popular one. I'm sure that mom really appreciated the extra help.

Oh, I know, I just felt so bad for her. She looked totally frazzled and frustrated. Been there, done that!

That was probably for the best. The kids were more than likely better off with the extra rest. However, that does stink that you missed Wishes not knowing it was about to go away. I wish Disney had given us more warning that it was ending so folks could figure out a quick trip to see it one last time. (Not that I could have managed that, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who could have swung it.)

It was a great idea at the time, but kind of sad now thinking about it that we missed one last chance to see Wishes. I totally agree, we needed more time to plan a last trip to see it! Kind of impossible for us right now. Talking about it with DH recently, our last time to see it was pretty great though since we did the dessert party in July and got the roped off garden viewing area to spread out and watch from, instead of worrying about if the kids were too tired, will it be too loud, will it be impossible to get out of the park, etc.

Jumping on board for my first of your TRs! (I'm loving your family and your writing style, so I may just need to go back and binge a few of your older TRs at some point, too...) I love your DH's awesome photos of the parks and your beautiful family! Thank goodness this trip could happen, despite the issues leading up to it.

Welcome!! And thank you so much for the kind words.

We're also sad about not getting back to see Wishes again before it leaves. Sorry you missed out on seeing it that night, but it probably worked out well that you got the sleepy little ones out of the park before the crowds. We saw Holiday Wishes on our last trip in December, which I love, but I'll miss the original version so much. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be into the new nighttime show just as much once I get used to it.

I will miss Wishes like crazy!! It's so iconic, and such a perfect way to end a day in the most magical place on earth. I hope the new version will be great, but it's going to be so hard to top something as amazing as Wishes.

Cute family photos (both at AK and MK)!

DD looks like she enjoyed her time at the dig site!

DH got some awesome shots wil on Everest!

You guys did a lot of attractions when at MK. It's nice that even when it's crowded, there are still those certain rides you know you can do that won't have a long wait!

I'm sorry you didn't get to see Wishes :( I'm sure you wish you had known then that they would be taking it away!

She definitely enjoyed getting into the dig site and going to town. Now she LOVES playing outside, so I'm sure on our next trip she will appreciate the boneyard even more!

We have gotten so used to going during party season that we have come to learn all of the things we can accomplish on those packed non party nights at MK. We hate just wandering around aimlessly, especially with the kids in tow! It's a little easier to just soak up some atmosphere with just the two of us, but DS wants to be DOING something.

Oh yeah, looking back it was a real bummer that we didn't try harder to make time for it in October. But we had a pretty awesome last viewing of it with the dessert party in July, so not a total loss.

Following along! We were there the same week! I remember the same panic when the hurricane hit, but we flew in the 9th so we just missed it.

Be glad you skipped the parade and Wishes that night! We were at MK too, and trying to leave after Wishes was a total mess. It was a human traffic jam and we were all tired.

Welcome! I'm glad you missed out on the hurricane too. It made the days when you're normally so excited about your upcoming trip into nothing but stress!!

Oh man, that's what I figured it would be like with all the people there for the last night of MSEP. Definitely thinking we made the right decision!!

Wow!!! Looks like a lot of fun times coming up! I keep thinking about how/when we can do Disneyland again. While it is more cost prohibitive for us and I looked at it as a one time only type deal when we went, I keep getting the urge to return. The US trip looks like a fun idea too. I totally understand leaving DD home and I really think that's the best way to go. While they have some amazing attractions, Universal has just done a bad job of being relevant to the whole family in the way that Disney is.

And the cruise! It sounds amazing. I wish I could go, but I couldn't believe it when I heard them announce the price. That's a great deal and I'm glad that you're going to be able to take advantage of it. That is definitely a TR that I want to see!

Disneyland definitely has a pull to it. Every time we leave, we can't wait to go back, and we usually don't have an idea of when that will be, so it makes leaving even more depressing. The three of us love Universal, but it will be a couple years before DD can really appreciate anything, so one last hurrah for awhile seems like a good way to go about it.

I can't wait for the cruise!! I couldn't believe it was actually affordable! Because when John & Kevin (or Pete) say a price is great...well, usually their idea of "great" is a bit more than ours. lol But this time it actually IS great!

I've heard of this, but I can't recall having ever seen it either?

I'm glad it's not just me!!

It's great when they're in the stage where they can feed themselves and don't need to buy a whole meal for them! We usually take some pre-packaged kids' meals that we can throw in the bag. Cheap and easy.

I so wish DD liked those little Gerber toddler meals still, but she absolutely refuses to eat them. They would be SO easy to bring with us on vacation! That's what we did with DS at that age. Of course, she has to make things more complicated. lol

This was a great plan... doing this, Monsters, peoplemover and COP... some of the attractions that I always put off doing until late in the trip because I know we can always do them whenever we want if it is too crowded to do other things.

The first few trips we went during Halloween party times, we spent our MK evenings on non party nights walking around from one attraction to the next and finding long waits, so we finally caught on to doing more of the low-key attractions!

But was he constantly repeating bad jokes he learned there for the next year or 2? :rolleyes :faint:

In any case, I'm glad it was a hit!

If there's anything DS loves, it's a good cheesy joke! lol

:sad2: I'm sorry you missed out on that opportunity. You made what seems to be the right choice at the time, but who'd have thought Wishes was on the chopping block?

Right?! Never ever would have guessed that Wishes would be going away anytime soon!

That was sweet of you to help! I see that sort of thing and never really know what to do, so it was nice you had an opportunity to help out by stopping the stroller

I know, it was nice to be able to offer more than just an understanding smile. Poor lady looked so frazzled!

So cute, love seeing that smile!

She was definitely enjoying the dig site!

Loved the photos on the teacups too :) Such a classic ride

It really is. I'm looking forward to riding in Disneyland soon. I love the open air area there with the lanterns.

I have to admit, Aria has not been to the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. In all her visits! I haven't been since maybe 2010!

I think we had done it only once before with DS, but he was too little to remember or understand any of it to find it funny. Even though I'm sure he didn't get all of the jokes, there was more of it he could appreciate this time around.

Sounds like a decision I'd make - have you been to the room at Bonnet Creek that's set aside for fireworks viewing? That is sad about Wishes going away, Andrew was NOT happy to hear that, so I am really hoping they do an amazing job with the new show.

We have done the fireworks viewing room in the main building once before when we had a room there, but haven't since. We used to get fireworks view rooms so easily when we first started staying there, but now so many people request it that it's difficult to get.

I really hope the new show is a good replacement for Wishes, but I keep hearing it's going to be projection heavy and not many fireworks, which doesn't leave me too optimistic.

So excited I found a new trip report for you! Your family is adorable and I love reading about your adventures!

Glad you found me!! Thanks so much!

We were in MK that night as well, it was very busy. I love the People Mover and Mickey's Philharmagic, two of my faves. We saw Wishes for the last time last week, my daughter cried, it is her favorite show. We will miss it for sure.

It was definitely poor planning on my part with it being the last night for MSEP! I'm sure that didn't make what would have been an already busy night any better, that's for sure.

I'm going to really miss Wishes! I can't believe they are ditching it. :(

I'm finally making it over from your other TRs!

We decided to go do the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, which is not something we do often.
We all really enjoyed doing this show! DS was laughing hysterically, and I’m not even sure he got all of the jokes, but seeing him laugh so hard made me laugh even harder.
I've never done it. Most of what I have read has been positive. For some reason it has just never appealed to me that much. But probably something I should try sometime.

We started off towards Main Street, anticipating that it would take us awhile to navigate around the crowds of people watching MSEP. We realized we had probably made a mistake coming to MK this evening because it was the very last MSEP before it made the move to Disneyland, so Main Street was packed!
Oops. Yes, I imiagone that would make it pretty busy. How interesting that you were there on that night. I really enjoyed MSEP. Now I have to plan a trip to Disneyland!

At the time, we thought this was a great victory. But now with the news of Wishes leaving before our next trip, and knowing we could have seen it this night but didn't, is really depressing!
You just never know theses days. It seems they are always closing things and changing shows. I know things have to change over time, but it seems like the frequency of changes keeps increasing. I don't always understand the reasons behind it ether. The last head scratcher was the closing of Starring Rolls in DHS. It always seemed like a popular little spot and busy. I can't see how closing it is any benefit, except driving more people into $ixbucks I guess.

I'm finally making it over from your other TRs!

Glad ya made it!

I've never done it. Most of what I have read has been positive. For some reason it has just never appealed to me that much. But probably something I should try sometime.

We don't do it often, but every time we do, we realize we should rotate it into our attractions more often because it's really entertaining.

Oops. Yes, I imiagone that would make it pretty busy. How interesting that you were there on that night. I really enjoyed MSEP. Now I have to plan a trip to Disneyland!

It was a FACEPALM moment for sure when we realized it! lol We'll be seeing it in Disneyland in a couple of months, but I am really disappointed we are missing the relaunch of Paint the Night for the summer by just a few days. We still haven't seen it!

You just never know theses days. It seems they are always closing things and changing shows. I know things have to change over time, but it seems like the frequency of changes keeps increasing. I don't always understand the reasons behind it ether. The last head scratcher was the closing of Starring Rolls in DHS. It always seemed like a popular little spot and busy. I can't see how closing it is any benefit, except driving more people into $ixbucks I guess.

You are totally right. It seems like things are going away left and right with not very many new things coming in.

Day 3: Monday October 10th

We got up Monday morning around 6:45 am after listening to DD coughing for about an hour. It never fails, one of our kids always goes into coughing fits at night when we go to Disney World!

We got ready and had breakfast in the room, leaving the resort around 8 am to get to DHS for the morning. Instead of the old opening they had done for a while that we really liked where they would start letting people in around 8:45 to 8:50 and let people start trickling into the park, they had gone back to holding everyone back with a rope near the Starbucks location. That was disappointing, as it seems to make that stampede effect over to TSM even worse.

We got over to TSM without being trampled and made it on to the ride by a little after 9 am.

We were directed over to the new loading platform this time, which was DS’s first time seeing it. He thought it was pretty cool!

DS and DH rode together on one side, and I rode with DD on my lap, but my gun was not shooting correctly. It wasn’t aiming properly. So I’d be pointing it forward, but it would be shooting off to the side on the screen. Eventually, I just quit playing and finished the ride.

Oct 2016 03-006
by disneymom1024, on Flickr
DH & DS’s scores

As we got off the ride, I alerted the CM just so they could take that one out of service and no one else would be stuck with a wonky gun. The CM apologized and asked if we wanted to ride again, and I tried to say it was okay and I just wanted them to know about the broken gun, but the CM insisted. So we waited off to the side for the next few groups to come off and they let us right back on!

This time, DS and I rode together, and it was a lot more fun with both guns working properly!

After our second ride, we went over to try out something new to us: the new Mickey & Minnie meet and greet area.

The wait wasn’t bad at all that early in the morning, which was kind of what we had been banking on. There were a handful of groups in line already outside, because I don’t think they had opened just yet. And at least one family, once finding out it was a meet and greet instead of a ride, bailed before we were even let in.

After a few minutes of waiting, the CM let us inside, where we got to check out some of the magical movie posters. They are similar to the ones in the queue to meet talking Mickey at MK.

In no time, we were ready to meet the fabulous Minnie, all dolled up for the red carpet!

Oct 2016 03-012

Oct 2016 03-013

Oct 2016 03-014
Not sure what is happening here, but DS made me laugh!

Oct 2016 03-015
DD was not scared, but also not really impressed. Lol
A few Photopass pictures…

STUDIO_CELEBRITYBCHAR_20161010_393060828906

STUDIO_CELEBRITYBCHAR_20161010_393057145194

STUDIO_CELEBRITYBCHAR_20161010_393056981315
After meeting Minnie, we waited just a few minutes in another hallway with more movie posters to check out until it was our turn to meet Mickey.

Very soon, it was our turn to meet Mickey!

And Photopass too…

The props around the area were pretty cool.

Oct 2016 03-025

Oct 2016 03-027
One more hug for the road.

Oct 2016 03-028
Hey there, hi there, ho there!
It was a very fun meet! I loved the sets they had for each of them, and that you could wait in one line for both characters. Hopefully they keep this one around for awhile! I was sad to see Minnie’s old dressing room meet and greet area go, but this one is just as cute.

Continued in next post...

Day 3 Continued: Monday October 10th

After our meet, we walked over and did the Muppets 3D show.

I got DS to check for the key under the mat. He wasn’t as impressed as I thought he would be. Lol

I guess DH was looking around at some of the details while the rest of us enjoyed the pre-show.

After the show, DD was starting to show signs of being tired. DH volunteered to walk her around in the stroller while DS and I went to use our FPs at Great Movie Ride.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Meanwhile, DH had been making laps over to the side of the Indiana Jones show to get DD to nap.

We met up at the Backlot Express to have some lunch, while DD continued to snooze in the stroller. DS was fascinated by the sinks in the back that looked like they are full of water.

Untitled

We had a nice lunch, and DD stayed asleep the whole time. After we were done eating, it was time to head to a galaxy far, far away...

UP NEXT: Don't Underestimate My Power. I Want That Spy!

Khertz, really like the photos and overall trip report! Could you tell me what backpack, tripod and camera sling your husband was usng on this trip? They look like perfect size for travel. Thank you in advance and look forward to reading the rest, as we are planning to go this October!

Khertz, really like the photos and overall trip report! Could you tell me what backpack, tripod and camera sling your husband was usng on this trip? They look like perfect size for travel. Thank you in advance and look forward to reading the rest, as we are planning to go this October!

I'll have to tag my husband on this one to explain his equipment @DDuck4Life i should really get him to put together a list of that info to add into the intro of every tr because that question comes up a lot!!!

Thanks for joining in :)

Sounds like a pretty productive morning. The pictures with Minnie and Mickey are too cute! :)

I always seemed to surprise myself with how much we could get done with 2 little ones.

Thank you! I loved the new meet area and how these photos came out. It was a fun meet.

That was nice of the CM to let you ride Toy Story again, it gave you a chance to ride with DS!

Love the pics with Mickey & Minnie! It's great that you only have to wait in one line to meet them both there.

I've never seen those sinks before, cool!!

. So I’d be pointing it forward, but it would be shooting off to the side on the screen. Eventually, I just quit playing and finished the ride.

That's annoying - I was going to say I hope you mentioned it to a CM and they let you ride again or gave you a FP...

As we got off the ride, I alerted the CM just so they could take that one out of service and no one else would be stuck with a wonky gun. The CM apologized and asked if we wanted to ride again, and I tried to say it was okay and I just wanted them to know about the broken gun, but the CM insisted. So we waited off to the side for the next few groups to come off and they let us right back on!

But then you went on to say this lol! That's great :)

In December I looked for the new meet & greet location briefly (ie. I didn't give it much more effort than walking past the old Sorcerer Mickey meet near TSMM, remember he'd moved, and then forgetting to look where he was now lol). What a cool place!! Def going on my to-do list for June :)

hile DS and I went to use our FPs at Great Movie Ride.

So he is too afraid to ride BTMRR but enjoys this?? LOL Aria is terrified of this ride, but loves BTMRR. Go figure!

That's a pretty nice M&G, that's for sure! We don't even do M&G anymore since DD hates them now. (She hates most things - darn surly teenager.)

We haven't seen muppets 3-D in AGES. We were going to last trip, but ended up not having time. Maybe sometime this year.

It's a shame your son didn't have his Sorcerer Mickey hat on for the pictures with him. I know he often wears it in the parks.

It was so nice of the cast member to let you ride Toy Story again. A little unexpected pixie dust is so nice.

It was a very fun meet! I loved the sets they had for each of them, and that you could wait in one line for both characters. Hopefully they keep this one around for awhile! I was sad to see Minnie’s old dressing room meet and greet area go, but this one is just as cute.
The sets look great, especially Mickey's. Love the Yensid reference in the spell book. If I'm being honest, I'm not a big fan of Minnie's outfit though. Not to ruin any magic here, but when you look at her bare arms, you can see stitching in the black on her shoulders. I know that's being very picky, but I've noticed it before.

We met up at the Backlot Express to have some lunch, while DD continued to snooze in the stroller. DS was fascinated by the sinks in the back that looked like they are full of water.
Backlot Express is a place I have never been, but I've read it's generally decent, for standard quick service food. Those sinks do look like fun, I can imagine my youngest DD getting a kick out of them. What is the theming there? I guess it's some kind of workers change room or something?

I got DS to check for the key under the mat. He wasn’t as impressed as I thought he would be. Lol
I didn't know about the key on our last trip. I would love to show this to DD. I expect she may have the same reaction as your son. I think I would get a bigger laugh out of it because I'm such a Muppets fan.

@kevandliz I always love talking gear and this is the equipment I use and bring on every trip.

https://www.pinterest.com/dduck4life/my-camera-gear/

The backpack I use is the Lowepro Flipside 300. I really like that it is a backpack and not a sling bag that only goes over 1 shoulder. Since I'm usually packing a ton of gear I like to have it distributed over both shoulders and the other thing I like and why I bought it for all my travels is the zippers are against your back. There are no zippers on the back that anyone behind you or bumping into you could unzip and take anything out.

For Tripod I have Oben AT-3420 but it's not for sale anymore. When bringing something to the parks or just having to walk around with it all day I wanted something that was light but also tall. I know a lot of Disney photographers that use a tripod from the mephoto line. Roadtrip seems to be the most popular along with the Globetrotter.

The sling I use is the OP/TECH USA Utility Strap. But there are several brands like this one that mimic the black rapid strap design for the a fraction of the price. There is also this one that I like Fotasy NSQF Anti-Slip Sling Neck Strap. https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-NSQF-...lo-20&linkId=7ea82b79700a7c4440efa6b35be65fc2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter