"I'm NEVER going back! "

Coworker, knowing that I make annual childless trips, once said: "How old is too old to go to Disney World without kids?"

Needless to say, there is now a shallow grave behind the parking lot.

NEVER.:rolleyes1:rolleyes1
How shallow is the grave and did you bash said coworker over the head with Mickey Mouse?

I always say it's my money and my dang vacation. I will go where I dang well please. Also its different strokes for different folks. I know people who go and spend a week at some small house on the beach. They tell me what they do and I get bored by the description alone.

Why does going to Disney have such a stigma? Geez. :mad:

I do wonder how some of you are doing Disney for only $2000 or so. For our small family of 3 airfare alone is at least $1000. If we drove it would be 16 hrs each way and a total of over $700 in gas so flying is a no brainer. Tickets for the 3 of us is another $1000 (8 day parkhoppers). So we are at $2000 already and still need a place to sleep and food to eat. We are doing the DDP but I figure if we went OOP we could save a little but it would be close to a wash so there is another $900. We are renting points to stay at AKV but that cost isn't significantly more than staying at the All Star resorts for a much better place to stay. So we easily will be spending over $4000 and that's not counting PhotoPass+ or souvenirs.

And this includes planning ahead, looking for discounts and no wasted spending.

Props to those that can do it for half that but I simply can't figure out how you can unless you have APs and living within 8 hrs driving distance or have free airline miles for tickets.

Do love the stories of those friends and family that are doing WDW wrong and then complain about it though. :rotfl2:

Lorilais_mommie said:
bleeps said:
1. It would seem (and stand to reason) that the more you wave the "I am here and I am interested in booking a WDW vacation," the more likely they will "see" you (have you in their system)

Yeah, it's funny how WDW brings out a kind of weird objection in people when you go regularly. No one seems to question the families who "go to the lake" every summer, or whatever. We go because they won't bring it to us, and that's really all there is to it!

1. Stealing that along with Robo's comment! ;-)

2. So true!! And I bet they spend just as much..

Or how about b-day gifts/parties??!?!

This year we are going to WDW in place of..
-Xmas gifts for DH and I
-Anniversary gifts
-Vday gifts
-And b-day gift and party for our DD(6), (she was given the choice)

But no matter how hard I try to point out, that we Skimp and save people think we are RICH! B/c we go to disney so much!

I also wanted to say we also use our tax refund... And any extra money we did not plan on getting,,
That's how we pay for our trips.. No extra OOP, we just give up.. Parties, gifts, and other smaller trips..
And we skip entertainment ( movies, disney on ice, and other things like that)

Does that make us rich.. Heck NO!
I just think it we say "Do you want to go to the movies or to WDW?"

Hey I just booked a last minute trip for 3/16/13.We are two adults in our 50's.People think I am crazy as my job is a family child care provider .I take care of 6 children 5 and under in my home.When our 4 children were small we went 4 times.It was fun but could be stressful.Last time I went 2010 my husband and I stayed at polynesion.I rented him a scooter (he has some trouble walking)and we made reservations for differant resteraunts.It was fun,last year Iwent to the ocean .I spent most of my time reading on the deck and we ended up going to the same resteraunts more than once.It is great when you can prepay (dining plan) for meals and plan ahead.I am looking forward to each park and enjoying the resort ,downtown disney and maybe seaworld. Some people just shake there heads and laugh at me but each to his own. Nan

I had a similar situation when a bartender noticed my Disney key chain and declared that was the worst place they had ever been and would never go again. They spent $10,000.00 and they had a horrible time.

First off, they booked the most expensive place to stay and one of the most expensive levels. I said, you know, they have different levels of resorts - you didn't have to go all out the first time. They wanted to "make it a trip of a lifetime." I said that is what happened, you made it a trip you could only afford to go once in a lifetime, already setting it up for failure."

Second, they flew and took ME and arrived at 2:30 pm. At 3:00 pm, their luggage hadn't arrived yet and the woman stormed down to the front desk to demand their luggage for the entire family. She said the TA told her the bags would be there by 3 pm. I told her she might have misunderstood; it is actually three hours. She said that is what the front desk clerk said; but she didn't believe it and expected to speak to the manager.

She needed her luggage right away, because WHY - she left her anti-seizure medication in her checked baggage. Seriously, what happens if the airline had lost your luggage - she was appalled that an airline would be stupid enough to lose your luggage.

Anyway, the manager whisked into action, found a CM to go down and found their luggage (all of it) in the luggage bay and whisked it upstairs, about 45 minutes later, which she also found appalling. She couldn't see how it could take so long, because it was already supposed to be there at 3 pm.

I reminded her that they dispatched someone who was busy delivering luggage to people who had waited 3 hours for it and they should be grateful they got it because of HER mistake.

I also reminded her that if they couldn't find her luggage right away or the airline had lost it, Disney would go above and beyond to get her to a place where she could get the replacement medication that she so stupidly placed in her checked baggage.

Here is the kicker; she told me that cannot be true; they must have known they made a huge mistake because the next day, they so rudely tried to make it up to them by sending over monogrammed ears for each of the kids and the slipper dessert - but she wasn't buying it in the least. Of course, I explained to her about Disney magic.

To her, it was the worst place they have ever been and will never go back.

OMG.....

I wouldn't call myself a Disney expert like many on here but, we have taken three trips and I have done extensive research on each of those trips.
I read books, I read forums and I make sure I know in detail about the parks and restaurants.

My husband's co-worker knows we have taken a few Disney vacations in the last few years so, he asked for advice from my husband. My husband in turn gave me his email address and asked me to email him some useful information as my husband doesn't really know much about Disney details as I have always been the one that has done all the planning.
I sat down and started writing and ending up writing him an email with all the little things I felt he needed to know to plan his trip.
A couple days later my husband came home from the office and said... "**** thanks for you for all the help but, they have changed their mind about going". I was curious as to why they changed their minds and he said **** told him that my email intimidated him and they didn't want to do that much planning for "just a vacation". lol

I felt sort of bad about it but, the truth is you do need to know alot to do Disney right and have a great time. They were also planning to go in July so, the extra planning would have been even more important.

I have no doubt that EVERY place that woman goes becomes the
"worst place they have ever been."

And, that everyone who has dealt with her remembers the experience, as well.

I have no doubt that EVERY place that woman goes becomes the
"worst place they have ever been."

And, that everyone who has dealt with her remembers the experience, as well.

You nailed it Robo! :thumbsup2

Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading that post.

I also wanted to say we also use our tax refund... And any extra money we did not plan on getting,,
That's how we pay for our trips.. No extra OOP, we just give up.. Parties, gifts, and other smaller trips..
And we skip entertainment ( movies, disney on ice, and other things like that)

Does that make us rich.. Heck NO!
I just think it we say "Do you want to go to the movies or to WDW?"

Yes, ditto to this! We save our change & never spend it, it all goes into a large 5-gal water jug until we are well into the planning stage. DD was trained for this easily... even at age 3/4 whenever she would hear change jungle in DH's pocket she'd demand that he hand over his "Disney Fund" as she called it.

We also save our Disney reward points for as long as possible & let them keep building. They cover a lot after 4-5 years.

We always do at least one small garage sale before we go for some pocket cash. We always net more than we expect to.

Once we've committed to Disney we always buy AP (we live 3 hrs away) so we spend months forgoing all kinds of entertainment; $5 pizzas, McDonalds, the movies, skating, expensive dinners out, etc. When the girls ask for something I tell them, "Don't ask me to spend $ on anything that doesn't have Disney in the name/title". Once we have AP, a day in the park cost me about the same as taking the kids to the beach, lunch & the movies with popcorn so it's a no-brainer. I'd rather have 2-3 park days each quarter (& the weekend away!) vs. nickle & diming our entertainment budget over McNuggets & overpriced movie tickets. JMHO. ;)

This thread had me cracking up the entire time I read it. On our neighborhood web forum DW and I are known as the local Disney Gurus and anytime a question about Disney or planning a WDW vacation pops up they are usually directed to us. As agents through my mothers travel agency we have met with several neighbors over the past few years and meticulously planned vacations at WDW for them and their families.... some as large as 12-16 people. The comments in this thread I have heard over and over again from clients who have not taken our advice.

Client: The parks were hot and/or crowded.
Me: When did you go down?
Client: Pick a time when school is out.... (Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring Break)
Me: WDW was crowded during ______? I'm shocked.

Client: It took us over an hour to get from the parks to our hotel?
Me: Where did you stay?
Client: We found a 3 or 4 BR condo off property for less than a value resort.
Me: Yeah, WDW buses only run to WDW resorts from the parks.
Client: We had to walk over a mile each way from Downtown Disney to our hotel.
Me: Pretty sure I covered that in the presentation.... :teacher:

Client: Everything was soooo expensive.
Me: Again, You planned your vacation during peak season when WDW jacks up the prices of everything. Next time try to off season when the parks are empty and the prices are lower.
Client: But the kids are in school during those times.
Me: WDW is an educational facility and offers classes through the YES Program. Contact your local BOE to get an educational waiver and then their time away from school doesn't count against them.
Client: But we really want to go during summer so the kids can swim.
Me: Seriously? It's central Florida. The temps don't exactly drop by 60 degrees the day after Labor Day.

Client: The Cast Members were rude.
Me: Well it's the middle of summer, 140 degrees in the Pluto outfit and they had to put up with you.... :eek:

On the other side the clients who have taken our advice have had a lovely time and booked several trips through us and recommended us to their friends.

I offered to help a good friend plan their DD's first trip last year but her eyes glazed over just hearing about all the options so we never made it into the actual planning.

They had a very mediocre time & missed TONS of stuff they should have easily been able to see. :confused3

Since they had unused days left on their passes, they decided to go over Christmas because, "it can't be as bad as you say..." I tired to tell them, we live 3 hrs away... wait for ANY better weekend!

So they went the day after Christmas & before they were even inside the parks I was already getting text messages about how "Unbelievable" and "Insane" the parking was & how she wished she had known just how bad it would be. :headache: :eek: :sad2: I literally laughed out loud but refused to respond!

Well I am a little different in that I really DON'T plan much park wise. I've never done the ADRs and we always go in June (due to school) however I've never had a bad time. I just find it hard to believe that you can :). I know that we have to go in Summer so I already know it will be hot and crowded... how could anyone be surprised at that lol.
I too get the "why do you spend so much money every year for Orlando" question. My husband started buying into the rhetoric and I was like if we enjoy this time with our kids and THIS is what we want to put our money towards there is nothing wrong with that so don't let negative people bring you into that thought process.They spend their money on things they feel are important its just not the same thing! These weeks are generally the most carefree, fun filled times we have as a family and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
This year we'll get to go in April and I know even if it's "spring break" busy we'll think we're almost there by ourselves compared to the summer lol.

We went on the off-season and the first day I said to DH, "If this is a low crowd day, I'd hate to see a high crowd day." Of course, that was the line to get in the park when, despite our best intentions, we didn't get there before RD. It turned out the crowds were higher than expected that day, so they kept the park open an extra hour. Once we got in the park it really wasn't that bad.

I had a similar situation when a bartender noticed my Disney key chain and declared that was the worst place they had ever been and would never go again. They spent $10,000.00 and they had a horrible time.

First off, they booked the most expensive place to stay and one of the most expensive levels. I said, you know, they have different levels of resorts - you didn't have to go all out the first time. They wanted to "make it a trip of a lifetime." I said that is what happened, you made it a trip you could only afford to go once in a lifetime, already setting it up for failure."

Second, they flew and took ME and arrived at 2:30 pm. At 3:00 pm, their luggage hadn't arrived yet and the woman stormed down to the front desk to demand their luggage for the entire family. She said the TA told her the bags would be there by 3 pm. I told her she might have misunderstood; it is actually three hours. She said that is what the front desk clerk said; but she didn't believe it and expected to speak to the manager.

She needed her luggage right away, because WHY - she left her anti-seizure medication in her checked baggage. Seriously, what happens if the airline had lost your luggage - she was appalled that an airline would be stupid enough to lose your luggage.

Anyway, the manager whisked into action, found a CM to go down and found their luggage (all of it) in the luggage bay and whisked it upstairs, about 45 minutes later, which she also found appalling. She couldn't see how it could take so long, because it was already supposed to be there at 3 pm.

I reminded her that they dispatched someone who was busy delivering luggage to people who had waited 3 hours for it and they should be grateful they got it because of HER mistake.

I also reminded her that if they couldn't find her luggage right away or the airline had lost it, Disney would go above and beyond to get her to a place where she could get the replacement medication that she so stupidly placed in her checked baggage.

Here is the kicker; she told me that cannot be true; they must have known they made a huge mistake because the next day, they so rudely tried to make it up to them by sending over monogrammed ears for each of the kids and the slipper dessert - but she wasn't buying it in the least. Of course, I explained to her about Disney magic.

OMG.....

I am speechless.:scared1:

I got into a discussion with a friend of mine regarding the fact that I like to go to WDW a lot. She said "Well of course YOU have a good time there, but not everyone can afford the fancy fastpasses and character meetings, you know". Me: ".....what?"

(Btw, she's not talking about Character Dining, she was under the impression that as well as paying for fastpasses and such, you also pay inside the parks to have your photo taken with characters.)

To the OP, you are hilarious and I love your writing style.

I'm with Robo - try to shut down any Disney conversation and just keep it to the stuff that makes you STAY friends. Deflect with "tell me where you are going on vacation now" and then monopolize the conversation so she doesn't bring down our beloved Disney.

But she doesn't get it and won't....Disney isn't for everyone. And it's one less person in the parks, yelling at Cast Members and generally having a bad time to muck up my next vacation. ;)

Hmm, anyone out there who has fantasies about becoming a travel agent because it would be "fun to help people" plan their Disney trip might want to read this thread very carefully! LOL. You know the old saying, " You can lead a horse to water..."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter