I'm an adult...may I post a question to you teens please?

I was raised to respect adults. Yes ma'am and No sir. No matter if you're not happy with an adult, you're always, always respectful towards them.

I never received an allowance as a child. I lived off of my birthday and christmas money. If my parents felt generous, they would sometimes give me $20 if I was heading to the mall, or $10 if I was heading to the movies. Heck, my mom will still give me money to go to the movies depending on who I'm going with. I've always been grateful to them for doing that for me. My parents were never the type to buy me a movie because I wanted it, though. If they thought I'd done something to earn a reward (like maybe straight A's on a report card) they might buy me a movie I wanted. It didn't happen everytime, and I was always excited when they did get me something I wanted. I did, and when I'm home still do, chores around the house as they were needed. I do the dishes, wash the windows, empty the litterbox, etc. If my mom asks me to do something, I do it as soon as I have time.

I do, however, have a job. The past two summer's I've been a nanny to two older children(they'll be 13 and 9 this year). I worked 4 days a week, from 10-5. Once I started working, I was expected to pay for just about everything myself. I'm currently applying for summer jobs because I know I need the money this summer to support my spending habits, and to put towards savings.

I was bought a car when I turned 16, and my parents do still pay for my gas. However, I'm usually driving my sister and her friends around, or running errands for my mom. If I feel like I'm going somewhere that's my own choosing and my mother would rather I not waste gas, I'll pay for it myself.

This year was my freshman year of college, and my first year working while being in school. I worked 10 hours a week, and paid for everything at school myself (metro money, going out to eat, birthday presents, etc.). I'm paying my way thought college, and I try to work hard.

My dad still pays my cell phone bill and my car insurance, but I'm very grateful he does. My mom and step-dad pay for my necessities (shampoo, toothpaste, etc.), and I'm very grateful that they pay for that.

I have, however, seen kids who were handed everything they ever wanted. I went to Catholic school, and many of the kids came from wealthy families (not all, but enough). Kids would be bought a coach purse just because they wanted it. I heard one girl in my class complain because her parents didn't buy her the car she wanted, but bought her something less expensive than she thought she deserved :scared1: It disgusted me to hear her upset when she'd been fortunate enough to receive a car.

So, to answer your question, I don't think all kids of my generation are disrespectful and expect everything to be handed to them. Yes, we have our moments, but I know I try my best to work hard and be respectful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter