Illuminations?

The Sybah Shelstah

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to make sure I make the most of this upcoming trip by actually having some things planned this time (since our last & first trip in the recent past was totally spur of the moment and with the kids/etc we weren't able to take in much other than rides and parades). I have made PS arrangements for Breakfastosaurus (since we never saw Donald Duck ONCE the entire time we were there on our last trip) and Fantasmic Dinner package.

Can anyone give me some hints on the BEST way to see Illuminations at Epcot? Are there any tricks of where are the best spots or places to eat that you can make PS arrangements that have good views of this/etc?

Please let me know! I believe that's the last thing on my list! (except maybe for Spectromagic at MK. hehe)

Seems like your doing a good job planning! Isn't it fun! I like the planning almost as much as the going!LOL

Since you did the afternoon parades last time, it's good you're planning the evening events. And since you're staying on site this time, you can easily take the kids back to the room for a nap/break so they can hold up.

Oh, you asked about Illuminations.:o This show at Epcot World Showcase goes off at 9pm every night. It's wonderful too. There are lots of places to see it from as it's shown in the middle of the lake. Everyone has their favorite spot, but to enjoy it during dinner, about the only places are either Rose & Crown in the United Kingdom pavillion or you can grab some food at the Mexico counter service and eat at a table by the lake.

Rose & Crown is a little tricky though, there aren't that many tables outside on the patio and they won't guarantee you a patio table...won't let you wait for one either anymore either I don't think. You could end up having to eat inside and miss the fireworks. I got lucky with an outside table once, but this year we grabbed a table in Mexico. You have to get there way early though and I'd say it would be hard for little ones to wait.

But, there's plenty of spots around the lake without dinning. Some places have trees so you have to watch that.

I'm going solo! This time no worries about the little ones. :)
Thanks for all the tips! It sounds like it's easy to see from a lot of areas (? let me know if I'm wrong about that) and won't be especially hard to find a place to watch it?
How long does it last, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks!

Oh and you are so right about the planning. Our last (and first) trip was such a spur of the moment thing there wasn't much planning. Just basically buying advance tickets and booking an offsite place to stay. Then we took off literally within days of the idea even hitting our brains! (because DH all the sudden was off for the holidays while my school aged children were also out of school and holiday plans were nil until we decided to go to WDW!)

This time I have a LITTLE (haha- not a whole lot though- because I'm going back so soon!) more time to plan things and you are right- I'm enjoying the planning! I am more of an organized type person rather than a fly-by-night type of person. I am trying to make sure I'm not doing this TOO "commando" type but a little.. since I'm going alone (unless a friend of mine can find a way to be able to go also) that will be okay if I'm a little commando-ish while there. :) Planning is fun!

Lucky you, going solo! I'd love to do that sometime! My granddaughter would be soooo mad at me though if I didn't take her too. She and I are both WDW nuts!

This is just a guess, but I'd say Illuminations lasts about 20-30 minutes. It's beautiful too!

We were lucky enough to secure an Illuminations Cruise for the Sunday before Thanksgiving. This is definitely the way to go!

Another board member had actually gotten the PS and she generously agreed to share it with us. Unfortunately, they had to cancel their trip and she transferred the PS to my name. Let me tell you, it was the best $140 (including tip) I ever spent! We were lucky enough to get Capt. Ron who was an absolute joy! It was just the four of us (me, DH and two DSs, 14 & 9) and it was one of their favorite moments of our first trip to Disney. We drove to the Yacht Club from WL and ate at the Yachtsman (great meal!). We arrived a little early and were thrilled to see our names on the board at the dock. Captain Ron gave us a great "tour" of the water area around the S&D, Y&BC and BWI. He even let my boys drive the boat. Made me a little nervous since it was a $35,000 luxury pontoon boat. Bring your own snacks and beverages and make it even more special.

I know this is a difficult PS to get, but out of the four boats that were available, only one other cruise had been booked. Apparently two others had cancelled. Keep checking constantly for cancellations. We had a fantastic time and would recommend this to anyone.

Originally posted by dtuleya
We were lucky enough to secure an Illuminations Cruise for the Sunday before Thanksgiving. This is definitely the way to go!

Another board member had actually gotten the PS and she generously agreed to share it with us. Unfortunately, they had to cancel their trip and she transferred the PS to my name. Let me tell you, it was the best $140 (including tip) I ever spent! We were lucky enough to get Capt. Ron who was an absolute joy! It was just the four of us (me, DH and two DSs, 14 & 9) and it was one of their favorite moments of our first trip to Disney. We drove to the Yacht Club from WL and ate at the Yachtsman (great meal!). We arrived a little early and were thrilled to see our names on the board at the dock. Captain Ron gave us a great "tour" of the water area around the S&D, Y&BC and BWI. He even let my boys drive the boat. Made me a little nervous since it was a $35,000 luxury pontoon boat. Bring your own snacks and beverages and make it even more special.

I know this is a difficult PS to get, but out of the four boats that were available, only one other cruise had been booked. Apparently two others had cancelled. Keep checking constantly for cancellations. We had a fantastic time and would recommend this to anyone.

Can you tell me if there is a certain board to find out who is willing to share a cruise or not? I'm going to try to book one myself too but it would be nice to have a back up plan. Thanks!

We've found the best free views to be ;

On the International Gateway Bridge (between UK and France) - this is directly over the area where the pontoons tie up. It gets very busy though, so an early 'stake' is probably necessary.

There's a little terrace just over the bridge into France where we took our 9 and 12yr olds. The view from the railings was unspoilt but we chose to sit on the raised wall at the back and then our DD could stand and get a great view without hindering anyone else's sightline.

Our favourite spot now is between Mexico and Norway where there's a little railing beside the Margaritta bar so we could perch before the show. It's the 'finishing line' for the 8 o clock Tapestry Show too, which was a lovely bonus.

We've done two cruises and would thouroughly recommend them - though we feel a capacity 'crew' of 12 would be a little crowded for our comfort.

Here's Kath's wonderful Illuminations Thread for everyhting you'd ever need to know about cruises and availability to share with fellow DISers.

Thanks for the link! At first I was thinking that I'd read that it cost per cruise and that wouldn't be very cost effective for one person since I'm going solo! But I'll check out the link and see if someone wants to share. If that doesn't work out- I appreciate the tips for free spots to watch it! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter